Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flytrap posted:

I dunno, maybe it'll change closer to the end game but Hubert has stayed in his little mage cubby and he's consistently been an MvP when I field him.

My Lysithea vaporizes anything she attacks and does thousands of damage with any magic weapon art, but if I position her slightly poorly some random grunt enemies will walk up and stab her for hundreds of damage while she's casting, or some archer I didn't see charging an attack because of all the particle effects of the combo finishers will shoot her for 3/4 of her life bar.

Comparatively most of the non-axe physical classes fly around nonstop during all of their combos so it's extremely easy to just not ever get hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's because we live in a bizarre hellworld where Lorenz is the God Tier mage this time around.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lorenz is a god tier anything. Despite his mediocre stats you can stack every single "increase damage but take more damage" skill in the world on him and it doesn't matter because his unique skill will bounce all incoming attacks while you mash like a baboon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've never noticed low defense because everything is loving vaporized in seconds by magic and past the early game you can use it non-stop

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kanos posted:

Honestly I feel like what lets the mage classes down isn't their combos, it's their terrible defense combined with how static the moveset is. You're guaranteed to get butt shanked for a billion damage while fighting in a crowd because the moves have no movement at all.

"butt shanked" is now in my lexicon, thanks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kanos posted:

My Lysithea vaporizes anything she attacks and does thousands of damage with any magic weapon art, but if I position her slightly poorly some random grunt enemies will walk up and stab her for hundreds of damage while she's casting, or some archer I didn't see charging an attack because of all the particle effects of the combo finishers will shoot her for 3/4 of her life bar.

Comparatively most of the non-axe physical classes fly around nonstop during all of their combos so it's extremely easy to just not ever get hit.

I don't think I've ever had that problem, but my mages are Shez, Ignatz, Lorenz, and Holst, so I might have some rose-tinted glasses on.

Kanos posted:

Lorenz is a god tier anything. Despite his mediocre stats you can stack every single "increase damage but take more damage" skill in the world on him and it doesn't matter because his unique skill will bounce all incoming attacks while you mash like a baboon.

Lorenz is definitely one of the best characters in this game in my opinion. Rose barrier is such a great unique passive.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I notice the low defense when a drat War Master does that ice slide and nearly one-shots someone then does two-shot while I'm still frozen. Poor Mercedes, she died completely how she didn't live.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah mages I can't quite get into; it feels like Archers spam their stuff even more than the other classes so every enemy officer having superarmor as compared to FEW1 makes it pretty difficult to use any of the longer combos.

Where's Astra when you need it??? Maybe my mistake is always putting Lifeforce on too for mages, since I learned early that Renewal is exceptionally useless.

On the other hand punchmans owns and Raphael is superpunchman.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 29, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
When and how should I be using my activity points? Use them all up at the beginning of the chapter? Cook immediately and then hold the rest till the end? Do I spam chores or expeditions? I want to maximize supports.

Speaking of which, I've heard on twitter you can get locked out of some support chains if you wait too long, is that true and is there a list available of who and when?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I normally open by cooking the good meals (so I have the buffs all chapter) and then do chores with the rest of the points, since that helps build support between the other army members.

Expeditions are fun but I don't really see the point if you're minmaxing. Shez supports are already the easiest, since you can give gifts and get free points from dialogue, so it seems better to spend activity points working on the non-shez support chains.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Afaict there's no reason not to spend your activity points as soon as you get them. I know that occasionally you'll get a "[character] wants to go on an expedition" notification, but anecdotally, I feel like every time that's happened, it's been immediately after I did a mission which gave me an activity point, so I don't know if there's any reason to save them--I guess if you wanted to be paranoid you could hang on to one point until the end of the chapter, just in case.

I couldn't tell you the optimal way to spend them though, in fact I'm curious about that myself--it feels like probably meal bonuses are better than the renown you get from chores, but I'm only in the middle of my first run and I'm not sure what you can do with renown besides spend it on stat boosting items. I'm guessing you can use it on a NG+ to boost your characters, but even then, I don't know if that means it's important to start banking it now.

Snake Maze posted:

I normally open by cooking the good meals (so I have the buffs all chapter) and then do chores with the rest of the points, since that helps build support between the other army members.

Expeditions are fun but I don't really see the point if you're minmaxing. Shez supports are already the easiest, since you can give gifts and get free points from dialogue, so it seems better to spend activity points working on the non-shez support chains.

Yeah this is my approach too. I only do expeditions when I get the notification that a character wants to go on one (and even then, I'm not sure if there's any point to this, it just feels like the right thing to do)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I cook immediately, wait til the last chapter, do a bunch of chores for support grinding. Meal bonus I target is quicker warrior gauge and better durability. If someone wants to do an expedition I do it. That's about it. No idea if it's optimal.

Meanwhile after recognizing how defense matters, project armor knight is a go, and all my mages are undergoing training. Thankfully it feels like any squishy character can learn def+10 and that might be the only passive stat skill I would auto use.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Epi Lepi posted:

When and how should I be using my activity points? Use them all up at the beginning of the chapter? Cook immediately and then hold the rest till the end? Do I spam chores or expeditions? I want to maximize supports.

Speaking of which, I've heard on twitter you can get locked out of some support chains if you wait too long, is that true and is there a list available of who and when?

So basically. Cook at the beginning so that the cooking benefit accrues across the entire chapter.

Hold off on everything else because you don't know what facility upgrades will drop as you play through the chapter.

Spend on oneoff expeditions if you think you really want a support on that character, the increase there is significant.

Spend down on all your activity points at the end of the chapter.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The main point of doing chores or expeditions early in the chapter is to increase motivation on the characters you want to get the exp bonus buff, I think.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Unreal_One posted:

The main point of doing chores or expeditions early in the chapter is to increase motivation on the characters you want to get the exp bonus buff, I think.

Morale level just increases the damage a character does, according to the in-game tutorial anyways. I think it's 5% per level. The thing that gives an exp bonus is being Energized (the orange icon on 2 units per battle). And that is just random among units that haven't been deployed in a few battles, I don't think there's any way to control it beyond that.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the main point of doing expeditions is to have a nice time and show your units that you love them

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
also there's some expedition related achievements so at least do em a bit for those

haven't had perfect answers yet, feeling very scorned

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
There's a cheatsheet for them already, naturally.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Huh, Gatekeeper can be taken to expeditions. Which means he's a natural recruit instead of being like Rhea and all the other post-game characters

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Natural 20 posted:

So basically. Cook at the beginning so that the cooking benefit accrues across the entire chapter.

Hold off on everything else because you don't know what facility upgrades will drop as you play through the chapter.

Spend on oneoff expeditions if you think you really want a support on that character, the increase there is significant.

Spend down on all your activity points at the end of the chapter.

The only thing I'd add is that if you need support points between a specific pair, don't hoard the activity points. You can only send someone on one chore between each battle, so you'll want to go back and have them do chores together each time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hargrimm posted:

Morale level just increases the damage a character does, according to the in-game tutorial anyways. I think it's 5% per level. The thing that gives an exp bonus is being Energized (the orange icon on 2 units per battle). And that is just random among units that haven't been deployed in a few battles, I don't think there's any way to control it beyond that.

I'm guessing what they meant was that you can send your energized characters out on chores/meals/expeditions to give them morale, since you'll know that you'll be bringing them and can give them an advantage. If you check your roster in camp, it'll tell you who's energized on this turn, so you can plan ahead.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm guessing what they meant was that you can send your energized characters out on chores/meals/expeditions to give them morale, since you'll know that you'll be bringing them and can give them an advantage. If you check your roster in camp, it'll tell you who's energized on this turn, so you can plan ahead.

Nah, I just misremembered the tutorial on morale. I thought more morale = a higher chance of being energized, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

Nah, I just misremembered the tutorial on morale. I thought more morale = a higher chance of being energized, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ah gotcha sorry. Well it was still decent advice, even if it was by accident

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hargrimm posted:

Assuming it's this one, has all kinds of useful info. Incidentally, it DOES have the descriptions of what all the Innate Abilities do, on the Abilities tab starting at line 1146

I could swear that tab wasn't there when I looked, but there's so much stuff I could've missed it. Anyway yeah that's what I was referring to.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Huh, Gatekeeper can be taken to expeditions. Which means he's a natural recruit instead of being like Rhea and all the other post-game characters

that's because he's already in your base

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Are adjutants good? I just realized I don't think I've used that mechanic even once yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Something I really want to see is what stats do here. It feels hard to quantify how much exactly str/mag matter, while it's extremely obvious how much def/rez matter. I saw some dex/luck scaling but yeah.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Inu posted:

Are adjutants good? I just realized I don't think I've used that mechanic even once yet.

I think the biggest advantage to adjutants is how they power up your supers for no cost. If you're fighting a boss and another character is nearby, it's definitely worth it to pair-up and get some burst damage. Otherwise I generally just use them tactically spread out.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They will also occasionally block a hit and do a knock up attack that exposes an enemy gauge. And you get tons of support points. It's always worth doing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like using them to pair with shez so that I can cover at least 4 points of the weapon triangle (if you give them both battalions) on one player. I guess that’s not a huge advantage if you’re less lazy than me and are more willing to pay attention to your units positioning and swap accordingly but I enjoy it as a reliable low effort way to play the game and maximize the use of my strongest character, while also leveling another character at the same time (at least….I think adjutants earn xp, don’t they?)

E: rereading my post, it sounds like I think that adjutants add their weapon advantages to their host unit—they don’t, you have to swap between them, but having them attached to each other like this makes it a lot easier to adapt.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eimi posted:

They will also occasionally block a hit and do a knock up attack that exposes an enemy gauge. And you get tons of support points. It's always worth doing.

The support attacks also start doing huge big chungus amounts of damage as the character involved gets stronger. I've had adjutant Hilda pop in and smash enemy commanders for 70% of her life in one go on her own.

I'll use adjutants a lot on smaller maps, but on larger maps I prefer spreading my people out so I can functionally intervene at multiple points across the map and farm kills faster. When you're going to go fight a boss to end a stage there's no reason to not pair up with whoever's convenient because it basically doubles the power of your warrior attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My rule is:

Small maps: 2 parties.
Large maps: 4 parties
Plot Maps: 4 parties, connect the NPCs to the PCs.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

other perks of adjundants: you can partner up with the less important characters on the main chapter battles for essentially no downside, since you aren't losing a different viewpoint to jump to

also it's the only way to teach certain spells to other characters, provided the characters in question have an A-rank weapon skills

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You learn spells from other characters?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bruceski posted:

You learn spells from other characters?
Some spells and combat arts can be passed along if
-you've gotten them to level 3
-they're one of the "teachable" spells (ie: not something normally learned by certain classes)
-you have a C-rank support with the other character
-the other character has an A-rank in that specific weapon class
-the learner is assigned as an adjuntant and you use the combat art in question a bunch

it's... extremely finicky? and given that you can only use 2 combat arts anyways, generally not worth the effort. But you can do it.
most likely it'll be useful in the event of like, eventual maddening difficulty DLC requiring minmaxing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The A-Rank in the weapon class requirement is absolutely baffling, because that's the goddamned master seal level of classes and by the time you have the final classes in a class line you have more than enough weapon arts to use already. It might be useful if you could do it really early on before you flesh out your toolkit, but, well, you can't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

The A-Rank in the weapon class requirement is absolutely baffling, because that's the goddamned master seal level of classes and by the time you have the final classes in a class line you have more than enough weapon arts to use already. It might be useful if you could do it really early on before you flesh out your toolkit, but, well, you can't.

I am guessing the intention is to give you more flexibility on elemental stuff so you can more reliably break monster parts.

Man but monsters are boring in this game I just realized.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I am guessing the intention is to give you more flexibility on elemental stuff so you can more reliably break monster parts.

Man but monsters are boring in this game I just realized.

Every monster I have ever seen has been three physical weaknesses and 1 element, and at least half the master rank classes can cover multiple elements even without weapon arts so sharing at that point is kind of redundant. Dark Knight can cover lances + every single magic element on its own with just basic attack strings + enders, for example.

It's a real headscratcher.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The WA transfer thing is mostly good for like, giving people like Mercedes a second Light attack spell to make use of her elemental booster, since she only gets Nosferatu on her own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
In the top left corner of some characters portraits during battle, there's a weapon icon that's crossed out, does anyone know what that means?