Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Waroduce posted:

I've hit on forever quest recently and it def woke up some nostalgia. I raided through PoP and left shortly into LDON and managed to do Hate, Veeshans, messed around in Sleeper, didn't really do end game Luclin and did some various shenanigans in PoP. I'm not super interested in the later expansions but I would very much like to experience the raids through PoP with more of a focus on through Velious.

I've heard pretty good things about the communities in p99 but how active is it in general and how active is the Goon communities? I really enjoy the social and grouping and I'm a little worried it'll be dead trying to climb the level ladder since I'm not coming in at launch and I'll struggle to advance.

Would a live TLP be better community and living wise?

takp

"the al'kabor project" with cheat engine to make mouse scroll work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I don't know what this means, can you explain?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

aparmenideanmonad posted:

It means you play 24/7 but you're not wearing pants.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

shirunei posted:

takp

"the al'kabor project" with cheat engine to make mouse scroll work

wait what how do you do this

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

gently caress if I know, but I'm mostly interested in finding 1-2 people to form a static leveling party with a couple nights a week.

Open invitation for anyone looking at rolling up on Blue. Probably gonna play a cleric or mage here

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Pillow Armadillo posted:

gently caress if I know, but I'm mostly interested in finding 1-2 people to form a static leveling party with a couple nights a week.

Open invitation for anyone looking at rolling up on Blue. Probably gonna play a cleric or mage here

What nights/time/time zone? I’ve been thinking about making a shaman

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I'm flexible, but thinking about getting started tonight around 11pm MST and taking it from there for a couple of hours.

I have a gnome magician in EC, so probably gonna stick to Befallen for a bit and see how it goes. This is on the Blue server if I didn't mention that in my previous post.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Still going on blue. Currently 3 characters shy of having all classes 60, and 2 epics short of having them all.

Hit me up on Clearbrook if you are new and want/need some gear/starter money.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Pratan posted:

Currently 3 characters shy of having all classes 60, and 2 epics short of having them all.

:drat:

Which two epics are you missing?

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Bard and warrior. Both fairly obtainable. Mage epic was rough.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've got a 34 or so Wiz floating around on Blue, if you get towards there I am down to join!

| CAN TELEPORT WOO

Ohh I'd love to do Splitpaw because I never really went there in OG EQ

TGG fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 26, 2022

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Pratan posted:

Still going on blue. Currently 3 characters shy of having all classes 60, and 2 epics short of having them all.

Hit me up on Clearbrook if you are new and want/need some gear/starter money.

I just started a couple weeks ago, I will definitely take you up on this - same name in game.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Eq is hosed up and also rules.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It’s really saying something wrt how much EQ wasted my life when I say I wish I had time to waste playing the game again now that I’m 40 with two kids.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

nwin posted:

It’s really saying something wrt how much EQ wasted my life when I say I wish I had time to waste playing the game again now that I’m 40 with two kids.

FWIW 40 w/ two kids sounds like half the people I’m playing with. Granted it’s not p99. The purists are not fond of them, but things like xp pots, holiday xp events, krono definitely smooth things out and lowers the barrier of entry for people that want to play but also have to juggle family faction.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yiggy posted:

FWIW 40 w/ two kids sounds like half the people I’m playing with. Granted it’s not p99. The purists are not fond of them, but things like xp pots, holiday xp events, krono definitely smooth things out and lowers the barrier of entry for people that want to play but also have to juggle family faction.

Lol I have 1-2 hours of free time a day, if that. I can never play everquest again because it would loving own me.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Just coming in here to shout from the rooftops that I finally, at long last, got my Runed Coldain Prayer Shawl this morning. NO MORE TRADESKILLING EVER! Woooooooooooooooo!!!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
What is the state of the game like currently. Considering dipping my toes back into it on weekends. Is it noob friendly/are there noobs?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

The server timeline for p99 green is now the same as p99 blue- chardok revamp + sleeper awakened. Regardless, there always seems to be some bump after the official TLP are launched.

You will see other low level toons leveling up but they will usually be solo or duo. However there are particularly popular spots I imagine you can still find a group- kurns tower or unrest, as examples. I’ve been trying to sell some leveling gear in the east commons tunnel and haven’t really seen much interest. It could be poor timing on my part (I should try over the weekend) but it’s also a sign most of the people playing now have some cache of leveling gear.

There are still guilds actively recruiting and raiding. If you joined one I’m sure you could connect with people who would want to level with you.

There was another xp table revamp that made karnor’s more popular relatively and other zones (the hole) less popular.

The most recent patch brought in pet windows and tab targetting. This makes playing classes that cc, especially enchanters, much easier to play.

As far as classes go you should play whatever you think is fun and like to look at. If you are interested in grouping you might consider you class choice some. Monk, enchanters, and to an extent bards are all classes that can solo and are desirable for groups. There is no more class/hybrid exp penalty but there are still racial exp penalties.

There are rumors that the green and blue servers will merge in the next year in preparation for a new server for another go-around.

You may also give some consideration to the alkabor project. It uses a different client that is more accurate for the emulation timeline. The big turnoff for the server is that it permits multiboxing (3 clients). This is accurate for that server due to how it functioned late in its lifetime (free accounts) until it was shutdown. That said, playing three clients is an entirely different experience than a single client (which is strictly enforced on p99). The upside for takp is generally the guild scene is far for moderated and there’s no discussion of “resetting” the server as far as I’m aware. That said, some people find the client itself and multiboxing very off putting, and the population numbers generally reflect that.

milkman dad fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 14, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

milkman dad posted:

There are rumors that the green and blue servers will merge in the next year in preparation for a new server for another go-around.

This is what I'm waiting on.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Rytheric posted:

What is the state of the game like currently. Considering dipping my toes back into it on weekends. Is it noob friendly/are there noobs?

There are no noobs. There are plenty of people who start new characters and go through the leveling process, but very rarely are there people who are new to the game. I restarted not long ago and joined Kittens on the blue server, and that's been a good experience. I can post in Discord that I'm looking for a group of a given level, and usually find something to do. But what you don't get today is the guaranteed grouping spots that you had even 3 or 4 years ago on P99. In the past you could assume that if you were willing to wait for a spot you would always be able to find a group in the normal zones (Back then I think it was Kurns -> Unrest-> Mistmoore Pond -> HHK Goblins -> MM GY/CE -> LGuk or Sol a/b to 51, then Kunark dungeons to 60) On the flip side, it's actually possible to occasionally find one of the lower level soloing spots open instead of being perma camped.

The 1-20 leveling experience is completely solo now fyi. People either have friends who will powerlevel through that in a few hours, or they'll do it themselves with a few Brazier of Elemental Summoning .

milkman dad posted:

There was another xp table revamp that made karnor’s more popular relatively and other zones (the hole) less popular.

I honestly had no idea why the only dungeon people were doing was KC. I thought it was just because CR was so easy and everyone has a Cleric alt logged out there, so this is relevant information I missed, thanks.

And yeah, lots of people excited about the prospect of the new server. The Green / Teal launch was fun, even if it was a bit of a poo poo-show because of the sheer volume of people joining. There was actually an issue a few weeks ago where people were being randomly moved to Oggok while they were logged out, then dying when they logged back in. The general consensus was that the devs were actively working on code solutions for dealing with characters after the merger, so hopefully it's at least in the cards for sometime before 2025.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I'm wondering how they will handle migrating green characters to blue if the blue character slots are full already.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

There is no way they are going to merge blue and green. Instead of the shitshow that is blue raiding with 2-3 hardcore guilds with 3-4 smaller guilds picking up the scraps, imagine trying to herd another 5-6 guilds in that same space. While green appears to be cleaner/nicer/more polite than blue, that would quickly change on a merger.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

War Eagle posted:

There are no noobs. There are plenty of people who start new characters and go through the leveling process, but very rarely are there people who are new to the game. I restarted not long ago and joined Kittens on the blue server, and that's been a good experience. I can post in Discord that I'm looking for a group of a given level, and usually find something to do. But what you don't get today is the guaranteed grouping spots that you had even 3 or 4 years ago on P99. In the past you could assume that if you were willing to wait for a spot you would always be able to find a group in the normal zones (Back then I think it was Kurns -> Unrest-> Mistmoore Pond -> HHK Goblins -> MM GY/CE -> LGuk or Sol a/b to 51, then Kunark dungeons to 60) On the flip side, it's actually possible to occasionally find one of the lower level soloing spots open instead of being perma camped.

The 1-20 leveling experience is completely solo now fyi. People either have friends who will powerlevel through that in a few hours, or they'll do it themselves with a few Brazier of Elemental Summoning .

I honestly had no idea why the only dungeon people were doing was KC. I thought it was just because CR was so easy and everyone has a Cleric alt logged out there, so this is relevant information I missed, thanks.

And yeah, lots of people excited about the prospect of the new server. The Green / Teal launch was fun, even if it was a bit of a poo poo-show because of the sheer volume of people joining. There was actually an issue a few weeks ago where people were being randomly moved to Oggok while they were logged out, then dying when they logged back in. The general consensus was that the devs were actively working on code solutions for dealing with characters after the merger, so hopefully it's at least in the cards for sometime before 2025.

Last I checked your log out position is part of the database scheme. There’s nothing too difficult about the migration if both schemes have the same item tables.

The character limit I think is only a client facing limitation. It’s possible they modify the client to make more slots available.

Alternatively, they don’t do anything at all!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

FungiCap posted:

I'm wondering how they will handle migrating green characters to blue if the blue character slots are full already.

Or having to rename hundreds or thousands of characters that have the same name on blue and green now

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I played all the way to endgame raiding on blue, even got myself a piece of vulak loot.

Here's what I learned:

Holy gently caress do not do endgame raiding. It is just an arms race of who has more free time. There are some seriously obsessive weirdos so keep it casual. I'd consider logging back in to give away my stuff but I can't even be bothered reinstalling.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Burt Gherkin posted:

I played all the way to endgame raiding on blue, even got myself a piece of vulak loot.

Here's what I learned:

Holy gently caress do not do endgame raiding. It is just an arms race of who has more free time. There are some seriously obsessive weirdos so keep it casual. I'd consider logging back in to give away my stuff but I can't even be bothered reinstalling.

The draft is fun (minus the VQ neckbeards complaining about it). There are chill "raid" guilds that do fun stuff and raid occasionally.

Am poor, will take any charity.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I started playing blue again back in 2020 out of covid boredom. Joined one of the big raiding guilds. Maybe some are more persnickity about raid attendance or spending all day playing but im not one of those people. I generally never do stuff like tracking or farming consumables, at most I might put up an AFK screenshare in discord or help port people around on a wizard. There are plenty of people who will burn hours to keep the guild ready to raid, and they get more spacebucks because of it which is fine by me. I still have loot that would have blown my drat mind back in 2000-2001

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Maybe rehashing here, but my experience as a newbie (played retail at launch through Kunark, start on blue a month ago) on blue has been great. I've actually met quite a few (maybe a dozen or so) completely new players, and the main leveling areas are almost always populated. People have been super nice and have just given a lot of gear to me just because I'm new. There are also a lot of high level players running through the normal leveling spots just dropping amazing buffs on everyone and sometimes pulling for you.

I would definitely say it's "easy mode" compared to what I remember, and it's a lot more chill leveling.

Also broke, will take any charity people decide to give out.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Dinurth posted:

will take any charity people decide to give out.

Don't have much spare plat but I can powerlevel you if you want.
Hit me up on discord if needed - that goes for anyone on Blue.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I know you can play casually at the end game but there's certain things I found were just completely inaccessible even for dedicated players.

Here's an example: want a spirit wracked cord? Cool, but there's some no-lifers who show up to the camp 10+ hours in advance. So if you don't have 16 hrs straight to burn just save up a few hundred thousand plat. And these were people who already had the item for their mains and a few alts.

My point is this. I'd rather keep dying 15 hours into my hard-core subnautica playthroughs than have to compete with that sort of neckbearding.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Got back into this, and I'm wondering if I should try to grind out a new bard on Green or just pick back up on the 55 one I have on Blue. The main thing making me hesitate is the stupid Gaz ring I'll need to farm up again, I remember that being a couple weekends project, and it is kind of critical to have one for swarm-charm kiting later on (particularly for my plan of just farming Phurz/Naz in BW for Wurm Scale Cloaks to make money).

So I'm kind of wondering, how dead is Blue compared to Green? Worth starting over on Green?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Office Thug posted:

Got back into this, and I'm wondering if I should try to grind out a new bard on Green or just pick back up on the 55 one I have on Blue. The main thing making me hesitate is the stupid Gaz ring I'll need to farm up again, I remember that being a couple weekends project, and it is kind of critical to have one for swarm-charm kiting later on (particularly for my plan of just farming Phurz/Naz in BW for Wurm Scale Cloaks to make money).

So I'm kind of wondering, how dead is Blue compared to Green? Worth starting over on Green?

Population wise they are usually closer than I would expect. Green typically has about 100-200 or so more people on, whether its 450-550 or 825-975 or something like that. I personally find starting a character and banging out those first few levels kinda fun and nostalgic, it really starts to become a slog in those mid-levels. And gently caress level 54.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Lakedaimon posted:

Population wise they are usually closer than I would expect. Green typically has about 100-200 or so more people on, whether its 450-550 or 825-975 or something like that. I personally find starting a character and banging out those first few levels kinda fun and nostalgic, it really starts to become a slog in those mid-levels. And gently caress level 54.

It's kind of what I noticed, was mostly wondering if Blue is more top-heavy than Green, kind of feels like it should be?

Ultimately I want to raise a Bard just to make some money and be able to twink out another class for solo farming (I hear Shaman is very good for this). Of course, if there's not a lot of groups mid-range on Blue to help level up off of I should probably just stick to Green? I have a pretty good PBAoE progression track for the Bard so he won't need to group up much at least, but the second class I want to raise probably will want groups.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Office Thug posted:

It's kind of what I noticed, was mostly wondering if Blue is more top-heavy than Green, kind of feels like it should be?

Ultimately I want to raise a Bard just to make some money and be able to twink out another class for solo farming (I hear Shaman is very good for this). Of course, if there's not a lot of groups mid-range on Blue to help level up off of I should probably just stick to Green? I have a pretty good PBAoE progression track for the Bard so he won't need to group up much at least, but the second class I want to raise probably will want groups.

Im sure Blue has to be more top heavy. But it can cut both ways. Probably easier to find a mid-range group on green, but if you're trying to farm a certain item or have a favorite spot in a dungeon its more likely to be occupado.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I've been sucked back into Blue. If anyone is just starting or wants to be e-friends send me a pm.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
https://massivelyop.com/2022/07/30/the-game-archaeologist-that-time-when-everquest-let-you-play-as-the-monsters/

Fun project M article. Being Queen Klacknack in Qeynos with a herd of fire beetle pals doing some star ship troopers reenactment was my personal highlight.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

https://massivelyop.com/2022/07/30/the-game-archaeologist-that-time-when-everquest-let-you-play-as-the-monsters/

Fun project M article. Being Queen Klacknack in Qeynos with a herd of fire beetle pals doing some star ship troopers reenactment was my personal highlight.

I was a resident player on test server when this was released. On the one hand, it was dope as hell; on the other hand, it brought a lot of prod server trash to the server. Same thing with full open pvp and race war.

It was pretty good getting twinked and buffed as an orc pawn in East Freeport tho.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I had a lot of fun with Project M. I'm pretty sure I was either a fire beetle or spiderling in Misty Thicket.

Did P99 ever implement it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My longest killstreak during Project M was as a young kodiak in Western Commonlands. That was so much fun.