Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
bring back el hefe, hell sort this place out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Powerful

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

They think Latifi will break all the new parts before they've had any running to test them.
They are absolutely correct on that assessment.

lmao forever at failson paydrivers getting shafted by the team because they're too bad to draw any meaningful conclusions from

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Does anyone here happen to use F1 TV Access on Roku? I'm thinking about signing up but want to make sure I won't see any spoiler thumbnails/descriptions when I go to watch something a few hours after it happens.

They are pretty good with making the thumbnails non spoilers except if it’s rainy they usually show that. There are no descriptions beyond the session title.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

his 8th championship imo

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I was casually reading every post and couldn't understand the thread closure when I got to it. It's making me worried that I'm becoming an old git who thinks young people these days are too sensitive.

Back to motorsport... My colleague was at Goodwood and was raving about the fan-car by McMurtry. What's to stop F1 doing something a bit more innovative like that? Just inertia?

Is there an open Motorsport event that allows any car at all?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Good to see the red flag has been cleared after the thread was driven into a wall.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Quizzlefish posted:

Back to motorsport... My colleague was at Goodwood and was raving about the fan-car by McMurtry. What's to stop F1 doing something a bit more innovative like that? Just inertia?

I think the idea is that making all the cars faster just makes the sport more dangerous without improving the racing. And increases the costs which hurt the little guys more.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Quizzlefish posted:

I was casually reading every post and couldn't understand the thread closure when I got to it. It's making me worried that I'm becoming an old git who thinks young people these days are too sensitive.

There was a fan car, I think a Brabham? The regs prevent it now

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nelson wishes to clear some things up:

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/1542121113655943169?s=21&t=q_r9VtntVfj-kMcD4-vLVA

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

smackfu posted:

I think the idea is that making all the cars faster just makes the sport more dangerous without improving the racing. And increases the costs which hurt the little guys more.

I think Group B kind of hosed us in regards to getting another crazy open class motorsport. The cars ended up basically incredibly powerful and rad as hell, but also made of paper. So there would have to be some pretty strict safety rules nowadays I would imagine.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

Usually hill climbs and time attacks have unlimited classes where pretty much anything goes I believe.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol he's literally doing the "it was the n word with the a at the end" excuse

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

he also added, "I was just singing along to a song, if they can say it then why can't I!?"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

don't really have much interest in a thread that gets locked for several hours because it's apparently crossing the line to (checks notes) criticize the daughter of a racist for liking racist poo poo on social media. seems like any sensible person with any awareness of the world we live in would consider the actual racism to be a bigger issue, but who am I to say, I'm just a person who lives in reality. later gators

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

McLaren is trash and Zak Brown should be fired

agree to disagree

Parappa the Dapper
Jul 2, 2003

...and then my toast came out soft.
Williams is giving the new package to Albon because it is worse and they want Latifi to have one last race where he finishes above his teammate before jettisoning him into the sun.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

goons with rage that they can't criticize a woman, name a more iconic combo

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

your friend wicka posted:

don't really have much interest in a thread that gets locked for several hours because it's apparently crossing the line to (checks notes) criticize the daughter of a racist for liking racist poo poo on social media. seems like any sensible person with any awareness of the world we live in would consider the actual racism to be a bigger issue, but who am I to say, I'm just a person who lives in reality. later gators

agree to disagree

They are one more bad race from being 6th in constructors halfway through the season, don't look vaguely on the same level as any of the top teams including the bouncing Merc and are about ready to ditch one of their drivers after signing him to a top 5 salary. I'm unsure why a team with McLaren's resources gets all this rope to underperform every season just from a couple fluke podium results.

Take it easy

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Nelson Piquet Sr. more like Nelson Pee Quiet (he's a Senior, please understand).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I think Group B kind of hosed us in regards to getting another crazy open class motorsport. The cars ended up basically incredibly powerful and rad as hell, but also made of paper. So there would have to be some pretty strict safety rules nowadays I would imagine.

I always assumed modern rally cars were as fast as group B just a hell of a lot safer. Though I guess there's aimed for average speeds for stages now. Don't imagine that was a thing then

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Hmmm... weird how every other driver he mentioned was by name. Can't quite put my finger on where Hamilton differs...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The thread wasn't closed because of people criticizing the racist lmao, it was because people were doing weirdo gendered poo poo about Kelly, who is almost assuredly a piece of poo poo, and feel free to litigate her being one but like come on "max tinged pussy", and paddock bike and it was just getting real weird and uncomfortable for women posters in the thread.

Recognizing that no one probably meant anything malicious by those jokes so no probes, but was just spiraling in a real weird direction.

Anyway, lmao McLaren.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
psosting to see if the thread is still open

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

psosting to see if the thread is still open

Poois Shamilton

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Quizzlefish posted:

ilmucche posted:

There was a fan car, I think a Brabham? The regs prevent it now

Yep, there were a couple of fan cars including a Brabham in F1 that were pretty quickly banned.

https://youtu.be/BOxlKfcSs5o

And there aren’t really many super open racing series. There are only a couple that even have non-spec tires, Super GT in Japan being the highest profile of them. Why? It becomes a spending arms race, one company finds (or spends the most to bend the rules and find) the one solution, and all the other manufacturers quit because they don’t want to spend that much to get beat.

This is why Formula 1 has so many balancing measures in place now, this is why sports car racing is shifting to “Balance of Performance” rules instead of open rules, and why series like IndyCar are practically spec series. Nobody wants to get into a financial arms race.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

refleks posted:

Hmmm... weird how every other driver he mentioned was by name. Can't quite put my finger on where Hamilton differs...

7 WDCs I think

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pikes Peak is about as close as you can get to a notable racing event with a relatively free-spec category in it

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
But I want an arms race. I'd like to see the best possible. Ok maybe I wouldn't really if it meant no competition.... but I'm curious!

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

has ferrari figured out how to make cars yet

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ilmucche posted:

I always assumed modern rally cars were as fast as group B just a hell of a lot safer. Though I guess there's aimed for average speeds for stages now. Don't imagine that was a thing then

I've never compared any times but I wouldn't be surprised if modern cars are as fast as groub B were. But they're way safer, and I bet you could make them even faster if you took away weight by removing the modern safety stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dexo posted:

Anyway, lmao McLaren.

:smith:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

agree to disagree

If the problem is that she's a racist or her dad or uncle or whoever* is a racist, then the criticism is "she's a racist or her dad or uncle or whoever** is a racist." Going the other direction, if the criticism is "she fucks" then it makes it sound like people think it's a problem that she fucks. Imagine if there's some other non-racist woman who's hosed as many drivers as she has, do you want to insult her too? Always think of the non-racist sex havers.

*Not going to look it up
**Not going to look it up

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Charles Leclerc posted:

*Paddock bicycle.

It's a joke playing on awful poo poo that people say at the expense of an awful person ya fuckin doofus. Jfc.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

boxcarhobo posted:

no, but they have passion at least.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Even if they do figure out cars they will just fail at race strategy.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

boxcarhobo posted:

Yes.

https://twitter.com/fanaticsferrari/status/1542151038123364355?s=21&t=zzs1ePdxOR5p-E2XkjYc0Q

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
um ferrari loving owns? yes, they, do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sainz is going to spin into a wall

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

boxcarhobo posted:

Ferrari have made the best car OP, everyone is saying how much it owns.
Unfortunately they hired male models to drive the cars and it is not translating into race wins.
No one yet knows the answer to "why male models" but the best guess has something to do with Alpha Tauri being on the grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Thanks Ants posted:

Sainz is going to spin into a wall

He's going into the sand for what I believe will be the 5th time this seaosn