Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Has anyone tried using the Sony anc headphones with this? Not the in ear ones, the actual headphones.

These https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-w...oductVariations

I use the wh1000xm3 all the time on my deck, works great. A bit of sound delay because of bluetooth, but nothing major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Emudeck is an amazing experience on the Deck. It took longer than I wanted to get working, but being able to experience some of the older games I loved on a handheld seems almost transformative. Skies of Arcadia Legends, THPS3, Steambot chronicles and more? I am blown away by this.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Saw this posted in the Video Game deal thread, easy set-up for itch.io:

minusX posted:

For a deal: If you get stuff from itch.io (including free games/demos) and have a Steam Deck they posted a walkthrough for making it work. I know that's a niche collection of people but: https://itch.io/blog/393053/how-to-play-itchio-games-on-the-steam-deck

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

JazzFlight posted:

Saw this posted in the Video Game deal thread, easy set-up for itch.io:
I never know which one to post to but honestly seems to cross post to both often lol. Also I wish I had this setup before I started a local download of a game I loaded up that doesn't have great save support because I do not want to lose all my progress in Holocure and moving over the edited save is effort aaaah.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Has anyone tried using the Sony anc headphones with this? Not the in ear ones, the actual headphones.

These https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-w...oductVariations

Yah got those exact headphones and seems to work fine.

I wasn't playing anything super latency intensive with them (Kentucky Route 0) though. Still didn't get any weird delay from button presses or anything.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zachack posted:

Related to tapping ip addresses into the file browser, is the keyboard sensitivity really low? Haptics goes off but drat if it doesn't drop every third entry if I tap like I'm on my phone.
No it's just really bad and drops input like crazy and also sometimes randomly decides to take a break for 15-30 seconds and then spit out everything you were typing all at once like if you're searching for "omori" and nothing is happening and then suddenly you end up typing "omoriiiiiiioooiiiiiiiioioiooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samopsa posted:

I use the wh1000xm3 all the time on my deck, works great. A bit of sound delay because of bluetooth, but nothing major.

I've been using my TB stealth 700s and have found it to be great. Was worried that BT would have too much delay but it's been totally up to any sort of standard I'd expect for gaming. if there's a delay I don't even notice it. I love how accessible the bluetooth options are on the dashboard. If for some reason it doesn't connect i can usually take care of it about 5 seconds.

My only other experience with BT gaming was switch and it was absolute trash. Didn't realize the BT just sucks on switch.

SerCypher posted:

Yah got those exact headphones and seems to work fine.

I wasn't playing anything super latency intensive with them (Kentucky Route 0) though. Still didn't get any weird delay from button presses or anything.

I've played mostly fast FPS and found it to be fine. The only thing I'd maybe be wary of using BT on with Deck is maybeee like, a rhythm game, on hard mode.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 28, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I've been using my TB stealth 700s and have found it to be great. Was worried that BT would have too much delay but it's been totally up to any sort of standard I'd expect for gaming. if there's a delay I don't even notice it. I love how accessible the bluetooth options are on the dashboard. If for some reason it doesn't connect i can usually take care of it about 5 seconds.

My only other experience with BT gaming was switch and it was absolute trash. Didn't realize the BT just sucks on switch.

I've played mostly fast FPS and found it to be fine. The only thing I'd maybe be wary of using BT on with Deck is maybeee like, a rhythm game, on hard mode.

I noticed a slight delay with BT but not terribly so, at least with my junk in-earbuds

No, the real disgust with BT is if the Switch goes into the "lockscreen" mode or sleep, whatever you call it, the bluetooth disconnects and you have to go deep in the menus to reconnect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Deck also disconnects on sleep but at least it's super easy to get them to reconnect. I just tap the BT button on my cans and it pretty much always reconnects. Worst case scenario that doesnt work and I have to toggle BT in the menus but it only takes a couple of seconds because the Decks UI mostly rocks and everything is right there in front of you.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

minusX posted:

I never know which one to post to but honestly seems to cross post to both often lol. Also I wish I had this setup before I started a local download of a game I loaded up that doesn't have great save support because I do not want to lose all my progress in Holocure and moving over the edited save is effort aaaah.
Well Holocure just gave me an error when trying to install it using the itch.io app anyway, so I just added the .exe from my Download folder to Steam manually and used Proton Experimental.

Is there really a big problem with how Holocure saves on the Steam Deck?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Any roguelike recommendations for Deck?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harminoff posted:

can't go wrong with Slay the Spire if you haven't already played it. I'd also recommend One Step from Eden if you were a fan of MMBN back in the day

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Harminoff posted:

Caves of Qud has an official controller layout that seems to work quite well and is Deck Verified. I booted it up out of curiosity and it controls quite well, which is surprising for such a complicated looking game.

Jupiter Hell I haven't tried yet but I saw it has full controller support. It's DoomRL with the serial numbers filed off, lots of fun.

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate I don't know how well it runs on the Deck but it's a lot of fun on Switch. Chunsoft Mystery Dungeon games are a whole genre in themselves at this point and this one is quite good!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

JazzFlight posted:

Well Holocure just gave me an error when trying to install it using the itch.io app anyway, so I just added the .exe from my Download folder to Steam manually and used Proton Experimental.

Is there really a big problem with how Holocure saves on the Steam Deck?
Yeah I couldn't select the version to pull and it would error so I manually did it.

The issue is the saves are encrypted per device and it's hard to move around. I'd suspect it's effort to even do it on the same device with different installs honestly.

When I first installed holocure I didn't put in a name because it was acting up with the keyboard and now I can't edit it anywhere which is annoying. Maybe I'll fix it with some save editing it's not like leaderboards exist currently

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Ive finally gotten around to getting Gunfire Reborn in the sale, and have exclusively been playing it on my steam deck. Works extremely well, game is really good! It's got a lot of metaprogression, which I'm not wild about in general, but it's been pretty smooth so far. The persistent talent tree is a grind, but it's also...I don't know, its fine. I'm not sure if the matchmaking takes that into account, because I have not had any luck finding other people to play with. That could be because I'm playing on the steam deck, because it uses your talent progression to hate who you can match with, or it could just be that no one was playing when I tried. Still, actually playing the game itself on the switch is real good, AND it uses way less battery than any other game I've played on the deck, for whatever reason.

Other RLs that I've enjoyed on the deck: Jupiter Hell, Risk of Rain 2, Nova Drift, Vampire Survivors, 20 Minutes Til Dawn, Dicey Dungeons.

Of course, the best RL to play on the deck is the same as everywhere else: Nuclear Throne

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ve been enjoying Rogue Legacy 2 and it seems to play really well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why TF am I replaying Skyrim??? There’s so much better stuff but I just can’t resist.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Can I play games on my deck, and also on my PC with the same account? Some kind of family setting?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

Can I play games on my deck, and also on my PC with the same account? Some kind of family setting?

Yep. If the game supports cloud saves by the time you exit the game, put it to sleep, and walk to your PC the save should be updated.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

MarcusSA posted:

Why TF am I replaying Skyrim??? There’s so much better stuff but I just can’t resist.

You must be dragonbored

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
This might be too broad of a question or might just result in regular Deck recommendations without any need for the qualifier I'm going to add, but does anyone have recs for a guy about to have his first kid?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

This might be too broad of a question or might just result in regular Deck recommendations without any need for the qualifier I'm going to add, but does anyone have recs for a guy about to have his first kid?

I know this doesn’t directly help you but since the deck handles sleep mode so drat well you can literally play anything as long as it’s not a perpetually online game.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Carteret posted:

Yep. If the game supports cloud saves by the time you exit the game, put it to sleep, and walk to your PC the save should be updated.

I think they want to play on both devices at the same time.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Goodpancakes posted:

Yes, but not at the same time. If you have someone else who wants to play at the same time as you they'll need their own account and copy of the game they want to play.

And that's true whether they're playing the same game as you or a different game - they cannot play at the same time as you.

However, if you want to play on the machines at separate times that should work fine. If the game supports cloud saves your progress will move between the machines automatically, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I'm doing the same with Fallout 4 and MGS5. both games I don't even know if I want to replay that bad but the novelty is making it fun lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

people keep talking about "perfect for deck" games and I've realized that my portable nirvana is being able to play un-compromised FPS campaigns in bed before falling asleep. No lovely controller problems, no ugly port. I can just sit there and play Titanfall or COD or Metro or Doom on an actual handheld in all of their glory with actual comfortable controls, mostly at 60 fps. It's amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm doing the same with Fallout 4 and MGS5. both games I don't even know if I want to replay that bad but the novelty is making it fun lol.

Speaking of FO4 are you having any issues with the game? My audio isn’t working right among a few other issues.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of FO4 are you having any issues with the game? My audio isn’t working right among a few other issues.

No issues at all tbh. Other than the clumsy text input at the beginning it's been pretty much flawless.

The audio did get all hosed up for me once but it's not unique to fallout. sometimes (rarely) coming out of sleep mode the audio will go bonkers and I'll have to restart but that has happened to me with like 4 games now.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Play The Last of Us when it comes out on PC later this year (if you haven't played it on PlayStation already)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Yes, but not at the same time. If you have someone else who wants to play at the same time as you they'll need their own account and copy of the game they want to play.

And that's true whether they're playing the same game as you or a different game - they cannot play at the same time as you.

However, if you want to play on the machines at separate times that should work fine. If the game supports cloud saves your progress will move between the machines automatically, too.
If the game has hot-seat or split-screen multiplayer you could use Steam streaming or something like Moonlight to play on different devices, right?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

You’ll be insanely sleep deprived. Consider replaying things that you already know pretty well.

Short sessions of simple titles like Vampire Survivors might be good.

Slow, largely peaceful things like old Harvest Moons, Stardew Valley, Slime Rancher, etc., can be nice.

Also, having a newborn makes playing Death Stranding especially weird. :awesomelon:

Insanite fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 29, 2022

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Insanite posted:

You’ll be insanely sleep deprived. Consider replaying things that you already know pretty well.

Short sessions of simple titles like Vampire Survivors might be good.

Slow, largely peaceful things like old Harvest Moons, Stardew Valley, Slime Rancher, etc., can be nice.

Also, having a newborn makes playing Death Stranding especially weird. :awesomelon:

Was considering DS but after playing Elden Ring and Horizon: FW I'm thinking it might be too long. My friend started that when he got his Deck this month and he's having a baby in August.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Insanite posted:

Just fyi to anyone else craving this experience, you can buy a replica baby from the Kojima store

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone had good luck running oblivion or morrowwind on their deck?

Apparently Morrowind works fine via proton/wine. There's also an open-source version of morrowind (OpenMW) that can do native linux as well, if you like to gently caress around with that kind of thing. It wasn't that hard for me to set up but ymmv and I did it on an ubuntu install a few years ago. It can do a lot of mods, but some of the more intensive mods (anything that patches the binary or some of the scripting extenders I think) wouldn't work. But I was able to install a lot of qol improvements when I used it so it was fine for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Just putting one or the other into "offline mode" works too, if you're doing the "this game has a boring semi-afk thing and I'm going to play Slay the Spire somewhere else in the meantime"

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Insanite posted:

That's where I was going with the TLOU recommendation and Death Stranding is also a great one. You might find yourself with a radically different appreciation of the parent / child dynamic that makes games that dig deep into that as part of their core themes way more profound. I certainly did. Also they're both great games.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah it is wanted to play two games at the same time. Say one member of my household on the deck, and another on the computer. What has caught me off guard here is that we aren't trying to play the same game. So that IS frustrating. I have two computers, and discreet copies of games, but only a singular account. Which is, frankly, annoying. I can offline mode some single player stuff but that limits my options when we both would want to play.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Isn’t that what steam family sharing is for? Can’t you make a 2nd account for the second person they could login with and play your games while you’re on the deck?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah family sharing would absolutely work for any titles you aren't trying to play together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trucker Hat posted:

Caves of Qud has an official controller layout that seems to work quite well and is Deck Verified. I booted it up out of curiosity and it controls quite well, which is surprising for such a complicated looking game.

You know, that's been just at the edge of my radar for a very long time and I like giving money to goon games. Thanks for the heads-up.