Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

I like that the Deep was awed when he realized he was at Herogasm and he just ended up going off to gently caress an octopus (again?)

I mean I've never been to an orgy but I imagine couples still boink each other at them.

Not that he & that octopus are together, but it's still familiar,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FireWorksWell posted:

I like that the Deep was awed when he realized he was at Herogasm and he just ended up going off to gently caress an octopus (again?)

"It was Homelander's idea!"
Annie's eyes drop to the octopus he's currently loving.
"WHAT was his idea?"

:allears:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I really hope that at some point Deep gets de-powered and he can still "hear" animals, and it turns out they never spoke to him it's just his imagination and he's too loving stupid to realize that.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what would that add to the story and/or character

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

crepeface posted:

a powerful himbo energy

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

crepeface posted:

It'd be funny

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I mean, he got a bunch of sharks and a whale to chase them last season. Lest we forget one of my favorite scenes, Hughie sitting in a dying whale’s chest cavity next to its still beating heart looking absolutely defeated.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I know this filmed long before Peacemaker aired, but it was funny to see Peacemaker do the Aquaman fucks fish joke, and then the Boys had the Aquaman stand in loving a fish (or at least some kind of sea creature).

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 25, 2022

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

I really hope that at some point Deep gets de-powered and he can still "hear" animals, and it turns out they never spoke to him it's just his imagination and he's too loving stupid to realize that.

The implications of that, but him still having those weird gills crosses too many "suspension of disbelief / how does this work" wires for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Robobot posted:

I mean, he got a bunch of sharks and a whale to chase them last season. Lest we forget one of my favorite scenes, Hughie sitting in a dying whale’s chest cavity next to its still beating heart looking absolutely defeated.

He also found the Baltimore mayor's crashed plane and the box with Translucent's skin in it because of tips he got from sea life.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Also, Homelander got a real lesson on what it takes to run Vought.

He has been in charge for a few weeks, and the The Seven is down to The Two. He can't even focus on licking his wounds after the beating he took because the company is basically on fire and everyone is going to look to him to fix things.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Jerusalem posted:

"It was Homelander's idea!"
Annie's eyes drop to the octopus he's currently loving.
"WHAT was his idea?"

:allears:

Annie was great this episode. Loved when she was vouching for MM's skills.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I wasn't expecting Full Penetration but was kinda disappointed by herogasm just because in the comics 1. it being on private island gives it a more hedonistic secret-elites vibe rather than the more lo rent swingers party thing of the show and 2. the season already blew its load for mind scarring content in the opening of the first espidoe of S301

FireWorksWell posted:

he still grieving Timothy, trying to replace him

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 25, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

TyrantWD posted:

He has been in charge for a few weeks, and the The Seven is down to The Two. He can't even focus on licking his wounds after the beating he took because the company is basically on fire and everyone is going to look to him to fix things.

who is the other one in the two

noir - hiding
maeve - tortured
starlight - sanctimonious
deep - oh him

never mind.

loving hell homelander's only strong ally right now is THE DEEP.

boy's dead.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mcbexx posted:

Was that directed at Herogasm in particular?
I can imagine that the script initially asked for a slightly more explicit/homophobic reaction towards the gay couple in the previous episode than smirking and shrugging it off and Ackles was not ok with it.

No, nobody knows what it's about. The exact quote is:

quote:

Apparently, there was something in the scripts so extreme he had to go to Kripke with it. “As a father of three, and a son and a husband and a self-respecting human being, I can’t do this. I didn’t know where my line was, but you found it,” Jensen remembers telling him.

Eventually, Kripke said they were able to find “a compromise where I got what I needed without him destroying his soul.”
So it sounds like it was worse than being kind of a bigot.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I like Annie this season, but remember when she killed a dude for pulling a gun and then had a little bond with Butcher? Feels like she and Hughie should switch spots.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RobbZombae posted:

I like Annie this season, but remember when she killed a dude for pulling a gun and then had a little bond with Butcher? Feels like she and Hughie should switch spots.

Ashley's speech but it's directed at Annie too

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

RobbZombae posted:

hughie's feelings of emasculation feels a bit forced this season to me tbh. he was always the morality pet and starlight was the strong one. now that hughie's lost his moral clarity, he's just a loser fuckup like butcher without the swag. i guess his character had to take a hit for the theme, which is a shame.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hughie started the season trying to do things the "right way" with a government regulatory agency only to find out it was more bullshit controlled opposition (and found this out in an extremely traumatizing way) which could very plausibly shake someone's moral core and give them feelings of needing to be personally more powerful and not rely on anyone else's power

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

massive spider posted:

I wasn't expecting Full Penetration but was kinda disappointed by herogasm just because in the comics 1. it being on private island gives it a more hedonistic secret-elites vibe rather than the more lo rent swingers party thing of the show and 2. the season already blew its load for mind scarring content in the opening of the first espidoe of S301

he still grieving Timothy, trying to replace him
Also I wonder if the toilet cam gag would have been too much if it was a woman on the toilet.

SBs nonplussed response was petty great. :v: "That rear end in a top hat has been through some work. Looks like the Lincoln Tunnel."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Hughie started the season trying to do things the "right way" with a government regulatory agency only to find out it was more bullshit controlled opposition (and found this out in an extremely traumatizing way) which could very plausibly shake someone's moral core and give them feelings of needing to be personally more powerful and not rely on anyone else's power

I think that's what bothers me about his story in particular. He's perfectly set up by now to be pathologically focused on being 'strong' or being able to protect himself against the supes (and learning the hard way that being able to protect yourself doesn't mean much if you've isolated yourself from the things that makes life worth living). The whole chauvinism thing is an extra layer that doesn't add much other than making him seem skeevy.

Maybe they just want to do the whole Walter White thing where he finally admits it was never about Starlight and was always about him.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GunnerJ posted:

a fair point, but the writers put him in that situation. it changes his role as the audience surrogate to be shaded morally and therefor the structure of the show.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'd like to think that the crumminess of the herogasm is intentional, supes are an analogue to billionaires and others who are rich and powerful and the show is pretty deliberate in depicting these people as always being less glamorous than they'd like others to think they are; the super secret herogasm is pretty gross and has weird fish bestiality going on, it's not hot or luxurious, the normies who are there are only there cause they're getting paid no one wants to hang out with these washed up supes if they don't get something out of it, etc etc.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they're gonna get a lot of butcher and homelander loving cartoons after this episode if they don't already

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

GunnerJ posted:

yeah but moderate working within the system isn't the right thing, and it's fun that hughie finally loving realised this and now the show is shaming him for it, in every god drat scene

i'm with hughie for the first time in my loving LIFE

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think Homelander deserves to be happy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

crepeface posted:

a fair point, but the writers put him in that situation.

There's no situation in a work of fiction that the author(s) didn't invent, so...?

Hughie wanting to work within the system and avoid bloodshed is a plausible character motive for him as he's been established over the course of the show, and seeing the thing he put all his hopes into turn out to be bullshit is a reasonable motivation for his character to change. That's all I'm saying.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't know why you guys are complaining that this isn't just a simple didactic moral parable. It's an interesting dynamic that Hughie is broadly doing the right thing but for flawed self-serving reasons, the show doesn't need to be a Goofus and Gallant lesson

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GunnerJ posted:

There's no situation in a work of fiction that the author(s) didn't invent, so...?

Hughie wanting to work within the system and avoid bloodshed is a plausible character motive for him as he's been established over the course of the show, and seeing the thing he put all his hopes into turn out to be bullshit is a reasonable motivation for his character to change. That's all I'm saying.

that's the point im makin?

the writers have changed the audience surrogate to be secretly resentful of his stronger gf

i don't fully hate it because it still serves the theme that they're trying to explore, but it feels forced.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

No Dignity posted:

I don't know why you guys are complaining that this isn't just a simple didactic moral parable. It's an interesting dynamic that Hughie is broadly doing the right thing but for flawed self-serving reasons, the show doesn't need to be a Goofus and Gallant lesson

I think it’s more that the show feels like it teed up one thing (I’m tired of constantly being in danger and now for the first time I feel like I have a sense of physical security) to something that doesn’t feel like it was set up very well (I’m specifically threatened that my girlfriend is stronger than me)

Like I think there’s a way to mix the two. Maybe if Hughie that constantly needing to be saved was putting her in danger because it meant that anyone could get to her by threatening him, which we’ve already seen Homelander do and something Maeve warned her about generally in season 1.

Idk. Most of Hughie’s insecurity feels earned but the specific conversation he had with her this past episode doesn’t imo

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

TyrantWD posted:

He has been in charge for a few weeks, and the The Seven is down to The Two.

It’s one of the more subtle jokes that the seven has had seven members twice during the entire run of the show. Once in the first ep, and once this season.

Running taly:
Translucent: killed by the boys.
The deep: outed, reinstated.
Maeve: kidnapped
A-Train: removed, reinstated, possibly dead
Noir: in hiding
Supersonic: killed by the heroin that makes your face explode
Homelander: promoted!
Starlight: promoted to co captain, resigned
Abbie Hoffman: wrong seven

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

smoobles posted:

I think Homelander deserves to be happy.

Agreed

*Sharpens kryptonite zinc guillotine*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

crepeface posted:

the writers have changed the audience surrogate to be secretly resentful of his stronger gf

His entire reason for being in the team is that he was powerless to save his previous girlfriend from a supe so he's undoubtedly got a heap of baggage about this exact situation where his new GF is in mortal danger from another cape. He's not acting rationally, his PTSD is pushing him in directions he doubtlessly wouldn't have chosen for himself otherwise. His entire drive was to stop this ever happening again but even after everything he's done and all the poo poo he's endured it's really, really close to happening again.

Plus up until now there was simply no way he could go toe to toe with any capes so he had to fall in with Butcher and do a whole lot of horrible vile stuff in order to deal with them but then temp v fell into his lap and he suddenly does have the ability to simply punch the problem away so that's changed his entire perspective on how he views the overall situation and how he views himself and his relation to the people he cares about.

Plus part of him was probably really happy that his new girlfriend was a supe who was super strong and resilient and almost nothing on earth could suddenly kill like the last time, but now even that little kernel of security has been snatched from him.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Just finished S2. Stormfronts beating made me think of Kurt Russell's in Deathproof! Didnt totally like how she abruptly flew off to show up at a different scene though, and the 3 regular dudes got zapped by her without consequence, because there was nothing else for them to do in the scene.

Not sure if Hughie and Starlight are in a 'what do we do with these two?' spot for the writers but the wait and see approach is smart. And these sorts of things often fizzle out into friendships and its much more refreshing than forcing them together.

This show is solid. I dont know who the writers/showrunners are but they clearly have brains. And so many actors I dont know from anything else shine like crazy.

Clueless for whats next in S3.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Just finished S2. Stormfronts beating made me think of Kurt Russell's in Deathproof! Didnt totally like how she abruptly flew off to show up at a different scene though, and the 3 regular dudes got zapped by her without consequence, because there was nothing else for them to do in the scene.

Not sure if Hughie and Starlight are in a 'what do we do with these two?' spot for the writers but the wait and see approach is smart. And these sorts of things often fizzle out into friendships and its much more refreshing than forcing them together.

This show is solid. I dont know who the writers/showrunners are but they clearly have brains. And so many actors I dont know from anything else shine like crazy.

Clueless for whats next in S3.

You're in for a treat

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's so loving funny to me that after two and a half seasons of The Seven being five people, it was briefly seven again, and now it's just Homelander and The Deep.

I also appreciate that Neumann was smart enough to deduce that Hughie figured out her secret without a big scene about her overhearing something or spying on him. I enjoy when writers just let characters be intelligent.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 25, 2022

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

One thing that seriously concerned me in the Homelander Mirror scene was his line about trying to get people to love him, and he puts Starlight on the list.

Hooooly poo poo. Does he really believe that’s what he is doing to her?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
All the latest dialogue between Hughie and Annie is frustrating to me because the writers seem to be playing it out like a bad RomCom, where the main antagonist is always Unbelievably Poor Communication.

The audience knows that all these two have to do is tell each other how they really feel, and all of it is reasonable so everyone will understand and be happy. But instead, when one person explains their frustration, the other person, instead of addressing it, just furrows their brow, huffs and puffs, and walks off.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GreatGreen posted:

All the latest dialogue between Hughie and Annie is frustrating to me because the writers seem to be playing it out like a bad RomCom, where the main antagonist is always Unbelievably Poor Communication.

The audience knows that all these two have to do is tell each other how they really feel, and all of it is reasonable so everyone will understand and be happy. But instead, when one person explains their frustration, the other person, instead of addressing it, just furrows their brow, huffs and puffs, and walks off.

I don't know, it seems to me that there's a genuine moral disagreement between Annie and Hughie, yes we had a bit of the 'no more lies' RomCom ordeal but ultimately that's not what's driving the wedge between them. They can't just 'talk it out', it's not about honesty anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Annie is tired of compromising, Hughie is tired of losing and getting played by more powerful people. They are more aligned than they aren’t, but Hugh’s baggage about not being able to save Robin is poisoning him, plus realizing that Neuman was the Popper just destroyed his confidence.