Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

crispix posted:

luv 2 break international law

steel, NI protocol, who gaf!!! :nyd:

The strong PM we need to handle what no one else will*

*Rampant crimes and sex scandals*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

What really gets me about this is that it’s just saying “a serious government doesn’t side with workers” and as much mockery as the Tories got for their brief “we’re the real party of the workers” they did t even let the mask slip off that much.

Saying nothing would be better, and yet the stance is… this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to understand that david lammy can just vote to pay himself more money and then it happens, he doesn't understand that people with real jobs can't do that, poor lad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The one that really gets me is tech bros whos reply to that is that people should get a better job where it is acceptable to negotiate your wage.

Even if you put aside for a second how broadly poo poo a thing that is to say, that job still exists. It still has to be done. Someone has to be getting hosed over by it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A serious party uses an aging populace to enslave workers.

Obviously its working for the Tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It continues to be very grating when people just espouse their personal preferences, and then say "yes but I just have to say this you see because it's what the public wants" even when it measurably is not what the public wants.

It must be very nice to go around externalizing all your bad takes onto the mysterious public like you're in a very weird dom/sub relationship with the made up median voter in your head.

Centrists invented plural systems change my mind.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

If only there’s been a way to guarantee we’d operate under the same rules as the countries in the EU.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It’s an extension of the same WTO-illegal tariffs the EU and US already apply. Brexit is dumb and all but that doesn’t mean you have to advocate for Britain bankrupting it’s strategic heavy industry out of psychotic purist commitment to free trade.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

peanut- posted:

It’s an extension of the same WTO-illegal tariffs the EU and US already apply. Brexit is dumb and all but that doesn’t mean you have to advocate for Britain bankrupting it’s strategic heavy industry out of psychotic purist commitment to free trade.

Yeah, it's just harder for small nations to get away with it, unlike the EU and US, which is lol brexit. But still, don't really disagree with Boris on this one, free trade is not an automatic good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the point is more that, my brother in christ, you put the UK under WTO rules.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So BJ has made his plan pretty clear at G7, which is to put absolutely everything he has on being an absolute pro Ukraine hawk.

It means he can pretend to be Churchill at international conferences, hoping it will distract the world and the British public from the fash and scandals at home, and then if Ukraine wins then he can bask in reflected glory, riding that wave to the next election, and if Russia wins then he can resign and call supporting Ukraine his great misjudgement, securing his status as a martyr to freedom and democracy.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SloaneFragment/status/1541180975299923968

I must admit, I joined in on the mass reporting of said profile image, resulting in:

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1541330262604259328

He's no doubt going to be attempting to push the boundaries, and no doubt will break them at some stage over this, so please keep your report fingers ready for when he does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's funny is I think that's probably just because he has a swastika in his avatar lol.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is real and in The Times.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I was pretty certain Fox will have said something along the lines of "the problem with the left is they call everyone fascists," but I could only read one and a half interviews with him before giving up. Even aside from his terrible, terrible opinions, the man is just so relentlessly, rabidly angry that it's utterly exhausting to read.

This was the closest I got

Laurence Fox posted:

It’s so easy to just throw your charge of racism at everybody and it’s starting to get boring now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah, it's just harder for small nations to get away with it, unlike the EU and US, which is lol brexit. But still, don't really disagree with Boris on this one, free trade is not an automatic good.
Surely that's more a sign that the WTO is just imperialism with extra steps than that banding together in big whites-only clubs to ignore selective parts of it that other people can't is a justified thing.

Maybe the best course of action for the world in general would be for Britain to go down swinging about what a clown car the whole thing is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Laurence Fox: it’s starting to get boring now

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lawrence Fox is what Dennis Reynolds would be if he was insufferably English and boring.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Niric posted:

I was pretty certain Fox will have said something along the lines of "the problem with the left is they call everyone fascists," but I could only read one and a half interviews with him before giving up. Even aside from his terrible, terrible opinions, the man is just so relentlessly, rabidly angry that it's utterly exhausting to read.

It would be funny if it wasn't so tiring that these weirdos imagine that everyone in the world is living in constant terror of being called racist when I in fact do not worry about that at all, because I don't think it has ever happened and I am sure I would survive if it did.

If everyone is calling you a twat maybe that's a you problem.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Just ~not failing country~ things

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

sinky posted:

Would that make her a scab

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Not sure that China or the US qualify as 'small nations' in that steel tariff spat. It remains the case since Doha that if you are principally worried about the global south, what the global south would most like is for Europe to lower its agricultural protections.

The real sticking point, I would say, is that the UK is not really a 'steel economy'; steel occupies a much smaller share of output and employment than other comparable European nations, and the postwar UK has a long and glorious history in promising to protect these industries at the negotiating table right up until the moment it prioritizes something else. And this administration's promises are hardly trustworthy, to say the least...

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1539486731510194178

One of the weirder gaps in UK collective self-narrative is how "bin-men" resonates but "sick man of Europe"/"If I were a younger man, I would emigrate" doesn't seem to (save as a subordinated confabulation with said bin-men, when arguably the former was a symptom of a wider industrial paralysis that the UK political class struggled to navigate no matter which party or party faction was in power). In fact the UK has never been very good at navigating its own domestic political paralyses; many Western democracies neoliberalized, but the UK's political experience of doing so was particularly confrontational and traumatic.

In the meanwhile, a take:

quote:

This can also be put in a different way. Brexit isn’t automatically good territory for the Tories. No doubt it’s true that Johnson believes it would help him to pull Labour on to it, hence they resist going there, but that doesn’t mean he is right. It is not 2016 or even 2019 anymore. Of course the hard core of Tory leave voters will be galvanized by Brexit coming up the agenda again, but opinion polls show a clear and consistent lead for the view that Brexit was a mistake over those thinking it was right, and that many voters, including at least some who voted leave in 2016 and/or Tory in 2019, are now disillusioned by the way it has been done by Johnson including, as the NIPB amply shows, the emptiness of his promise to ‘get Brexit done’. It’s notable that yesterday, the anniversary of the referendum, two leave-voting seats rejected the Tories in by-elections. That may be more about Johnson than Brexit, but either way it is very far from clear that Labour will be monstered if they hold his Brexit record up for scrutiny. But to do that they need to a have a good and suitably crafted answer to the inevitable question: what would you do differently?

The policy that Labour needs

That does not mean a ‘rejoin’ policy, which would effectively go back to the in-out question of 2016. I don’t think that’s in prospect for years, perhaps not ever. It need not even mean a single market policy, and although some, including recently Labour frontbencher Anna McMorrin have called for that, it’s clear from what Lammy said yesterday that Labour are not going to endorse that for now, and I suspect that will hold right through to the election. However, that doesn’t mean that a Labour-led coalition – perhaps the most likely outcome - would not adopt it.

But it could certainly include a commitment to extensive regulatory alignment – perhaps, as, again, David Miliband has recently suggested, for a specified period of five or ten years – to include Sanitary and Phyto-sanitary (SPS) alignment. In itself, that makes the Irish Sea border substantially thinner. Temporarily or permanently abandoning the UKCA mark, already postponed by the government, would barely be controversial but would make life a lot easier for UK businesses. Both of these things go substantially beyond the Lammy proposals, especially as it’s not clear whether the SPS deal he alluded to implies full dynamic alignment. Proposing to add a mobility chapter to the TCA so that musicians and other service providers could more easily travel within the EU would be an equally pragmatic position, and one which Lammy appears to have suggested Labour will endorse.

It's worth recalling that none of the things listed above was remotely controversial even amongst most committed Brexiters until very recently. It is only the rapid radicalization of their demands that has led to the scorched earth ‘sovereignty-first’ Brexit delivered by Johnson and Frost. Labour can, with absolute truth, say to leave voters that this was not the Brexit they were promised. Even leaving aside the whole soft versus hard Brexit issue, a core Brexiter claim was that sovereignty would mean the UK choosing for itself which rules it wanted to follow, according to its own best interests. It didn’t mean eschewing all regulations other than those unique to the UK. So it is perfectly reasonable for Labour to argue that alignment is currently in the UK’s best interest, and to commit to it.

In this way Labour could develop a position that allows them to criticise the damage Brexit is doing and provide a pragmatic alternative, and to do this not as ‘re-opening Brexit’ but as part and parcel of a wider policy offer on the economy, in particular. It won’t please everyone, but nothing will. Crucially this, or a more fully developed version of it, would be a policy rather than the present policy vacuum. That, just in itself, would change the terms of the debate. If Labour won the next election, it would also change the delivery of policy.

The whole blogpost is interesting (and is from where I found that O'Brien twitter thread). I don't know that I agree.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the only reliable prediction to date is that Johnson will behave like a feral polecat when cornered (also maybe when just drunk), and so turning the entire country into a Shinyo motorboat against the WTO is probably the funniest and most fitting possible outcome of that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Surely that's more a sign that the WTO is just imperialism with extra steps than that banding together in big whites-only clubs to ignore selective parts of it that other people can't is a justified thing.

Maybe the best course of action for the world in general would be for Britain to go down swinging about what a clown car the whole thing is.

I salute you who are about to die.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

sinky posted:

Surely, day one: Mlud, I've been denied proper representation, please throw out this trial? Mlud? Mlud!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Step 1: Bring a private prosecution against the judge for perverting the course of justice by allowing someone credibly charged with perverting the course of justice to act as a representative in their court.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Niric posted:

"It’s so easy to just throw your charge of racism at everybody and it’s starting to get boring now."
Whereas of course throwing the word woke at everything you don't like is brilliant and insightful.

What I hope for Fox is that he has a moment of clarity and that for even one second he realises that his career and marriage are over not because the woke left cancelled him, but because he was average at best in both arenas, and his time in the sun is rightly over.

Except he never will because he's a narcissist who's absolutely in love with huffing his own farts.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1541172738618019840

Break one international law, why not break them all I guess?....

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What I hope for Fox is that he has a

time in the sun

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1541172738618019840

Break one international law, why not break them all I guess?....
https://twitter.com/KRafteryauthor/status/1541310223331299329

I...

Yeah I guess a world with an independent Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England, none of whom were EU members, would be able to trade under whatever agreements they wanted. It's fun to play imagination.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Lib Dem resurgence continues, taking over the newspapers now. Winning Here!

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ronya posted:

One of the weirder gaps in UK collective self-narrative is how "bin-men" resonates but "sick man of Europe"/"If I were a younger man, I would emigrate" doesn't seem to (save as a subordinated confabulation with said bin-men

perhaps the younger men, who are now older men, did indeed emigrate?

hard to get excited about the international law stuff, it's being played up becasue it fits the 'johnson the criminal narrative' which is fine whatever i don't care.

trying to draw a comparison between countries and international law and individual citizens and criminal law is a duff move not dissimilar to national credit card type stuff; they're not the same and they never will be. if we don't like a particular 'international law' then we can, will and should negotiate a different one

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

fuctifino posted:

That seems weird, because that’s not what I see:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jeherrin posted:

Let's play British Media, where everything is made up and the numbers don't matter!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The fun game for grown-ups and children :pedo:

Rustybear posted:

trying to draw a comparison between countries and international law and individual citizens and criminal law is a duff move not dissimilar to national credit card type stuff; they're not the same and they never will be. if we don't like a particular 'international law' then we can, will and should negotiate a different one
Same is true for criminal law, if a law is counterproductive or discriminatory, then it's moral to group together to oppose it in ways that can include illegalism, but you have to accept that this risks you getting penalized by larger powers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/KRafteryauthor/status/1541310223331299329

I...

Yeah I guess a world with an independent Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England, none of whom were EU members, would be able to trade under whatever agreements they wanted. It's fun to play imagination.

Pssst. I heard a rumour that Ireland is already an independent nation. And that they are EU members.
And that they don't want to trade under non-EU Protocols.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes but they seem to want a 32 County non-EU Ireland and an independent Scotland and Wales that are also not in the EU and then they all make trade deals with one another to accommodate England.

I'm not sure that there's anyone else in the world that wants that particular series of events.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jeherrin posted:

The guy responsible for it was in the replies. Fsr one specific version of that article had the all-population numbers on that chart instead of the Tory voted numbers. The bar lengths are correct for Tories. It should be fixed now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yes but they seem to want a 32 County non-EU Ireland and an independent Scotland and Wales that are also not in the EU and then they all make trade deals with one another to accommodate England.

I'm not sure that there's anyone else in the world that wants that particular series of events.

Northern Ireland leaves the UK and the republic joins it and becomes Large Ulster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A large ulster sounds like something on a medieval peasants butt that needs to be lanced.