Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Video Game Aspie posted:

I remember playing EQ, fun times. <Triton> was the best MMORPG guild I was ever in, and I used to spend way too much time in MMORPG's. I think I still have a manastone on P99 green lying around somewhere at least. Regrettably, I lost access to both of my live accounts many years ago. Those 20,000 + hours spent raiding, farming loot, gearing up alts, all gone. Oh well, our guild achieved more gamewide firsts than any other guild in EQ so at least there's that :jeb:

Here is an ancient picture of when some of us broke into the Plane of Mischief before the zone was even finished and accessible to the public. This is the EQ I know and love, the modern game is a wretched and abhorrent abomination that looks and plays nothing like this. I don't think we'll ever get another game like this ever again.

I used to love reading Tritons frontpage for kill updates back in the day. Was often funny as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Zil posted:

I used to love reading Tritons frontpage for kill updates back in the day. Was often funny as hell.

Man, I’d read Triton/Fires of Heaven/Legacy of Steel/Afterlife’s front pages like they were real world news back in the day, seeing all that crazy loot I could never imagine getting.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Hard pressed to think of any of the quality of life improvements or some of the even more substantial parts of the game I’d want to play without.

Two are obvious to me in how they’ve changed the way you interact with the game but that are both sort of universally loved.

Maps. I love maps, but you move through and learn and interact with zones in a different way when you know where all the zone lines are, have everything labeled etc. But I wouldn’t want to move backwards towards /locing all the time, dead reckoning where to go, losing a chunk of time here and there just moving about.

The extended targeting window. The broadened awareness this provides and the way it enables hotkeying is game changing, but to me in a positive way. It enables a more nimble and interesting style of game play for support classes. Whenever I level up a new character I miss it big time until I hit level 20 and it feels like you can see what’s going on.

The old old style eq that was a little more communitarian and a lot more punishing time wise just seems less viable in an age where a week of frustrating experiences will prompt a player to log into another game or opt for a different experience. That kind of austere mmo that depends on other people to progress is going to suffer from not being able to keep the people around you need for that sort of experience. TLPs recapitulate this experience every time and that’s even with the QoL gamechangers like parcels, krono, guild hall, etc etc. Would project 1999 be able to avoid this sort of force of gravity if it moved beyond velious? Not sure it could.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yea unfortunately the world Everquest launched in just doesn't exist anymore, back then exploring the world was a real thing and you never knew what you would find, nowadays everything is there in the databases and, while the extended target window IS really nice + valuable intel, it does make the game feel more 'game'-like and less surprising. Gone are the days of the puller thinking he just grabbed 1 or 2 mobs and being surprised when 20 show up and wreck the place.

But yea. nowadays even when new content drops everything gets datamined + mapped out and discovered within hours in most games, sometimes even before the patch is playable. Even if you could recreate the old game, or a completely new + unique game that resembles the old one, it wouldn''t be played + experienced the same way, because people have so much more experience with the genre.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I remember being 12 years old and being amazed when I got to a new city. I’d spend hours just exploring Erudin or something when there was basically nothing at all for me to actually do there.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Moving through old zones vs new zones you can feel the shift in mentality. Kunark and velious especially but even still somewhat in luclin zone lines would be obscured and sometimes hidden behind horizons, corners, forked tunnels etc. And of course eq atlas was a thing but I wasn’t alt+Tabbing to check websites and especially at first (though there was a period otherwise) I wouldn’t print a map out from eq atlas.

And then you have expansions and zones like broodlands. One zone. Pentagon in shape. All the other zones in the expansion accessed via waypoints.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Yiggy posted:

Moving through old zones vs new zones you can feel the shift in mentality. Kunark and velious especially but even still somewhat in luclin zone lines would be obscured and sometimes hidden behind horizons, corners, forked tunnels etc. And of course eq atlas was a thing but I wasn’t alt+Tabbing to check websites and especially at first (though there was a period otherwise) I wouldn’t print a map out from eq atlas.

And then you have expansions and zones like broodlands. One zone. Pentagon in shape. All the other zones in the expansion accessed via waypoints.

Our guild more or less says it this way, Classic to Velious was made by people who loved a good dungeon crawl, with a raid target being the "end" of it. All the original classic dungeons had the idea of being interesting, getting seen a lot and all kinds of stuff like that.

POP + was a lot more about raid content with minimal group content. Then you get stuff like LDON that goes the other way again. Later xpacs got even more messy always adjusting things, adding events that had to be grouped as prep for raids or just raids.

EQ really wanted to be 2 very different games, a dungeon crawler all about working as a team, and a raid game all about killing big complex mobs. Once raid gear totally out paced group gear and you needed 20+ keys in an xpac the game well tried really badly to be both and went with raids as the solution.

WOW, being the first successor to EQ went this way too in the first release. You could do group content and cool quests in the world in Classic with only a Dragon and MC once a week to clear. To get your best stuff you had to really do a bunch of different content as items were really well spread all over the place.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Everquest accidentally invented the MMO end game as a solution to a problem with content generation speed. The games it owes its design to didn't have an end game because you could more or less always add more content in an MUD if you needed to. At some point the devs looked around and a large portion of their playerbase considered the poo poo they'd thrown together to occupy players at high level to be the "real" game (including two very specific players better known for other work) and I don't think they were really sure how to square they game they'd intended to make with the one the people spending the most money actually wanted. I guess eventually that problem solved itself.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They also accidentally created content patches. If part of the expansion wasn't ready for launch they'd 'break' access to it and fix the bug when it was ready.

WoW devs decided to do the same, but withhold it fron launch completely and introduce the stuff later saying 'look at all this free stuff were giving you!'

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They also accidentally created content patches. If part of the expansion wasn't ready for launch they'd 'break' access to it and fix the bug when it was ready.

WoW devs decided to do the same, but withhold it fron launch completely and introduce the stuff later saying 'look at all this free stuff were giving you!'

WoW Devs did put a bunch of half built junk in the game too at least in Classic.

One funny thing they did, there is a mini model of Dal inside Dal. the mini model was simply a scaled down full Dal. Caused so many people to lock up trying to load dal twice

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

PyRosflam posted:

WoW Devs did put a bunch of half built junk in the game too at least in Classic.

One funny thing they did, there is a mini model of Dal inside Dal. the mini model was simply a scaled down full Dal. Caused so many people to lock up trying to load dal twice

I vaguely remember paladins briefly having a spell at some point that used the same animation that plays at the end of the sunwell raid just scaled down to like 5% size and just as laggy

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
On Vaniki we finished plane of sky off with a bang last night with 6 crowns dropping for the mages.

And now I never intend to go back again ! That said, I'll take plane of sky over plane of air any day.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Xpost for some guidance

Waroduce posted:

I've hit on forever quest recently and it def woke up some nostalgia. I raided through PoP and left shortly into LDON and managed to do Hate, Veeshans, messed around in Sleeper, didn't really do end game Luclin and did some various shenanigans in PoP. I'm not super interested in the later expansions but I would very much like to experience the raids through PoP with more of a focus on through Velious.

I've heard pretty good things about the communities in p99 but how active is it in general and how active is the Goon communities? I really enjoy the social and grouping and I'm a little worried it'll be dead trying to climb the level ladder since I'm not coming in at launch and I'll struggle to advance.

Would a live TLP be better community and living wise or p99?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

P99 is terrible. A TLP is literally exactly what you’re looking for. It’s the old school nostalgia with all the qualify of life improvements you never knew you needed.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Xpost for some guidance

It you decide to try out Yelinak, I have a 50 Druid there and can help you get started. The true box TLPs are what you’re looking for. Not p99.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Xpost for some guidance

P1999 raiding is terrible unless you enjoy fighting over scarce resources. Everything is open world and contested.

TLPs are close enough to the original and the changes are mostly for the better. The pick zones and the AoCs are huge improvements. The expansion pace is kind of fast, but it's slow enough that you still have time to complete most content.

Yelinak is where you want to go. It's a standard ruleset TLP that's fairly new.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Appreciate both of you! I'm downloading the client now.

I'm interested in being relevant and participating in the raids. My first romp through EQ was as a Ranger (RIP me I didn't know) and I enjoyed the experience of being a puller and kinda independent but I don't want to relive that struggle. They were also pretty trash honestly up until AA's came out.

Considering the group play I'm after and desire to raid, I'm considering Bard?

I feel like Shadow Knight and the hybrids are super gear dependent which is gunna be rough for me unless i get lucky

Druid is ok, but not great and I feel like people won't always pick them up to group

Monk is fun and i like FD but i just remember being very gear dependent and auto-attacking alot.

Chanter/Cleric is probably the best move for easy groups and exp...or mage? Necro can be fun too....hmmm.

Anyway I'm downloading the client, probably going to play Bard. Hopefully I don't have to break my fingers twisting and I can use that melody feature i heard about.

Snotty By Nature posted:

It you decide to try out Yelinak, I have a 50 Druid there and can help you get started. The true box TLPs are what you’re looking for. Not p99.

Is there a EQ goon discord I can toss you a ping on? I have PM's if you dont wanna post your ingame name.

Also, what's the shape of guilds on Yelinak? I'd like to level and raid so :shrug:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Shaman is best, hope this helps. You can tank, pull, DPS, heal, debuff so well no one needs to heal, buff, melee (eventually), top DPS charts in raids. Best class. Be an ogre. Or be any other race but you'll have to come to terms with your vast, vast inferiority.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If your race isn't iksar I don't care what class you are playing, u hosed upp

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
There are three types of people that play Everquest. Those that play iksar, those that play ogres, and those that are playing the game wrong.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I will not stand for this Troll erasure

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I will not stand for this Troll erasure

That snare necklace is worthless.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Iksar and Ogres? I’m from Rivervale and I say kill ‘em all!

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

BGrifter posted:

Rise up!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Just not very high.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm not eating the lovely faction, lack of merchants and exp penalty for iksar though

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

BGrifter posted:

I would play an assling shaman in a heartbeat.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

BGrifter posted:

I agree with killing all halflings.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm going to pop on as a Bard, but I'd be open to a class change if there's anything that is generally desired by a group, some solo-ability and is a puller / generally very active in raids that is NOT a cleric as I don't want to stand, CHEAL, CHEAL, sit, look at bars.....look at bars......stand CHEAL....sit...look at bars forever and ever

e: Iksar SK is semi-tempting I never did any of the early/mid-level stuff on Kunark tbh but the lack of vendors and straight KOS for most cities would make me big sad

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 26, 2022

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Waroduce posted:

I'm going to pop on as a Bard, but I'd be open to a class change if there's anything that is generally desired by a group, some solo-ability and is a puller / generally very active in raids that is NOT a cleric as I don't want to stand, CHEAL, CHEAL, sit, look at bars.....look at bars......stand CHEAL....sit...look at bars forever and ever

e: Iksar SK is semi-tempting I never did any of the early/mid-level stuff on Kunark tbh but the lack of vendors and straight KOS for most cities would make me big sad

Bard, shaman are the two classes that fit your bill pretty well. Desired in groups, can solo, dynamic play. Just make sure to go agnostic half elf for bard or ogre for shaman or you hosed up.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Indecisive posted:

If your race isn't iksar I don't care what class you are playing, u hosed upp

Ogre shamans can solo guardian worms. Iksar shamans cannot reliably solo guardian worms :drat:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Zil posted:

I would play an assling shaman in a heartbeat.

I wish Halflings could pick Bard or Shaman. Illusion mask is okay but I love Rivervale as an origin. Love that Rivervale theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZCd1cUbs20

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i have an OGR SHM on yeli but honestly considered TRL. is it just frontal stun or is it their beautiful looks?

because, i mean, Troll has that run where they look like they're gonna poo poo their pants AND their asscrack hangs out with a leather tunic on.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I'm not eating the lovely faction, lack of merchants and exp penalty for iksar though

What XP Penalty?

I'm not sure what you're talking about lovely faction and lack of merchants, both west and east cabilis like all flavors of iksar so that's all you need.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bard is fun as hell and can do everything. Be a bard. Gotta go fast.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cmdrk posted:

i have an OGR SHM on yeli but honestly considered TRL. is it just frontal stun or is it their beautiful looks?

because, i mean, Troll has that run where they look like they're gonna poo poo their pants AND their asscrack hangs out with a leather tunic on.

It's both stun immunity and the ravishing good looks of the sons of Rallos Zek.

But also, troll and iksar regen becomes less impactful the higher level you get as you get access to higher level Regen spells. You also have potions of rejuv and green/red pots and torpor that ultimately makes the 12/tick or whatever even less meaningful. The troll clinging darkness neck is useless; cast time is too long, duration is too short, snare is too weak.

If you don't play Ogre, and you solo or do a lot of tanking/pulling/CC in groups, there will absolutely, without a doubt, be instances where you die or your group mates die because you got stunned during a root/slow/heal or, particularly, torpor, due to torpor's 6s cast time. The beauty of stun immunity is that if a slowed mob does < 300 damage per tick, you can tank it indefinitely as an ogre with torpor, but a string of bad luck as a troll will find you dead or oom as you have to close the gap between interrupted torpor's with mana inefficient direct heals.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

RCarr posted:

Bard is fun as hell and can do everything. Be a bard. Gotta go fast.

I've always liked playing a mnk/shm combo but solo brd is best class indeed, raiding and getting one of the best buffs in the first 4 expansions (Ancient Lcea's Lament) to use to support your guild/boxes with loving rules. Also definitely gotta move fast!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Coolnezzz posted:

I've always liked playing a mnk/shm combo but solo brd is best class indeed, raiding and getting one of the best buffs in the first 4 expansions (Ancient Lcea's Lament) to use to support your guild/boxes with loving rules. Also definitely gotta move fast!

Chiming in while I'm unapologetically stanning shamans. Mnk/shm is a stupid strong combo but will eventually run into tanking/taunting problems, probably around PoP, and before you get tagars/togors/turgurs. Shd/shm solves those problems but has dismal DPS by comparison, but also has a lot of sustain and burn potential from shadowknight lifetaps. Warr/Pal+shm are generally worse choices than shd imo.

My girlfriend and I did shaman and shadowknight through luclin on Aradune, and it was great, very little we couldn't do as a duo, particularly once we got 60 and torpor. duo clearing wings of howling stones for rare spawns was a lot of fun and a great challenge. I've also boxed monk+shaman to 60 on a couple emu servers, also perfectly valid. There's also shenanigans you can do with shaman FD ring for either combo. Like fding your way to seb juggs and duoing juggs to farm 60 spells, duoing guardian worms in skyfire for 60 spell drops, duoing sirens grotto for ink drops and other stuff, etc, etc, etc.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Chiming in while I'm unapologetically stanning shamans. Mnk/shm is a stupid strong combo but will eventually run into tanking/taunting problems, probably around PoP, and before you get tagars/togors/turgurs. Shd/shm solves those problems but has dismal DPS by comparison, but also has a lot of sustain and burn potential from shadowknight lifetaps. Warr/Pal+shm are generally worse choices than shd imo.

My girlfriend and I did shaman and shadowknight through luclin on Aradune, and it was great, very little we couldn't do as a duo, particularly once we got 60 and torpor. duo clearing wings of howling stones for rare spawns was a lot of fun and a great challenge. I've also boxed monk+shaman to 60 on a couple emu servers, also perfectly valid. There's also shenanigans you can do with shaman FD ring for either combo. Like fding your way to seb juggs and duoing juggs to farm 60 spells, duoing guardian worms in skyfire for 60 spell drops, duoing sirens grotto for ink drops and other stuff, etc, etc, etc.

You can add a necro into this duo and target destroy pretty much the whole game for many expansions.

I'm playing sk/shm/bard now because bard is life, but in later expansions when the game gets "hard" to box some things, sk/shm/necro is amazing for target hopping and killing pretty much anything the game can throw at you. I was still doing it up to Empires and the combo was still awesome. Anyone who's fine with the gearing and time requirements for playing an Everquest tank can pick up extra necro and quadruple overall dps with almost no effort. Pet focus + a couple dot focuses is all you need for gear, and it can go places even more effortlessly than the SK

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm semi-tempted to box, but I've never done so and I really enjoy the social/group aspect of EQ. Even if a full group of 6 is less efficient than a group of 2-4 the magic for me is that 6 man dungeon crawl.

Trip Report:

TLDR: Logged in, played for 4-5 hours, am now level 7.

Made my bard in GFAY, dropped into the bard class house and became aware of the A key on my keyboard so as to not accidently auto-attack the NPC and get murdered.

I was overwhelmed by the channel options irt to New Players, Continent, and some other options. Not sure how to talk in them (the command) or what channel numbers correspond to what channels....and how to tell.

Some dude was LFM for a lowbie group where everyone was levels 1-4 and grinding BB. I intuited this as Butcherblock, you know me being in GFAY and all since I want access to that mezz song at level 8 and I started my run before being the highly perceptive individual that I am, that the party chat had nothing to do with dwarves but was talking about gnolls.

So I deleted my bard and re-rolled into South Quenyos which I have vague memories of from leveling a Barb Shaman at some point.

Got reinvited to the lowbie group and through great concentration made my way to Black Burrow as a level 1. Saw Frippy Darkpaw talkin poo poo as I left the zone but I was on to bigger things. Bout halfway to BB hoping I was going the right way (hug right wall, 2nd zoneline) I remembered this game had maps and I verified my direction.

Zoned in to BB with my lowbie group of 3 others. Not sure what they were but we had some healer type, a monk, and a warrior or paladin or someone using a shield and 1h to tank. We worked our way all around and through BB and had an absolute blast doing a little dungeon crawl. We eventually added 2 other guys and we had quite a nice little rolling ball of death through the lower levels but never got to kill any of the names bc there were dudes getting PL'd with some high level people on all the good spawns. Kinda sucked, but we'd occasionally catch high level druid buffs like thorns and skin like wood/iron whatever which was super duper nice.

I ended up dying around level 5 when for some reason one of the high level people decided to leave and took half the zone with them. I took the opportunity to sell all my poo poo, buy some bags, buy my songs till level 10 and went back to da grind.

One of the people I was grouped with noticed I was manually twisting songs and whispered me about melody which LMAO makes my life way easier so that was super cool.

We /friended each other and now I'm like level 7 or 8 and probably going to go back in and try to find some peoples to bang out level 10.

A couple questions:

0. I got a bunch of gnoll fangs and bits of gnoll fur or whatever. Maybe 2 or 3 stacks each....is it worth the run to Halaas to go turn em in?

1. I'm in South Quenyos which is a bit off my standard leveling path. where should I go when I hit like 10/12? I see people posting LFG's and such like 15 War LFG anywhere and I'm assuming those people have higher level chars/connections that can handle travel for them.

1b. I would be open to any advance for zone leveling path advice.

2. Related to travel, I have 0 moneies, so I'm assuming beg or hoof it are my options currently and there are no like mounts or cute fast travel mechanics I am unaware of on a TLP?

3. I purchased a Chronos bc I have more money than time, and I want to sell it in game to fund my character's travel, pre-planar gear and general quality of life. Is this viable on a TLP? I'm assuming since no Bazaar, I should Seelo's my way over to EC tunnel? What is a decent price usually? If this is against rules or something obv I will not do it, but it seemed like Daybreak is cool with hit.

3a. Related to purchasing items is there any like....items sold tracker or stuff that I can utilize for price checking or not without the bazaar?

4. What in the gently caress is up with the advanced loot tool? It's a wonderful feature and best I can intuit I've currently got it set to only pop on new items which I than can filter via Need, Greed, AN, AG and some other options. Is Need/Greed session/group specific and AN/AG is like...forever if it drops again? Is there a little guide or FAQ related to this floating around anywhere?

Snotty By Nature posted:

I'll hit you up this evening EST if you're around I got distracted yesterday :)