Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Neurolimal posted:

Its pretty funny that the west has had at least 24 or so years without a significant geopolitical adversary to endear themselves to South America/Africa/Asia/Middle East, and they did nothing but run victory laps & are only now thinking of maybe possibly creating a heavily privatized version with 1/7th the amount of money (raised)

just utterly myopic scumbags

West: we ran out of ammo in a war against an eternal enemy we didn't even fight but trust us bro we got the capacity to build your infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

FrancisFukyomama posted:

the China debt trap thing always seemed like projection since isn’t the IMF the king of predatory lending/strings attached loans?

lol yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fM_oVXJ-10&t=1102s

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1540673148307525632

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

FrancisFukyomama posted:

the China debt trap thing always seemed like projection since isn’t the IMF the king of predatory lending/strings attached loans?

Even if the debt trap thing were true, at least China isn't restructuring the host country's laws to allow a chinese economic takeover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Consensus

1. Fiscal policy discipline, with avoidance of large fiscal deficits relative to GDP;
2. Redirection of public spending from subsidies
3. Tax reform, broadening the tax base and adopting moderate marginal tax rates;
4. Interest rates that are market determined and positive (but moderate) in real terms;
5. Competitive exchange rates;
6. Trade liberalization: liberalization of imports, with particular emphasis on elimination of quantitative restrictions (licensing, etc.); any trade protection to be provided by low and relatively uniform tariffs;
7. Liberalization of inward foreign direct investment;
8. Privatization of state enterprises;
9. Deregulation: abolition of regulations that impede market entry or restrict competition, except for those justified on safety, environmental and consumer protection grounds, and prudential oversight of financial institutions;
10. Legal security for property rights.
(secret #11. - destroy labor unions)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neoliberals have grown up being educated to not understand the concept of material conditions at all, and only got away with it because they had no competition.

Actually building things appears to be complete nonsense to them, and the effects of such are incomprehensible, hence they're basically complaining that China's using cheat codes at the game they never actually learned how to play.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Neoliberals have grown up being educated to not understand the concept of material conditions at all, and only got away with it because they had no competition.

Actually building things appears to be complete nonsense to them, and the effects of such are incomprehensible, hence they're basically complaining that China's using cheat codes at the game they never actually learned how to play.

"Why do real things when we can pay and get paid billions for endless hot takes?"

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

fart simpson posted:

people just dont know that stuff. i had a chinese friend tell me i was lucky because in america university education is free, unlike china where her family had to pay to send her

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought most places in America had two years of free college?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Weka posted:

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought most places in America had two years of free college?

lol, no

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

your probably thinking about community college. a few states have basically tuition free community college and some more have loan or grant programs that partially cover community college tuition if you meet certain means testing. but it’s definitely not “most places”

some students do one of those for two years then transfer to an actual university for the final 2 years

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Weka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwSts2s4ba4

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Which bad Hollywood shows did you watch that gave you the idea American college is free?

Grandly 2-year community college is cheap, about a few thousand USD a semester, they always charge you really expensive books, even on math textbooks. When I was in college, I just grabbed an old edition and practice math exercise on that. When my wife was in 2-year college, I scanned a few books for her because I like to stick it to the man.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Hmm i wonder why the western MSMs never talk about the stories of the chinese immigrants who made it to america and found out the grass was brown

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

stephenthinkpad posted:

Which bad Hollywood shows did you watch that gave you the idea American college is free?

Grandly 2-year community college is cheap, about a few thousand USD a semester, they always charge you really expensive books, even on math textbooks. When I was in college, I just grabbed an old edition and practice math exercise on that. When my wife was in 2-year college, I scanned a few books for her because I like to stick it to the man.

i had a music history textbook that was $300. for the one book. that was 15 years ago so its probably $800 now. and i got a $500 scholarship from a local community organization so the university helpfully reduced my financial aid by $500 to make up for it

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 12:57 on Jun 27, 2022

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

stephenthinkpad posted:

Grandly 2-year community college is cheap, about a few thousand USD a semester,

lmaoing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

your probably thinking about community college. a few states have basically tuition free community college and some more have loan or grant programs that partially cover community college tuition if you meet certain means testing. but it’s definitely not “most places”

some students do one of those for two years then transfer to an actual university for the final 2 years

It's heavily means tested too. In VA it's up to 400% of the federal poverty level, my friends mom made $50 more than that and he had to pay for everything out of pocket. Lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/Homura_Alter/status/1541233264295297024

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1540153721833025536?cxt=HHwWgMDTlczp3N8qAAAA

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
democracy is when you get knifed on stage as a leftist

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

he has received 100 million dollars and a signed letter from president Biden offering condolences for his Havana syndrome

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

idgi

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

someone flew this at a pride parade https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Races_Under_One_Union

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

well thats pretty funny

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Can't wait for the Manchurian nationalists to pull out their version of the Five Races under One Union flag at a Pride

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I Love Annie May posted:

Can't wait for the Manchurian nationalists to pull out their version of the Five Races under One Union flag at a Pride

it owns when people use that flag in their meme maps about Balkanizing China. yes I’m sure Manchus want to be associated with the genocidal fascist puppet state whose name is pretty much a slur now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FrancisFukyomama posted:

it owns when people use that flag in their meme maps about Balkanizing China. yes I’m sure Manchus want to be associated with the genocidal fascist puppet state whose name is pretty much a slur now

i know someone who is descended from a noble manchurian bloodline

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
When Scotland exit GB and the union has England and Walsh left, somebody will bring the Qing Dynasty flag to the parade.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i mean the last Manchu emperor himself endorsed communism in the end so lol

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

fart simpson posted:

i know someone who is descended from a noble manchurian bloodline

i had a Manchu relative who lived under Japanese occupation tell me never to say Manchuria again bc she thought I meant Manchoukuo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FrancisFukyomama posted:

i had a Manchu relative who lived under Japanese occupation tell me never to say Manchuria again bc she thought I meant Manchoukuo

did you?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

nah, she just thought Manchuria was the direct translation in English of manchoukuo. she made the same mistake with Sino and thinking it was a direct translation of Zhina, the Japanese ww2 era slur

on an unrelated note, North Korea seems to have crushed the omicron outbreak, since this is the WSJ and you know they’d love to be gloating over it if they failed https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/north-koreas-first-covid-wave-has-passed-with-no-apparent-signs-of-catastrophe-11656335120

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Jun 27, 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

nah, she just thought Manchuria was the direct translation in English of manchoukuo. she made the same mistake with Sino and thinking it was a direct translation of Zhina, the Japanese ww2 era slur

You know that does make me wonder why Sino is the short hand for China

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

KomradeX posted:

You know that does make me wonder why Sino is the short hand for China

In Latin their word for China was sinae, which became sino and that stuck

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's better than seeing "the middle kingdom" in an article.

you know you're in for some insane poo poo when you see that

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

In Latin their word for China was sinae, which became sino and that stuck

Oh didn't know that

crepeface posted:

it's better than seeing "the middle kingdom" in an article.

you know you're in for some insane poo poo when you see that

Yeah, I feel like I want to call that a dog whistle, but it's more like a fog horn

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Harmony reigns in The Middle Kingdom. Death and disease rage elsewhere.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Middle Kingdom watchers say Xi's obsession with building HSR is due to the fact that trains are Yin aligned and the country has accumulated too much Yang energies. The next party plenum is expected to move the Celestial Compass in a South Eastern direction, to give a 10% reduction in building costs.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Mantis42 posted:

Middle Kingdom watchers say Xi's obsession with building HSR is due to the fact that trains are Yin aligned and the country has accumulated too much Yang energies. The next party plenum is expected to move the Celestial Compass in a South Eastern direction, to give a 10% reduction in building costs.

The 10 Turn Plan

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

The 10 Turn Plan

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I always thought "The Middle Kingdom" is not a good translation. I would have used "The Central Kingdom" which would trip off more nutcases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Charity Spring posted:

The 10 Turn Plan

the south-pointing chariot plan