Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
solution: rearrange the schedule to buy an extra hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Now this is interesting - I don't recall them ever switching games around to get an incentive met.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grondoth posted:

okay hold on, it's a lovely 3D game? That might be pretty drat funny
it looks like this lol

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Kestral posted:

Now this is interesting - I don't recall them ever switching games around to get an incentive met.

Gonna be real awkward if it remains unmet after this next run.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I'm glad the preteens have their own form of entertainment but holy poo poo is the 'so scary guiz, let's stream me fake screaming at jump scares' twitch-bait games are miserable.

even worse is the fandom shipping these characters in the weirdest ways

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Agent355 posted:

Also yes endlessly making every incentive feel so much more expensive every year is starting to feel lovely. We don't have to 'break the record' every year.

Ask capitalism how sustainable infinite growth is. Just be happy raising 2 million a year and knock it off.

As somebody who works in the nonprofit/fundraising space I wish this were an option. But you hit a milestone once and then Expectations are set.

(As far as GDQ is concerned, I think they do have the capacity to top themselves year after year, from both their audience expanding and from parts of that audience entering the workforce as they age...but the organizers seem to have a running issue with how they space out their milestones over the course of the week.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its just I understand its charity and they wanna raise as much money as possible but when the entire commentary for the past few hours is just constantly harping on how we need to get an incentive met, it really starts to kill the vibe of the whole thing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm going to laugh at FNAF for not getting met. I choose to believe it's because it's a trash game nobody wants to see.

The fact they changed the schedule for it means it might actually get met, bu tI'm still gonna laugh at it for not really getting met.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean, it makes sense in this case that they'd set bigger incentives 'cause this is the first gdq back in person in two and a half years so they prolly expect it to break records

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

So in Phasmophobia, were they actually fighting or killing the ghost? It kind of seemed like they just select what kind of ghost it was... and that was it? That seems really anti-climactic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nothing will top the RE3 run from pre-pandemic when bawkbasoup was tired as gently caress, losing his mind, and just muttering let'sago over and over

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I'm going to laugh at FNAF for not getting met. I choose to believe it's because it's a trash game nobody wants to see.

The fact they changed the schedule for it means it might actually get met, bu tI'm still gonna laugh at it for not really getting met.

That could be true. The FNAF developer is a hardcore Trump supporter, isn't he?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Chainclaw posted:

That could be true. The FNAF developer is a hardcore Trump supporter, isn't he?

He's a CHUD fucker, yeah

And when I think FNAF I think about how streamers like Pewdiepie got popular streaming it so gently caress that franchise, I'm not asking for my donation back but I do want to take it away from the incentive now

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I think the FNAF guy sold the rights though and this game isn't made by him? Could be wrong tho

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Also this dude is a huge goober

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
This Silent Hill 4 run has quite possibly the longest, most self-indulgent buildup that I've ever seen

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

The constantly increasing pressure for more demanding incentives is probably my least favorite thing about GDQ

the drive to go higher and further is, for better or worse, what sustains charity events like this in the long run

i'm not surprised that they're having a hard time getting an incentive met this early on in the run because i'm assuming the general amounts were set weeks in advance before the specter of recession really started looming, so you just have to roll with the number and adjust on-the-fly as needed

The 7th Guest posted:

security breach is a special kind of stupid because it's a first person 3D game of running around in a badly designed mall, rather than just rotating a pre-rendered still-screen around. the more budget the series gets the less spooky it gets. it's in that wheelhouse of games designed for markiplier to scream at fakely

one of the first things that happens in the game is that you, the child protagonist, find ultimate safety and security (quite literally; you're immune to attacks from the roaming animatronics) by crawling into freddy fazbear's metal womb, which is a hell of a way to start off your game, lemme tell you

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
They will probably not go into Scott Cawthon's politics, they never really bring that up in commentary

Speaking of commentary, I like enigma calling out the chat lol

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just like Dusty Rhodes though Eternal Engima knows how to stretch a promo.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

This Silent Hill 4 run has quite possibly the longest, most self-indulgent buildup that I've ever seen

I think they're stalling.

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022

Internet Kraken posted:

The constantly increasing pressure for more demanding incentives is probably my least favorite thing about GDQ

ORB

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Photex posted:

Let's just hope he doesn't get to blading.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AHH F/UGH posted:

I think the FNAF guy sold the rights though and this game isn't made by him? Could be wrong tho

I have several friends into FNAF. The franchise is in a terrible intersection of the original creator being a shithead but many of the biggest fans being on the complete opposite end of the spectrum and trying to 'reclaim' the franchise from him.

Its weird and makes me glad I don't care about it at all.

I like the orb :)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Enigma, desperate to reach the incentive, hits a co-commentator on the head with a chair

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

AHH F/UGH posted:

It's not developed by him but he basically "stepped back" in a way where he keeps getting paid and has to do less work, I never heard he gave up any rights and allegedly he was a huge reason the film adaptation stays stalled.

I do wish bid wars extended to fighting over if bonus games got played or not, though. I'd kick in to kick this one down.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Oil! posted:

Let's just hope he doesn't get to blading.

even worse, let's hope his muffler doesn't fall out. (this is a deep Dusty cut)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think the emotion that silent hill 4 evokes most strongly in me is realizing that PT is never going to come out and getting sad

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Photex posted:

Hard Times ith not meetin your inthentive, daddy!

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Orb is love, orb is life

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chainclaw posted:

So in Phasmophobia, were they actually fighting or killing the ghost? It kind of seemed like they just select what kind of ghost it was... and that was it? That seems really anti-climactic.

nah you figure it out and book it

it's a game of survival, and you have some delaying tactics for the ghost, but only a set number and when they're gone they're gone

of course this being a speed run and with some really good RNG, they didnt really need to push the survival end of things which is good and bad for something like GDQ

there was really only one run where they were getting hunted by the ghosts, and the last 2 team members made the conscious decision to not go back in and risk checking the books and opting for a guess based on behavior

on some of the larger maps, you can have the ghost pick off someone before you can even find the room if you're a bit unlucky and things get interesting after that

mind you for Phasmo, they were running the small maps category which was like 16 rooms maximum in a map

the largest map right now has like 120 rooms

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 28, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Vermain posted:

i think the emotion that silent hill 4 evokes most strongly in me is realizing that PT is never going to come out and getting sad

PT has caused more of a phantom pain among gamers than the actual game about and titled The Phantom Pain lol

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Is the runner doing something to move the camera around or is it just really weird and spastic? It's pretty unnerving I'll give it that.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I kind of like Rhilever's ozzie accent

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Is the runner doing something to move the camera around or is it just really weird and spastic? It's pretty unnerving I'll give it that.
it probably has to do with the 8-way movement, i assume the camera swings if you shift from one direction to another

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

wild he's doing this all on keyboard and no mouse

edit: nm there is the mouse

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Photex posted:

wild he's doing this all on keyboard and no mouse

edit: nm there is the mouse

silent hill 4 has these random-rear end first person sections like how some old NES/SNES games would randomly huck in some 2.5D levels for the hell of it, so you need both to do it optimally

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah, there's zero combat in the game. I guess the climax is leaving the map not knowing 100% if you guess the ghost correctly or got bamboozled until you see the results screen.

The game is more exciting when you're playing casually and spending enough time in the house that the ghost can get spooky. Here's a clip from a public lobby game I played on Nightmare, where we basically sacrificed a dude to learn the ghost type.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ImportantPunchyOctopusFUNgineer-bp4MC0C8IEgw4W00

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
As someone who genuinely screams out at jumpscares even when playing alone in my home with no audience, I've always resented everyone who insists that such reactions have to be faked for an audience.

I'm not saying they aren't, I'm sure many (if not most) on YouTube are, but I still resent the accusation that they must be.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DanielCross posted:

As someone who genuinely screams out at jumpscares even when playing alone in my home with no audience, I've always resented everyone who insists that such reactions have to be faked for an audience.

I'm not saying they aren't, I'm sure many (if not most) on YouTube are, but I still resent the accusation that they must be.
when it comes to youtubers that are all-ages friendly and very very popular, it's 100% faked. if it's just chill streamers, or people playing casually, of course you can get spooked and even scream

markiplier? pretending to be scared is basically his shtick

we're also talking about games that generally aren't scary and even have merchandise sold to kids at Gamestop, like FNAF, Bendy & the Ink Machine, Baldi's Basics, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

checking SGDQ 2021 stats it looks like they're behind by about 15,000