Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the docking situation with the deck?

The OS isn’t quite there yet to make it completely seamless. There’s a lot of issues getting the resolution to play nice especially if your display’s native aspect ratio is 16:9. It is definitely functional though and good for when you want to do work on the Deck’s desktop.

The official dock is delayed but we’ve seen pictures of it in the wild in Valve employee’s homes so I have no reason to believe it’s cancelled.

In terms of increasing power like the Switch you’re also not going to get that, but for something functionally similar I highly recommend Moonlight, a Linux flatpak that tricks GeForce Experience on your Windows gaming PC into thinking your Deck is an NVIDIA Shield to stream to. I have decent but not great Ethernet and Wi-Fi, and I am very sensitive to input lag, but the latency has been practically unnoticeable to me and the quality is great - plus you can set it to change your desktop to a fitting resolution when it connects so you’re not cramming a 1080p signal or higher into an 800p screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Asylum, City, and Knight all work fine. They're marked as unsupported because the benchmarking tool crashes the game 100% of the time. So just don't benchmark them on the Deck.

I can’t get Asylum to run on my Deck without getting a weird Windows-esque error message.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I tried connecting my Deck to my 4k screen, but my hub limits 4k to 30fps and it just makes games run weird.
I wish there was a way to force the Deck to output everything at like 1080 or 720p. I think the problem is that the overlay is always whatever resolution your display is, so it was forcing 4k.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

ThermoPhysical posted:

I can’t get Asylum to run on my Deck without getting a weird Windows-esque error message.

I was getting the same however found this which did the trick! Not too difficult

Go to Desktop Mode

Open the Discover app

Install ProtonUp-QT and launch it

Select "Add version" and choose to install the desired version of GE

Back in "Gaming Mode", set games you want to use it on by opening their properties (from the cog icon to the right when you select a game), and going to the "Compatibility" tab

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The virtual keyboard on this thing could really use some work.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One of the best things about the Deck so far is that I have had a bug to replay a lot of games from 6/7 years ago as well as some even older ones. And I played all of these on PS4 and it's kind of wild playing them on a handheld on higher settings at 60fps. Like, not only is there no compromise I'm playing versions of these games that are better than I remember them on a thing that is the size of a Switch.

Also if you ever take your giant TV for granted, play nothing but games on Steam Deck for 3 weeks straight and go back to it. I never even bat an eye at my 65 inch TV, but now I go back to it and play something and I'm like "holy poo poo this is like a movie theater.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Welp, just put down the $5 reserve for the medium deck. My wife actually was far more gung ho about it than I was; a big part of me thought it might be frivolous, but she was 100% "we are loving getting this and playing No Man's Sky TOGETHER" (which I also want to do, of course). We already have a gaming laptop that we have to share, but once we get the Steam Deck... :toot:
Fast forward at least 6 months, you get a package, Mrs. Buttermilk goes, "what in the world is this? Steam what now?"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

veni veni veni posted:

It should be an aligned grid because sometimes i push up on the d pad hoping to hit a key and instead it goes to the right or the left.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm actually clearing out my Steam backlog and I'm also hiding a whole bunch of titles I know I'll never play, or play again. This is liberating.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/lawrenceyang/status/1540809830000013313?s=20&t=8pMRRxKND0psulPFfkPiWA

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

It's impressively bad, borderline non-functional

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I assume the Steam Deck is compatible with a huge range of SD cards, including SDXC - right? Can I order pretty much any micro SD card?

I'll probably put this honkin' 1TB card in it. I don't want to need to swap cards, like, ever.

(Also holy cow Micro SD cards can hold a terabyte now? Amazing.)

Any microSD should work; I use the cheaper 1 TB Sandisk Ultra in the Dreck (and Switch) with no problems.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is that a fast enough mSD? I know class10 is what you want, but especially in video/photography speed is important

That's a perfectly fine SD card in terms of speed. Sustained write speed is important in video recording, and read speeds in general are usually higher than writes. For general use, both of the Sandisk cards discussed are A1 or A2 for sustained IOPS, although I'm not sure what the Dreck actually supports. Any SDXC card that you'd actually want to use in the Dreck should have enough performance.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Papercut posted:

It's impressively bad, borderline non-functional

I find it funny that there's an option to turn on and off the R2/L2 presses as clicks for the keyboard, but there's no way to turn off pressing in on the trackpads to select keys.

Does the auto-brightness adjust on the Deck just not work at this point or is something weird going on? The option has always been greyed out for me and I don't get why even have the option there if it's not ready yet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Oh I should mention that everyone should buy Heavenly Bodies, it's a perfect fit for the Deck in all regards (type of game, pausability, power draw...) and also a really good game in general. I missed it the last time it went on sale and finally got it when it went on sale again and I absolutely love it. Match made in Heaven ;)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Commander Keene posted:

Fast forward at least 6 months, you get a package, Mrs. Buttermilk goes, "what in the world is this? Steam what now?"

Hahahah as if; we're both counting down the days.

I'm thankful she's MORE into it than I am, and I am definitely into it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just finished Obra Dinn on the Deck and it is another great fit. Liking the opportunities the Deck affords me to do something for my backlog.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

veni veni veni posted:

sigher posted:

I find it funny that there's an option to turn on and off the R2/L2 presses as clicks for the keyboard, but there's no way to turn off pressing in on the trackpads to select keys.
Yeah it's impressively terrible, it feels like a Windows XP Tablet PC on screen keyboard, and not anything like all of the actual decent mobile keyboards we've had for over 15 years. And they still haven't fixed it.

sigher posted:

Does the auto-brightness adjust on the Deck just not work at this point or is something weird going on? The option has always been greyed out for me and I don't get why even have the option there if it's not ready yet.
I think they found the auto-brightness was tanking game performance because lol valve can't code for poo poo so they disabled it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lmao, oh well, as long as it can get fixed that's fine.

Another weird rear end thing about the keyboard, usually I get fed up using the trackpads for input and I'll just use the touchscreen to type on the keyboard but doing so makes the haptic motors louder than loving poo poo, it's like they tried to emulate a loud mechanical keypress with it but it's incredibly annoying.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Finally was allowed to purchase this thing the other day. I almost passed because I'm between jobs but I figured if I decide I don't want it in a pinch I could resell it, but I secured a job later that day so now I'm super hyped for this thing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

v1ld posted:

Took a look at the mod as FFXII on the Deck is something I'll eventually play as well. The first is from data\main and second

The mod isn't doing any patching, it copies files over from within itself to fixed positions within the install. If you do the same copies, you should be able to play it no problem - haven't tested, just from looking at the config.

E: TL;DR. You have to copy two 'ps2data' folders into your install's 'ff12data' folder. The first is under 'data\main' in the mod. The second is from one of the 'data\jobs\***' folders where '***' is one of the 4 folders there, pick one of the 4 options and copy the 'ps2data' folder under that option.

See the 'FFXII SFF 1.9.1\Struggle for Freedom\fomod\ModuleConfig.xml' file for how the files copies are done as that file is what controls the Vortex installer's prompts offered to you at install time.

There are 2 sets of file copies specified in that file. E: they must be copied in the order below as it's possible that the second set overwrites files from the first set.

The first starts with the line that says '<group name="Main" type="SelectAll">'. This is the set of files that must be copied over, no options here. The details of what to copy are on line 12: '<folder source="data\main" destination="ff12data" priority="0" />'. This says to copy the contents of Struggle for Freedom\data\main to your install folder's ff12data folder. So copy that 'ps2data' folder over into the 'ff12data' folder in your install.

The second set of files starts with the line '<group name="Job Alterations " type="SelectExactlyOne">' - this is a set of options from which you must pick exactly one. This seems to control the mod's alternate job boards (which seems very cool - thanks for pointing out this mod). There are 4 options here, each with its own description and image that Vortex will display for you. Here's the first option for example:

code:
<plugin name="SFF">
  <description>The Struggle/Freedom Jobs, which feature unique jobs for each character based on their canon roles, each with two set Espers and Zodiark being a Wild Card that can be assigned to anyone. Struggle jobs are linear with little room to diverge from the set License path, whereas Freedom jobs are more open, similar to FFXII's original boards.</description>
  <image path="images\sff.jpg" />
  <files>
    <folder source="data\jobs\sff" destination="ff12data" priority="0" />
  </files>
  <typeDescriptor>
    <type name="Optional"/>
  </typeDescriptor>
</plugin>
Pick the option you want, then look at the line within that option that specifies the folder to copy. For eg., if you want the SFF option, the first one, see the line above that says '<folder source="data\jobs\sff" destination="ff12data" priority="0" />' - copy the contents of the 'data\jobs\sff' folder into the 'ff12data' folder in your install.

Note that you're copying the contents of the folder, not the folder itself. Both the 'main' and option folders contains a folder named 'ps2data' - that folder should be copied over to the 'ff12data' folder.

That should work - though I'm not going to be trying this out myself right now.

thanks so much for writing this up, I'm going to try this in a while. I'll report back how it works for me

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the virtual keyboard is pretty shocking, and makes you appreciate how far we've come on mobile devices.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beyond the sloppy functionality sometimes it straight up doesn’t work. Like, in fallout 4 the backspace button doesn’t work, so combined with the laggy unresponsive presses it took me like 15 minutes of backing out completely just to name my character and log in to Bethesda.

Game runs great after that though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Beyond the sloppy functionality sometimes it straight up doesn’t work. Like, in fallout 4 the backspace button doesn’t work, so combined with the laggy unresponsive presses it took me like 15 minutes of backing out completely just to name my character and log in to Bethesda.

Game runs great after that though.

It's been faster for me to just pull out a USB keyboard and a usb-A to usb-c adapter any time I need to type something

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My only current "issue" with a verified game is with FF8 Remastered. If I put the Deck to sleep and come back the game is completely unresponsive to controls. Not a big deal since I generally quit out regardless of what I'm playing but it's still a small annoyance.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I always connect a bluetooth keyboard to the deck if I need to type, it's just more convenient.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Hahahah as if; we're both counting down the days.

I'm thankful she's MORE into it than I am, and I am definitely into it.

Just a word of warning, if I were you I’d stop counting the days, to save your own sanity. You just put down your $5 deposit, so you’re probably at least a year away from getting it.

I did mine for a 512 model in April and I’m expected to get it sometime November next year.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

Just a word of warning, if I were you I’d stop counting the days, to save your own sanity. You just put down your $5 deposit, so you’re probably at least a year away from getting it.

I did mine for a 512 model in April and I’m expected to get it sometime November next year.

Is that what Steam's own estimate says? Do not trust third-party estimates for this, they are almost certainly full of poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Valve themselves said it's looking like October 2022 :shrug:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Got my deck, day 1 res a few hours after preorders went live. Played some new TMNT with my kid, was fun
Thanks

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Do you have a more specific estimate than the Deck page's "After Q3 (October 2022 or later)"? Because that doesn't necessarily mean you're locked in for October, it just means that Oct 2022 is the earliest you could possibly purchase a Deck. At this point you should probably assume the "or later" is the operative phrase in that estimate and put the Deck out of your mind for now.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have a long haul flight (about 12 hours) coming up.

Recommend me some great Deck games that:
- Do not require an internet connection
- Won't require me to Google stuff to figure out how to play
- Will still be fun / playable once my brain is scrambled after being awake for the entire flight because I'm terrible at sleeping on airplanes

The seat will have a power outlet, so I'm not worried about battery life.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm willing to try a huge variety of games. Don't worry about genre or anything :justpost:

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 27, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Boy do I have some bad news about that!

It’s probably too late now, but I fly a lot and you can never rely on that outlet working.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

MarcusSA posted:

Boy do I have some bad news about that!

It’s probably too late now, but I fly a lot and you can never rely on that outlet working.

I fly a lot too. Yeah sometimes the outlet doesn't work, but in my experience it usually does. And my ticket is business class, where the amenities are likely to be better maintained (airlines have a strong incentive to keep high paying business customers happy, and few things make them unhappier than a dead laptop battery).

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'd probably do a fresh Fallout 3/NV/4 or Skyrim run and just gently caress around. You'd easily have 12 hours of content that doesn't require a lot of thought or reflexes.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I’m about 12 hours into Persona 4 Golden, highly recommended for making 4 hours disappear in a stretch between 16 hour bouts of sleeping with covid.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Vampire Survivors is great for killing time

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

- Will still be fun / playable once my brain is scrambled after being awake for the entire flight because I'm terrible at sleeping on airplanes

EDIT: Oh, and I'm willing to try a huge variety of games. Don't worry about genre or anything :justpost:

Some good deck-compatible offline games off the top of my head that don't require any wikis or video guides to have fun with: Ace Combat 7 (might be tough late into the flight). Most platformers like the Blaster Master Zero games and Bloodstained. Monster Train is my favorite deck-building rogue-lite. Or the ultimate zone-out games: Euro Truck Simulator 2/American Truck Simulator.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Hell if you stick to just 2D games that aren't Unity and clock your deck down then you can easily hit 8 hours without power.

Not mentioning anything that's been already mentioned I can think of:

Mandagon
Cave Story Secret Santa
Loop Hero
Slay the Spire (and/or your favorite StS clone)
Stardew Valley (and/or your favorite SD clone)
Delver
Spelunky 1 or 2
That indie SRPG that's like Fire Emblem

JazzFlight posted:

I tried connecting my Deck to my 4k screen, but my hub limits 4k to 30fps and it just makes games run weird.
I wish there was a way to force the Deck to output everything at like 1080 or 720p. I think the problem is that the overlay is always whatever resolution your display is, so it was forcing 4k.
I found that if your screen can do 2560x1440 (aka is a monitor and not a tv) then you can set get 60fps out of any USB-C adapter that is stuck at 4K30

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 27, 2022

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
When would I use Lutris vs. Retroarch (via Emudeck)?

My understanding of Lutris is that it's a frontend for games. It integrates with several storefronts, like Epic and GOG, allowing you to install and launch games from those storefronts.

It also apparently serves a Retroarch like function where it can install "runners" (similar to "cores"?) to run games, including emulated games? Is that right?

So what would motivate someone to choose Lutris vs Retroarch if they're focusing on emulation on Deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You missed the "or later", which is a massive asterix on that date.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is that what Steam's own estimate says? Do not trust third-party estimates for this, they are almost certainly full of poo poo.
It says "October 2022 or later" which is literally the latest estimate they give, so I mean if I want a 4-infinite month window on their estimate then I can follow that but it's fairly meaningless.

Third-party sites provide vastly more clarity, and when you understand the assumptions they make then you can understand what might affect that prediction. For example, an increase in production rate will cause that date to shorten, but we haven't really seen one since their estimate of how far the timeline advances vs. what it acutally does trends pretty accurately for the short-term.

The real chance I have of it arriving any earlier than that is the gradual reduction of orders meaning that a week's worth of production begins covering a day or more's orders, vs. at the moment with it being literally 30 seconds of orders or so. However, the estimate calculators could already account for this by following what would probably be a fairly precise long-tail bell curve that they could estimate based on people providing their order data. I haven't checked if they account for this.

In any case, my point was that it's not going to arrive in days, week or even months if you place an order now. Assuming October this year is a recipe for disappointment. Just to be clear, they've only process the first 6 hours worth of pre-orders for US 256GB models.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 27, 2022