Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Justin Godscock posted:

I think the biggest challenge of university and, really, the reason why it's "hard" is the total freedom you get when you are there (not so much the subject matter). So now instead of having a rigid routine and nets to catch you if you fall (which high school is full of) you have to structure your own routine yourself and catch yourself before you fall. This is something you are just not taught or told and no matter what your grades are it will be a massive shock and you have to adapt quick.

For some people the reason they got straight A's is they learned the high school structure and routine really well and it's a massive change to go to college which has no such thing. It'll humble you if you don't adapt.

One of biggest culture shocks for me was on the first day the professor told us to call her by her first name. Also we could eat in class provided that it wasn't disruptive. Also no one gave a poo poo if we wore hats unlike public school. (No the hat bullshit had nothing to do with gangs IIRC, it was just an oldass rule because Education.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Do lies from administrators count, or only teachers?

Because pound for pound, administrators' lies are worse.

True, but administrators mostly lie to teachers.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I had a substitute who told the class about the time she hooked up with “the fonz”

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Not from a teacher, but one day 6th grade we had a firefighter lady come in to tell us about the dangers of fire. She was being really heavy handed with the scare tactics, and at one point she made the statement that literally anything can catch on fire!! Knowing this was untrue, I raised my hand and told her as much. Instead of admitting that sure, technically there are materials that aren't flammable under normal conditions, she doubled down and angrily insisted that as a firefighter, she knows that everything burns because she has personally witnessed it. So I was like "What about water? :smuggo:" I swear she stared at me for a good 5 - 10 seconds before stammering out something like "That... doesn't make sense, water doesn't count."

Unfortunately my name wasn't Albert Einstein, so instead of everyone standing up and clapping for me, the other kids in the class sided with her and told me I asked a dumb question. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Devils Affricate posted:

Not from a teacher, but one day 6th grade we had a firefighter lady come in to tell us about the dangers of fire. She was being really heavy handed with the scare tactics, and at one point she made the statement that literally anything can catch on fire!! Knowing this was untrue, I raised my hand and told her as much. Instead of admitting that sure, technically there are materials that aren't flammable under normal conditions, she doubled down and angrily insisted that as a firefighter, she knows that everything burns because she has personally witnessed it. So I was like "What about water? :smuggo:" I swear she stared at me for a good 5 - 10 seconds before stammering out something like "That... doesn't make sense, water doesn't count."

Unfortunately my name wasn't Albert Einstein, so instead of everyone standing up and clapping for me, the other kids in the class sided with her and told me I asked a dumb question. :shrug:

I'm guessing you don't live in Flint Michigan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zagvo75RJo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Female firefighter destroyed by FACTS and LOGIC

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Devils Affricate posted:

:iceburn:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"You should read Catcher in the Rye"

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

“It’s against the law for you to have seen these reading books before you start school and if anyone finds out your dad got them for you he’ll go to prison”. I was four. Miss Drew was a weird loving teacher.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
My 1st grade teacher didn't like the sound of chairs scooting on the floor, so she told us we'd get cancer if we did it.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
She was right. My brother died from cancer of chair

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ograbme posted:

My 1st grade teacher didn't like the sound of chairs scooting on the floor, so she told us we'd get cancer if we did it.

lol this thread rules

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ograbme posted:

The gently caress? Who tells a kid that?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Buttchocks posted:

I forget the name/author of the poem, but it was about some kids who are forced to drink lemonade and then piss into cans of paint, then their parents stir up the piss-paint and paint their house with it. Totally normal school literature. You will be absolutely not shocked at all to learn that this teacher also turned out to have hosed some of his students.

Was expecting The Highwayman. Not this.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ograbme posted:

lmao this teacher is awful.

Light Gun Man posted:

all that poo poo about Columbus

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Also the loving Pilgrims.

Also, “the Trail of Tears created reservations where native peoples could live peacefully” It was a loving ethnic cleansing and genocide enforced by Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren. gently caress those presidents. Harriet Tubman :20bux: when?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The_Franz posted:

Oh, and loving long division. "This is very important and you will need it throughout your life"

I have quite literally never done long division since the fifth grade. In fact if you asked me to do it right now, I would have to google it.

See this was true for me all the way up til late in college calculus when it came back and owned me hard.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
This jogged a memory of a history teacher who seemed like a pretty prolific liar in so far as she had stories about being a CIA asset & such.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Violet_Sky posted:

One of biggest culture shocks for me was on the first day the professor told us to call her by her first name. Also we could eat in class provided that it wasn't disruptive. Also no one gave a poo poo if we wore hats unlike public school. (No the hat bullshit had nothing to do with gangs IIRC, it was just an oldass rule because Education.)

From 5th to 8th grade, I went to schools in which we referred to all teachers by their first name. I went to a different high school, and the Mr./Mrs./Ms. titles felt so awkward and weird.

That DICK! posted:

my freshman us history teacher told us with a totally straight face that time travel was possible and had actually already been achieved but they only were able to teleport atoms at the moment and nothing bigger than that. he fielded questions on it for like 35 minutes and everything he said, frankly, held up

I heard/read somewhere (possibly not reputable sources, or maybe I just imagined it, who knows) that scientists successfully teleported atoms but I never heard anything about time travel. How would anyone even be able to prove that the time travel occurred, if they couldn't time travel themselves? :psyduck:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The police are there to help you

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
These are the end times and we will soon be raptured up to heaven. Everyone left behind will experience some crazy revelations poo poo that sounded a lot more fun.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

My first grade teacher told me (a girl) that I had "boy handwriting" in an attempt to shame me into having better handwriting, which I am going to count as a lie because gendered handwriting doesn't exist.

I did feel bad about it though, but in an "I have failed and I wanted to be so good" way and not a way that in any way made me want to write more "girl like". Defo remember crying over it. loving bitch.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, wtf did they even want you to do, dot your i's with hearts?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

My first grade teacher told me (a girl) that I had "boy handwriting" in an attempt to shame me into having better handwriting, which I am going to count as a lie because gendered handwriting doesn't exist.

I did feel bad about it though, but in an "I have failed and I wanted to be so good" way and not a way that in any way made me want to write more "girl like". Defo remember crying over it. loving bitch.

Reminds me of the time my 5th grade teacher was so loving huge on making everybody in the class write left handed. When everybody was right handed. And was stunned that everybody's handwriting was a mess.

Oh and said teacher was huge on making everybody juggle. Everybody. And I couldn't because I just wanted to learn more about the periodic table of elements instead of humiliating myself in front of a bunch of 10 year olds and 80 year olds that came during an end of the year presentation where we had to juggle in front of a crowd and I was the only one still stuck on training plastic bags.

Not sure what the lie is but :v:

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
One time in my Integrationskurs in Germany, where immigrants are taught how Germany works and the entire class is conducted in German to enforce full-immersion learning, and once our language skills were at the point we could understand German fairly well, our teacher went on a very long rant about how immigrants to Germany are lazy, don't bother to learn the language, don't bother to try to integrate, and are destroying Germany from the inside.

We could understand her because we, as immigrants to Germany at the time, had learned the language and were trying to integrate.

I lacked the full vocabulary to explain the contradiction in this assertion to her at the time, so I guess she was right :shrug: I no longer live in Germany.

also the lie that all you had to do in college was etc. 3.9 gpa! Doesn't matter. I was dumb enough to go in wanting to be involved in academia too and bailed when I realized that no, we don't do scholarship anymore, we host book of the month clubs, form political teams, infight, and mostly masturbate to ourselves and how smart we are.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 27, 2022

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

a music teacher told everyone they can get infected with AIDS from spitting
another bright mind told us you can tell if someone is gay the way they hold their hands when using a nail file

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Every girls handwriting I’ve seen has been better than every guys. But the last time I checked on that it was 1998.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

YeahTubaMike posted:

From 5th to 8th grade, I went to schools in which we referred to all teachers by their first name. I went to a different high school, and the Mr./Mrs./Ms. titles felt so awkward and weird.

I heard/read somewhere (possibly not reputable sources, or maybe I just imagined it, who knows) that scientists successfully teleported atoms but I never heard anything about time travel. How would anyone even be able to prove that the time travel occurred, if they couldn't time travel themselves? :psyduck:

positrons are just electrons traveling backwards in time.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Here are some that I heard and that were said earlier:

Employers will look at your grades!
Computers are a total fad.
I can't accept this essay as it's not handwritten. The computer probably wrote it for you.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you get a failing conduct grade you won't be accepted into college!

Sorry, I must have missed the Conduct sections of the ACT and SAT

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

This jogged a memory of a history teacher who seemed like a pretty prolific liar in so far as she had stories about being a CIA asset & such.

That's just having fun with a boring job though.

Telling lies to children is hilarious.

The dumb little bastards will believe anything. It's the best kind of joke because it will take them like 20 years to repeat the lie as fact and everyone will be like "uh, no, idiot." Gotta play the long game.

My teacher partner says I am not allowed to be a teacher unless it's for PE. Joke is on them because I could still make up my own sports game rules there.

"No, we are playing Swedish dodge ball today".

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bonzo posted:

If you get a failing conduct grade you won't be accepted into college!

Sorry, I must have missed the Conduct sections of the ACT and SAT

I remember that one, used to get into trouble for talking and bothering other kids who were working (ADHD combined with finishing work earlier than other kids) and I remember crying when that was used on me because I thought that me getting sent to the principals would ruin my chances of going to college forever.

Turns out other things ruined that for me, but it wasn't my conduct record that's for sure. :v:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
"The only reason you get periods is that you are lazy! Girls who play team sports instead of dance class never start menstruating before they are 16 or 17."
Said to me by a really lovely PE teacher in primary school. I was 10 years old and danced 16 hours a week until a knee injury made me give it up.

Same teacher told me I was excused from sex ed because "You are too ugly. You do not need to learn this!"

"Africans are sorry there is no more British Empire to take care of them!"

One teacher managed to mix up the Welsh and Scottish flags. "The Welsh flag is part of the Union Flag to honor the Prince of Wales. While the rebellious Scots have put the Loch Ness monster on their flag."

"You don't need to wash your clothes. Just remove the spots and leave them blowing in the wind. Air baths clean clothes better than water. Also never shower more than once every three weeks. More than that is bad for your health!"

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

BattyKiara posted:

"The only reason you get periods is that you are lazy! Girls who play team sports instead of dance class never start menstruating before they are 16 or 17."
Said to me by a really lovely PE teacher in primary school. I was 10 years old and danced 16 hours a week until a knee injury made me give it up.

Same teacher told me I was excused from sex ed because "You are too ugly. You do not need to learn this!"

"Africans are sorry there is no more British Empire to take care of them!"

One teacher managed to mix up the Welsh and Scottish flags. "The Welsh flag is part of the Union Flag to honor the Prince of Wales. While the rebellious Scots have put the Loch Ness monster on their flag."

"You don't need to wash your clothes. Just remove the spots and leave them blowing in the wind. Air baths clean clothes better than water. Also never shower more than once every three weeks. More than that is bad for your health!"

I bet your teachers are Redditors now

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Otherwise great history teacher who said that no bombs ever fell on St Paul's Cathedral in London during the 2nd world war. Thought I had read something about it at home so spent time finding the book, bringing it into school, sharing it with the teacher after the lesson. The git still said no bombs fell on it a couple of weeks later in class. The book even had pictures of the damage to the high alter. :argh:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The Butcher posted:

The dumb little bastards will believe anything. It's the best kind of joke because it will take them like 20 years to repeat the lie as fact and everyone will be like "uh, no, idiot." Gotta play the long game.

My teacher partner says I am not allowed to be a teacher unless it's for PE. Joke is on them because I could still make up my own sports game rules there.

Fuckin' got em.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Butcher posted:

:chloe:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

BattyKiara posted:

never shower more than once every three weeks. More than that is bad for your health!"

teacher told me I was excused from sex ed because "You are too ugly. You do not need to learn this!"

You sure she didn’t say “stinky”?

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
I almost got in a screaming match with my 4th grade teacher because she insisted Texas is bigger than Alaska.

4th grade was not great for me

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Buttchocks posted:

I forget the name/author of the poem, but it was about some kids who are forced to drink lemonade and then piss into cans of paint, then their parents stir up the piss-paint and paint their house with it.

I wonder what that would smell like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
The middle of my senior year of HS, our AP chemistry teacher got moved to a different class to cover a different teacher's leaving. Her replacement was fresh out of college and was not qualified to teach chemistry AT ALL.

Among his numerous misunderstandings, he insisted that magnesium and manganese were two names for the same thing. When a student showed him proof to the contrary, he dismissed it and said, "Excuse me, I'm the one with a teaching degree! Go back to your seat and shut up!"

Dumber still, he said that milligrams and grams were exactly the same. As in 1 mg = 1g. Meters and liters worked the same as the rest of the world understands it; only mass followed his belief. If you used mg the correct way, it would be marked wrong. You had to use .1 centigram or .001 gram if you wanted it to count.

This man was a chemistry teacher! Because of him, literally nobody in his classes for those two semesters got above a D.