Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Books are the worst part of any relic grind tbh. Even these days a single book takes like 30 minutes (so like 4.5 hours per weapon) and you're just laser focused on speedrunning boring stuff, hopping around a ton of zones, hunting down mobs, etc., with no other benefit. Light grind and stuff is also boring but just takes way less time these days with unsyncing, and you don't need to be nearly as focused.

In terms of total time sure Eureka is pretty insane but I really did get enjoyment out of the casual "hang out in an old-school MMO zone and just chat with randoms" vibe.

e: to be fair I'm coming from the perspective of doing every relic all as a big grind, aka A Crazy Person, so this is maybe not relevant to all players

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I would just do one book a day. That's how I usually do it and stay sane that way.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I maintain that the stage where you have to desynthesize a bunch of trash sold by a vendor to get non-guaranteed crafting material drops is the worst part of the ARR relic.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

W.T. Fits posted:

I maintain that the stage where you have to desynthesize a bunch of trash sold by a vendor to get non-guaranteed crafting material drops is the worst part of the ARR relic.

Ha, you can buy those off the market board for cheap.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kwyndig posted:

Ha, you can buy those off the market board for cheap.

Not on Diabolos! :buddy:

"Our Prices are poo poo, But Our Friends are Lit."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Help me, I love this game.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Seems like you're getting the hang of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

One of us! One of us!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You're doing a real good job on the side activities of the game. I love that red panda hanging on!

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Kwyndig posted:

You're doing a real good job on the side activities of the game. I love that red panda hanging on!

One of the perks of being a Lalafell is that shoulder pets just sit on our heads, and the red panda is extra adorable because of that. :3:

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 28, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Hey, please sell me on FF14 because the dress up seems divine but I'm on the fence:

What I like:
-Dress up, especially if it is free or cheap. Bonus if there are outfit slots irrespective of actual armor.

-SOLO play. I bounce between games a lot and play most games solo. If teaming up is like Warframe where you can get auto-matched for specific content, that's cool.

-The FF games, overall. I've played almost all of them.

-The jobs/classes being accessable by one character where swapping is free/fast.

What I don't like:
-Aggressive micro transactions.

-Monthly sub fees. I can tolerate it if the game is fantastic but knowing I'm paying makes me feel trapped and that I shouldn't play anything else.

-Grinding for gear that is 1% better. I don't mind repetitive content so long as the rewards are somewhat meaningful.

Is FF14 good for brand new players?
I've played a lot of Korean online games and the info overload is severe and puts me off right away.

Inzombiac posted:

Help me, I love this game.

:allears:

The Sprout's Journey: A Tale in Two Posts

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The moment I knew me and this game can be friends is when sometime back in ARR they added /visor.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

The moment I knew me and this game can be friends is when sometime back in ARR they added /visor.
Protip: you can /visor during Mahjong matches and it'll be visible on your profile thing. Great for making a riichii even more dramatic

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Warmachine posted:

:allears:

The Sprout's Journey: A Tale in Two Posts

I find the combat kinda stilted but MANOMAN the rest of the game is aces.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Martman posted:

Protip: you can /visor during Mahjong matches and it'll be visible on your profile thing. Great for making a riichii even more dramatic

Do people actually populate mahjong queues in this game?

I'd been thinking about learning but it sounded like it was deserted.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 28, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lol my friend got the free trial and basically I never saw him doing anything other than mahjong for awhile

Griz
May 21, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

the gcd seems slow as gently caress at first but later on you have a zillion ogcds or classes with a button mash burst phase like MCH and making it any faster would be unplayable unless you have perfect ping.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Inzombiac posted:

I would say the combat gets better eventually but you are a summoner so it won't until like, level 86. And even then....

Edit: To add to this, since you're a sprout and I don't want you to get disheartened, I actually quite like Summoner personally. Eventually you're going to get primal themed skillswaps for some things and the class gets really flashy and I think it's very cool. I thought I was going to hate it because it is by far the easiest job in the game and it has the least buttons but it's just flashy enough that it doesn't matter, to me. It's actually my favorite caster now, not that this really matters since 99% of my combat job time is spent on reaper, but every now and then i will break summoner out for fate grinding just to get some variety. All of that said, if you hit level 50 and you find yourself really not feeling it, there is always red mage which is more advanced than smn but is still pretty intuitive and easy to play at an acceptable level. It also starts at level 50 and will mostly use the same gear your smn does so it's an easy switch.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 28, 2022

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That's why I like dancing. Buttons light up, pretty colors shoot out.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Corbeau posted:

When they added the quicker match function it helped a lot, I usually find matches within like 5 minutes during generally active hours.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Corbeau posted:

The Japanese DCs are popping with Mahjong players, but not sure how things are outside Japan.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I know there was some oddity about Mahjong where it turns out FFXIV is the best platform available to play Mahjong online for free, so you have a whole bunch of free trial Mahjong masters who never do anything else. Not sure if it's much of a thing outside the Japanese datacenters though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

super-redguy posted:

The Japanese DCs are popping with Mahjong players, but not sure how things are outside Japan.

Also fine on the Light data center where I am. Queues fire all day (at least thew novice one, no one ever uses the advanced queue) and we have Mahjong meetups every Saturday.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Goddamn managed to snag a house in Mist with a nice seaside view out of a total of 120 entrants. Now I just need to win Cactpot.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I saw a guy run past in the residential area a few times. On the next sighting I chased him down, which was not easy. Dude had a route and had perfect lines and corners. When I caught up we chatted for a bit.

This dude has been playing for 4-5 years. His favorite thing to do is run laps around the residential area. Only Shirogane and Lavender Beds, and then just his favorite wards. This is what he does with most of his time in FFXIV. Dude was level 80. He said it is relaxing.

I love finding out new things people are doing in this game. He seemed really nice. Hoped he wasn't bothering anyone. If I see him again I'll probably join for a lap or two.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Heran Bago posted:

I saw a guy run past in the residential area a few times. On the next sighting I chased him down, which was not easy. Dude had a route and had perfect lines and corners. When I caught up we chatted for a bit.

Honestly curious, did he use sprint?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Failboattootoot posted:

I would say the combat gets better eventually but you are a summoner so it won't until like, level 86. And even then....

I think right now it boils down to my hotbars not being well optimized. I've tried to cluster skill-dependants near eachother but eventually my hand ends up aching.

Clicking the buttons seems... archaic, somehow.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I think right now it boils down to my hotbars not being well optimized. I've tried to cluster skill-dependants near eachother but eventually my hand ends up aching.

Ages ago I switched over to "MMO mice" with 12 buttons under the thumb mapped to your number bar. Even after I stopped playing MMOs regularly, I've kept using them out of habit. They're a huge QOL improvement if you're playing MMOs for any length of time.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Can I interest you in our lord and savior, the controller?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Warmachine posted:

Ages ago I switched over to "MMO mice" with 12 buttons under the thumb mapped to your number bar. Even after I stopped playing MMOs regularly, I've kept using them out of habit. They're a huge QOL improvement if you're playing MMOs for any length of time.

...I have one of those and completely spaced on that being an option. With how customizable this game is, I don't know why I had it in my head that you couldn't rebind those.

As for controllers, I have a PowerA controller in the XBox style. I tried it out and was too tired to relearn how to navigate everything. Maybe I'll give it another shot soon.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Madmarker posted:

I've tried it, but I've used the Razer Tartarus since it was the Belkin N52 back in my WoW days. It gives me access to 30 buttons immediately (plenty for most jobs), movement on the hat switch, and jump on the thumb button.

I got an MMO mouse, but I don't trust my right thumb enough to put anything but stuff like Peloton, Sprint, duty action, and limit break over there. One of the mouse buttons is my push-to-talk as well.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I have my bars set up with Q and E to switch between bar 1 and 2, bar 3 being static and accessed by holding Shift, and then F G and V mapped for "utility"

This is, in my experience, enough buttons to cover all the rotational abilities I want to hotkey in a logical manner, with extra left over. Some of my classes share Q and E mappings and only differ in whether the main GCDs are AOE or Single-Target, for example.

I also display them in 3x4 blocks to match the layout on my mouse. It helps with the muscle memory.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I use Q and E to strafe

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Part of what I liked about SMN was that my key layout for it felt really good and streamlined. It was easy to have a small subset of easy to reach buttons for the base attacks and then a modifier key (that for me is comfy to hold for long periods) for the pet versions of those buttons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vitamean posted:

I use Q and E to strafe

hosed up

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

You can also write macros that essentially create toggles for your hotbar. Basically all my classes have a bar that swaps between aoe and single target mode :v:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i only run forward with w and occasionally step back with s, so q, r, a, and d are all skill hotkey buttons :smug:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

SMN has so few buttons that I barely even use my shift modifiers. I use ESDF for movement, with AQWRTG and 1-6 for combat bindings. Here's my SMN bindings:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Madmarker posted:

I cant recommend this enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My left hand is only good for 1-6 and I have 9-12 under my thumb on the mouse. I just click on everything else.