Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ryde posted:

The fact that "$5 gas" seems to be an effective talking point is a damning inditement against America in general and a primary factor why I feel things will not get better.

$5 gas affects people negatively. It's harder to feed your family, pay your bills, etc.

Trump committing crimes on the other hand doesn't matter because both parties have decided that laws don't apply to certain people. So why would the public care about something that has no impact on their life and will never lead to any conseqeuences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
It's probably proof that I've been reading politics poo poo on these forums too long, that I can't help but think "so if Trump does somehow go to jail, could that actually depress Dem voter turnout, because of people thinking The Beast is defeated?". Don't take that as an argument against putting his rear end in jail, though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

cochise posted:

I'm still flabbergasted that the orange turd tried to strangle a secret service member in order to take control of the Beast just so he could drive to the Capitol and lead the shitshow. :psyduck:

I know it’s nothing in the whole scheme of things but I keep coming back to the choking. You know motherfucker has the grip strength of an injured fawn, what the hell was step 2 of grabbing his neck?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
We were so close to having Trump Hitler himself by strangling his driver during a coup he incited.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I really do want to quickly dip into the alternate reality where Donald Trump personally lead a mob attack on the capitol building. I can't loving imagine how insane that would have been.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

TipTow posted:

Thank u poster

No problem. I added a bit more to it. Like Michael Flynn pleading the fifth when he was asked if he believed in the idea of a peaceful transfer of power.

Not sure if it'd help but can we get that summary in the OP or something? Because two hours is a long time to watch a hearing, even if it was a roller coaster once things got started.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 28, 2022

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

None of this will matter. When the accusation is this guy tried to lead a mob to murder Congress and install himself as a dictator the only just solution is that guy swings from a rope. The fact that the only thing happening is toothless hearings tells you the seriousness of the resistance. poo poo hitler at least did 6 months.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

I know it’s nothing in the whole scheme of things but I keep coming back to the choking. You know motherfucker has the grip strength of an injured fawn, what the hell was step 2 of grabbing his neck?

Trump was and remains terrified of losing power, because he believes he could end up in jail. Jan 6th was his last real chance of staying in office. Originally I thought he was too much of a coward to actually resort to violence and that's why he wasn't there when he said he'd march with them. I thought he was fine conning others to do his dirty work as he's done all his life. But now we know he himself was willing to be there with the mob, that he was so afraid of losing office that he was willing to physically fight for it. Fortunately his body and will are so weak that they shattered when meeting the first hint of real resistance.

There was no plan, he literally was flailing about in any way that came to mind.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Orthanc6 posted:

Trump was and remains terrified of losing power, because he believes he could end up in jail. Jan 6th was his last real chance of staying in office. Originally I thought he was too much of a coward to actually resort to violence and that's why he wasn't there when he said he'd march with them. I thought he was fine conning others to do his dirty work as he's done all his life. But now we know he himself was willing to be there with the mob, that he was so afraid of losing office that he was willing to physically fight for it. Fortunately his body and will are so weak that they shattered when meeting the first hint of real resistance.

There was no plan, he literally was flailing about in any way that came to mind.

lol he would not have engaged in physicality in any way.

He would have been directing his troops and making Custer look competent.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

fishing with the fam posted:

I really do want to quickly dip into the alternate reality where Donald Trump personally lead a mob attack on the capitol building. I can't loving imagine how insane that would have been.

I had always thought that him returning to the White House was a combination of personal cowardice and his secret service going "lol no". I had not realized that he genuinely wanted to march in front of them into the House chamber, but in hindsight of course he would. Absurdly dangerous, putting his neck on the line in every possible way, but it would have been the greatest high his ego has ever had to lead an army of loyal, loving followers, on camera, into the capitol to take back what was his and force every single person in that building, the disloyal, many of whom had mocked him or dared at any point to suggest he shouldn't be president, or that he was ever wrong, who had impeached him, "stolen" from him, to cower before him and be completely at his mercy. Abso-loving-lutely irresistible to someone with god-like levels of narcissism. Can you imagine what would have happened if Trump was in the chamber with every member of Congress, his VP, and the zip-tie dude? Because Trump sure as hell did.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I mean there's corroborated testimony just right now that he tried to choke one of his staff, I think that counts.

As it happens, the last time he had to choke someone out was probably either when he was raping one of his wives or a sex-trafficked Russian child (first one from court testimony, second one informed speculation), so he was unsuccessful

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

He did physically assault his own Secret Service agent, if he had been allowed instead to go with the mob I don't think he would have done anything himself except walk and stand around shouting who knows what. But that also would have been one hell of a mess, having him anywhere near that crowd with a ring of Secret Service around him, and then cops fighting that same crowd nearby.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Danger posted:

Americans being too poor to afford an essential commodity seems important?

I'm more referring to the fact that a wide swath of Americans would think that voting Trump back in would somehow reverse a whole host of macroeconomic issues causing the gas prices to rise. Or that they don't realize that cheap gas is untenable long term and that we need to figure out how to transition to a world where the lack of cheap gas doesn't gently caress over so many people. Or they think Trump is the sort of person who could handle that.

I'm sorry but "gas is $5 and things were better under Trump" is not a take that inspires confidence in the average American voter's ability to understand the issues.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Odds are we'd have gotten pictures of him with that smug poo poo eating grin he had on the campaign trail when he played to his supporter's bigotry as he egged the mob on into the guns of the few police officers that were holding the interior of the buildings.

Worst case scenario being that his presence might have tipped things over to where the people trying to press past that one barricade where an officer had to open fire to keep them back managed to overcome their collective fear of getting shot (like that one woman did) and succeeded in storming the chamber where a bunch of sitting politicians were trapped.

Of course him being there would immediately escalate things straight to "this is a violent take over" to the point where it'd be much harder to argue that it was just the desires of chuds or that it was an antifa op like it turned out that the Trump staff workshopped as it was happening. So who knows where we'd go from there.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 28, 2022

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

cochise posted:

I'm still flabbergasted that the orange turd tried to strangle a secret service member in order to take control of the Beast just so he could drive to the Capitol and lead the shitshowcrash into a bollard 100 yards down the road because he hasn't driven in 50 years, if he ever has. :psyduck:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ryde posted:

I'm sorry but "gas is $5 and things were better under Trump" is not a take that inspires confidence in the average American voter's ability to understand the issues.

The average American doesn't care about the issues beyond the price of gas and how well the economy is doing. The average Americans line of thinking is "Hurr durr economy better 3 years ago. Gas prices lower 3 years ago. Me vote for guy that was in charge back then". And that's it. That's why Republicans are a million times better at messaging than Dems because they are completely aware of how braindead the average American is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joxz7qTpSfw

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Archonex posted:

Odds are we'd have gotten pictures of him with that smug poo poo eating grin he had on the campaign trail when he played to his supporter's bigotry as he egged the mob on into the guns of the few police officers that were holding the interior of the buildings.

Worst case scenario being that his presence might have tipped things over to where the people trying to press past that one barricade where an officer had to open fire to keep them back managed to overcome their collective fear of getting shot (like that one woman did) and succeeded in storming the chamber where a bunch of sitting politicians were trapped probably wounding or killing at least one person needed to run their scheme in the process.

Of course him being there would immediately escalate things straight to "this is a violent take over" to the point where it'd be much harder to argue that it was just the desires of chuds or that it was an antifa op like it turned out that the Trump staff workshopped as it was happening. So who knows where we'd go from there.

iirc, there were congressional staffers evacuating about ten feet behind the barrier, it's why the crowd suddenly tried to out and out storm it when they thought they had an opening. Babbit got shot because she was trying to get at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJVMoe7OY0&t=1627s

27 minutes in if the timestamp doesn't work, but this video was and remains incredibly good as a blow by blow of what happened and when. gently caress Ashli Babbit and all the people pretending she was just some innocent hanging around who caught a bullet.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

I'm an idiot! Of course he would have wrecked before ever getting close. I'd imagine driving the Beast (the car, not Cheeto Bandito) isn't like driving a normal car and inevitably someone like Trump would end up crashing it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Archonex the only thing I'd take issue with in your summary is that chuds were making improvised weapons with flagpoles that were there in situ.

Usually what the Proud Boys do is bring clubs/telescopic batons/whatever and attach flags for plausible deniability that they're not just gonna use them to beat the poo poo out of anyone darker than a manila envelope at the first opportunity. I forget what they call them - "party sticks" or something?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If I was testifying before this committee I'd make a promotional deal with Pepsi beforehand and then spend half my speaking time taking big sips and saying "mmmm so refreshing".

If you have to go into hiding for the rest of your life you might as well get paid as you go

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kartikeya posted:

iirc, there were congressional staffers evacuating about ten feet behind the barrier, it's why the crowd suddenly tried to out and out storm it when they thought they had an opening. Babbit got shot because she was trying to get at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJVMoe7OY0&t=1627s

27 minutes in if the timestamp doesn't work, but this video was and remains incredibly good as a blow by blow of what happened and when. gently caress Ashli Babbit and all the people pretending she was just some innocent hanging around who caught a bullet.

If the GOP takes Congress you can bet they will do hearings about Ashli Babbit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kartikeya posted:

I had always thought that him returning to the White House was a combination of personal cowardice and his secret service going "lol no". I had not realized that he genuinely wanted to march in front of them into the House chamber, but in hindsight of course he would. Absurdly dangerous, putting his neck on the line in every possible way, but it would have been the greatest high his ego has ever had to lead an army of loyal, loving followers, on camera, into the capitol to take back what was his and force every single person in that building, the disloyal, many of whom had mocked him or dared at any point to suggest he shouldn't be president, or that he was ever wrong, who had impeached him, "stolen" from him, to cower before him and be completely at his mercy. Abso-loving-lutely irresistible to someone with god-like levels of narcissism. Can you imagine what would have happened if Trump was in the chamber with every member of Congress, his VP, and the zip-tie dude? Because Trump sure as hell did.

he wanted his 80s movie ending where he and all his weird friends/crazy characters save the day from the mean rival/dean/throne stealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2VaalmijM

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Yep.

I think it's notable that, how the footage plays out, the mob pulls back a little when they see the gun. There's a lot of warning about a gun being drawn. Babbitt then tries to climb through anyway. I guarantee, 100%, that if she'd reached the other side without resistance the entire mob would have realized the cop had hesitated and surged after her, at which point it probably wouldn't have mattered if shots were fired. Mobs are terrifying organisms that run on rage and group pressure; once they're sparked, they'll go and go until they meet enough physical force to literally stop them, they completely run out of momentum because the target(s) of their ire can't be reached/found, or they reach their target and then burn themselves out with violence. They were somewhat slowed by the barricade, the presence of the lawmakers sparked their energy again, the gun made them hesitate, and then one of them charged anyway. It's like a people avalanche.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Archonex the only thing I'd take issue with in your summary is that chuds were making improvised weapons with flagpoles that were there in situ.

Usually what the Proud Boys do is bring clubs/telescopic batons/whatever and attach flags for plausible deniability that they're not just gonna use them to beat the poo poo out of anyone darker than a manila envelope at the first opportunity. I forget what they call them - "party sticks" or something?

You must live in a land of some pale rear end office supplies if you think they’d tolerate up to a manila envelope.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

they will do that and hunter and etc. but none of it will have any weight because it will be shittly done and only for the chud expanded universe freaks. hosed up thing is it will probably just make biden popular somewhat like it did for trump.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
While I think the hearing was great, I don't think its going to move the needle all that much. True believers are gonna remain true believers. People who hated Trump are just going to hate him much more. People who don't give a poo poo are gonna continue watching reality TV.

But I think this is what the DoJ was waiting for so they could finally indite that turdburgler. If they don't indite him then we are truly lost as a country.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Cimber posted:

But I think this is what the DoJ was waiting for so they could finally indite that turdburgler. If they don't indite him then we are truly lost as a country.

One thing that doesn't make any sense to me is why would the DOJ need to wait for the committee to bring this information forward? Aren't they supposed to be the expert fact finding gumshoes?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Xiahou Dun posted:

You must live in a land of some pale rear end office supplies if you think they’d tolerate up to a manila envelope.

Nah they usually have at least one visible minority to point at when people accuses them of being white supremacists.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cimber posted:

While I think the hearing was great, I don't think its going to move the needle all that much. True believers are gonna remain true believers. People who hated Trump are just going to hate him much more. People who don't give a poo poo are gonna continue watching reality TV.

they will indite, they kinda have to after all of this,

what i am curious about is would it have been worse or better if trump had led them down the hall toward pence and co with ashlie and poo poo for some magic fake coup. like what happens then espcially if the chuds attack pence.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

On Terra Firma posted:

One thing that doesn't make any sense to me is why would the DOJ need to wait for the committee to bring this information forward? Aren't they supposed to be the expert fact finding gumshoes?

Political cover.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they will indite, they kinda have to after all of this,

what i am curious about is would it have been worse or better if trump had led them down the hall toward pence and co with ashlie and poo poo for some magic fake coup. like what happens then espcially if the chuds attack pence.

Then the army gets involved and poo poo really hits the fan.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

On Terra Firma posted:

I feel like they were afraid people would think this was "Just politics" if they indicted anyone above the Q Shaman without these hearings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he wanted his 80s movie ending where he and all his weird friends/crazy characters save the day from the mean rival/dean/throne stealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2VaalmijM

The irony being that he’s actually the 80s movie villain who gets defeated via his own hubris by doing something incredibly stupid and dangerous like climbing up a scaffold and falling to his death, or getting knocked into a vat of acid via a Rube Goldberg sequence that he set in motion himself, or touching the forbidding plot McGuffin and erasing himself from existence or turning himself into a monster who then promptly dies minutes later.

Sadly, the world will not be free of the threat Trump poses until the moment he actually dies in real life, and even then, the world will never be free of the threat of Trumpism. That sleazebag-flavoured Christian Nationalism poo poo is the future.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

kartikeya posted:

Yep.

I think it's notable that, how the footage plays out, the mob pulls back a little when they see the gun. There's a lot of warning about a gun being drawn. Babbitt then tries to climb through anyway. I guarantee, 100%, that if she'd reached the other side without resistance the entire mob would have realized the cop had hesitated and surged after her, at which point it probably wouldn't have mattered if shots were fired. Mobs are terrifying organisms that run on rage and group pressure; once they're sparked, they'll go and go until they meet enough physical force to literally stop them, they completely run out of momentum because the target(s) of their ire can't be reached/found, or they reach their target and then burn themselves out with violence. They were somewhat slowed by the barricade, the presence of the lawmakers sparked their energy again, the gun made them hesitate, and then one of them charged anyway. It's like a people avalanche.

Yeah I used to do security at a concert venue in my younger days, and they stressed that there was no such thing as crowd control. It doesn't exist. The most you can do is try and steer it in a desired direction by providing a path of least resistance, because 20 security people aren't going to do jack poo poo against 500+. Not letting the crowd get to the point they're so het up they're going to stampede/riot is how you keep the lid on that, which is why we have rules like occupancy requirements (in addition to fire codes), no approaching the stage, etc. It really is a herd mentality, most people in a group will follow whoever speaks up first or heads in a general direction, without even noticing they're doing it. Try it next time you're with a group and deciding where to go eat after a movie or concert or something and milling around talking, just start moving in a direction while you keep up conversation, chances are the group will follow.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Question for republican senators: should trump be charged with federal crimes, or is the appropriate response to impeach, convict, and revoke his ability to hold public office?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uglycat posted:

Question for republican senators: should trump be charged with federal crimes, or is the appropriate response to impeach, convict, and revoke his ability to hold public office?

Republican senators are hosed up mutants but I don't think any of them are sick enough to read D&D

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao

https://twitter.com/brendanbuck/status/1541781150930288641?s=21&t=ntuzJwfDwumEdfKCnAAksA

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How many Capitol police do you think would bar the President from entering the Capitol, using force if necessary? Because if Trump's leading a column of insurrectionists into the Capitol, that's the question that suddenly needs answering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LOL these people are always the laziest fuckers alive.