Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Still holding the tiniest Soldier Boy is good actually flame under the theory that he was purged for planning to unionize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

ElBrak posted:

Ya Homelander fights stupid cause he never had to fight before. I wonder if he ever bothered training at all.

He probably got training during his childhood—"ultimate weapon" and all that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Do you think Homelander gives up the cape? That was a brutal Ackles line delivery.

He also gets pulled down from his energy beam fight with Butcher by the cape.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Still holding the tiniest Soldier Boy is good actually flame under the theory that he was purged for planning to unionize.

You mean the guy who spent a good 5 minutes ranting about how men aren't men anymore?

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR1opArF/?k=1

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the mirror conversation was a bit easy but i liked that it actually made me believe and understand that homelander does want to be loved. he just hasn't ever been, and has no understanding of how it could happen. there's more of a core to the guy now than there was before this episode, it sort of explains everything he's done. sure he's had the mommy complex, the ego stuff, but underneath all of that crap is just a very scared and lonely man, and i think even he realises this now.

it also makes it about 100 times more likely he's gonna nuke the world very soon, so they better get him taken care of asap.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TIP posted:

pretty sure laser blasts, chest energy blasts, and teleportation can all go up

on that note, it would be funny if in the next fight homelander tries that and gets teleported back to the ground nude and hugged by nude hughie

Eh, it's still a pretty major advantage. The only thing that can actually hurt him is the chest blast and it takes ages to charge.

Anyone else notice Homelander said he watched all of Soldier Boy's movies "hundreds of times" while he was growing up? Guess we know another part of Vought's 'create the perfect hero' brainwashing-torture.

roomtone posted:

the mirror conversation was a bit easy but i liked that it actually made me believe and understand that homelander does want to be loved. he just hasn't ever been, and has no understanding of how it could happen. there's more of a core to the guy now than there was before this episode, it sort of explains everything he's done. sure he's had the mommy complex, the ego stuff, but underneath all of that crap is just a very scared and lonely man, and i think even he realises this now.

it also makes it about 100 times more likely he's gonna nuke the world very soon, so they better get him taken care of asap.

Honestly one of the best Homelander bits was his freakout when they put his real baby-blanket in the fake childhood home. His face when he had to lie to the camera about how loving his mother was genuinely made you feel bad for him even after all the poo poo he'd done. Vought really hosed him up.

jabby fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 26, 2022

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

roomtone posted:

The best possible outcome for him is to realize that the same "personality" that allowed him to survive his childhood is now causing all of his adult problems... But of course, that's never going to happen until he's completely and utterly beaten—in some way that ensures he's never a threat again. Ideally, that'd be through the "super depowering ray", if they really felt like being merciful... But Butcher, Hughie, & Soldier Boy aren't exactly in a merciful mood at the moment.

So, Homelander's future isn't looking too bright at the moment.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm not sure whether we were seeing a different 'personality' or whether this was just the show's way of letting a character monologue without anyone else present (much like how Butcher had a conversation with 'tv homelander' earlier).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

jabby posted:

Eh, it's still a pretty major advantage. The only thing that can actually hurt him is the chest blast and it takes ages to charge.

except when he hears the russian music

they're definitely going to figure that out at some point and use it despite the incredible danger to themselves and everyone else in the general area

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno it was pretty clear to me it was just an externalisation of his inner monologue

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

You mean the guy who spent a good 5 minutes ranting about how men aren't men anymore?

Yeah, he's from a different timebefore unions were gutted by globalization. Dude was in Nicaragua and taking orders. I'm trying to imagine what else he could have done to piss off Vougt.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I don't really care what excuse they need to have a scene that's just two antony starrs chewing the scenery at each other

I'd watch an entire episode of homelander yelling at himself in a mirror

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Soldier Boy was sold out because his loyalty is to America and not to Vought.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
solider boy and homelander are like the two different phases of american empire.

look at how self-assured soldier boy is and how fractal homelander's psyche is.

one guy comes from an era where america thought it's whole imperialist project was the final step in society before peace, the other comes once that narrative has mostly collapsed.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

roomtone posted:

solider boy and homelander are like the two different phases of american empire.

look at how self-assured soldier boy is and how fractal homelander's psyche is.

one guy comes from an era where america thought it's whole imperialist project was the final step in society before peace, the other comes once that narrative has mostly collapsed.

Yah, neoliberalism is getting a whole lot of exactly what it wanted and it isn't pretty.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

lol

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

I can assure you that Soldier Boy is not a good guy. He's toxic masculinity Captain America and sometimes he blacks out and murders a dozen or so people

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think Homelander and Soldier boy are going to end up bonding over how ungrateful the American public is and how unappreciated the two feel.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
For how long, until one stabs the other in the back because they're worried about the other doing the same thing?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Wanna see soldier boys survival depend on using a smart phone

“Soldier boy it’s me butcha can you hear me on the intercom?! Look your ganna die unless you pick up that phone,yeah it’s the funny lookin plastic fing on the desk….what…no it’s a phone mate….yeah i know look phones are diff-…..just pick it up and press the butt-…no no the button…no not that one that’s the vol….no the big… gently caress it e’s dead”.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think Homelander and Soldier boy are going to end up bonding over how ungrateful the American public is and how unappreciated the two feel.

Brojobs while saying they can do whatever the gently caress they want?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The man who was genuinely eager to help the Contras?

Also the only way that line about "our brave brothers the Mujahedeen" would have been better is if they ended the fake tv show with him literally shaking hands with Osama Bin Laden

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Ahhh he was immune to the knockout gas because he spent time around Cosby,it all makes sense now…

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

He starts with a reasonable point, but is really ignoring how pathetic Homelander is in this show. And like, that's why it gets review bombed by trolls and stuff. They took a guy like Homelander who often would just be portrayed as Evil Powerful Killer Guy, and made him a pitiful broken sensitive snowflake pervert degenerate dude. I think the writers deserve credit for really making it basically impossible to completely unironically worship the character.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
and Hitler only had one ball, but

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I don't think a right-wing portrayal of Hitler would have him crying and talking to his imaginary missing ball tho

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm still holding out for Homelander's genetic parents to be Soldier Boy and Stormfront, just for that extra ick factor (probably ties into some of his hangups though)

Also, I just realized we still haven't seen the cow milking scene. I would have figured that would be something he'd be doing during herogasm as part of his own deal.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

The man who was genuinely eager to help the Contras?

So did Mallory

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
[

PostNouveau posted:

I still think there's a weapon out there we don't know about. MM tries to gas Soldier Boy and it doesn't do poo poo to him. How'd the Russians subdue him?

I kinda wonder if Soldier Boy's power set isn't just "strong and durable [and now blasts anti-Supe radiation]" but more of a physiological adaptability, like a low-level Doomsday "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" type dealio. Could explain why the gas doesn't work on him anymore, why he developed his radiation beam (his body adapting to survive / channel whatever Chernobyl poo poo got shoved up his rear end), why he's constantly trying to get hosed up with harder and harder substances to little apparent effect. Maybe his durability was his power responding to physical trauma. Even not aging.

As far as his beam goes, my pet theory is that it doesn't "depower" Supes, per se. Rather, the high dose of radiation deactivates / suppresses the V in their DNA, but maybe eventually the effects fade as their bodies naturally purge the radiation.

Shaking my head at all the people who didn't see Hughie's masculinity nosedive coming. The dude has always been a weasel who kept his resentment at injustices perpetrated against him bottled up purely out of feelings of inadequacy and powerlessness. And he's utterly hated that and how much it's made him like his dad (whose passivity he despises), and has generally wished to be able to wrong others in the way he has been wronged. No surprise whatsoever that when he gained that power, he was immediately corrupted.

Lastly, I know this is like a week late, but

Shima Honnou posted:

Homelander is neither made of land or a home, something if off here.

Post of the thread right here.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

NutritiousSnack posted:

So did Mallory

I don't think the CIA lady is a good person either though

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

pik_d posted:

I can assure you that Soldier Boy is not a good guy. He's toxic masculinity Captain America and sometimes he blacks out and murders a dozen or so people

Lol of course not. This isn't that kind of show. On rewatch I noticed that Hughie's Geiger counter spikes when Soldier Boy starts ranting about how he served so I wonder if the secret anti-supe sauce is a specific form of exotic radiation.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

NutritiousSnack posted:

So did Mallory

She's not the first to go under the kryptonite guillotine but that's only because Frederick is also in the showb

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They did mention he had some radiation going, 20 whatever it was. Chernobyl shoved up his rear end etc.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Habibi posted:

As far as his beam goes, my pet theory is that it doesn't "depower" Supes, per se. Rather, the high dose of radiation deactivates / suppresses the V in their DNA, but maybe eventually the effects fade as their bodies naturally purge the radiation.

This feels like practically the same thing. Although I'm pretty sure they tested radiation on Homelander and it didn't work.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They did mention he had some radiation going, 20 whatever it was. Chernobyl shoved up his rear end etc.

20 Sieverts. That's 400 times the annual dose allowed for radiation workers, and 10 times the dose absorbed by Chernobyl liquidators who got 90 seconds to shovel radioactive debris back into the reactor building.

Looking it up, people have occasionally survived the acute radiation syndrome from 10 Sieverts. You'd think the Russians would have tried more overkill than that.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 27, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They might have. He's currently kicking off that radiation at rest, they may have hit him with way more to get him to be at that level normally, cause when he does his blast, the radiation count is way higher. That energy has to come from somewhere, so maybe internally he's rocking way more than 20 and being as tough as he is, his skin is blocking the radiation from leaking worse. He's supposed to be the toughest supe ever before Homelander.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Chamale posted:

This feels like practically the same thing. Although I'm pretty sure they tested radiation on Homelander and it didn't work.

The end result may be practically similar, but the mechanics can make a big difference. If it's a type of radiation, rather than some version of magic powers, perhaps its original source could be found, reproduced, weaponized - or even defenses against it developed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This kind of owns even for a typical PR thing. I wonder if the main cast feel any sort of way about Ackles being pushed so front and center in all the marketing for this season. Dude has been good, and obviously they want to trade on whatever following there is from Supernatural, but still feels like a very abrupt shift.

Edit: Watched that clip again and it occurs to me that if they ever wanted to do a live action Castlevania thing Ackles would probably make a drat good Trevor Belmont.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 27, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I hope in the season finale they finally kill Homelander but in the very next scene they introduce his secret twin brother Freelander who is literally identical in every way except his suit is red. Also played by Anthony Starr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

GreatGreen posted:

I hope in the season finale they finally kill Homelander but in the very next scene they introduce his secret twin brother Freelander who is literally identical in every way except his suit is red. Also played by Anthony Starr.

And he wears a cowboy hat.