Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I feel like it would be hard to throw a Big Mac with such small hands. It would just come apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Accubitus posted:

I'm not sure I would attribute any outcome of 2020, regardless of framing, to Mueller's investigation. It seems like COVID, for example, was probably a much bigger motivator of outcome. I don't remember any discussion about Mueller at all during 2020; I don't think it was very front-of-mind for people heading into the voting booth.

I agree, once Mueller gave his final word on things everyone was either "yup, Trump exonerated" or hit the final realization that the president is above the law because of his various scumbag friends in high places, there wasn't much to discuss after that and I didn't really see anything about his investigation at all.

Honestly outside of the internet I haven't encountered anyone talking about these current proceedings at all which is bonkers to me, though I'm hoping at least Trump physically assaulting and trying to commandeer the car to go lead the knowingly armed insurgency on the Capitol gets people's attention (even if like people posted earlier that if anything here might Actually Matter it will probably be the witness tampering).

But on the other hand I think even this, people are already either foregone that it won't result in any actual consequences for Trump or they're still sad the coup didn't succeed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tiny Timbs posted:

I feel like it would be hard to throw a Big Mac with such small hands. It would just come apart.

They're not as big as they look in the ads

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Everyone involved in January 6th is getting a pardon come January, 2025, so I'm not inclined to think any of this is meaningful anyways.

Edit: improper use of word, thanks for the catch.

MooselanderII fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 28, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MooselanderII posted:

Everyone involved in January 6th is getting a pardon come January, 2025, so I'm non plussed at any of this being meaningful anyways.

Not to be too prescriptivist, but nonplussed means perplexed/bamboozled

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

*Struggling to maintain my composure.* ... indeed.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

MooselanderII posted:

Everyone involved in January 6th is getting a pardon come January, 2025, so I'm non plussed at any of this being meaningful anyways.

It would be delicious, in the sort of way that one imagines brimstone is delicious, if what we got from all of this were actual legitimate charges against a former president only for Joe "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden to pardon him a la Ford to Nixon.

I think that would have to be the outcome of a true "the former president did actual verifiable crimes" result, since without the senate to hold the justice system back by impossible-to-reach impeachment standards, it's the only way to keep up the pretenses that our justice system can function in any sort of egalitarian way. The system can say "this was a bad thing, and the former president was bad to do it," but the president can't be allowed to go to prison or the truly powerful would feel at risk; either the committee must absolve him, or the current president (or I guess the next one, if it takes long enough to get there) will have to pardon him.

I would love to be wrong about this, but the very idea that this country could ever put a former president, even a loathsome wretch like this one, in prison is just ... beyond my imagination.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Ershalim posted:

It would be delicious, in the sort of way that one imagines brimstone is delicious, if what we got from all of this were actual legitimate charges against a former president only for Joe "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden to pardon him a la Ford to Nixon.

I think that would have to be the outcome of a true "the former president did actual verifiable crimes" result, since without the senate to hold the justice system back by impossible-to-reach impeachment standards, it's the only way to keep up the pretenses that our justice system can function in any sort of egalitarian way. The system can say "this was a bad thing, and the former president was bad to do it," but the president can't be allowed to go to prison or the truly powerful would feel at risk; either the committee must absolve him, or the current president (or I guess the next one, if it takes long enough to get there) will have to pardon him.

I would love to be wrong about this, but the very idea that this country could ever put a former president, even a loathsome wretch like this one, in prison is just ... beyond my imagination.

I mean even aside from indicting a former president being unimaginable for all of those reasons, the "biggest investigation in DOJ history" will literally mean nothing other than time served when trump inevitably returns to office.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm pretty certain that the combination of tiny hands and the extra frictional co-efficient of a sesame seed bun compared to a regular one means that there's a very high chance that a perfect spiral was achieved, and the big mac in question hit the wall like it lobbed by a 5 star QB recruit. The plate was obviously thrown immediate after, as a statement against the wasted nature of such a beautiful sight

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Seems that the 6-3 High Ruling Council will not make it easy for people to vote in any challenges to their runaway power.

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1541868603917697024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s an extremely loose burger though

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I'm pretty certain that the combination of tiny hands and the extra frictional co-efficient of a sesame seed bun compared to a regular one means that there's a very high chance that a perfect spiral was achieved, and the big mac in question hit the wall like it lobbed by a 5 star QB recruit. The plate was obviously thrown immediate after, as a statement against the wasted nature of such a beautiful sight

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I genuinely don't understand how someone could live through the Mueller Report, the impeachment, and the second impeachment, and think that fourth time's the charm.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gripweed posted:

I genuinely don't understand how someone could live through the Mueller Report, the impeachment, and the second impeachment, and think that fourth time's the charm.

Desperate hope fighting against despair, I'd imagine.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Blind Pineapple posted:

"1950s" only gets thrown around by republicans because that's when most of them were kids or in their early 20s and can look back with rose-tinted glasses.

Policy wise, they really want to go back to the 1880s, where capital reigned supreme and there wasn't even a pretense of civil or worker rights to pay lip service to, and there was no such thing as accountability for anyone in power.

Most modern democrats would probably prefer the 1980s or early 2000s. Times of relative prosperity with a strong conservative figurehead that conditioned the masses to not rock the boat or expect much from government beyond "keeping them safe" from an imagined enemy.

and ironically enough, the 1950s were great because of Democratic policies during the 30s and 40s.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

If the person responsible for feeding Trump didn't have a backup burger at the ready, then they aren't very good at their job.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cimber posted:

and ironically enough, the 1950s were great for straight cis white men because of Democratic policies during the 30s and 40s.

Just want to clarify

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dubar posted:

If the person responsible for feeding Trump didn't have a backup burger at the ready, then they aren't very good at their job.

:siren: A SECOND BURGER HAS HIT THE WALL :siren:

Watch trump start a loving coup

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

I remember pre-2016 discussions along the lines of "what would the secret service do if one candidate physically attacked another?" and I guess it's comforting to know the SS has no problem corralling or restraining a president for their own good

Oh if you read Cheney's accounts of 9/11 he'll mention that when the Secret Service told him it was time evacuate the White House, his feet didn't touch the floor much, they literally carried his fat old rear end to the bunker toot sweet and were not brooking opposition.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Just want to clarify

Well, that was assumed.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gripweed posted:

I prefer https://old.reddit.com/r/miamidolphins/

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

That would be the opposite of learned helplessness.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Learned helplessness would be constantly asserting that there's nothing we can do and we've already lost permanently and forever. Good thing nothing like that ever gets posted in here

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

And how did trump do in 2020?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trump losing the presidency is not a punishment. He gets to go back to wielding power in the party and still living the rich fucko life and being a giant piece of poo poo. What are the actual stakes of this with regards to Donald Trump going to jail? I am under the impression that this committee poo poo is basically meaningless grandstanding because that's what it always is these days. Can the DOJ actually do something to Donald Trump over this poo poo? Are the current appointees likely to try? If they do try, what are the odds the case doesn't make it to the supreme court where he gets exonerated on a court that he installed 3 people to?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ershalim posted:

This is pants on head stupid. Biden has already taken the unprecedented step of stating that executive privilege doesn't extend to previous holders of the office and had it upheld by the Supreme Court. That was also unheard of before Trump. The man excels at pissing off the establishment to the point of actually doing the right thing just to nail his horrible rear end to the wall. He is single-handedly doing more to trash the idea of decorum and tradition than every wanna-be revolutionary in America could ever dream of, because he is just that bad.

Also Ford was a fellow Republican and was expressly appointed to the office to pardon Nixon. Biden... not so much.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Oracle posted:

Also Ford was a fellow Republican and was expressly appointed to the office to pardon Nixon. Biden... not so much.

I wonder how long President DeSantos would take before pardoning Trump?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

1. its DeSantis and 2. Depends on how badly Trump rips him a new one in the preceding months.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oracle posted:

1. its DeSantis and 2. Depends on how badly Trump rips him a new one in the preceding months.

Yeah, a President DeSantis would be unbearably torn between wanting to secure his own power by removing Trump as a rival, and wanting to save Trump from all consequences out of overriding loyalty to Daddy. I think he’d let Trump rot in jail because unlike Trump he’s a smart monster, but I can’t say it with anything less than 50.5% certainty.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cimber posted:

To him, Trump is a rival, not an ally. He'd gladly throw Trump under the bus, I think.

While there's a fair few genuine Trump loyalists out there, there's also a lot of GOP figures who hitched their wagons to him because they thought they could ride his wave to the top. They didn't dare to betray him as long as he was powerful and influential with the voters, but if he's sent to prison despite that, I doubt they'll do much for him: they'll all be too busy fighting to claim his legacy for themselves.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Taiko posted:

The saddest part is that it was probably a really nice burger that someone who works in the White House Mess had done a really good job of cooking. "Well I know he likes it well done, but that doesn't mean there can't be flavor," the person said as they made the patty, seasoned it, and cooked it with care. Then it was carried upstairs and what happened happened.

I didn't know you could make me feel sad over Trump pitching a hissy fit and launching a burg into the wall to leave a slapstick trail of ketchup down the wall, but drat it, you did it.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

HonorableTB posted:

I didn't know you could make me feel sad over Trump pitching a hissy fit and launching a burg into the wall to leave a slapstick trail of ketchup down the wall, but drat it, you did it.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the condiments of tomatoes and sugar.

It is pretty intense just how much Fox has committed to burying this whole hearing. They've downplayed things before compared to CNN/MSNBC/NPR, but this is the first time something this notable is just completely absent in their coverage.

edit: well I take that back, I guess the crew that runs the website is under a different playbook than the talking heads

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1541899130813005833?s=20&t=Y8_eZLuRzunPov2lKsfn0g

Have Some Flowers! fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 29, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the condiments of tomatoes and sugar.

It is pretty intense just how much Fox has committed to burying this whole hearing. They've downplayed things before compared to CNN/MSNBC/NPR, but this is the first time something this notable is just completely absent in their coverage.

Well, lets see what Fox is saying....

....nothing much.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

If DeSantis is smart, he'll get Trump to drop/ stay out of the race by promising him a pardon, then make every moderate dem in America worship him by going back on the promise. He'd have a 70% approval rating if he backstabbed Trump but implemented a fascist agenda while doing it.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

If DeSantis is smart, he'll get Trump to drop/ stay out of the race by promising him a pardon, then make every moderate dem in America worship him by going back on the promise. He'd have a 70% approval rating if he backstabbed Trump but implemented a fascist agenda while doing it.

If Trump isn't in jail by then, he'll rightfully think he's completely immune from prosecution (other than MAYBE as a result some kind internal republican power play thing after they control the entire federal government).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

One of the benefits of assuming the Jan 6 hearing will amount to nothing is that you can instead use that energy to dread the upcoming Supreme Court EPA decision. Before I was just thinking it would just say that the government basically can't do anything to stop global warming. But after the Dobbs decision it's clear they're going for broke, they might gut the whole idea of regulatory agencies.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I'm not optimistic here, because, you know, no one ever went broke betting that the rich and powerful in America would get away with crimes, but there is a pretty big difference here. In the three cases you mentioned, Republicans were needed to do anything. For the Mueller report, Mueller himself was a Republican, as was the head of the DoJ (lBill Barr), and for the two impeachments, 19(-ish) Republican senators were needed for removal from office. With the 1-6 commission, the DoJ could prosecute the case, and no Republicans are needed for that prosecution, aside from maybe those who have already testified against Trump. We'll see if they actually do bring the case, but they could.

Of course, when it becomes time to have the jury vote, I am not hopeful that a Republican jurist won't just blow up the conviction out of party loyalty. So it's probably all a moot point.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

I'm not optimistic here, because, you know, no one ever went broke betting that the rich and powerful in America would get away with crimes, but there is a pretty big difference here. In the three cases you mentioned, Republicans were needed to do anything. For the Mueller report, Mueller himself was a Republican, as was the head of the DoJ (lBill Barr), and for the two impeachments, 19(-ish) Republican senators were needed for removal from office. With the 1-6 commission, the DoJ could prosecute the case, and no Republicans are needed for that prosecution, aside from maybe those who have already testified against Trump. We'll see if they actually do bring the case, but they could.

Of course, when it becomes time to have the jury vote, I am not hopeful that a Republican jurist won't just blow up the conviction out of party loyalty. So it's probably all a moot point.

RICO laws mean you can charge the entire organization, don't they?

Charge every Republican, imho.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cimber posted:

Well, lets see what Fox is saying....

....nothing much.

I love that there are two Hunter Biden stories on their front page

They are really connected to the pulse of America on FoxNews.com. The gas price tracker thing also feels like a parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mendrian posted:

Republicans want to bring American back to a 1950 that never actually existed, I think honestly they want to visit an alternate timeline where Civil Rights never happened.

A term for this Revolutionary Romanticism, fascism is also a Revolutionary Romanticism.