Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

KozmoNaut posted:

He's the worst part of Mercyful Fate, by far. He's dragging actually talented musicians down.

You're entitled to your opinion, but this is mega wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I will stand by it forever and 100%.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

KozmoNaut posted:

He's the worst part of Mercyful Fate, by far. He's dragging actually talented musicians down.

You raise an interesting point, but you might want to consider this:

No

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I will not abide this King Diamond slander.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive never listened to MF/KD what are the go to starter albums for both?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kvlt! posted:

ive never listened to MF/KD what are the go to starter albums for both?

Don’t Break the Oath or Melissa for MF and Abigail for KD. Can’t really go wrong with those.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Good

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This rules

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Not taking sides here, but on the subject of MF/KD I would like to link this classic piece.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

But not only do I not understand a single word he's saying, I don't even know what the overall message or emotion of the song is supposed to be! It is true of classical singing as well as for any other style: there is no need to sacrifice communication for the sake of stunning effects like this. All I hear is virtuosity. At first it's cool, then it gets boring, and you shouldn't feel bored listening to metal.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
It's pretty easy to understand what he's saying (certainly in contrast to just about any extreme metal release) and extremely easy to pick up on the overall message of his music, though. Denmark already has one major metal figure who's aggressively subpar compared to their contemporaries. No reason to try to put that on King as well, especially considering he's cool and good.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

NihilCredo posted:

Not taking sides here, but on the subject of MF/KD I would like to link this classic piece.

A “real musician” on Ozzy: “just bad throaty singing... Made my throat tight to listen to him. How long did his career last?"

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Ah yes, a vocal coach critiquing the vocalists of a genre where the majority of lyrics sound like they were burped into a microphone.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NihilCredo posted:

Ah, the original Vocal Coach Reaction. It was a really cool read back in the day, though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Any of y'all hear this Final Light album that came out yesterday? It's Johannes from Cult of Luna screaming/playing guitar over Perturbator's brand of dark/atmospheric synthwave. I'm listening to it now and it's interesting. Definitely not a match I expected to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0TC4I_SImg

Perturbator did a remix of Cult of Luna's song "Cygnus," and it ruled my life for a few years, so I was very glad this was released.

I'm not wild about it yet but I was in a rotten mood yesterday, so we'll see how it goes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

the algorithm works

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

King Diamond sucks, with his stupid-rear end falsetto.

:hmmyes:

It’s true

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I play just about every type of metal for my kids and they can deal with it. Put King Diamond on and it’s the only thing that makes them laugh until they poo poo their pants

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Metallica’s covers are better than the originals

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

your kids suck poo poo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i respect the legacy and impact of old heavy metal bands, but i do not understand the appeal of metal with vocals like king diamond whatsoever. like i'm sure people would hear slam vocals and laugh their rear end off, too, but that old school high pitched shriek stuff is very embarrassing to listen to.

i am curious to understand the style's roots tho. to me it seems "obvious" that metal bands would incorporate growls to have the lyrics be as "heavy" as the music. but i find it so weird that bands singing about hell and the devil would want to sound like they're singing opera music or whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was the 80's. A lot of people made some extremely questionable style decisions in those days.

(though the trend technically started in the 70's I stand by the statement, everyone sees it as an 80's phenomenon)

I think it came from the success of stadium rock, they were making use of what worked.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Listen to any 70s hard rock. It's what was popular. That's where it came from.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

awful takes itt. reader beware!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Listen to any 70s hard rock. It's what was popular. That's where it came from.

Yeah there’s definitely a line from Robert Plant to Halford to all the 80s guys that try to sound like Halford. King Diamond is way more idiosyncratic than any of them though. It’s dumb to reduce him to being the guy with the falsetto—he does a bunch of different voices to portray different characters and ideas.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

He sings about ghosts and sings like a ghost, but doesn’t sing like Ghost.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Perfect voice for songs about grandmothers and tea

quote:

But not only do I not understand a single word he's saying, I don't even know what the overall message or emotion of the song is supposed to be! It is true of classical singing as well as for any other style: there is no need to sacrifice communication for the sake of stunning effects like this. All I hear is virtuosity. At first it's cool, then it gets boring, and you shouldn't feel bored listening to metal.

This is a very silly take, not only is he esl but non-native opera singers and choirs tend to bungle italian, latin and german pronunciation and nobody gives a gently caress

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i hate all forms of clean singing

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

King Diamond rules what the gently caress is going on in here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i hate all forms of clean singing

Well I hate incoherent growling so this data collection is already off to a great start!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was never a big King Diamond fan but always blamed my own weird taste limitations, not the King. The style just isn’t really for me but I’m happy he’s out there belting it out like that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hulk Krogan posted:

avert your eyes, there be falses afoot

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Hulk Krogan posted:

New thread title!!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't even really listen to King Diamond (or Merciful Fate), but I still recognise that he is cool as poo poo.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 26, 2022

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

When the thread title says Get Dumb it doesn’t mean like this.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nordick posted:

I don't even really listen to King Diamond (or Merciful Fate), but I still recognise that he is cool as poo poo.

He's a dweeb LaVeyan satanist from a lovely suburb of Copenhagen.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

He's a dweeb LaVeyan satanist from a lovely suburb of Copenhagen.

Get worked, mark

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

symbolic posted:

avert your eyes, there be falses afoot

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

King Diamond and Mercyful Fate loving rule.

You don't have to like em but saying they suck is some dumb rear end poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
ive never listened to a full song, tbh