Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
theyre also racist.

oh and their apparel is not conducive being on a boat club or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

fullroundaction posted:

In theory, how would copyright/IP/whatever law deal with stuff like murals or all of this BAYC-alike poo poo popping up everywhere since most of it isn’t a 1:1 pixel reproduction?

It’s not like Mario or Mickey Mouse where regardless of style the character is still distinct/recognizable. There are 11000+ procedurally generated BAYCs … so if someone were to just create their own in the style would they infringing anything?
Addressing this separately; BAYC itself would own the basic template. The NFT holder is granted a non-exclusive license to the specific variant by BAYC, but make no mistake, even under BAYC's terms of service you don't own poo poo. However, all those variants are BAYCs and since BAYC is clearly in the business of selling endless variants of the same dead eyed ape in a particular style, yes, those variants would be infringing even if an NFT wasn't specifically minted.

Toilet Terror posted:

There's a pretty decent possibility that procedurally-generated images aren't even copyright-able at all. Courts have generally found that only humans can create art, and I don't think an algorithmically generated bored ape would meet that threshold.
As long as a human pushed the button it's still copyrightable. The algorithm is created by someone, the underlying art was created by someone, shoving bits around is still a "creative" act. The interesting question is who owns the DALL-E art, which is almost entirely procedural.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Has the BAYC Nazi video been posted yet?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Toilet Terror posted:

There's a pretty decent possibility that procedurally-generated images aren't even copyright-able at all. Courts have generally found that only humans can create art, and I don't think an algorithmically generated bored ape would meet that threshold.

It's been brought up before, but it's likely that the individual components, as drawn by artists, are copywriteable, but the specific combinantion that makes, say, Bored Ape 420 isn't as a whole.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Booyah- posted:

Never seen this before

nexo issuing a cease and desist demand by... linking to a blog post with no specifics whatsoever

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1541220710152114176

this is even funnier than the one the cryptoland people sent to Molly White telling her to delete her lies

It's certainly the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen. They did post a reply to the recent "nexo is bad/unethical/lovely" twitter thing though.
https://nexo.io/blog/the-anatomy-of-fake-news-the-latest-attack-on-nexo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
trying to check up on the Crypto Island situation and this is all the info I could gather:

LOL, and their twitter went quiet months ago

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

trying to check up on the Crypto Island situation and this is all the info I could gather:

crypto island T-1000

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://sneakers-magazine.com/9-reasons-to-burn-your-sneaker-collection/

When “Sneakers Magazine” is telling you that collecting sneakers is dumb…

humans are bizarre

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

SaberToothedPie posted:

Has the BAYC Nazi video been posted yet?

Yeah, about a week or two ago IIRC.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
can you post it again

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

don't waste an hour and just read the original source
https://gordongoner.com/

bayc denies it
https://decrypt.co/103799/bored-ape-founders-nazi-disinformation-campaign-demented-troll

yuga labs is suing the ryder ripps guy
https://cryptoslate.com/yuga-labs-sues-bayc-critic-ryder-ripps-over-claims-of-nazi-origins-rr-responds/

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Please stop posting Josh Gondelman

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

jesus christ i hope everybody involved with this somehow loses this court case.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Because Philion turned out to be a shill for other NFTs in his video, I've noticed people, crypto bros and buttcoin shitposters alike, outright denying the Nazi/racist comparisons because they thought it was just a way to try to get the prices and attention to drop on BAYC so people would move to whatever Ryder Ripps marketplace and NFTs Philion was trying to sell. That advert near the end of the video was such a bad idea, imo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

quote:

Ripps has publicly admitted that the current state of BAYC appears at odds with its alleged “nazi origins.” In a previous Twitter Space with OKHotshot, Ripps said in a recent interview that BAYC’s attempt to walk back its Nazi origins is similar to “black people reclaiming the n-word” and its “loving genius.”
what does this even mean

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Is this the monkeypox I've been hearing about? It's certainly looks like a plague on society

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
None of the art is valid because it needs the background colour in order to be that specific ape instance

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Her art is a water jpg layered on an ape jpg and some swipes of color?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
hi. i'm the one person on planet earth that knows who Heidi Klum is, what an NFT is and how to buy and hold crypto and wow - talk about a twitter post made for me!!!

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm convinced all the top people in the fashion industry meet up every now and then, do a ton of drugs and just go "Right, what kind of absolutely ridiculous poo poo can we trick people into wearing this time?"

Like in some way I can respect that they in tyool 2022 have managed to troll people into wearing fanny packs again.

The lead designer of Balenciaga, Demna Gvasalia, is basically a fashion troll and specifically releases stuff like this to wind people up. He started it with Vetements and leaned hard into it when people would post "omg who would wear this poo poo" followed by Instagram influencers wearing it as a meme to get eyeballs on their posts. It's for people who want to be "in on the joke" where the punchline is $600 Crocs, it absolutely doesn't make sense but I don't think fashion ever has made sense.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
The heel crocs are amazing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PITY BONER posted:

Because Philion turned out to be a shill for other NFTs in his video, I've noticed people, crypto bros and buttcoin shitposters alike, outright denying the Nazi/racist comparisons because they thought it was just a way to try to get the prices and attention to drop on BAYC so people would move to whatever Ryder Ripps marketplace and NFTs Philion was trying to sell. That advert near the end of the video was such a bad idea, imo.

Ordinarily I'd consider the BAYC skull logo pretty damning evidence, but NFT people are so purestrain stupid it might genuinely be a coincidence.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

an iksar marauder posted:

The heel crocs are amazing

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ordinarily I'd consider the BAYC skull logo pretty damning evidence, but NFT people are so purestrain stupid it might genuinely be a coincidence.

It was "cool" when I was like hey that's 100% meant to evoke a totenkopf and other people were like NAHHH youre delusional, loving idiot

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Futanari Damacy posted:

It was "cool" when I was like hey that's 100% meant to evoke a totenkopf and other people were like NAHHH youre delusional, loving idiot

I deal with this a lot in other contexts that are full of people trying to play "i'm not touching you" with authoritarian/racist/fascist/etc dogwhistles.

The long and the short of it is that the real test is in how someone reacts to you pointing out that their sick skull with two awesome lightning bolts and a hindu good luck charm is kinda problematic.

If they go "oh poo poo, wow, ok, yeah I had no idea holy gently caress I'm going to change that right now" then they're probably OK. I mean, probably an idiot for not knowing that it's not just a generic sick nasty skull design but whatever. Worst case they knew what they were doing and backed down when you confronted them.

If they go "nuh uh, the cheekbones of MY skull are ever so slightly different and the lightning bolts are angled five degrees differently therefore. . . " they're a shithead trying to make excuses and throw up a smokescreen.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
A org called “Yuga Labs” claims they’re not nazis. “Yuga” is a term from Hindu cosmology that was picked up by modern neo-nazis via the nutty (even by nazi standards) fringe concept of “esoteric Hitlerism”. These ideas were created by a Franco-Grecian nazi who became convinced that Hitler had been an avatar of the god Vishnu and had ushered in the “Kali Yuga”, a phase of the never ending universal cycle of creation and destruction. The Kali Yuga is viewed as a sort of nazi equivalent of the Christian doctrine of tribulation. Once the current degenerate era (Yuga) ends the old world will be destroyed and the new, racially pure world be born from it’s ashes

But no they’re not nazis

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Would nazis invite Amy Schumer to perform at their big event?

Hm...

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Hey look, two US senators put up a Github repo with a proposed new Bitcoin bill. Problem here is that Github is open source, anyone can contribute.

There's a few legitimate contributions, but the vast majority is trolls. It's amazing, go check out the 'issues' and 'pull requests' pages:
Lummis-Gillibrand Responsible Financial Innovation Act (S. 4356)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Paladinus posted:

Would nazis invite Amy Schumer to perform at their big event?

Hm...

Her mother converted to judaism so technically she's not one of the chosen people.

Is probably what they tell themselves.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FANpeFnp6pg

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

yep, his videos still aren't worth watching. That said, Apefest is more like Cringefest.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A bit of a nose dive

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

A bit of a nose dive

Recently when my friend told me they were big into crypto/butts/non-fungs, I pointed out that crypto had been bouncing up and down like a particularly energetic kid in a bouncy castle, and I was assured this was just FUD planted by "the media" to "scare" people off of butts

My reply was "ah, the first true sign of a cult/conspiracy theory/scam: telling people that THEY don't want you to know about this"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's certainly the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen. They did post a reply to the recent "nexo is bad/unethical/lovely" twitter thing though.
https://nexo.io/blog/the-anatomy-of-fake-news-the-latest-attack-on-nexo.

lmao their reasoning is unbelievably stupid:

• The news is fake because the person who posted it gained over a thousand followers after posting it
  • The news is fake because we we used fake names to DM the person who posted it and ask if we could buy their twitter account for $10,000 USD, and they counter-offered with $50,000 USD! They're clearly only in it to sell their account!
  • It's fake news because here the account posted that they incredulously didn't understand why a company as big as us would do that!
  • It's fake news because it was funny and entertaining
  • It's fake news because this whistleblower report they cited did not come from the government
  • It's fake news because the SEO preview photo from this article they linked shows someone other than the person the article is about
  • It's fake news because they hid the dozens of astoturfing comments we made to their tweet
  • It's fake news because they posted about it more than once
  • It's fake news because in this tweet the person named "@otteroooo" claimed to be an otter that lives in the water so wtf do they know about Bulgaria??
  • It's fake news because we condemn prejudice!!
  • It's fake news because this has happened to us several other times in the past

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 27, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LifeSunDeath posted:

Get ready for Crypto Isthmus baby

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Looks like the drop-off in BTC price coincides with Goldman Sachs signaling it is time to sell Coinbase: https://www.coindesk.com/business/2022/06/27/goldman-cuts-coinbase-to-sell-due-to-fall-in-crypto-prices-and-industry-activity-shares-drop/

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Shifty Pony posted:

Nah it pretty much just looks like poo poo, I'd rather the entire wall be covered in tags.

Weren't Lazy Lions a pretty notorious rug pull?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tevery Best posted:

Weren't Lazy Lions a pretty notorious rug pull?

Well... the murals still there, couldn't have been that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
“Wasn’t (nft) a pretty notorious rug pull?” sounds like a loaded question.