Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Heath posted:

If you don't call kan you're a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Hey, I have one more replay to share with you guys if that’s OK. I’ve made it up to Adept 3 900 points and I feel like I’m getting a lot better (esp in terms of defense) but sometimes I still have games where I just get trashed.

https://mahjongsoul.game.yo-star.com/?paipu=220624-157f4454-3a9e-4424-bdd4-35bcb9ad400f_a829737340

This game is one where I had one big obvious mistake (dealt into a mangan hand because I expected a tile discarded one turn before the riichi to be safe), and one smaller 2000-point deal in, but mostly I just got totally bled dry from tsumos and noten penalties until I ended the game at -400 points. I think there’s probably some mistakes I was making in terms of discards/hand construction that meant that I wasn’t building a hand as fast as I could have. Or maybe my draws just sucked that game, idk.

e: just reached expert! 96 South matches, 18 East matches :c00l:

wocobob fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 24, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'd be happy making adept 2 honestly

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Are there any good digital environments that just give you tiles and let you handle rules and playing? TTS is bugged with mahjong tiles in my experience. Reason I ask it, I was talking with someone the other day about the difficulty of getting chanta, and I was curious if there was a digital way to just try out house rules for different yaku values. It started with me wishing chanta was a 3 han closed hand, given how hard it is. We ended up deciding on Honroutou and Chanta each 3 han closed, Junchan being either 6han or a closed-only yakuman, and chinroutou being a double yakuman.

I'm sure there's probably good historical precedent for why the han values are where they are but it REALLY doesn't make sense to me that chanta's only 2 han.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Autotable is probably what you're looking for

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
I just yesterday got utterly demolished by 13 Orphans.

It is real. Never stop believing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've gotten it twice ever and I almost had it again the other day

Always shoot for the moon

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Heath posted:

I've gotten it twice ever and I almost had it again the other day

Always shoot for the moon

HODL

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Hraathgar posted:

I just yesterday got utterly demolished by 13 Orphans.

It is real. Never stop believing.

I dealt into a kokushi while explaining to my wife how to play and my thought processes. "Okay, so I don't need this tile, so I'll discard it. <ron call> Clearly somebody else needed it though, so... and we're dead!"

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I was two off orphans yesterday and got one of them... The discard round immediately AFTER the fourth of the other dropped, ruining my dreams.

At least it was trivially easy to fold from there since everyone else was going for open tanyao.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was way in 4th going into all last in a match yesterday, saw the nine terminal draw button pop up, and just clicked it without thinking. Later looked back and realized I was starting with 10 of them, one paired, and having only a small chance at even improving to third that was the perfect scenario to chase it. gently caress!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

dragon enthusiast posted:

Autotable is probably what you're looking for

oh this is exactly what i was looking for, hell yeah. Thanks!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

sooo close to Adept 2 feels like its taken forever to get my game good enough to compete in silver

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

sooo close to Adept 2 feels like its taken forever to get my game good enough to compete in silver

got it! :toot:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Congrats! Keep pushing onward towards Expert, you got this.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks! How much different is gold from silver? I know I should switch to South games at that point, but is it otherwise different?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Seems like people mostly know when and how to fold at Gold.

I've been hovering right at the middle of Expert 1 ever since getting back into playing regularly a few weeks ago, always staying between 600-800 points, only playing Gold hanchans, so I guess that is like my exact skill level relative to the field. Even hanchans can drag out so long, I always feel like I don't wanna commit the time to a South round.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hanchan = East round?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks! How much different is gold from silver? I know I should switch to South games at that point, but is it otherwise different?

South rounds are much more populated than East starting in gold. I've not set foot in it yet but I hear jade is even moreso, to the point it starts getting difficult to find East games. South rounds will make you more consistent anyway, as you can recover from bad luck and the rounds are no longer won off the back of cheap fast hands quite as much. In my experience you'll start seeing a lot more dama hands (closed but not riichi) when you get to gold, which can make things a bit trickier.

Bilirubin posted:

Hanchan = East round?

Hanchan = South game, Tonpuu = East game.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Hanchan = South game, Tonpuu = East game.
Oh did I get that backwards? I meant to say that I've been playing East-only games.

Relyssa posted:

In my experience you'll start seeing a lot more dama hands (closed but not riichi) when you get to gold, which can make things a bit trickier.
True, but I will say like half the time I see someone win dama I don't see any good reason why they didn't riichi. I've been using them myself more when the situation calls for it, especially since I realized pinfu works dama, but it does seem like sometimes people overthink it.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 5, 2022

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I will often dama if someone else has richii'd first just to leave the option of folding open, unless I have reason to believe my waits are better, which is pretty rare since I don't much know how to read discards beyond the superficial level. Most of the time if I'm in that position though my hand is far enough off I'm better off folding.

Anecdotally I find that silver players tend to play a lot faster and looser, you get more people who play into things (the gap between Adept 1 and Expert 1 is huge) and hands are often (but not always) smaller. A lot more yakuhai and tanyao attempts, more people trying open triplets and never finishing because it's obvious, that kind of thing. Gold rooms are more like rocket tag: a lot more folding, a lot more games going to exhaustive draw, and when a hand hits, it's usually huge. Gold games are also slower just because people think more about what they're doing.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Bilirubin posted:

in addition to what everyone else said, don't feel bad if you fall on your face and derank back to adept. it's not unusual at all. pay attention to your own play and your own mistakes and what's different about how you played vs others, and when you get back up to gold room you'll be in fine shape to stay there

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
imo the differentiators between the rooms are

Bronze - "do you understand the rules of the game"
Silver - "do you understand how to build value"
Gold - "do you understand tile efficiency and safety"
Jade - "do you understand push-fold"

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
It didn't really take me that long to feel comfortable in Gold Room when I ranked up, but I think that it was because of my play style not matching up particularly well against Silver Room-style play. The biggest difference I can pin down between Silver and Gold is that players in Gold are more likely to pay attention to and respect opponent pushes (e.g. riichi, honitsu) and deploy more reasonable defensive play. There are still players in Gold room who employ a zentsu play style, or all-out attack (e.g. think about 25% win rate but also 18% deal-in rate), but it's quite a bit less common than in Silver. Since I generally play very closed and am prone to folding quite easily, I missed out on (and honestly still miss out on) a lot of reasonable pushing opportunities. The more measured pace in Gold Room is giving my hands more time to develop, helping me feel like I'm doing better there than I was doing in Silver.

I feel like it's worth mentioning again that it took me about seven months to advance from Adept I to Expert I. Although pretty much everyone else posting their advancements did so at a faster pace (and often much faster), steady progress will still see you through with time. Though for my own case, I probably could have done more serious tooling of my efficiency and aggressiveness to have advanced more quickly.

Even now, I'm at around five months in Expert ranks, though I did get to Expert III relatively smoothly. If it wasn't for that 11 4ths in 12 games loss streak in May, I'd probably be in Master / Jade by now. But that's how the game goes sometimes. However, I recently discovered that my call rate was much lower than I thought, around 20%. So I have been trying to call more over the past couple weeks, and it feels kinda good? I'm still missing out on plenty of good call opportunities that really speed up my hands, but at least I'm making progress to try to increase my win rate (which is also a very low 20%). Also, reminder to self, work on efficiency. I keep noticing micro inefficiencies during my actual games that I need to tamp down on, and I could probably use some time practicing in a trainer. If I'm going to stay in Master after advancing, I still have plenty of places to solidify in my foundations.

MrBlarney fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 6, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, really helpful.

Getting better at folding rather than pushing at all costs is I think a large part of the progress. And getting more efficient and playing closed much more (what do you mean no yaku?!?). Game has certainly been consistent recently (although I have also had similar long streaks in 4th)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

and yet another second place, quite a run of those

Oh and I am two away from the 10 friends cheevo, if anyone hasn't added me its 91323877 please and thank you

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

SixteenShells posted:

in addition to what everyone else said, don't feel bad if you fall on your face and derank back to adept. it's not unusual at all. pay attention to your own play and your own mistakes and what's different about how you played vs others, and when you get back up to gold room you'll be in fine shape to stay there

yeah for reference this has already happened to me...gold room kicked my rear end when I got there a couple weeks ago and I dropped back to adept 3, but I've noticed that it's forced me to actually figure out some basics of push/fold strategy, and now my deal-in rate is way better and I'm already almost back. don't give up!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Basically same. I played for a few months and rocketed from beginner to expert 1, had a couple of bad games, got distracted by Elden Ring and other stuff and didn't play for a few months, then came back and jumped into gold rooms. Got killed immediately and scrubbed out into adept, then pushed back in.

Now I keep going on win and loss streaks, but since losses are more punishing than wins are rewarding I'm hovering right in the middle of expert 1.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I flunked out of Gold room basically immediately and haven't quite managed to get back up there. It took me forever to get there the first time.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I think it makes me feel a little better about taking so long to rank up given the fact that I haven't ranked down between rooms. (I did rank down from Adept III to Adept II once during my climb through Silver.) Different styles for different folks. Enjoy the game at your own pace, y'know?

I just went through the past few pages and sent out MJS Friend Requests to a bunch of ID numbers I saw. 95332204 is my ID, if anyone wants to sent a request in my direction.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

MrBlarney posted:

I just went through the past few pages and sent out MJS Friend Requests to a bunch of ID numbers I saw. 95332204 is my ID, if anyone wants to sent a request in my direction.

Added you and Bili, but I'm too lazy to dig back through pages. My ID is 107660908 for anyone who wants to add me.

Had a couple of bad games yesterday so now I'm down to 322/1200 points in Expert 1. I keep ending up in a situation where I have a huge hand one-away and drop a tile into a dama or something, then just can't complete a hand fast enough to claw back points.

I did make two obscene misplays though. One I brain-farted and dropped a 1pin that made my waits worse and put me in furiten, and one where I richii'd into someone with two ponned dragons and the third dragon hadn't dropped (obviously I dropped it and got hit, thankfully only by little dragons, but still. I know better!)

Mostly I've just been losing a bunch of 50/50s, like I have 2345 and can drop either 2 or 5 to get into ten, and pick the wrong one and get hit. Ah well, such is life in the jong mines.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
I’ve had like 3-4 suu ankou tenpais that didn’t work out, but I think the saltiest I’ve ever been about not winning a hand was in my last game, where I had a perfect nagashi mangan for the first time ever, ended the round in a draw with nothing but terminals and honors in my discards….

Then just paid a noten payment like normal. Went into the replay afterwards to try to figure out what happened, and it turned out I’d actually discarded a single 6-man on turn 6 before committing to nagashi mangan, and my right hand player had called chii on it so I’d forgotten about it.

:negative:

The worst part is I actually had three extra terminals in my hand at the end (I had a hell of a draw lol). So if I’d discarded a terminal instead that turn, I would have gotten it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I got some bad beats and deranked again. Was starting to feel pretty tilted so I stopped playing for the day, but somehow I'm still not as mad about this game as I get in things like Eternal or CoD.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

RNG

Playing Mah Jong is helping me get over losing in chess too. And I really suck at chess and should lose a lot to get better but psychology is hard when you think you should be able to FIGURE IT ALL OUT

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

RNG

Playing Mah Jong is helping me get over losing in chess too. And I really suck at chess and should lose a lot to get better but psychology is hard when you think you should be able to FIGURE IT ALL OUT

Chess is entirely your own fault git gud game so i dont like playing it. Mahjong is nice because you can get double richii or 13 orphans and think for yourself that you are pretty pretty pretty good.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
100 points from a rank up. All I need to do is to not to gently caress up. This time, it will work.

My ID is 89470698, nick is HakumanMan.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
Sometimes it seems that people are very brave or they just are not playing attention. I have on bambu 111, 555, 777 on the table and on tenpai with a pair of bambu 3's and 8's. I'm thinking "man that was a bad move. My opponents are never going to discard bambu now to my obvious hand. I'll have to tsumo this poo poo and I have only 4 tile wait. Probably less since some of those bambu are going to nailed into my opponent hands."

I poo poo you not, the next 4 opponent discards are bambu tiles. The 4th one was my wait. Full color hand, all triplets, one dora. Baiman.

If only there was any way to prevent this. Some sign to avoid this tragedy.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
My experience is that your wait almost always feels obvious to you because you can actually see your hand. Without that information your pond has a lot less information than you'd think

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Three set calls on anything should be enough open information to check what the opponent might be aiming for, though. If it looks like just tanyao, an outside sanshoku doujun, or some other 1-han thing with no dora chances, then you probably have the expected value to keep building.

But three triplets in a single suit really should be warning bells to clam up to defend against honitsu, chinitsu, and toitoi. If those yaku are just bluffs, at least if you get trapped into a deal-in, the value of the hand should be much smaller than you were expecting. I could see pushing against that if you were already tenpai or in really good 1-away / iishanten on a mangan+ hand, but otherwise that might just be Silver Room zentsu push everything style play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you're in low level rooms people really don't check open hand waits or care about folding at all

three calls should usually be considered equivalent to tenpai and what you do against them depends on how valuable the hand is likely to be

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 12, 2022