Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My overall take is that Dermott is a really unremarkable player bordering on not worth it. The Leafs seem adept at developing tweeners that put up good possession stats in limited roles but never take the step to being consistent NHL regulars. Teams get a bit blinded by them and, while they're usually fine as fill ins, they aren't ever quality players buried on a good roster.

Somehow the Leafs have never figured out how to profit off this pipeline of milquetoast players and just end up losing them all on waivers instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ovie and Malkin are both Putin Team ambassadors so they have some common ground at least.

xzzy posted:

Sports fans are fickle beasts. As soon as a legend's production tapers, it's time to toss 'em in the garbage and find the next young stud.

Maybe a tribute night or occasional camera on them from the team's box to relive the good old days. But get 'em out of the game.

Perhaps some teams’ legends should try not tapering off imo

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

pseudodragon posted:

Can't really complain. There's a chance he's Dermott-esque and can put up results against lower levels of comp but gets eaten alive as he moves up, but whatever. Floor is a good 3rd pairing D at market value and the upside is if he can move up, it's a great deal for 2 years and then the deal lines up with Brodie/Muzzin's and he gets that money.

Well he's surpassed what Travis did in all facets, and has done extremely well no matter his partner. The best is his pairing numbers with Giordano were a top 15 goal producing unit. He's quietly been a talented offensive dman with really solid defensive numbers.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are the Penguins allowed to sign JMFJ while they're still carrying the buyout hit for him? Asking for a friend.

I do not believe so. Also GM JR going to go all in on him and taking him to Vancouver

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I do not believe so. Also GM JR going to go all in on him and taking him to Vancouver

I'm pretty sure they can't. I seem to recall that when Orpik got bought out the Caps would have liked to re-sign him immediately for cheaper but couldn't

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mercifully the Canucks don't actually have space for another left handed defenceman.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Still laughing at Claude "Florida Man" Giroux

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

My overall take is that Dermott is a really unremarkable player bordering on not worth it. The Leafs seem adept at developing tweeners that put up good possession stats in limited roles but never take the step to being consistent NHL regulars. Teams get a bit blinded by them and, while they're usually fine as fill ins, they aren't ever quality players buried on a good roster.

Somehow the Leafs have never figured out how to profit off this pipeline of milquetoast players and just end up losing them all on waivers instead.

The Leafs draft philosophy under Dubas has largely been to find “intelligent” dmen that are otherwise undervalued because of physical attributes. Theoretically it’s because the style of game he and Keefe want to run requires a lot of situational awareness, switching and improvisation. Functionally it means they end up with a bunch of guys who can feast on other low-level guys but fold once you get to the level of competition where players are some combination of fast, big and smart.

Watching their prospects come up and struggle has really emphasized for me the need for a draftee to have some sort of attribute that projects to NHL-level. Small guys that have decent scoring numbers but don’t have NHL shots, skating, size, or vision get you the Adam Brookses and Travis Dermotts of the world.

Dubas has canned all the Leafs directors of player development and scouting over the last two seasons, but I kinda doubt that Wickenheiser and Goyette can do much with their current crop of guys, much like the Leafs style of play I think the flaw is in the overall approach not the individual players.

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 27, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm pretty sure they can't. I seem to recall that when Orpik got bought out the Caps would have liked to re-sign him immediately for cheaper but couldn't

Yeah they traded him to Colorado, who bought him out, and then re-signed him and apparently that was kosher.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Still laughing at Claude "Florida Man" Giroux

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Signing your own bought out player could be a trick to pay them more for a lower cap hit, so it’s not allowed.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1541489043967442948

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

Still think KHL is likeliest for him though. He has nothing to prove here and might as well go get paid.

Russia just defaulted on their foreign debt for the first time in more than a century today, the ruble might not be a wise investment atm.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. :shrug:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I want Minnesota once they clear cap hell to start signing more Russians. I want a bunch of crazy Russians on the team.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sedins, Luongo, Alfie all inducted into the HHOF. Lou and the Twins were first ballot.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

The Leafs draft philosophy under Dubas has largely been to find “intelligent” dmen that are otherwise undervalued because of physical attributes. Theoretically it’s because the style of game he and Keefe want to run requires a lot of situational awareness, switching and improvisation. Functionally it means they end up with a bunch of guys who can feast on other low-level guys but fold once you get to the level of competition where players are some combination of fast, big and smart.

Watching their prospects come up and struggle has really emphasized for me the need for a draftee to have some sort of attribute that projects to NHL-level. Small guys that have decent scoring numbers but don’t have NHL shots, skating, size, or vision get you the Adam Brookses and Travis Dermotts of the world.

Dubas has canned all the Leafs directors of player development and scouting over the last two seasons, but I kinda doubt that Wickenheiser and Goyette can do much with their current crop of guys, much like the Leafs style of play I think the flaw is in the overall approach not the individual players.

I don't know what you're banging on about here because most of these picks have actually turned out reasonably well. Liljegren was before Dubas was GM anyway, and I'm willing to bet that he's going to have a decent NHL career. The 6'6 monster they drafted 59th (Eemeli Rasanen) is a complete bust.

2018 - Sandin (#29) and Durzi (#52) are NHLers. Mac Hollowell (118) and Filip Kral (149) are pretty good AHLers, though I doubt they have much of an NHL future. Still, that's a reasonable haul for where those guys were picked, no matter how hilarious it was that Dubas picked two guys out of the Soo.

2019 - Kokkonen (#84) was decent in a brief Marlies stint. His year back in Liiga wasn't particularly impressive, but he'll be an AHL regular again. Koster (146) and Loponen (204) were no more or less busty than any other 5th+ round pick.

2020 - Niemela (#64) torched Liiga and was a great value pick. Villeneuve (122) doesn't fit the mold; he's 6'2 and defensively responsible (for his age) with skating as his main flaw, and also had a decent junior career. Axel Rindell (177) got an ELC for some reason, so I guess we'll see with him too.

Nitpicking a bunch of 4th+ round picks is inane. If you're going to say they should be picking bigger dudes in the hopes of hitting a home run on a top pairing defenseman that's hard to come by otherwise, well... Durzi was part of the Muzzin trade, so what else do you want?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The 2007-2013 Canucks had three first ballot hall of famers and couldn't win a cup.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Sedins, Luongo, Alfie all inducted into the HHOF. Lou and the Twins were first ballot.

full list:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1541498631760527366

seems like a good group but i still loving hate alfredsson. i don't know that i'll ever hate a team as much as i hated those mid-to-late 2000s senators teams

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

whatis posted:

seems like a good group but i still loving hate alfredsson. i don't know that i'll ever hate a team as much as i hated those mid-to-late 2000s senators teams

Did you feel sorry for the early 2000s Senators?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it would own if only one of the sedins made it in

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

soggybagel posted:

I want Minnesota once they clear cap hell to start signing more Russians. I want a bunch of crazy Russians on the team.

I suppose the roster isn't full of Finns anymore, so this is possible.

Can they play for league minimum for the next three years?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

eXXon posted:

Did you feel sorry for the early 2000s Senators?

i didn't pay much attention to hockey from the 2001-2002 season to the end of the lockout. i was a huge hasek fan and him getting traded gutted me. i don't really have any frame of reference for the senators prior to 05/06, but i'm sure i would have hated them too

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Alex Mogilny deserves respect

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
which twin got the higher vote percentage?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Good choices.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

And who got traded to get the twins on the same ballot?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

They don't release that info, and the way HHOF voting is conducted is more like some kind of informal discussion IIRC

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think the Finals demonstrated the Blues were the clear second best team in the Playoffs

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

MononcQc posted:

it would own if only one of the sedins made it in

Doesn't matter. They'd both go to the ceremony and just switch seats when nobody was looking.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

whatis posted:

full list:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1541498631760527366

I figured Henrik would get in, wasn't sure about Daniel

I hope one twin gives both speeches. Or they swap speeches

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

I don't know what you're banging on about here because most of these picks have actually turned out reasonably well. Liljegren was before Dubas was GM anyway, and I'm willing to bet that he's going to have a decent NHL career. The 6'6 monster they drafted 59th (Eemeli Rasanen) is a complete bust.

2018 - Sandin (#29) and Durzi (#52) are NHLers. Mac Hollowell (118) and Filip Kral (149) are pretty good AHLers, though I doubt they have much of an NHL future. Still, that's a reasonable haul for where those guys were picked, no matter how hilarious it was that Dubas picked two guys out of the Soo.

2019 - Kokkonen (#84) was decent in a brief Marlies stint. His year back in Liiga wasn't particularly impressive, but he'll be an AHL regular again. Koster (146) and Loponen (204) were no more or less busty than any other 5th+ round pick.

2020 - Niemela (#64) torched Liiga and was a great value pick. Villeneuve (122) doesn't fit the mold; he's 6'2 and defensively responsible (for his age) with skating as his main flaw, and also had a decent junior career. Axel Rindell (177) got an ELC for some reason, so I guess we'll see with him too.

Nitpicking a bunch of 4th+ round picks is inane. If you're going to say they should be picking bigger dudes in the hopes of hitting a home run on a top pairing defenseman that's hard to come by otherwise, well... Durzi was part of the Muzzin trade, so what else do you want?

I mean, you’ve posted a lot of guys who aren’t in the league and aren’t likely to do much, guys who made the league in limited roles and have been a mixed bag, and Durzi. And yeah, they’ve also drafted straight-up refrigerators and overage garbage forwards with their picks but their tendencies towards style of play are not only clear they’ve been stated by the team. Like, is there a refutation in those listed picks that the Leafs have selected a ton of “hockey sense” guys without other clear skills?

Will Villeneuve is 6’2” and (reading reports)… not a good skater, no mention of a one-timer or shot from distance with mostly assists in his totals, and despite claims that he’s not a liability the talking points are all about transition and offensive instinct. Like, sure I’m being pessimistic but that’s just Liljegren but taller. I mean, the entire hype train around Matt Knies is because the Leafs don’t have any other prospects with his attributes, do we need to argue this point? I’ll grant you I’m hopeful for him and Niemela.

And the bit about cleaning out the directors and Wickenheiser and Goyette coming in to try to shape up the pipeline are straight up facts, if you have an Athletic subscription you can find the interviews where they call out the previous development of the prospect pool.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yea sure whatever, that's fine. A lot of Bruins fans think he sucks and want him gone because he simultaneously isn't drafting good enough prospects while also not doing enough to make the team better right this second, but I think he's done alright. The team has been a playoffs mainstay and frequent contender and got to within one win of another Cup under his management. More good signings than bad, more good trades than bad, and 2015 aside the drafting has been fine (McAvoy, Swayman, Carlo, a bevy of other useful but not exceptional players, etc.). There was no way they were going to let him walk, much less fire him. It'll be interesting to see how he does now that the team is likely on the downswing though.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

And the bit about cleaning out the directors and Wickenheiser and Goyette coming in to try to shape up the pipeline are straight up facts, if you have an Athletic subscription you can find the interviews where they call out the previous development of the prospect pool.

The old guys didn't do too badly all things considered. I mean, Freddie the Goat and friends all probably at least met their low expectations. I doubt anyone could have turned like Adam Brooks into more than non-harmful roster filler. But then again, the old team was Stephane Robidas just because he needed something to do on the island so the bar wasntthat high.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

deoju posted:

Russia just defaulted on their foreign debt for the first time in more than a century today, the ruble might not be a wise investment atm.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. :shrug:

You know they don't have to be paid in rubles right?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You know they don't have to be paid in rubles right?

Yeah, but Russia doesn't have access to anything but rubles right now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah poor Putin will be scrounging through dumpsters by next week

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Putin’s money is in USD.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah, but Russia doesn't have access to anything but rubles right now.

That's the funniest thing I've heard today and that even includes Jack Johnson winning a cup.

Edit: probably bullion too Aphro :p

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Put Chris Osgood Henrik Zetterberg into the HoF you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Now I need the Cats or Sharks to win next year please