Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Yep. You'd have to go back to 2016 to hit another campaign of theirs that ended in the 5-6k backer range (assuming this one ends around there). This is a big dud for them at this point. Probably not enough to hurt them given some of their recent huge campaigns.

Not enough to hurt, but it sure doesn't help as the not-so-secret rumor is that they need rolling campaigns to maintain momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I still don't get it, are they in a warehouse or not? Didn't they raise a bunch of funds for a second release?

I also would like my box

Blacklist has been claiming since February that QML has all the packages in a warehouse and they’ve secured funding to ship everything and just need to provide QML with an updated backer list, which is like, really hard man cause of all the backers.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah the latest update basically said that because of the delay, QML is treating it like a new fulfillment. Supposedly it'll start when a currently running one completes.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

lol they hired ant lab games (who rebranded after leaving board games for being shitlords and pal'ing around with chuds)

gently caress em'

"leaving board games" *does board game kickstarter previews*
:hmmyes: Perhaps their claims of being bullied out of board gaming were slightly exaggerated? :hmmyes:

Also, 'shitlord' is a criminally underused word, thank you for reminding me of it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I hope this fits here... My partner is putting out a puzzle experience, similar to some of the escape-room-in-a-box products like Exit or Unlock (though this is pretty different from both). This is her company's very first Kickstarter and she's very nervous about it, so if it's your jam she'd certainly appreciate a follow! If you like puzzles (both jigsaw-flavor and deductive-flavor), mysteries, or dogs, it has a lot of all of those. In fact, it has my dog! Here he is playing poker:

The campaign starts at 10AM tomorrow morning, US Central time. Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trappedpuzzlerooms/ruff-bluff-a-furlock-holmes-mystery

I hope this is TG-adjacent enough to fit here!

Can you tell me anything about their add-ons, like what kinds of puzzle experiences to expect with their trapped takeout stuff or how their digital experience thing works?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

armorer posted:

Yeah the latest update basically said that because of the delay, QML is treating it like a new fulfillment. Supposedly it'll start when a currently running one completes.

this makes no sense and i think they owe QML money and have to close the next kickstarter or whatever for them to pay the bill

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

jarofpiss posted:

this makes no sense and i think they owe QML money and have to close the next kickstarter or whatever for them to pay the bill
They definitely owe QML money and my guess is that when they (I say they, but it’s really just one man still working at BLG, Alex Lim) got an investor earlier this year, they were immediately sued by a prior shipping partner and settled for all the money they had just gotten. So back to square one is my assumption, where Fantasy Series 1 minis are sitting in a Florida warehouse and their other unfulfilled projects manufactured but stored Chinese warehouses.

At least they had enough money to ship out Hour of Need, so I got that one.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Can you tell me anything about their add-ons, like what kinds of puzzle experiences to expect with their trapped takeout stuff or how their digital experience thing works?

Sure! The digital experience is run via Telescape, so if you've done any avatar rooms or online escape rooms that's probably the platform they used since it's pretty ubiquitous. That said, Museum Mystery is all custom art and kind of closer to a video game-like experience. You move around through the space to interact with puzzles and characters so it still feels pretty escape room-y but in practice is also a bit like a point & click adventure, but with sort of designated hotspots to interact with and more focus on escape room style puzzles.

The Trapped Takeout experiences kind of run the gamut of tabletop escape style puzzles--so some logic & word puzzles, some physical manipulation puzzles, some that are kind of unique and don't fit neatly into the more common "categories" of tabletop puzzle stuff. Were you the one who posted about Emerald Flame in the board game thread? They're very much along the lines of that kind of experience, though in my wife's own estimation, she thinks they have "better puzzles but worse production values." They're very... indie, I guess? My wife literally prints and assembles them in our home office, lol. So they won't have the nice componentry that stuff like Emerald Flame/Unlock/Exit tend to, but the puzzles are really solid and the actual art for all of the experiences is quite good. They tend to shoot for challenging puzzles with light-hearted theming, and they are absolutely full of puns so take that as you will.

The Trapped Takeout page has more detailed info on the individual experiences than the Kickstarter page does: https://www.trappedpuzzlerooms.com/trapped-takeout/

I've playtested all of them at various stages of production so I can probably answer any specific questions about the Trapped Takeout stuff if you have any. I did Museum Mystery but it was a while ago so I don't remember it as well. The one thing I'd note is that Taco Twosday requires two people to play it, and honestly I think it's more fun (but harder) if you do it over discord or voice chat, or some way that you aren't able to see the other player's puzzle materials, and it was kind of designed with that in mind.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

They definitely owe QML money and my guess is that when they (I say they, but it’s really just one man still working at BLG, Alex Lim) got an investor earlier this year, they were immediately sued by a prior shipping partner and settled for all the money they had just gotten. So back to square one is my assumption, where Fantasy Series 1 minis are sitting in a Florida warehouse and their other unfulfilled projects manufactured but stored Chinese warehouses.

And Barnes and Noble got retail copies of Contra, Mega Man, and...I think there was one other.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So, potentially dumb question: A friend of mine is kickstarting a tarot deck, and I was wondering if it'd be legit to post it in here, or if there'd be somewhere better elsewhere to get potentially-interested goon eyes on it?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Goon and goon-adjacent crowdfunders go in here, so you should be good to go.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tarot is totally a tabletop game :justpost:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So my friend is currently kickstarting a feminist, queer friendly, and sex-positive tarot deck. She's spent several years working on the designs, and several of them feature people from our local nerd/hippie community (all with consent).

I've seen a pre-production sample as part of helping set up the behind-the-scenes stuff with Kickstarter, and it is gorgeous.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/katrinblackwater/katrin-blackwater-tarot

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Well that looks really, really neat!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
That's a really nice looking deck. I collect tarot decks (still waiting on my Alleyman's Tarot), so I might kick in on this one. I'm glad your friend had all the designs done -- I've seen too many decks that look interesting only to find out that they had generic pips for the minor arcana.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

ive never gotten burned on a kickstarter and this is probably one of the cheapest ones i’ve ever backed so personally i hope the saga drags out as long as possible

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Tarot is totally a tabletop game :justpost:

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm glad your friend had all the designs done -- I've seen too many decks that look interesting only to find out that they had generic pips for the minor arcana.

And, aesthetic value aside, I feel tarot decks with designs for each card are better for nearly all non-tarot tabletop game uses (namely, RPGs that use tarot for anything).

I order from the UK so rarely. My sense from a few orders over the past 20 years is that Royal Mail > USA shipping is not oppressive -- can somebody who does this more confirm my vague memory?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, what are some of your favorite tarot uses in rpgs?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, what are some of your favorite tarot uses in rpgs?

They make great initiative trackers, and if you learn how to read them they can be a helpful GM tool in the same way as those like, dice with various smiley faces on them. Draw the tower? Oh false promises and shakey foundations lead to crisis! Draw a reversed death? Looks like the villians plans are resistant to change and their backup scheme comes into play, etc

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I always liked how Deadlands' initiative was card based.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

They make great initiative trackers, and if you learn how to read them they can be a helpful GM tool in the same way as those like, dice with various smiley faces on them. Draw the tower? Oh false promises and shakey foundations lead to crisis! Draw a reversed death? Looks like the villians plans are resistant to change and their backup scheme comes into play, etc

I played a tarot (technically Harrow, the Pathfinder-branded knock-off) using character in a game once and did a full 9-card drawing at the start of each book of the adventure path. The results ended up spookily accurate, in much the same way as any other vague prophecy is if you have people buying into it. Everyone at the table enjoyed it, though, and it's something I'd like to do again with a full, real Tarot deck one of these days.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StarkRavingMad posted:

That's a really nice looking deck. I collect tarot decks (still waiting on my Alleyman's Tarot),
Mine showed up in the UK and I am very satisfied at the number of deaths.

Considering using the blanks for some specifically rpg-themed things.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Mine showed up in the UK and I am very satisfied at the number of deaths.

Considering using the blanks for some specifically rpg-themed things.

I ordered a touched one so mine is likely to be awhile still!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Odd question, but did anyone's Kickstarter Activity feed stop updating today? I keep getting new email notifications from other project's updates, but I checked the app and on the web and the last activity in the feed is from 7am this morning.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is there anyway to look at Kickstarter and not show anything with the word "STL" in it. 95% of games seem to be them now.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Odd question, but did anyone's Kickstarter Activity feed stop updating today? I keep getting new email notifications from other project's updates, but I checked the app and on the web and the last activity in the feed is from 7am this morning.

i think so. there was that green dot earlier but no new updates

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

StarkRavingMad posted:

That's a really nice looking deck. I collect tarot decks (still waiting on my Alleyman's Tarot)

Got my tracking number shortly after you wrote this so thanks for... unjinxing? it!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Comstar posted:

Is there anyway to look at Kickstarter and not show anything with the word "STL" in it. 95% of games seem to be them now.

What is STL?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CitizenKeen posted:

What is STL?

File format for 3D prints.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Comstar posted:

I'm guessing the high price of shipping and the fact that more nerds have 3D printers now makes it a great time to start selling STLs on Kickstarter.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

JazzFlight posted:

I'm guessing the high price of shipping and the fact that more nerds have 3D printers now makes it a great time to start selling STLs on Kickstarter.

Yeah it's just a gimmick. I personally don't believe the 3D printer market has reached saturation yet so you won't be getting the maximum return on your kickstarter if that's all you offer.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

CitizenKeen posted:

What is STL?

The topic of 95% of games kickstarter's. File format for 3D printers, and there's no way I can find to stop them showing up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah it's just a gimmick. I personally don't believe the 3D printer market has reached saturation yet so you won't be getting the maximum return on your kickstarter if that's all you offer.

It completely eliminates warehousing, shipping, and manufacturing costs - as well as delays and unpredictability by dealing with third parties.

You still need to design figures, but from some creators' perspective it's a great direction. I agree that it's frustrating when there's no alternative, but it's definitely not a gimmick or going away.

Offloading manufacturing to the consumer is a win for everybody. I pay substantially less than I would for a pre-made figure, the designer gets to pock more of it and sell the design forever without worrying about stock levels or storage.

But it's annoying when there's no alternative. I feel like there's room for a "shapeways that isn't trash" somewhere in this market to fulfill distribution.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Comstar posted:

The topic of 95% of games kickstarter's. File format for 3D printers, and there's no way I can find to stop them showing up.

Maybe number of campaigns but not big ones. I rarely see them in the board games and rpg space, which make up the vast majority of games kickstarters.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

What is STL?

A city. I live there. Sort of.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

djfooboo posted:

A city. I live there. Sort of.

if you can call it living

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bottom Liner posted:

Maybe number of campaigns but not big ones. I rarely see them in the board games and rpg space, which make up the vast majority of games kickstarters.

Just looking atmy last three backed STL campaigns, I see one that broke $120,000 for some modular fantasy buildings:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ian-margherit/the-town-of-grexdale-a-medieval-tabletop-town

That's not bad at all for a campaign where the primary cost will be paying yourself. They developed a following with some small, pay what you want campaigns; back in November they got a whopping $1490 for a single building STL. Their 4th campaign got $144,000 from 1500 backers. Looking further back, the STLs for Ukraine campaign got 5,833 backers pledging $440,222, so that'd match a good-sized boardgame campaign.

So it looks like a prolific modeler can make a very nice living on Kickstarter already.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
If I was making my minis with 3D tools I’d probably switch to just selling STL too. You lose a big part of the market but you eliminate almost all costs and risks as a producer, even more so if you make your designs yourself. Suck for people like me who don’t have a 3D printer, but it’s getting easier and easier to get stuff printed by semi-amateurs in your local hobby facebook groups if you really want to.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I was so close to going in on the Ankermake 3D printer last month, had an early bird reserved and all, but just really didn’t know where I’d keep the thing in my house. The only spot i could think of was my garage, but it’s not temperature controlled. Didn’t want to worry about a noisy, hot piece of equipment running for like 8 hours.

I love the concept of 3D printing, I’m really just waiting for the mainstream model to finally come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

JazzFlight posted:

I was so close to going in on the Ankermake 3D printer last month, had an early bird reserved and all, but just really didn’t know where I’d keep the thing in my house. The only spot i could think of was my garage, but it’s not temperature controlled. Didn’t want to worry about a noisy, hot piece of equipment running for like 8 hours.

I love the concept of 3D printing, I’m really just waiting for the mainstream model to finally come out.

I want to say we're really close, I've made like two modifications to the CR-10S Pro V2 and it's been perfect since (but I like to pretendI know what I'm doing).