Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The only time diablo was scary was meeting the butcher the first time when I was 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Zenithe posted:

The only time diablo was scary was meeting the butcher the first time when I was 12

Same but I was 14. Nothing about Diablo has ever been scary since then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's definitely space for a slow atmospheric dungeon crawler in the vein of Diablo 1 but not from this series anymore because it hasn't been that for 25 years. The people who look at Diablo 3 and are like "this but 10x slower and boringer" can go play another game.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Diablo 3 is slower than diablo 2 though, 1:44 vs 0:55

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zenithe posted:

I admit this might be significantly tilting my opinion...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
turns out that when people described the series as 'grimdark' they actually were just referring to getting hosed repeatedly by the butcher

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

turns out that when people described the series as 'grimdark' they actually were just referring to getting hosed repeatedly by the butcher

"Pounded In The Butt By My Own Nostalgia For The Butcher" --Chuck Tingle

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The council at the back half of D2 Act 3 were probably worse in total. Then there was getting killed by Duriel's loading bottleneck.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Duriel in general is a gently caress even without the loading bull poo poo.

Massive, melee heavy boss in a tiny room so casters can’t keep distance. Well ok that’s annoying but at least melee. . . Oh cold aura that slows melee down enough to see individual frames in the attack animation?

gently caress off duriel goddamn.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The one that always stuck with me was getting hit locked while encircled in the hell levels of D1. Specially when you had a maxed out mana character and were spam teleporting around and you pop yourself right into the middle of a big pack.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Dameius posted:

The one that always stuck with me was getting hit locked while encircled in the hell levels of D1. Specially when you had a maxed out mana character and were spam teleporting around and you pop yourself right into the middle of a big pack.

This is peak Diablo

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Shumagorath posted:

They seemed to have learned their lesson for D4, but the bottom line is I should be scared going into a new dungeon.

I think you're playing the wrong genre if you expect this from Diablo ever again.

Dark Souls can effectively evoke a sense of dread because it brandishes the scariest threat of all-- wasting your time by erasing your progress. The art direction is window dressing in this regard.

The industry seems to have largely concluded ~20 years ago that this is not what people are looking for out of loot ARPGs. It's difficult to scare the player with a monster while they are at the wheel of a monster slaughter optimization simulator. You would have to change the formula so radically that most people would no longer recognize it as Diablo.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 28, 2022

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Yeah zombies and monsters are less scary when you’re killing dozens of them every second.

Unrelated: I think the next logical place for Diablo to go is space

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Joke Miriam posted:

Yeah zombies and monsters are less scary when you’re killing dozens of them every second.

The dungeon siege guys already beat you to the punch with that idea. It's a shame that space siege sucked so bad...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
man, the targeting on D3's Corpse Explosion is so bad compared to D2R

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

That’s why everyone uses the poison rune, no think just spam button and run around.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
My friend and I once died roughly 100x apiece to a random bright red boss bat in Diablo I in the catacombs. It was way faster than us and hit like a loving truck. We'd basically zone in, walk two steps, it would beeline to us and kill one of us and the other guy would hit it. One time. Then we'd both be back in town. But we were young and refused to give up, and when two hours later we finally killed it the bat dropped a loving set of plate mail.

To this day when poo poo starts to go south we both yell, "OH NO THE BAT!" and when we find something completely unexpected we say, "This bat was carrying plate mail."

I still don't understand how he could fly so fast clutching that plate. Then again, he was red.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

The bat bought legendary gems

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

JonathonSpectre posted:

My friend and I once died roughly 100x apiece to a random bright red boss bat in Diablo I in the catacombs. It was way faster than us and hit like a loving truck. We'd basically zone in, walk two steps, it would beeline to us and kill one of us and the other guy would hit it. One time. Then we'd both be back in town. But we were young and refused to give up, and when two hours later we finally killed it the bat dropped a loving set of plate mail.

To this day when poo poo starts to go south we both yell, "OH NO THE BAT!" and when we find something completely unexpected we say, "This bat was carrying plate mail."

I still don't understand how he could fly so fast clutching that plate. Then again, he was red.
This, but Bremm Sparkfist rolling Phys Immune, or meeting Treehand Woodfist on Nightmare at only level 24. D3 sort of had this pre-expansion with Inferno mode with insane affix combinations, but you couldn't even grind your way through like you and your brother did with that bat.

Not saying I miss old D3 but it did have some of those old school "loving RUN" moments.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 28, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

JonathonSpectre posted:

External Organs posted:

This is peak Diablo

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Shumagorath posted:

This, but Bremm Sparkfist rolling Phys Immune, or meeting Treehand Woodfist on Nightmare at only level 24. D3 sort of had this pre-expansion with Inferno mode with insane affix combinations, but you couldn't even grind your way through like you and your brother did with that bat.

Not saying I miss old D3 but it did have some of those old school "loving RUN" moments.

The original Inferno mode vs. Diablo as a demon hunter was loving ridiculous, you had to do frame-perfect dodges at least twice when you went into the Nightmare to avoid getting one-shot by your clone insta-spawning on top of you and immediately doing all your most powerful attacks. loving enraging.

Of course the Nightmare is the second phase of the fight so you have to beat regular old Inferno-difficulty Diablo to 50% before you hit those two frame-perfect dodges. Hope you got your fire resist up! One of the most infuriating fights in any game I've ever played, and the me of 2022 would probably have tried 3-4x and said gently caress this and played Rimworld to roleplay a triceratops rancher who dabbles in cyber T-Rex sales and the occasional bit of wholesale warlording.

But look at dat boy Diablo III today. I picked it back up the other day because of this thread and ran my old zookeeper WD through a few rifts and it's just awesome looking and awesome feeling and just an absolute hoot of a slaughterfest.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Duriel in general is a gently caress even without the loading bull poo poo.

Massive, melee heavy boss in a tiny room so casters can’t keep distance. Well ok that’s annoying but at least melee. . . Oh cold aura that slows melee down enough to see individual frames in the attack animation?

gently caress off duriel goddamn.

My zeal paladin just sat there and blasted him in the face, it was awesome.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Less of a run now and more a heavy sigh when I finish a high level grift and perdition appears.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Less of a run now and more a heavy sigh when I finish a high level grift and perdition appears.

Oh you mean realizing I just wasted the last 10-13 minutes to spawn the RG?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Field Mousepad posted:

Same but I was 14. Nothing about Diablo has ever been scary since then.

I was scared my Mum would come in and see the naked Succubus titties, so that kinda counts :buddy:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shumagorath posted:

It's fair to say house style influenced Diablo 3, but it did so to the series' detriment:

1) Diablo 1 and 2 light radius and the constant grim poo poo you'd find in level art worked together to create a horror aesthetic that the house style wipes out utterly with overly bright colours and clearly-seen monsters.

2) The music absolutely fell flat in the same regard.

3) Hordes of enemies went from being existential threads to something you just plow through (this is design and not art style, but I feel like "busy" overlaps with the art choice significantly).

They seemed to have learned their lesson for D4, but the bottom line is I should be scared going into a new dungeon.

Look, all I did was describe a thing. If you need a stat as useless as light radius to enjoy a video game, that's your problem.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Star Man posted:

Look, all I did was describe a thing. If you need a stat as useless as light radius to enjoy a video game, that's your problem.

I cant feel pleasure without attackers taking 3 damage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've just finished the story up to Act 3 as a level 47 Necromancer and I can hardly believe there's still two more Acts to go

how did we ever manage to do this all those years past? it was even harder back then when all the gear was garbage and the monsters weren't as piss-easy as Normal or Hard today

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love Diablo 3 and have played it for thousands of hours but TBH I’ve had maybe 3 characters I’ve played in the last 10 years that I enjoyed as much as my Epically geared Werewolf or Necromancer or Paladin from D2, and I’m so excited for Diablo IV to get me excited about Diablo again.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
One thing I hope they do with D4 is add new skills to classes over the years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing D3 a lot this week, and on the Switch I've leveled a new Demon Hunter to 70, got him geared up, and reached the point where I can push Torment 8. I leveled up a Gem of Ease to rank 25, gave it to a baby Wizard, punched a hole in a crafted Cinderswitch, and have been doing BWEEEEEEEEEEEEE as she melts everything with Disintegrate to the tune of a new level every screen-full of monsters

I love this loving game

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a non-braindead way to farm the Puzzle Ring or portals to Greed? I have to clear that on Torment 13+ and foolishly used the only ring I've found so far on T7-ish. I know the ring table is huge but I've gotten everything else twice tonight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Besides powerleveling people to 70 where it's more likely to drop on their table and then doing vaults on T13+ right after, no it's totally random.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Jump in a T16 normal rifts game and usually someone will open a vault within a few runs

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a non-braindead way to farm the Puzzle Ring or portals to Greed? I have to clear that on Torment 13+ and foolishly used the only ring I've found so far on T7-ish. I know the ring table is huge but I've gotten everything else twice tonight.
get an alt to level 31 then get them to buy rings from kadala with blood shards farmed on main? her ring table is much smaller there so you might get it much quicker.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Shumagorath posted:

On what platform? They're a pretty common drop. Goblins will also randomly open portals to the vault if you want to go hunt them in adventure mode. GR90 has the max amount of loot that can drop so running those as fast as you can is the best way to get anything to drop.

If you're on PC there's a community you can join where people will run puzzle rings.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

tetsuo posted:

get an alt to level 31 then get them to buy rings from kadala with blood shards farmed on main? her ring table is much smaller there so you might get it much quicker.

I believe a witch doctor has the best chances for doing this, or at least did in the ethereal season where I farmed them all like a dork.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Joke Miriam posted:

To bring microtransactions to the only place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Shumagorath posted:

Level a witch doctor to 31. Buy rings at Kadela. There's only 3 legendary rings you can get at that point. Move the puzzle ring to your stash, switch to your main character and do the thing.

Alternately, if you're on switch I have a goblin amiibo and can open you a vault anytime you want.

If you have to do it yourself I can join your game, open it, and leave before you enter.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
If you're on pc I've always got a couple stashed that I never run before burning out on the season :v: