Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Dropped and shattered my chemex all over the kitchen yesterday. Rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is a normal and natural part of the chemex's lifecycle. You just order another and continue as before.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

withak posted:

That is a normal and natural part of the chemex's lifecycle. You just order another, larger chemex and continue as before at increased capacity

:yeah:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Google Butt posted:

Has anyone been roasting with a kaffelogic?

Well I will be if/when they ship. They went up almost 10 minutes early, so good thing I set my alarm early, not that they seem to be moving terribly quickly

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Well I will be if/when they ship. They went up almost 10 minutes early, so good thing I set my alarm early, not that they seem to be moving terribly quickly

Same here, those fuckers! I snagged a 40% discount one for 1,110.00 NZD, it says I'm #10/100. I did gpay and they were gone instantly at that perk level, but yeah the 35% ones seem to be chilling.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 28, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Same here, those fuckers! I snagged a 40% discount one for 1,110.00 NZD, it says I'm #10/100. I did gpay and they were gone instantly at that perk level, but yeah the 35% ones seem to be chilling.

yeah was busy with work and couldn't get the good-good deal but the 35% is still very reasonable, gave them my money

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 28, 2022

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just showing off the shelf I built from scratch for my coffee stuff. It's my first time making anything like it, and I'm sure it shows, but I thought this thread might be interested since it is coffee-adjacent.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I'm pretty sure the 40% was still up the full 10 minutes between when they actually opened and when they said they opened. I was supposedly #20, and when I checked like 5 minutes later it was only at 40/100. I suppose it could have been one of those eventual consistency or caching things, but it probably wasn't too hard to get in on the slightly better rate if you were prepared.

Got the boost because why not. A shame wireless will be a later addon and that it's still on micro usb. A lot of the media about the boost kit said it'd include bluetooth, though maybe that's only for monitoring and not modifying profile / control.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

gwrtheyrn posted:

I'm pretty sure the 40% was still up the full 10 minutes between when they actually opened and when they said they opened. I was supposedly #20, and when I checked like 5 minutes later it was only at 40/100. I suppose it could have been one of those eventual consistency or caching things, but it probably wasn't too hard to get in on the slightly better rate if you were prepared.

Got the boost because why not. A shame wireless will be a later addon and that it's still on micro usb. A lot of the media about the boost kit said it'd include bluetooth, though maybe that's only for monitoring and not modifying profile / control.

I completely missed the boost kit option because I was half awake and rushing :( I'm hoping I can somehow add it. How much was it?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I completely missed the boost kit option because I was half awake and rushing :( I'm hoping I can somehow add it. How much was it?

220NZD discounted to 120 NZD (~75 USD)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

boost kit was like $75, you can probably email them about adding it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Qylvaran posted:

Just showing off the shelf I built from scratch for my coffee stuff. It's my first time making anything like it, and I'm sure it shows, but I thought this thread might be interested since it is coffee-adjacent.

Who the hell has a stash of macarons ready to go like that? I would have eaten them all in a day.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

looked at their discussion page and there are a couple encouraging posts by the creator about upgrading the controls and allowing real-time monitoring

quote:

This release version will include our new ‘CONNECT’ system. In summary this does several things and includes:

eliminates the current usb memory stick storage, this is now incorporated onboard the unit with the new PCB we have developed.
*so user no longer need to have the memory stick plugged in to select different profiles, storage of logs etc.
*the machine will now come with a USB-micro connect cable for direct connection to laptop/ pc. this will allow new profiles developed on Studio to be uploaded to the unit, and or logs stored on the unit to be transferred to laptop/pc.
*the new PCB will allow us to introduce new features as part of our ongoing product development. The first of these will be live roast monitoring (initially via the CONNECT cable) This will be by the end of 2022, or very early 2023.
*A wireless module will be added early 2023 and available as an upgrade via a plugin unit (cost will be minimal)
*Future developments include roast management tools such as cloud based storage and sharing, remote device functionality such as logging colour change, cracks etc.
We would love to have all these features ready now but the reality is time and resources dictate otherwise. I would however stress that everything we do is with existing owners in mind, we want Kaffelogic to be easily and affordably upgraded as the unit evolves, rather than just introducing new models every year. Of course there may be a time when we exhaust the capabilities of the current Nano 7 model at which time the world may see a Nano 8 appear!!

quote:

And we do get what you mean about the cloud, you will never be forced that way, rather it will be choice. And we are not going down the rabbit hole that leads to paid functionality unless for a specific reason. Our system is open for a reason, we want our users to explore and expand Studios’ capabilities beyond what we even think it has. So, no monthly subscriptions or dinky apps from us!! And with regards to real time roast monitoring, I stake my involvement, my stake-holding, my role in this business, that this is happening! Hopefully by Xmas or very soon after. (development is very well advanced)

not having to ferry a thumb drive back and forth to your laptop is a nice qol improvement and roast monitoring should actually make their system competitive with Artisan

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Who the hell has a stash of macarons ready to go like that? I would have eaten them all in a day.

Psychopaths, that’s who.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
apologies if this will get me thrown out of the coffee thread but does anybody in the thread have any experience with getting a jura machine serviced? i was given one as a gift and it's great when it works but first the milk frother poo poo the bed and then i left it with my mother in law and she killed it. now it makes lots of noise but no coffee comes out, and lots of water comes out of the bottom somewhere.

it's one of those things where it cost too much for me to want to get a screwdriver and just start digging in, but also good god i don't want to imagine the cost of a service call. do any of you guys have any idea what i'm in for?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Unless you happen to have a local shop that will look at it, you'll need to ship it to one of these places (or Jura themselves):

https://jurarepairservices.com/
https://www.jura-parts.com

Most shops, including mine, don't touch them. For a variety of reasons.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Kaffelogic just sent a new blast and I totally missed that this is pre-ordering a "new" version that includes the chaff collector.

quote:

Pricing: We had a mesage this morning in the Discussion section page, expressing some concern about the retail pricing expressed compared with other pricing of Kaffelogic around the World. I have answered this, but will also address this here.

You are backing the new version of Kaffelogic. This has the new chaff collector (with double layer glass for great view of the roast, easy empty and clean, reduced dust escape), several internal changes included CONNECT system with onboard memory which replaces the current memory stick system, software development which now includes fahrenheit/ celcius choices etc.
We have have been hit with many, many increased costs which we have included in new version costings.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Did the previous version not come with one? They for sure had one available since you can see a different looking one on the alternativebrewing video that's on the campaign as well as any current product listings.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Did the previous version not come with one? They for sure had one available since you can see a different looking one on the alternativebrewing video that's on the campaign as well as any current product listings.

Oh yeah it did - I guess this one is just an improved collector. Looking forward to the boost option, hoping this thing is pretty consistent since the next step up in the same vein is an ikawa pro for way, way more money

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

has anyone seen this VacOne thing? https://vaccoffee.com/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I love making cold brew but the shear amount of coffee required puts me off a bit unless I can find some super cheap beans. I wonder how that would compare.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

George H.W. oval office posted:

I love making cold brew but the shear amount of coffee required puts me off a bit unless I can find some super cheap beans. I wonder how that would compare.

It's one of the few good uses for cheap and/or old beans IMO.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Wanted to :justpost: about picking up a Fellow Ode with SSP burrs installed from the factory. I switched over from a Comandante C40 Mk3 that I was using over the past 2.5 years and I'm liking the Ode immensely, if anything, just for not having to hand grind the beans every time I want to make a cup of coffee.

I'd be curious to eventually do an A/B test between the two grinders but after partially seasoning the Ode with about 1.5lbs of coffee, I feel like I'm enjoying the results more from my V60 brews on the Ode compared to the Comandante.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mes posted:

Wanted to :justpost: about picking up a Fellow Ode with SSP burrs installed from the factory. I switched over from a Comandante C40 Mk3 that I was using over the past 2.5 years and I'm liking the Ode immensely, if anything, just for not having to hand grind the beans every time I want to make a cup of coffee.

I'd be curious to eventually do an A/B test between the two grinders but after partially seasoning the Ode with about 1.5lbs of coffee, I feel like I'm enjoying the results more from my V60 brews on the Ode compared to the Comandante.

I've been using the SSP Ode for about a year now, and it makes for a really fantastic filter grinder. I installed the SSP burrs myself, but would really recommend it to anyone with an Ode.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Recently got my first espresso machine (Silvia) and was making ok but not great espresso all week. Today I made the tiniest adjustment to the grinder and finally "dialed in" and suddenly the espresso is amazing. Surprised what a difference such a small setting can make. Now I have to try to resist drinking five more cups.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I am in a similar boat

I got my gaggia repaired and have been enjoying making decent espresso drinks in the morning for beloved and I

After I got it dialed in for a lungo (to split) I was a getting tasty enough volume of coffee , while happy with the coffee I checked my ins and out and I was at a 1:5 ratio and I would like to be at a 1:3.5

and now I'm slowly "chasing" the extraction up by updosing and coarsening the grind every morning so I don't choke the shot but increase extraction

It's a fun little hobby that nets me tasty morning bean juice

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm getting annoyed at how inconsistent my espresso is, despite trying to keep things as consistent as possible. I used the exact same amount of beans and the exact same grind setting. I'm using a spring-loaded tamper so the tamping pressure should be pretty consistent, and I've got a WDT device (with looped wire ends instead of needle tips). I dialed in a perfect shot on my semi-automatic Bambino Plus, then pulled another one using that programmed time, but I noticed the flow was much more constricted. I ended up with 26g instead of 34g, and it tasted extremely sour.

Why would the flow have changed so dramatically from one shot to the next in the span of about five minutes? If I had just manually pulled the second shot and aimed for the same weight (i.e., running it longer to compensate for the flow), would I have had a more consistent taste?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

404notfound posted:

I'm getting annoyed at how inconsistent my espresso is, despite trying to keep things as consistent as possible. I used the exact same amount of beans and the exact same grind setting. I'm using a spring-loaded tamper so the tamping pressure should be pretty consistent, and I've got a WDT device (with looped wire ends instead of needle tips). I dialed in a perfect shot on my semi-automatic Bambino Plus, then pulled another one using that programmed time, but I noticed the flow was much more constricted. I ended up with 26g instead of 34g, and it tasted extremely sour.

Why would the flow have changed so dramatically from one shot to the next in the span of about five minutes? If I had just manually pulled the second shot and aimed for the same weight (i.e., running it longer to compensate for the flow), would I have had a more consistent taste?

Did your first shot maybe channel a bunch, and that’s why the second choked out? That would explain your difference in flow rate, despite using the program.

I have a Breville infuser, and after having a problem with getting tons of channeling, especially with lighter roasts. After googling the problem pretty intensely, I found out that most of that channeling came from the pressure being too high (15 bar typically vs ideally like 9). It seems to be a problem with most Breville machines.

I’m lucky, and my machine is one of the ones that you can run preinfusion pressure for the whole shot. It seems your machine does not. This solved my channeling problem instantly. I can’t use the program feature anymore, but I value the consistency and no channeling of the lower pressure shot.

https://espressoaf.com/manufacturers/breville/preinfusion.html

If your machine doesn’t have this, doing an OPV mod is a popular option.

Also, What grinder do you have? The grinder may not be consistent enough. I went from an encore to a Eureka Manuale/Notte and it’s made a huge difference with the consistency. But this is a much more pricy solve.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did your first shot maybe channel a bunch, and that’s why the second choked out? That would explain your difference in flow rate, despite using the program.

I have a Breville infuser, and after having a problem with getting tons of channeling, especially with lighter roasts. After googling the problem pretty intensely, I found out that most of that channeling came from the pressure being too high (15 bar typically vs ideally like 9). It seems to be a problem with most Breville machines.

I’m lucky, and my machine is one of the ones that you can run preinfusion pressure for the whole shot. It seems your machine does not. This solved my channeling problem instantly. I can’t use the program feature anymore, but I value the consistency and no channeling of the lower pressure shot.

https://espressoaf.com/manufacturers/breville/preinfusion.html

If your machine doesn’t have this, doing an OPV mod is a popular option.

Also, What grinder do you have? The grinder may not be consistent enough. I went from an encore to a Eureka Manuale/Notte and it’s made a huge difference with the consistency. But this is a much more pricy solve.

I'm using a Kinu M47 hand grinder, which AFAIK should be pretty consistent; I don't really have the counter space to spare for a full size electric grinder.

Is there a way to visually inspect the puck afterward to check for channeling?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

404notfound posted:

I'm using a Kinu M47 hand grinder, which AFAIK should be pretty consistent; I don't really have the counter space to spare for a full size electric grinder.

Is there a way to visually inspect the puck afterward to check for channeling?

https://www.mycuppa.com.au/how-i-solved-my-irritating-coffee-channelling-problem

https://youtu.be/aMLViitLPFY

Reading again, I highly suspect your first short channeled. Channeling can also be caused by grinding too finely.

Loosen your grind a bit and see.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I've had a dilemma with my French press over the years, which has resulted in me often switching to (gasp).... canned coffee.

In short, I am following the standard French press instructions to brew freshly ground up coffee beans for four minutes. The problem is.... no matter what coffee I try - I have tried perhaps twenty varieties throughout the years - my coffee gives me a nice pick-me-up for an hour or less, then I just plummet. Whereas with canned coffee or other caffeine sources, my energy tends to last much much longer.

I have never been able to figure out what the deal is. This is partly my fault because I kept repeating the same thing. I always thought it was the coffee until I finally said enough is enough. Perhaps I am the overcaffeinated type and I just need to brew the drat coffee longer? Maybe I should try an additional minute or two? Perhaps I am not grinding up the coffee enough - is it the more ground up, the stronger, or the opposite?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Caffeine's quite quickly water-soluble and your cup will be fully caffeinated before it's "strong" enough to drink, canned poo poo probably just has higher caffeine via more robusta and/or more total quantity. Can probably solve this problem by just drinking more coffee.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

*most problems

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

eke out posted:

Caffeine's quite quickly water-soluble and your cup will be fully caffeinated before it's "strong" enough to drink, canned poo poo probably just has higher caffeine via more robusta and/or more total quantity. Can probably solve this problem by just drinking more coffee.

Alota canned coffee also has extra “energy” poo poo shoved in there too.

If you usually use darker roasts, a lighter roast tends to have more caffeine.

If you’re drinking it cold, cold brew also tends to be more caffeine heavy.

But also just drink more coffee.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you usually use darker roasts, a lighter roast tends to have more caffeine.

I thought this is for the most part not true

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I thought this is for the most part not true

Welp, you’re right.

It only matters if you don’t measure by weight because light roasts are heavier.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Drink your normal cup and also pop a caffeine pill

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it could be some taurine/guarana type additives used in other energy drinks

or maybe just a shitload of caffeine

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

eke out posted:

So I brew a 15 in / 35g out on my flair, then push through the remaining ~25g into a separate cup. I drink that around lunch as a small boost, is there any caffeine at all in that "second running"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

eke out posted:

yeah it could be some taurine/guarana type additives used in other energy drinks

or maybe just a shitload of caffeine

Most of these energy drinks have fairly low caffeine compared to a single cup of black coffee. Which is why I switched to just black coffee many years ago. Also, having your piss be neon yellow after drinking tons of B12 or whatever can not be good for you.