Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

bamhand posted:

Is Tal Rasha viable for anything anymore? Why did they kill the whole set?
I think the only thing Tal's is viable for anymore is being the easiest wizard set dungeon.

Like, I guess you could probably run a Twister or Frozen Orb build on it I'm just not sure why you would. It's a very sad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have no idea what these gems do or if this configuration would be viable for any build much less a build for the character you decided to do this on but this is what it took to get 6 unique gems:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Bust Rodd posted:

For the morbidly curious

https://dimi777.github.io/diablo-rift-simulator/

This is a simulation of Diablo: Immortals lootboxes, so you can see how much you’d have to spend to get anything cool.

I got a 4/5 gem on my third rift which is way better than I would do in rl.

A mere £75 which is not that much less that I have spent on d3 in 10 years.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Besides good old number go up, is there content to apply this newfound power to? I guess I don't know what the D:I endgame is.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dameius posted:

I have no idea what these gems do or if this configuration would be viable for any build much less a build for the character you decided to do this on but this is what it took to get 6 unique gems:

that's 2510 rifts, at say 3 minutes each, so over five straight days of pure rift grinding not including the time you have to spend re-upping in the shop or anything else

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I wonder if it was Blizz or Activision people who came up with this monetization scheme for Immortal

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Orc Priest posted:

I wonder if it was Blizz or Activision people who came up with this monetization scheme for Immortal

There is functionally no difference at this point.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Orc Priest posted:

Probably the guys who chug breast milk found in a fridge.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Orc Priest posted:

yes

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Don’t forget King.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think a better question would be: was the monetization already this bad in the earlier NetEase game that Immortal was reskinned from

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Probably, from what I understand they were already infamous for this poo poo across the ocean

So Blizzard themselves probably didn't bring too many suggestions on how to horribly monetize the game, but in the end they still signed off on it so gently caress them anyways

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
What do you mean, that was loving easy

(yes holy poo poo it's time to buy a lotto ticket)

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Just wanted to casually point out that you can 100% play the entire Immortal story without paying anything or being made to feel like you should be.

I know that's not the point of the series for fans (me included), but I imagine there are some who would enjoy a run through the game (I did) but don't realize this.

Frankly, the endgame looks like it'd be lovely even if the p2w stuff was removed. The story and basic gameplay are certainly nothing amazing, either, but should have some appeal to many fans of the series.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Diablo 3 is 50% off on Switch. You'll get hundreds of hours of the best version of the game with no p2w at all. come join us all

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The best lazy build I'm the game is hydra wizard imo. Just let the boys do the work and you port around. I think that was the first ever season class set I picked up and I just ran with it for a whole season cause it was so fun

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's not the laziest build but because of how versatile it is, fire bells is just about the best all round build of all time in the game. Wouldn't be surprised if I had over 1k hours on just that build alone.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

What do you mean, that was loving easy

(yes holy poo poo it's time to buy a lotto ticket)

Unfortunately you just spent your luck on a simulation of a lottery.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Just got to Act 3. I learned that I can map any skill to any button and now I’m unstoppable. If the storm armor doesn’t get them, disintegrate will. Have arcane orbs floating around in case something happens to get close. This game is great :allears:

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Haven’t played d3 in a few years and it’s still so fun. Went with barb even though raekors was not my favorite set in the past, but the addition of ancient spear splitting on impact is insanely fun. I just wish I didn’t have to use boulder toss to be optimal because I find the spear runes cooler looking. The piercing one seems decent for speed farming though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To whoever said "aim for a weapon with -level requirements for leveling", thanks for the incredible tip. Running around with a level 70 weapon at level 54 is hilariously good.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did D2 Resurrected do anything about the utterly impossible drop rates, or add instanced loot? I can't believe I'm considering buying D2 for a third loving time (and with Kotick still in charge) but ARPGs don't exactly have a good intersection of quality and ethics.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Did D2 Resurrected do anything about the utterly impossible drop rates, or add instanced loot? I can't believe I'm considering buying D2 for a third loving time (and with Kotick still in charge) but ARPGs don't exactly have a good intersection of quality and ethics.

Nope, still impossible drop rates w/ endless amounts of scrolls, pots & trash blues/whites!

Welcome back!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shumagorath posted:

In addition to the drop rate comment no instanced loot so good loving luck picking up anything in a multiplayer game that's not you and actual IRL friends.

That said, I have D2R and I enjoy it, but what I've done is rolled a bunch of single player, local characters. As in non-battlenet. Players 8 works in SP and I can grind away to my heart's content and make weird builds with the oddball legendries I crap out here and there.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shumagorath posted:

There was a tiny increase in the drop rates of runes in the 1.13 patch in 2010. Otherwise, not currently.

Blizzard is making new patches for D2R, so it's not totally impossible that drop rates won't improve eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think we will ever get instanced loot.

Tomb vipers don't deal physical damage in their poison clouds anymore. Yay.(?)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
D2 resurrected is so good but the idea of rolling an online character fills me with a visceral fight or flight response, its just absolutely tedious doing any kind of mid-late game stuff without the /player command

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

D2R is tempting for some self found characters, but just thinking about the endgame triggers some mild PTSD.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There are a lot of public games that are titled "5 min mf run-06". You just find a zone you can do pretty quickly solo in a five-player game. My secret spot has been the two temples in the Kurast Bazaar with my lightning sorceress now that all six of them are area level 85 zones. The only lightning immune monsters are elites if the have lightning enchanted and my mercenary can deal with them.

Getting into Discord servers with groups has also been a big help. But that's not really an option for the Switch's adult audience.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

D2 resurrected is so good but the idea of rolling an online character fills me with a visceral fight or flight response, its just absolutely tedious doing any kind of mid-late game stuff without the /player command
Do what I used to do, and name your game "Free PTorch". When the last player arrives, tell everyone you dropped it somewhere in the Act 2 final tombs, Act 3 jungle or Arcane Sanctuary. Proceed to solo Baal while everyone wastes their time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The zen realization I've had with D2R is figuring out how to build characters that can get to the endgame WITHOUT chasing after specific unique drops

The game gives you to the tools to do this

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'll say it again, gently caress the online forever. Non-instanced loot just makes it a non-starter. Offline is a ton of fun though.

The real problem is that they won't let you do local multi. Being able to use my dumb offline characters to play with an old college buddy would be amazing, but neither of us want to gently caress around with the rest of the online mess.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I wouldn't really be thinking about D2R this much if it was more than another ten bucks on top of D3 with their summer sale. At least I'd only be buying D3 a second time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll say it again, gently caress the online forever. Non-instanced loot just makes it a non-starter. Offline is a ton of fun though.

Yeah non-instanced loot just makes d2 a single player game for me which kinda sucks because running around in d2 with friends is a ton of fun.

Whereas in d3 you can also do that and have a ton of fun with no caveats because all the loot that drops is just yours.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Star Man posted:

It's called a house style.

WarCraft III, World of WarCraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III all use the Blizzard house style that's been in use since 2001. You can even see elements of it in WarCraft II's and StarCraft's concept art by Sam Wise.

Overwatch's in-game art is the beginning of Blizzard's house style going through a major change, but a lot of its concept art still carries a lot of the 2001-2014 style.

Studios develop house styles all the time. It gives a sense of identity for the company and their products. You can tell Disney cartoons apart from Warner Bros cartoons. Or a director will just have a particular artistic vision and all of their work will have a certain look, like shows done by Bruce Timm of Don Bluth.
It's fair to say house style influenced Diablo 3, but it did so to the series' detriment:

1) Diablo 1 and 2 light radius and the constant grim poo poo you'd find in level art worked together to create a horror aesthetic that the house style wipes out utterly with overly bright colours and clearly-seen monsters.

2) The music absolutely fell flat in the same regard.

3) Hordes of enemies went from being existential threads to something you just plow through (this is design and not art style, but I feel like "busy" overlaps with the art choice significantly).

They seemed to have learned their lesson for D4, but the bottom line is I should be scared going into a new dungeon.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Nope, still impossible drop rates w/ endless amounts of scrolls, pots & trash blues/whites!

Welcome back!

Yeah, except this time you can't mod it to be fun. D2 R is loving whack.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's funny cuz D2R is just barely moddable enough that people can give the Assassin big ol' tiddies but not enough that you can recreate Eastern Sun in HD

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

It's fair to say house style influenced Diablo 3, but it did so to the series' detriment:

1) Diablo 1 and 2 light radius and the constant grim poo poo you'd find in level art worked together to create a horror aesthetic that the house style wipes out utterly with overly bright colours and clearly-seen monsters.

2) The music absolutely fell flat in the same regard.

3) Hordes of enemies went from being existential threads to something you just plow through (this is design and not art style, but I feel like "busy" overlaps with the art choice significantly).

They seemed to have learned their lesson for D4, but the bottom line is I should be scared going into a new dungeon.

But that's like, just your opinion man. I've been playing the series since d1 launch and I overall enjoy D3's art direction, though it isn't free from critique. Funnily enough, to me at least, I'd say where the art and mechanics meet on the swarms of enemies is one of the areas it does quite well.

I honestly can't comment on the music because I've had in game volume set to 0 for years now and I can't really remember it that well. I'll just defacto concede the point because I still turn sound on specifically for the d1 gr every year just to listen to the gold drops

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Dameius posted:

But that's like, just your opinion man.

It’s not just theirs, that’s the problem

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Idk how anyone ever looked at D2 and thought oh yeah this is real horror i'm spooked. I remember young me laughing at the bright red goblins screaming RAKANISHU and the big dumb yetis with giant shoulders. And that's before even getting into the fact that it's a game where you do extremely gamey things; hunt for items with higher numbers so you can blow up monsters and other players faster/harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i don't think it was scary, but it was definitely atmospheric