Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A majority of MSPs at Holyrood & Scottish MPs at Westminster support independence. How long we meant to wait until Suffolk sorts itself out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1541778555088011264?l

Jesus Christ.

"And the facts are that I probably disagree with most members who've spoken so far about this question. They think that women have an absolute right of bodily autonomy in this matter whereas I think in the case of abortion rhat right is qualified by the fact that another body is involved." - Tory MP Danny Kruger.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Frontbench MPs who joined pickets have been *sent a letter reminding them of expectations of future conduct*

That'll show them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

oh no, not the sternly worded letter

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Is Starmers only talent the ability to choose the exact actions that make him look weak and please no-one.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And then they launched BNW with pretty much no publicity (on their streaming service only I think), just so the network shitlords can say 'see, they didn't like it, back to grimdark bullshit I guess.'

All the new Star Trek shows have only been on their streaming service (in America, and now here that it's launched), and BNW has been extremely well-received.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

sinky posted:

Is Starmers only talent the ability to choose the exact actions that make him look weak and please no-one.

He can also do a passable par boiled egg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Jesus Christ.

"And the facts are that I probably disagree with most members who've spoken so far about this question. They think that women have an absolute right of bodily autonomy in this matter whereas I think in the case of abortion rhat right is qualified by the fact that another body is involved." - Tory MP Danny Kruger.
He is unfortunately describing the law as it currently exists though, even if just because he a dick. That wasn't always the case, prior to the 1861 Offences Against the Person act the law didn't really give a poo poo, then it was explicitly coded as that, then the Abortion Act 1967 partially decriminalized it in certain specific circumstances, replacing a right with a licence as it were, and it was only earlier this year that that was extended to include telemedicine.

There's members of the US theocratic right wing (the same ones who are funding most of the anti-trans poo poo and putting terrible ideas in the heads of grieving parents) who are going to try to come after legal abortion here. We should strike out the bloody code in its entirely before they get half a chance.

(Also as an aside 90% of the weirdo ethics poo poo regarding embryos in petri dishes should be struck down too, and anyone who things a ball of cells the size of a comma is a human should be medically redefined as a gerbil or something for ethics purposes.)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jiggerypokery posted:

He can also do a passable par boiled egg

Heston Blumenthal method is 10/10.

Guy's a prick but he knows how to make egg and soldiers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Comrade Fakename posted:

All the new Star Trek shows have only been on their streaming service (in America, and now here that it's launched), and BNW has been extremely well-received.

I can vouch that Brange New Worlds is good, yeah

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

A majority of MSPs at Holyrood & Scottish MPs at Westminster support independence. How long we meant to wait until Suffolk sorts itself out?

I do think we're nearing the "poo poo or get off the pot" moment in Scottish Politics though. If the referendum goes through it will likely be rejected as illegitimate or merely consultative by Westminster, and there's going to be a real need for the SNP to be seen to be doing something about it. The same is true if the next election is fought on that basis, perhaps especially so, since that presents a clear parallel between the next election and the one in 1918.

If the SNP win that election in Scotland and still Wesminster refuse to budge, do the SNP go abstentionist? They've always been opposed to that in the past, but if they just continue on the same as before I think the SNP rank-and-file are going to really start losing their poo poo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Barry Foster posted:

I can vouch that Brange New Worlds is good, yeah

When does it start getting good? What I've seen has been pretty mediocre, I wasn't going to continue.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gort posted:

When does it start getting good? What I've seen has been pretty mediocre, I wasn't going to continue.

I mostly just wanted to make a lovely joke about the fact people seem to be consistently typing BNW ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I started to properly enjoy it at episode three.

I don't find it nearly as fantastic as a lot of other goons, but it's decently solid trek, and the characters have grown on me a lot.

Lower Decks is the only nutrek I'd call genuinely really good (after the first three episodes)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bayerische Nematoden Werke.

They made the wormhole drives.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gort posted:

You can stop watching the show you don't like.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

forkboy84 posted:

genuinely this is why sinn fein pivoted to campaigning in the Dáil and in Ireland generally; it's not completely mad to say the only concrete route to indy is now to build a consensus south of the border as well

maybe that's a pact with lab/libs maybe it's a direct campaign in england, wales and NI

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

Watch episode 5 and if you don't like it, well, I wouldn't bother with any more of it

E: episode 5 is their "wacky hijinks" episode and they manage, imo, to not step on a single rake

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Rustybear posted:

maybe that's a pact with lab/libs maybe it's a direct campaign in england, wales and NI

The SNP I'm entirely sure would be more than happy to have a formal agreement with Lib/Lab at a UK level, but that will never happen as those parties could never go to the voters in England and say elect us we're going to let a 1/3 of the UK landmass declare independence.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 28, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

sinky posted:

You can stop watching the show you don't like.

I mean, I have. I just wondered if I had judged the show too hastily and if it was worth revisiting.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Watch episode 5 and if you don't like it, well, I wouldn't bother with any more of it

E: episode 5 is their "wacky hijinks" episode and they manage, imo, to not step on a single rake

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rustybear posted:

genuinely this is why sinn fein pivoted to campaigning in the Dáil and in Ireland generally; it's not completely mad to say the only concrete route to indy is now to build a consensus south of the border as well

One, obviously the situation of Ireland where the goal is reunification and Scotland where it's merely independence. The SNP have no natural base in England, Wales & NI. Two, I think it's hard to understand how unhinged that Scottish Labour get towards the SNP. There is one sole example to my knowledge of a SNP/Lab council in the country, Dumfries where it's the Toriest of Tory areas. There have been several Lab Tory pacts, official coalitions & also unofficial support. Two Labour councillors in Edinburgh have been suspended just for abstaining on giving the Tories positions in the council to keep the SNP out. Fanatics

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dabir posted:

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1541778555088011264?l

Jesus Christ.

I was shocked, SHOCKED to see on this MPs Wikipedia page that he is an evangelical Christian. What are the odds?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tory MP Dunning Kruger

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/JPN_PMO/status/1541816410548031488?t=z8zWYJ8AsSd1InU6Q5Lh8w&s=19

Good news everybody!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
has there been any recent polling on scottish indy?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not stepping on rakes for a wacky hijinks episode sounds like they're missing the point a bit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He should apologize for all the people they sent on an unnecessary death march away from there, killing an order of magnitude more than just remaining in place would.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I mostly just wanted to make a lovely joke about the fact people seem to be consistently typing BNW ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I started to properly enjoy it at episode three.

I don't find it nearly as fantastic as a lot of other goons, but it's decently solid trek, and the characters have grown on me a lot.

Lower Decks is the only nutrek I'd call genuinely really good (after the first three episodes)

This is why everyone loves it so much. Putting aside quality, it's actual Trek - episodic stories of professional people on a spaceship, getting into adventures and morality tales. Even the bad episode is bad in the way a half-baked TNG episode would be, rather than making GBS threads all over Trek like Picard does, or justifying war-crimes like Disco.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

bump_fn posted:

has there been any recent polling on scottish indy?

There's a complete list of polls on wikipedia :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence.

I'd take any poll findings with a grain of salt at the moment, however. Independence hasn't really been on the forefront of people's minds given Brexit and COVID, which has led to the consensus being quite swingy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Frontbench MPs who joined pickets have been *sent a letter reminding them of expectations of future conduct*

That'll show them.

"Remember, you're in the Melt oval office Party, kindly act like it in future"

:thumbsup:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The thing with this whole thing, Fukushima isn’t a tiny town, it’s a large area, and plenty of foods are grown and sold within Japan to their high standards.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Atoms are part of a balanced diet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also they destroyed like half a million tons of topsoil that were no more dangerous than average Cornish soil, which you could call 'really dumb' or 'Alex Jones showering off the gay frog chemicals levels of paranoid' but you can't really say there's a hazard from food grown in all the new soil put down.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

If you opt out of a thought on ideology on disco elysium is it possible to get them to come back later? I did way too much fence sitting.

I'm asking here because I'm terrified to Google anything in case of spoilers and I know a bunch of you have played it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Honestly I'd watch a Brave New World / Strange New Worlds mashup. People getting absolutely annihilated on casual sex and drug use crashing about the galaxy and the focus of the show is from the perspective of all the alien races going 'oh gently caress, the humans are here.'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

If you opt out of a thought on ideology on disco elysium is it possible to get them to come back later? I did way too much fence sitting.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Accurate.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm asking here because I'm terrified to Google anything in case of spoilers and I know a bunch of you have played it

I don't think so but there is one item of clothing per ideology which willtrigger the thought even if you haven't hit the point threshold. Not sure if it will give you a second bite at one you've already opted out of though.

Although the quote that comes to mind is along the lines of "say one of these communist or fascist things or gently caress off"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am having a little chuckle at the idea of playing the communism game as a member of CUKTIG

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I don't think so but there is one item of clothing per ideology which willtrigger the thought even if you haven't hit the point threshold. Not sure if it will give you a second bite at one you've already opted out of though.

Although the quote that comes to mind is along the lines of "say one of these communist or fascist things or gently caress off"

I was wearing my ultra liberal trousers to bed and woke to be asked about my lust for capital over and over again so I figured there must be some way out of this hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I am having a little chuckle at the idea of playing the communism game as a member of CUKTIG

I Am Very Smart