Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I thought the last article said it still had years

man this exponential deterioration sure is a bummer

Well, months. Maybe a year. After that I wonder what will happen. I guess just even more skyhigh power costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

cum jabbar posted:

more like Lake Need (to get a grip)!!! its mild

Biosphere Collapse: lake need (to get a grip)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I thought the last article said it still had years

Lol, who wants food anyways

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

good thing i'm an rear end man :fap:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
deadpool? some reddit tier rear end lake

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ssthalar posted:

You thinking of all those trees that are currently on fire?

Think of all the great data we're acquiring. We can finally definitively answer the question of whether biochar is a useless additive in boreal soils.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Well, months. Maybe a year. After that I wonder what will happen. I guess just even more skyhigh power costs?

assuming the rate is constant, including the winter raise, like 2 years. Recent drops show 5-7 ft a month during warm weather.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

platzapS posted:

I was beaten bloody by the climate change thread. But I never hated them. I said "thank you for your data."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

237 pages behind. Is it that bad, yet?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

237 pages behind. Is it that bad, yet?

nah, just a little bit cringe

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
What's the best way to monetize the fear in this thread?
Writing and releasing a book takes too much effort.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Probably some sweet NFTs bro

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

What's the best way to monetize the excitement in this thread?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Rime is a flat circle

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Egg Moron posted:

Rime is a flat circle

thread title

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Imagine four posts on the edge of a ban.

Rime works the same way.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Confusedslight posted:

wait for the thread to organically conjure up a modern folk horror tulpa that personifies our collective unconscious fears and insecurities about climate change and then release a popular fictionalized youtube tiktok series about The Melty Man

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

Rime is a flat circle

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

at least rime is a circle unlike those squares in qcs

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

poo poo I thought it was hip to be a square

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Confusedslight posted:

podcast

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

and some NFTs

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

BrotherJayne posted:

and some NFTs

you want to cause me psychic pain? on a monday? shame on you

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Alot of these suggestions seem to require a a bit of effort. Except maybe nfts. Can I just screenshot posts from this thread and call them nfts? That's not a crime, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

5 Tips for Dealing with Climate Anxiety and Negative News

1. Find your balance.

Too little awareness might lead to anxiety and stress and too much can overwhelm you. Recognize that we’re all on different resilience levels and some people can consume more negative news than others. By knowing yourself and your limits, you can begin to recognize when you feel overwhelmed and take a break. Take it bitesize and grow your emotional resilience over time.

2. Practice healthy denial.

All of us are denying climate news to one degree or another. It simply would be impossible to live and function if we were to think about it all the time. Denial isn’t always bad and tuning out from time to time is essential for our well-being.

3. Mix in optimism.

A good way to consume negative news is to follow up with something positive. That way you can stay aware without feeling like you lose yourself to anxiety and stress. It’s OK to find reasons to smile amongst all the bad and YOU -- the climate hero choosing to work on your emotional resilience -- deserve it more than anybody! So seek out the good news too. Listen to music that uplifts you. Sing, dance, and enjoy life. Do that and you’ll be much better equipped to do something about the things you’re learning.

4. Talk about it.

By sharing what you’re learning with others you might find that you’re not alone in your worries, which will help ease anxiety. Also, normalizing climate conversations is one of the most important ways to fuel climate action. Just keep in mind that their emotional resilience might be very different from yours -- tread lightly and with kindness.

5. Fear + Grief = Empowered Action.

Grief alone can consume you. Fear alone can push you into a paralyzed state. But when combined in healthy doses, and applied to an attitude of wanting to make change, you can fuel it into empowered action. So don’t just learn and let go -- empower yourself and do something about it! Knowing what you know now, what can you do today to make it better? Choose to act and be the change, and be assured the world will follow.

How will you go about this today? Can you practice learning something difficult without diving into either denial or despair? Practice growing your emotional resilience by consuming a piece of news that might upset you, and choose one or many tips to let what you learned empower you.

You’ve got this!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Not responsibilities, opportunities!
Forget about doom & gloom, guilt, and despair. Fear and shame have never sparked change.
For that, you need creativity, optimism, and hope!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Did QCS get together and write an article

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
1) be white
2) be wealthy
3) live in privileged country
4) ignore all climate scientists

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Trabisnikof posted:

creativity, optimism, and hope!

or climate, COVID, and conflict

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

5 Tips for Dealing with Climate Anxiety and Negative News

5. Fear + Grief = Empowered Action.

Grief alone can consume you. Fear alone can push you into a paralyzed state. But when combined in healthy doses, and applied to an attitude of wanting to make change, you can fuel it into empowered action. So don’t just learn and let go -- empower yourself and do something about it! Knowing what you know now, what can you do today to make it better? Choose to act and be the change, and be assured the world will follow.

that’s a bad combo… you need SEEKING to identify solutions, CARE to give a gently caress about others (makes you feel good), and PLAY to manifest social joy. you can find many ways to modulate these systems, I’m sure this will give an idea:

(PANIC and grief are very intertwined deep down and is sometimes listed as PANIC/grief. all caps to distinguish these specific hypothesized constructs from the typical colloquial use in everyday language.)

illustration of how some of these interact based on an earlier affective science rulebook:

it’s all ultimately kinda fake but fun to consider.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Jun 27, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My RL friends are now sending me poo poo like this.

quote:

Re: climate apocalypse. Anyone ever feel like Sarah Connor at the beginning of T2 when she’s banging on the fence of the playground trying to warn folks and they’re oblivious and then the bomb goes off except that it’s not going to be over in an instant?

lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

lmao

let me guess, it’s because of this?

quote:

Heat Advisory
Until Mon 11 pm PDT

Action Recommended
Execute a pre-planned activity identified in the instructions
Issued By
Seattle/Tacoma - WA, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Portions of northwest and west central Washington
Description
...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM PDT THIS EVENING...

WHAT...Hot conditions with high temperatures in the upper 80s to low to mid 90s today. Overnight low temperatures this morning will likely only cool into the 60s for many locations. This will pose a moderate risk of heat-related illness.

WHERE...Portions of northwest and west central Washington.

WHEN...Until 11 PM PDT this evening.

IMPACTS...Hot conditions will increase the risk of heat-related illnesses for those who are sensitive to heat, especially those without effective cooling or adequate hydration.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS...A significant increase in cold- and high- water related incidents is possible. Recent rains and late snowmelt has lead to high, fast and cold flows on area waterways. Cold water shock can lead to life-threatening hypothermia within minutes. Use extreme caution if recreating near water, wear a life jacket, and supervise children closely.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances.

Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing when possible. To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency! Call 9 1 1.

For sheltering information and other human services in your area, dial 2 1 1 during business hours or visit wa211.org anytime.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

silicone thrills posted:

lmao

don't worry

market-based solutions will save us

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Homocow posted:

1) be white
2) be wealthy
3) live in privileged country
4) ignore all climate scientists

check, sorta-check (wage slave but digging my way out of it, maybe?), check if you count america, uh --- no, gently caress that, I like paying attention to what's going on.

that's a problem, huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieEMEXEuk9w

And now the mercury keeps rising, like the sap and the blood and the oceans
And the asphalt acres melting, in the fetid air of poison
And I fear the age of consequence and I wish that it was over
Give me the cold winds
Bring me the deep snow
Bring me the winter

"age of consequence" burned itself into my brain the first time I processed the lyrics to this song, and it's hosed with me ever since.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

it just owns that the majority of carbon emitted by human activity has been emitted in my lifetime. At any point there could have been an effort to change away from manufacturing disposable goods on the other side of the world and the oil based economy, but now I will have to see the biosphere collapse around me with all of the human misery that that entails. lol, lmao.

gently caress, I just can't believe poo poo sometimes

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2021/06/how-the-fossil-fuel-industry-convinced-americans-to-love-gas-stoves/

just in the past few years the Gas industry convinced everyone that gas stoves actually own and banning new gas lines means that you can't use your favorite cooking element. The reason they did this is because it means that people with gas lines can also use gas heating, gas water heaters, all that kind of in-home gas use.

and don't get me wrong, I've used the lovely old electric coil stoves, and they suck, but apparently induction stoves are supposed to own now? and no stove sucks worse than climate change

It's maddening

I just, gently caress, idk

e:

This was a good video that goes over the gas stove poo poo. Also he duct taped the mic to his chest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2aZUav-54

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Jun 27, 2022

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

TeenageArchipelago posted:

and don't get me wrong, I've used the lovely old electric coil stoves, and they suck, but apparently induction stoves are supposed to own now? and no stove sucks worse than climate change

It's maddening

I just, gently caress, idk

e:

This was a good video that goes over the gas stove poo poo. Also he duct taped the mic to his chest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2aZUav-54

Induction owns so much that as a prole goon stuck with hotplates, my induction hotplates are good enough to make friends with proper cooktops jealous or even buy one to supplement them. They own own own. Boils water in a snap, instant heat, just wipe it down to clean etc.

I mean gently caress that was always my chief complaint with the coil based stoves. Never cared about how slow they were, it was taking them apart to clean or using those element covers that you still have to clean - just a pain.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Samuel Glompers posted:

Induction owns so much that as a prole goon stuck with hotplates, my induction hotplates are good enough to make friends with proper cooktops jealous or even buy one to supplement them. They own own own. Boils water in a snap, instant heat, just wipe it down to clean etc.

I mean gently caress that was always my chief complaint with the coil based stoves. Never cared about how slow they were, it was taking them apart to clean or using those element covers that you still have to clean - just a pain.

poo poo I didn't even think about induction hotplates existing. And you can even set the temp on them? That owns, I will probably try one out at some point

I wonder if induction has anything limiting the heat on the upper end. An induction wok to get those high temps would own

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

poo poo I didn't even think about induction hotplates existing. And you can even set the temp on them? That owns, I will probably try one out at some point

I wonder if induction has anything limiting the heat on the upper end. An induction wok to get those high temps would own

I bought an induction plate when my stove broke and I was saving/researching a new one. It ruled so much that I ended up with a full on induction stove. Highly recommend. a++ the duxtops are all great. I make stir fry on my induction with a wok a lot and it gets smoking hot in just a minute or so on high. I have to be very aggressive about movement and dropping the temp when im stepping away for ingredients lol

my wok has kind of a flatter bottom so it can make a good connection the stove but otherwise the inner curve is all good and I can shake and toss the food pretty well.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Jun 27, 2022

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Induction, in principle, can heat things to far greater temperatures than gas. But I think the issue with an induction wok is unless you have a special curved induction hob, it won't be able to deliver heat to the wok appropriately (because parts of the wok will be too far away for efficient inductive coupling). You can probably get good enough results, especially if you have a wok with good thermal conductivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I'm optimistic that there will be incredible content