Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Donald take the wheeeeeel
With your tiny hands
The coup can't go on all alooone
Never let it gooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So the latest on Secret Service "contesting" Hutchinson's testimony:

They are only contesting he grabbed the wheel or attacked the agent, and this is specifically Ornato, who appears Trumpier than even Engels, who appears to have also corroborated Hutchinson's version of events.

Ornato denies telling Hutchinson that story. That's it.

He confimed that Trump absolutely was livid and wanted to go to the capitol, confirmed the metal detector removal as well.

So Ornato for whatever reason stayed loyal to Trumpy boy at least somewhat for god knows why.

I remember a few years back Trump made a big deal of having all the Secret Service who served under Obama removed, so I wonder if Engels and Ornato were handpicked Praetorians.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 29, 2022

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Former Obama photographer knows something about shade:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
One small part of this whole thing that brings me joy is constantly hearing about just what a miserable sack of crap Trump is all the time. I mean, he's one of the luckiest people alive, he was born into unimaginable wealth and had enough shamelessness and PR skills to parlay that into celebrity. He could spend the rest of his life just chillin' and having fun. But instead he's so desperately needy that he ends up throwing toddler-level tantrums all the time. It must be miserable.

And regarding the mattering, it's impossible to predict when or if the tide might turn. Things that aid it would include a bunch of close advisers thinking their goose is cooked and turning on him to testify, or someone like Rupert Murdoch deciding their goals would be better advanced by throwing him to the wolves. The dam never seems like it will break until it does.

Unless, of course, the new world of social media and cable news makes that no longer true. But its always broken in the past, so I would expect it to at some unknowable time until proven otherwise.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
If the mattering does end up happening Republicans, both party and voters, are going to be completely blindsided. None of them are watching the hearings and the highlights are being filtered through their own media ecosystem. It'll be a pretty big shock.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Moktaro posted:

Former Obama photographer knows something about shade:

Ah yeah, that's the good lib stuff right there - elide the insanity of trying to kill the legislature and instead make it a battle of cultural signifiers between ketchup vs Dijon mustard.

I know Obama's photographer is not a DNC strategist, but still, kindly gently caress off buddy

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Reminder that Michael Flynn is a legitimate traitor to the republic.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

Please make sure you're very specific about the conditions of your toxx and I'll edit it into the OP.

edit: looks like $25 to a Ukraine charity if Trump is/isn't indicted by Sept 1?

My toxx ban (but not perma) is admittedly I have some time on. But I will 100% honor it and won't weasel out.

Toxx: Trump is not indicted or arrested for January 6th or Georgia. Runs for president in 2024.

$25 to red cross or Ukraine charity if indictment by September 1st.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

He grabs it with his tiny hands …

But he just can’t steer the beast.

:golfclap:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

:golfclap:

Edit this was meant to quote the post above it...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cimber posted:

While I think the hearing was great, I don't think its going to move the needle all that much. True believers are gonna remain true believers. People who hated Trump are just going to hate him much more. People who don't give a poo poo are gonna continue watching reality TV.

But I think this is what the DoJ was waiting for so they could finally indite that turdburgler. If they don't indite him then we are truly lost as a country.

Also, most people who vote GOP aren't even hearing it or, if they are, are getting watered down versions of it with selective edits accompanied by biased commentary to demonstrate how it's no big deal. If all you listen to and watch is AM radio and FOX News or travel in RW FB circles and poo poo, you're probably not being shown anything incendiary. That's not even counting the MAGA's who legit think it was great and totally justified because the election was stolen.

Rigel posted:

They weren't in that limo. They were in a regular black SUV. People around the president just colloquially refer to any car Trump is in as the Beast even if its not the limo. Kind of like any plane he is on is Air Force One.

Again, though, a large percentage of people will never learn this and, even if they do, they won't loving care and will just make up some other poo poo and talk about FAKE NEWS. Like, I STILL hear MAGA's going around talking about how the insurrectionists were "invited in" and never violently forced their way in anywhere because they saw one clip of the Capitol Police falling back at a barricade.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 29, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, most people who vote GOP aren't even hearing it or, if they are, are getting watered down versions of it with selective edits accompanied by biased commentary to demonstrate how it's no big deal. If all you listen to and watch is AM radio and FOX News or travel in RW FB circles and poo poo, you're probably not being shown anything incendiary. That's not even counting the MAGA's who legit think it was great and totally justified because the election was stolen.

Again, though, a large percentage of people will never learn this and, even if they do, they won't loving care and will just make up some other poo poo and talk about FAKE NEWS. Like, I STILL hear MAGA's going around talking about how the insurrectionists were "invited in" and never violently forced their way in anywhere because they saw one clip of the Capitol Police falling back at a barricade.

People are making the limo poo poo as the main point when its only really a 2nd hand story she heard. The limo and grabbing the wheel isn't the point, the point is that he knew his followers were armed, he knew they were riled up and he wanted to personally lead an armed mob to the capital to stop the counting of electors.

gently caress the grabbing the wheel bit. Lets not forget the important part of yesterday's story.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cimber posted:

People are making the limo poo poo as the main point when its only really a 2nd hand story she heard. The limo and grabbing the wheel isn't the point, the point is that he knew his followers were armed, he knew they were riled up and he wanted to personally lead an armed mob to the capital to stop the counting of electors.

gently caress the grabbing the wheel bit. Lets not forget the important part of yesterday's story.

whats funny is the news isnt even really talking about that part outside the "someone disputes part of this part of the story but thats it" they are talking about the big broad strokes stuff or other stuff like Ukraine, r kelly getting sentenced, Finland/Sweden joining nato.

Kale
May 14, 2010

William Bear posted:

Is this legally hearsay? I'm not a lawyer, but I thought hearsay would be if this witness were to say she heard another person talk about what Trump said.

Anyway, that magnetometer statement is pretty damning. The only defense I can think of is that Trump could insist he meant "These people wouldn't hurt me, they're my biggest fans!" If he emphasized the "me", as in "hurt me", that seems inescapable.

Edit: Jesus H Christ, he attacked a Secret Service guy?

If we to go by what the House GOP claims then basically no evidence is admissible in court

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

man these bots are getting scarier and scarier in their ability to ape real people

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oracle posted:

man these bots are getting scarier and scarier in their ability to ape real people

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but just for the record it's a fake bot that's actually just a comedy twitter gimmick.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mirotic posted:

Call it manifesting, but $25 to NNAF that he is indicted by September 1st, Georgia or federal. (That is, I'm saying he will be. If not, I'll pony up.)

Cool you're on.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Cool you're on.

So when does the actual committee wrap up? I thought it was the end of September. Would that not be a more reasonable drop dead date?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Oracle posted:

So when does the actual committee wrap up? I thought it was the end of September. Would that not be a more reasonable drop dead date?

I have no clue and saw another bet set Sept 1

I'm fine to push it back to then or whatever.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Same here with pushing it back, as I also have no clue and based it on other bets.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

We may want to say 'by the time the committee submits its final report' because I can only find the nebulous 'in September' (which I assume is why the Sept 1 date was chosen in the first place) and they keep pushing back their hearings as new evidence comes to light so I don't think they'd have hit whatever their initial drop dead date was anyway.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Oracle posted:

We may want to say 'by the time the committee submits its final report' because I can only find the nebulous 'in September' (which I assume is why the Sept 1 date was chosen in the first place) and they keep pushing back their hearings as new evidence comes to light so I don't think they'd have hit whatever their initial drop dead date was anyway.

OK lets go with "by final report" and stop talking about it I don't want to make this thread about sidebetting more than I already have.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

pthighs posted:

One small part of this whole thing that brings me joy is constantly hearing about just what a miserable sack of crap Trump is all the time.
We cannot conduct an accurate differential analysis a la DSM so I will merely suggest that you take a peek at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

See? Trump really is tough on China

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Hutchinson was in Ornato's office with Engel and heard it 1st-hand from Engel, who was there.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hitchinson was in Ornato's office with Engel and heard it 1st-hand from Engel, who was there.

Engel is supposedly disavowing the statement and saying it never happened, because of course he would.

But it doesn't matter. The stuff that is really important is being ignored so people can instead argue the logistics over grabbing a steering wheel.

[edit]I mean conservatives on places like twitter. They don't want to argue that their god-king is a fruitloop who tried to lead an armed mob to the capital. This is much more appealing to them to impeach the credibility of Hitchenson.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hutchinson was in Ornato's office with Engel and heard it 1st-hand from Engel, who was there.

That's still secondhand. Engel and Ornato can testify* themselves what they saw and heard.

* You know, under oath. Anyone can say anything out in public.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Slightly off tanget, but the constitution says the president has the power of pardon except in matters of impeachment.

Does that mean that the president can't pardon people who might be called to testify him in impeachment cases? Because thats a pretty big stick he could wield. "Lie to congress and if you get caught I'll just pardon you."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cimber posted:

Engel is supposedly disavowing the statement and saying it never happened, because of course he would.

But it doesn't matter. The stuff that is really important is being ignored so people can instead argue the logistics over grabbing a steering wheel.

[edit]I mean conservatives on places like twitter. They don't want to argue that their god-king is a fruitloop who tried to lead an armed mob to the capital. This is much more appealing to them to impeach the credibility of Hitchenson.

Watching the various news outlets most folks are covering the “they won’t hurt me” or the whole thing in broad strokes as “holy gently caress this bad” it isn’t being ignored by mainstream

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The half denials of the single aspect of one claim is just amplifying the whole thing, tbh.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
lol

republicans can totally just give false testimonies that are easily debunked to delegitimize the committee, can't they

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
like i figured that this'll could likely end with someone making a technical mistake that is then blown up by the media and then the DOJ has an excuse not to do anything, but yeah it's obvious that the republicans could just provide bad faith witnesses.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 29, 2022

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

like i figured that this'll could likely end with someone making a technical mistake that is then blown up by the media and then the DOJ has an excuse not to do anything, but yeah it's obvious that the republicans could just provide bad faith witnesses.

Of course the witnesses are republicans. Nancy Pelosi didn't exactly get offered a position at the White House Coup Task Force.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cimber posted:

Slightly off tanget, but the constitution says the president has the power of pardon except in matters of impeachment.

Does that mean that the president can't pardon people who might be called to testify him in impeachment cases? Because thats a pretty big stick he could wield. "Lie to congress and if you get caught I'll just pardon you."

That would be a good idea for a restriction, but legally that doesn't seem likely to prevail in court. The most common reading of the Constitution and the pardon power is that the President can't pardon the subject of an impeachment (to obviate their impeachment trial), but anyone else is fair game.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Automata 10 Pack posted:

lol

republicans can totally just give false testimonies that are easily debunked to delegitimize the committee, can't they

I mean they could, but she could also be telling the truth and the fact that she's a woman means just saying "she's lying" is a viable and effective strategy.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am suprised Trump failed to cultivate a cadre of loyal agents around him. He had four years to cajole, bribe and do whatever else it took purge them and bring in his own fanatics.
A lesson for next time.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Automata 10 Pack posted:

lol

I guess if those witnesses want to do hard time for perjury. Random aides won't get the same leeway as fully grown lapdogs for perjury.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We joke about the hilarity of Trump's tiny baby hands strangling a secret service agent, but what everyone forgets is that it isn't Trumps hands you have to watch for, those are just to hold you long enough to get you into range of his mouth. The man eats shoe leather and calls it steak regularly. He must have the bite strength of an alligator at this point. A few seconds longer in his grip, and the driver would be effectively a dead man.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Baudolino posted:

I am suprised Trump failed to cultivate a cadre of loyal agents around him. He had four years to cajole, bribe and do whatever else it took purge them and bring in his own fanatics.
A lesson for next time.

Trump demands absolute loyalty for nothing in return, and will throw you to the wolves first chance he gets. If he did that he wouldn’t be Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Relevant to the title:

https://twitter.com/JustinCChang/status/1541901265197641728

:dadjoke: