Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Not that I’m getting one anytime soon but how easy is it to actually do gamepass on this thing? I assume difficult enough to make it impossible
streaming only and microsoft has a guide for it i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not that I’m getting one anytime soon but how easy is it to actually do gamepass on this thing? I assume difficult enough to make it impossible

Streaming through xcloud is easy as hell and MS themselves have a guide on how to set it up including icon packs so the link looks nice in your library. If you dual boot you can just straight up install the xbox app and play anything on PC game pass no problem but you’ll either need a controller or get an app to emulate a controller since non-steam apps don’t “see” the deck controls in Windows.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You either do cloud streaming or install Windows on it to play natively.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

haldolium posted:

no improvement notable yet? after all nvidia went kinda open source for part of their driver back in May iirc - a major move even if it's only for turing+ampere

That was too recent to have had an impact. My understanding is they only open source the kennel bits and none of the user space stuff. Any impact it has will be a while yet.

Should have said: Pop!_os and EndeavourOS provided NVidia driver enabled installers as an option and those will install the proprietary drivers for you, no fuss at all.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Cloud streaming is alright, the biggest downside to me is the lack of rumble.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I was getting the same however found this which did the trick! Not too difficult

Go to Desktop Mode

Open the Discover app

Install ProtonUp-QT and launch it

Select "Add version" and choose to install the desired version of GE

Back in "Gaming Mode", set games you want to use it on by opening their properties (from the cog icon to the right when you select a game), and going to the "Compatibility" tab

Oh awesome! Thank you for this! It worked perfectly!

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
Has anyone found a smooth setup for listening to podcasts on their deck while gaming? I usually use https://pocketcasts.com/ on my phone or via their web player. The web player does work through the deck's chrome but it is obviously pretty tied to having an internet connection. It's workable but not perfect.

I'm curious if some any one has found a slicker approach.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone had good luck running oblivion or morrowwind on their deck?

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Ostrava posted:

Has anyone found a smooth setup for listening to podcasts on their deck while gaming? I usually use https://pocketcasts.com/ on my phone or via their web player. The web player does work through the deck's chrome but it is obviously pretty tied to having an internet connection. It's workable but not perfect.

Well gently caress me, I just tried streaming BT audio to the deck and it works from my phone with no fuss. Did not expect that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ostrava posted:

Well gently caress me, I just tried streaming BT audio to the deck and it works from my phone with no fuss. Did not expect that.

How did you do that?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

ThermoPhysical posted:

How did you do that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ub3wrz/you_can_connect_your_phone_to_your_deck_and/

quote:

All you need to do, is go to the desktop mode, pair your phone via Bluetooth, choose deck as default audio out in your phone if needed, then go back to the game mode, your phone should be listed as disconnected in Bluetooth options, just reconnect it, and it should work.

Ostrava posted:

You can install pocket casts on linux (from the discover store in desktop mode, see https://flathub.org/apps/details/tech.feliciano.pocket-casts), add it as a non-steam program, and run it in gaming mode!

e: whoops it doesn't support downloads. There's a ton of other podcast apps available that do include downloads tho, like https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gpodder.gpodder

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

How did you do that?

It worked exactly like pairing a BT speaker would've:

Turn on steam deck, make sure BT is on
On your phone go into BT settings and pair a new device
Steam deck should show up pair it
From there just treat it like an audio device when selecting where audio goes
I was able to do all this from game mode

I run an android phone.

Ostrava fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 27, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone had good luck running oblivion or morrowwind on their deck?

They both work fine, though you might want to tweak the default control config. The default settings work fine for playing the game itself, but I found was bad for menus. Add one of the trackpads to function like a mouse with a left click to make it a lot easier to navigate inventory, etc.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Is there a fix for the alex legends stutter? I have everything set to low yet still get frequent hiccups.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm not on a deck just a linux pc, and i had issues with apex when i reinstalled it on another ssd after the patch the other day, and it took a few days but now it's perfectly smooth again

i'm gonna guess they did a bunch of changes to shaders and it has to recompile them for dxvk again. if it's still happening regularly after more than a couple hours of play then idk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So... Dumb question, but if these games are getting Deck verified, that essentially means "plays great on Linux (assuming you have a powerful enough setup)", right?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think it's saying some combination of Works Great on Proton (Linux if not UNIX) and Works With Our Buttons.

And the Deck isn't even super-beefy. (Though it is for its price and form-factor.)

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Audax posted:

Is there a fix for the alex legends stutter? I have everything set to low yet still get frequent hiccups.

Nah, Alex hasn't gotten around to it yet.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So... Dumb question, but if these games are getting Deck verified, that essentially means "plays great on Linux (assuming you have a powerful enough setup)", right?

I'd modify this slightly to: "plays great on Proton", which as you likely know is the software on Deck which makes it able to play Windows games.

This nitpick is because a lot of games which are Deck verified won't have a Linux release, so they won't universally work on Linux. Except - to make everything even more complicated - some of the games do have a native Linux version so they will work on Linux universally. lol except where they don't because computers are hard.

So, don't interpret it as "I can be confident this works on Linux", but rather "I can be confident this works on Valve's specific setup on the Deck".

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Though if you have an AMD GPU (also probably doesn't hurt to have an AMD CPU as well) anything that's deck verified or deck playable will probably work just fine on your hardware running Linux (and proton) too.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I got my email and ordered my Deck on Thursday but it still hasn't shipped. I hope it arrives in time for my upcoming trip :ohdear:

Did y'all's take several days to get in the mail too?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I got my email and ordered my Deck on Thursday but it still hasn't shipped. I hope it arrives in time for my upcoming trip :ohdear:

I think mine was fairly close to a week before it finally shipped out.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Audax posted:

Try changing from 40 to 60 Hz, I had an issue before where Hitman 2 would stutter if set to 40 Hz.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I paid for my 256 on the 16th and got it today in NorCal.

Is there a way to make the Deck talk to a HDD connected to a Nvidia Shield? On Win10 I can point file explorer at the IP address and hand over the user/pass, but I don't know how to do that in Deck desktop browser, assuming it's possible at all.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

I paid for my 256 on the 16th and got it today in NorCal.

Is there a way to make the Deck talk to a HDD connected to a Nvidia Shield? On Win10 I can point file explorer at the IP address and hand over the user/pass, but I don't know how to do that in Deck desktop browser, assuming it's possible at all.

It's been a while since I last did this but if it's a windows share, then you should be able to access it from the file browser in desktop mode, just point it at smb://ip_address
(smb is the windows share protocol, so the file explorer need to be told that this is what you're looking for)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I was a Thursday order as well; I think I paid Thursday, that Saturday it was on "Shipping Soon" until the next Tuesday and it wasn't supposed to get to me until the following Monday, but it arrived a day early on Sunday. It was a terrible wait.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Enjoying Kingdoms and Castles, which just got a Deck update. Runs and controls nicely.

Anyone have any colony/village/town sims that are good and Deck-friendly?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ostrava posted:

Fuckin star trek technology. All so I can make norman reedus pee while I poop. What a time to be alive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should have another category that is "customer verified" or something. Like, verified but with the asterisk that valve hasn't checked it. Basically every "not supported" game I have tried has worked perfectly and while I'm sure it'll be sorted eventually it'd be nice if we could collectively report on games in a way that everyone can see, at least while documentation is spotty

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, there really needs to be a direct link to protondb on steam, along with the protondb rating listed next to it. if it's gold or better chances are it works fine out of the box

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Received my Deck today and I now totally get why the Switch is as popular as it is.

Also, being able to run the FF7 Remake at surprisingly good frame rates was a real woah-moment.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Truga posted:

yeah, there really needs to be a direct link to protondb on steam, along with the protondb rating listed next to it. if it's gold or better chances are it works fine out of the box

There is if you use Augmented Steam

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Has anyone tried using the Sony anc headphones with this? Not the in ear ones, the actual headphones.

These https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-w...oductVariations

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 28, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
huh that's new, i remember specifically looking for it in augmented steam some months ago, i guess deck did its job :v:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I was a Monday order and it didn't hit the road til Friday.

And now the FedEx tracking page says it's "out for delivery" somewhere in Utah. I live in southern California :bang:

edit: It also said "shipping soon" until midday Friday, and when it updated the tracking history said it actually left Thursday night. So who knows, FedEx may not be running the tightest of ships here.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 28, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Truga posted:

huh that's new, i remember specifically looking for it in augmented steam some months ago, i guess deck did its job :v:

You might have to enable it in the settings for the store page
e: it was added in 2019 :v:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 28, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Has anyone tried using the Sony anc headphones with this? Not the in ear ones, the actual headphones.

Assuming you're asking about BT perf: LDAC has been pretty decent latency with the Deck with 2 different devices. I assume that's what the Sony WH4 or whatever will use given that's a Sony codec.

The Deck has a strong preference for LDAC in its negotiation, which is cool.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

e: ^^^ that is probably a more useful answer.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

These https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-w...oductVariations

not specifically those, no, but it works fine with my WHCH710N headphones, for what it's worth.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tamba posted:

You might have to enable it in the settings for the store page
e: it was added in 2019 :v:

yeah found it in settings thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FishMcCool posted:

It's been a while since I last did this but if it's a windows share, then you should be able to access it from the file browser in desktop mode, just point it at smb://ip_address
(smb is the windows share protocol, so the file explorer need to be told that this is what you're looking for)

Thanks for this, turned out to be the answer, it's just that the way it's presented in dolphin is weird to me. Also it first required me to give a folder name, but later let me try without one.

Related to tapping ip addresses into the file browser, is the keyboard sensitivity really low? Haptics goes off but drat if it doesn't drop every third entry if I tap like I'm on my phone.