Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

What the hell are leftover mashed potatoes?

My grandmother knows people love mashed potatoes and so in an attempt to make enough, she always makes way too much. Because people also love her leftover mashed potato latkes. It's an excellent "problem" to have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ilmucche posted:

Lol. If she didn't want them in why not straight up say it??

Because if they choose of their own accord not to attend the wedding, then it is not your fault. And you can kid yourself that you were welcoming abd it is their problem, not yours.

But if you say "I don't want you at this wedding!" then you look bad. And they get offended.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Leftover Lady sounds like she made an honest mistake and if she learns from this and is gracious about her ignorance(Probably by paying for replacement food) it sounds like she'll be alright.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Because if they choose of their own accord not to attend the wedding, then it is not your fault. And you can kid yourself that you were welcoming abd it is their problem, not yours.

But if you say "I don't want you at this wedding!" then you look bad. And they get offended.
She was trying to be gracious to her husband but absolutely did not want his siblings involved in the wedding, and the Best Man seemed to be in on the plan too when the husband was not. So I'm guessing the best man/MOH are together.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Hughlander posted:

The final update on this one went places...
What's the process when your wife's as bad as she can be?
G-E-T-D-I-V-O-R-C-E-D
Liar, cheater, rear end in a top hat, all the same to you and me!
G-E-T-D-I-V-O-R-C-E-D
Get divorced (Right away!)
Get divorced (Right away!)
Forever you should file papers, bye-bye-bye-bye!
Move along and sing the song and toss the trash you see
G-E-T-D-I-V-O-R-C-E-D

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for being mad at my roommate for not attending my grandma’s funeral?

quote:

Throwaway account.

My 95 y/o grandma just passed away last week, and we have her wake today and her funeral tomorrow. I currently live with 3 female roommates, and consider them my closet friends. I’ve known all my roommates for about 2 years. I get along with everyone pretty well except for my one roommate who we will call Kay. Kay is my age, black, and I’ve known her probably for the longest. She and I used to work at a retail store before living together but weren’t very close.

Kay recently has been keeping to herself. She pays rent on time but is usually never home and spends most of her time with her bf. This bothers me a bit because I miss her, but I understand because her and her bf have been together for 4 years.

My grandma died last week Monday and when I texted everyone in our groupchat they were all very kind and expressed their condolences but Kay took forever to respond, which peeved me a bit. That same day while we were at dinner I asked Kay if she could come to the funeral on Tuesday next week and she looked angry but said she would let me know later.

After dinner she texted me saying she couldn’t come to the funeral because it was during her work hours. She explained that since she is an intern she can’t take off randomly because she wants to impress them and receive a full time offer. She also said she felt uncomfortable going because she didn’t know my grandma at all and felt it was disrespectful to go. She said she would come to the wake since it was after work but I told her not to bother and haven’t spoken to her since.

My therapist said I should apologize to her but I disagree. My other roommates are going to the funeral & have only met my grandma once.

TL;DR: Roommate won’t go to my grandma’s funeral because it’s during her work hours and since she didn’t know my grandma at all.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I feel like OP might have been able to save her brother some money if she’d mentioned ANY of this to him before the actual wedding.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

teen witch posted:

hash browns or the life affirming pyttipanna

I'm sorry but while making little potato patties out of leftover mashed potatoes is a good and noble thing; calling them hash browns is not.

Hash Browns need to be made by running potatoes through a mandolin, to ensure they're made of crispy little shards of golden brown goodness (and hopefully spiced with a touch of cayenne pepper or even some buffalo seasoning in a pinch).

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

AITA for making my son eat vegan for a month as punishment?

quote:

My family and friends are all calling me abusive, but I cannot see how any of this is abusive or assholish in any way.

So, I have 2 kids (16 M and 14 F.) Last year, my daughter decided to go vegan. I didn't have any problem with this one bit. I give her the money that I would spend on food for her anyway, she buys her own food and cooks it herself if what her mom is making isn't vegan. It has been the tiniest change we have ever had to go through.

For some reason though, my son has taken this change as an opportunity to bully his sister. I've made it clear to him that this is not ok at all, and have punished him sever times for his bullying, but it has never gotten through to him.

Last week, this all came to a head when my son took all of the food my daughter had bought for the week and hid it pretending he threw it away on garbage day. I got a call in the middle of the day at work from my daughter crying saying that he had thrown all her food away. I had to rush home only to discover it was just a prank. I was livid. I was ready to make him eat nothing but rice for the rest of his time under my roof but my wife calmed me down and came up with a better plan. For the next 30 days, we are going to eat nothing but vegan food. We will make nothing but vegan food and buy nothing but vegan products.

I told my son this, and that if he wants anything else he will be paying for it. He lost his mind, but for the past 5 days, we have been a vegan family. Well, my son called my parents and they rang me up furious. Telling me that I was abusing him. I ended up hanging up on them. The rest of my family followed suit, and some friends have now joined in saying that this is assholish of me.

My son is miserable, but I really don't care. He brought this upon himself. He still has food to eat, and can spend what little pocket money he has to buy meat for the next 25 days if he wants.

So, AITA?
This is not abusive this is hilarious. They're even letting him buy non-vegan products, it just has to be with his money.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being mad at my roommate for not attending my grandma’s funeral?

black huh? well, I dunno then

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Dazerbeams posted:

I feel like OP might have been able to save her brother some money if she’d mentioned ANY of this to him before the actual wedding.

She tried to:

quote:

About an hour ago my brother called me pleading with me to work things out with the bride because she’s panicking about me. I tried to explain this to him and he told me he doesn’t care, its a petty ladies issue, and since I’m not there for anything else this is the least I can do because the bride thinks I don’t like her because I wouldn’t come to anything. He’s taking her side. They know I’m in medical school, I have literally no say in my schedule. And I’m on the other side of the country, 5.5 hours by plane.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for kicking a misbehaved child and her mother out of my daughter’s birthday party?

quote:

I (35F) have a 10 year old daughter named Alicia. She just turned 10 this past Thursday and the party was Saturday. Alicia has a good friend at school named Quinn and she was at the party along with her mom Liz. The party was at one of those indoor trampoline, bouncy house places. I do not like Liz because she spoils Quinn to the point that’s she impossible to discipline, she doesn’t listen, and is very self centered.

Quinn is so spoiled that she throws tantrums whenever the attention isn’t on her, so I was afraid this would be an issue at the party but Alicia really wanted her there. So Alicia gets her cake and Liz actually asked me if Quinn could blow out the candles with my daughter because her daughter was about to pitch a fit. Alicia and I both said no and Quinn started to cry. Everyone ignored her while we ate cake and when we moved onto gifts.

Quinn threw a full blown tantrum when she saw Alicia opening all her presents from her family and friends. She screamed about wanting one of Alicia’s gifts and how it wasn’t fair how she was “getting everything”. It was so embarrassing because even people outside of our party room heard. Alicia was getting annoyed trying to yell her thank you’s to the guests for her gifts because some of them barely heard her over Quinn’s tantrum. The kids went to play again (one of the parents suggested it to get away from Quinn’s screaming) and she sat there and pouted instead of playing.

After everyone left the room I told Liz that she needed to take her daughter home because she was making Alicia’s party about her meltdowns. I said that Quinn obviously didn’t want to be there because the day wasn’t about her, so it would make sense to just leave. Liz tried to say she would calm Quinn down but I wouldn’t even let her speak. I demanded that she leave and went out to watch my daughter play. My husband (he was on his way, he was coming later on) told me that I should have just let Quinn stay instead of causing a scene and adding to the drama because Alicia was still having a good time.

I don’t know, I just don’t think Alicia wanted someone throwing tantrums every two seconds at her 10th bday party even if she didn’t say it. That’s not ideal for anyone. AITA?

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Propaniac posted:

AITA for throwing away uneaten food at my boyfriend's aunts house?

I really want to know this lady's backstory where leftovers weren't a thing. Were her parents insanely rich or were they neurotic weirdos who only fixed and ate tiny servings for every meal? Or was she raised in a weird cult with no refrigeration and strict rules about eating? Or maybe they just lived off TV dinners and other packaged meals?

Lots of questions.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blastedhellscape posted:

I really want to know this lady's backstory where leftovers weren't a thing. Were her parents insanely rich or were they neurotic weirdos who only fixed and ate tiny servings for every meal? Or was she raised in a weird cult with no refrigeration and strict rules about eating? Or maybe they just lived off TV dinners and other packaged meals?

Lots of questions.

She literally says that it's something they thought "poor people" did. She's rich.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

She literally says that it's something they thought "poor people" did. She's rich.

Yeah if you eat your leftovers your servants will starve.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blastedhellscape posted:

Lots of questions.

She grew up in Laguna Niguel.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Midnight Voyager posted:

Seems more like Upper Middle Class / Parents made it coming from worse.

Actual rich people don't tend to throw away poo poo to not look poor, they have so much poo poo they can't look poor anyway and using what you have keeps you rich.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Throwing away leftovers is strictly performative new money and aspirational middle class idiots

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

An even more baffling thing I've seen is a family who does put left overs in the fridge. And then just. Never eats them. Ever. They get thrown out once they get gross. For a bit, my partner lived with some other members of that family next door, and had full permission to come and go from their house as he pleased, and full access to their fridge. He ate good for that time, just from the leftovers that would otherwise never have been eaten.

That honestly just confuses me even more than never keeping leftovers at all. Just....why?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The hogs need the scraps

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AngryRobotsInc posted:

An even more baffling thing I've seen is a family who does put left overs in the fridge. And then just. Never eats them. Ever. They get thrown out once they get gross. For a bit, my partner lived with some other members of that family next door, and had full permission to come and go from their house as he pleased, and full access to their fridge. He ate good for that time, just from the leftovers that would otherwise never have been eaten.

That honestly just confuses me even more than never keeping leftovers at all. Just....why?

Sounds like good intentions., bad practice

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Brawnfire posted:

Sounds like good intentions., bad practice

Its pretty much this, in my home. We do save leftovers, but not all of them get eaten; about 50% do, I'd say. Most of the time if something was actually liked by everyone there won't be enough left afterward to refrigerate; things that do weren't that well received when they were hot, and that sure ain't gonna change once they're cold.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Both my and my husband's parents were Depression babies, and the idea of throwing out Perfectly Good Food (TM) is fingernails on a blackboard. You know what is and isn't good reheated the second day, and you freeze stuff that will still be good in weeks, and you know recipes that make good use of leftover things without feeling leftoverish. Just .... brrr. (freaks out) We do have the problem of going too long between ransacking the fridge and throwing out all the old food, though.

It interests me, as a reader of old cookbooks, to see how much the use-up-the-leftovers recipes have changed. '20s and '30s (IIRC) American cookbooks were all about rissoles and croquettes: mince it up, bind it, crumb it, and fry. '50s-70s (at least) were casserole time. My husband does most of the cooking; his go-tos for leftover meat are fried rice/fried noodles and, of course, hash. Mmmm, hash.

... does OP's family never eat hash? Do they cook meat from scratch to make hash?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for kicking a misbehaved child and her mother out of my daughter’s birthday party?

I read this earlier but couldn't think of a non-rear end in a top hat way to describe that lady and her kid.

Jesus Christ what a nightmare.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

:sickos:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am helped with leftovers by having absolutely dumpster tastes and not minding things reheated that most people don't like that way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my boyfriend not to donate his sperm

quote:

I (21f) have been in a relationship with my boyfriend (22m) for a year and he’s just announced that he’s seriously considering the process of donating his sperm. He says he’d like to do it so he can help people struggling to conceive as he obviously has ‘sperm that works’. For a bit of background information, he has three children with his ex girlfriend and she also had a miscarriage at just under 12 weeks. I also unfortunately had a miscarriage at 9 weeks and from the moment he found out he wasn’t happy about it, he told me it wasn’t a good time in the relationship as we don’t live together, he would only let me live with him once I was earning a certain income and there were medical concerns with his previous children. He sees it as being no different to donating blood or organs after you die but for me it’s deeper than that as he says he might not ever want children with me. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

No idea about the spoilered but I bet any decent sperm bank would be very interested.

Wasn't there some British dude who made headlines for having something like 60 kids, all with some neuro health issues, but because he did it all on the side and without a clinic, the women were SOL?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
your poison sperm is making the fertility clinic too crowded

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for letting my mother have an input about mine and my fiancee's wedding

quote:

My (27m) mom (54f) is my queen. I've been raised by her and she was a single parent since my dad abandoned us when my siblings and I were still very young. I've made a promise to myself and my mom that I'll never let her get treated badly again and how she can always rely on me.

I met my fiancée 4 years ago on a business trip. After a while we started dating. I introduced her to my mom after few months of dating and my mom liked her. Throughout those 4 years my fiancée and my mom haven't seen each other a lot because my fiancée and I live in a different city. I travel to visit my mom as often as possible but due to work schedules my fiancée doesn't always make it.

My mom has taken a bit of offense on that fact that my fiancée doesn't make more time for her and while I understand, I simply can't force my fiancée to change her work schedules.

I proposed to my fiancée few months ago and now we've started planning for the wedding. My mom also wants to be involved and I let her. My fiancée was against my mom being involved at first but I explained to her how important it is for me for her and my mom to get along and plan things together and how I don't want to make my mom feel left out. Eventually my fiancée got over it and was planning with my mom.

But the past month or so there has been some heavy tension between them and while I try to keep the peace, my fiancée says she's done with my mom and how she feels disrespected by her. I try to get them both to solve things in a civilised manner and I've explained to my fiancée that I'd appreciate if she was more easy going with my mom.

Some of the latest incidents involved my mom going off at my fiancée because my fiancée has more guests on her side than we do on my side because she has a bigger extended family. My mom feels the bride having more guests will overshadow our family being smaller. My mom is also questioning my fiancées wedding dress choice (I haven't seen the dress so I don't know) but mom insists it's inappropriate for the wedding and not fit for a serious woman who's about to marry me.

I told my fiancé how I understand why she might be frustrated with my mom's involvement but I cleared it up to her that regardless of what she does or says. She's my mom. She's been through a lot in her life and despite their disagreements I won't allow anyone, even my fiancée to show disrespect to her so while she can have her own opinions about our wedding,she has no right to ever disrespect my mom.

My fiancée called me an AH and a little boy with no backbone who can't say a word to stand up to his mom and how I've never stood up to her and I always let my mom disrespect her and now disrespect our wedding wishes. I was just trying to be compassionate and find a balance. AITA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I told her that I'm marrying her because it's not legally possible to marry my mom, and that she'll just have to accept that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This guy's gonna hear a lot of "you have to choose between your mom and your fiancee," and when you say it that way it's easy to think that your mom has always been there for you and you could never completely abandon her. What he needs to realize is the real choice is either having his mom be kind of annoyed or not having a fiancee at all.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lol even in his telling the mother is insane and unreasonable

hope the fiancee sees the flags and goes and finds a grown man instead

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mx. posted:

lol even in his telling the mother is insane and unreasonable

hope the fiancee sees the flags and goes and finds a grown man instead

Hope fiancée finds the post and leaves him through a comment.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly from the sound of it she already has, they just haven't worked out the details. I don't see any salvaging this.

What the guy needs to do is understand that he can either have this relationship with his mother for the rest of her life, or he can have absolutely no meaningful romantic relationships for the rest of his life. He can't have both. When the split is eventually finalized and they figure out how to split their stuff he should put some boundaries in place with his mom - not even harsh boundaries, just reasonable ones like saying "no" occasionally - and then stick to those after he meets someone else. He can't wait until he's in another relationship or the mom will just blame her for taking her little boy away. Get those in place now and get her used to the idea that he has a spine and can't throw away his entire life for her.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Baron von Eevl posted:

Honestly from the sound of it she already has, they just haven't worked out the details. I don't see any salvaging this.

What the guy needs to do is understand that he can either have this relationship with his mother for the rest of her life, or he can have absolutely no meaningful romantic relationships for the rest of his life. He can't have both. When the split is eventually finalized and they figure out how to split their stuff he should put some boundaries in place with his mom - not even harsh boundaries, just reasonable ones like saying "no" occasionally - and then stick to those after he meets someone else. He can't wait until he's in another relationship or the mom will just blame her for taking her little boy away. Get those in place now and get her used to the idea that he has a spine and can't throw away his entire life for her.

Dude's first line was "My (27m) mom (54f) is my queen." He's not laying down any boundaries.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend not to donate his sperm

No idea about the spoilered but I bet any decent sperm bank would be very interested.

Wasn't there some British dude who made headlines for having something like 60 kids, all with some neuro health issues, but because he did it all on the side and without a clinic, the women were SOL?

The Netflix documentary “Our Father” details the story of Donald Cline, who used…his own product…at his fertility clinic, resulting in at least 94 children, with many reporting health issues.

Naturally, he was not criminally liable due to bullshit.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for giving my SIL and niece conditions?

quote:

My kids speak French because my husband is from Quebec but they also speak English because we live in an English speaking province. I can understand it sort of but my accent sucks.

We’re currently visiting my in laws and everything was ok. It’s just my 17 year old niece REALLY likes to tease me about my limited French.

I laugh it off because she’s only joking and I’m grown enough to not take her seriously.

Thing is, for dinner everyone was spread out. I was sitting with my kids because my son wanted me to feed him. Suddenly, my niece comes up to me, says something and giggles. I was out of it because my son had just spilled his juice and I was cleaning it up but next thing I knew my OTHER son started yelling at her. He was mostly telling her to shut up.

My niece freaked out and ended up slipping on the juice. I immediately helped her up and called her parents who started screaming at my son after she told them what happened. I told them to cut it out and that their daughter said something to make my son react like that. My husband then talked to my son who told him that my niece said something extremely disgusting about me. He refuses to tell anyone what she said. She admitted to saying something but won’t clarify either.

My husband told his sister who said that my kid’s probably making poo poo up and that he’s lying and has anger issues. My son does have a problem with anger but that is a genuine mental health issue he’s seeing a professional for. Also he’s 9. I really didn’t appreciate that so I told my husband that we were leaving. He agreed and told his sister that he’s no longer paying for my niece’s future.

My sister in law and niece FREAKED. They begged me to talk to him but I told them that I’d only talk to him if 1. Niece tells me what she said and 2. They apologize to my son genuinely.

They called me a childish, selfish and immature AH that needs to stop being so uptight, sensitive and dramatic over a tiny mistake and think about niece’s future as I’m ruining it. AITA for giving them conditions? They and my husband’s other sisters think so. So does my sister who thinks I should just tell them to F off.

My niece is turning 18 in a few months which is why I said 18 in the comment bot thing.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for letting my mother have an input about mine and my fiancee's wedding

Is this the dude that owns most of the porn streaming sites?

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

"You can't invite your family to your wedding and you dress like a slut."

Run, lady, run. There's still time.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

The Netflix documentary “Our Father” details the story of Donald Cline, who used…his own product…at his fertility clinic, resulting in at least 94 children, with many reporting health issues.

Naturally, he was not criminally liable due to bullshit.

Is this what peak reproductive fitness looks like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for giving my SIL and niece conditions?

They called me a childish, selfish and immature AH that needs to stop being so uptight, sensitive and dramatic over a tiny mistake and think about niece’s future as I’m ruining it.

My mind will never cease to be boggled by people who do dumb poo poo, face the consequences for it, and then blame the person they did the dumb poo poo to for those consequences. What part of a person's upbringing allows them to skip past the whole "I do something = someone will react to that something, and if what I did was lovely, their reaction will be lovely"?

Like, the niece partly ruined her own future by being a dumb 17-year old, but her mom sure as hell hammered the nail into that coffin when she immediately accused OP's kid of lying and starting poo poo. Plus, the dad is the one who cut off the niece, not OP; if they want to blame someone for ruining the niece's future, they're looking at the wrong parent (well, the wrong family, but they're never going to see it that way).