Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TescoBag posted:

Honestly, thank you for taking the time to educate me.
I have to, like I literally can't help myself. My seeming aggression is actually jaded cynicism from daily dips in the ocean of ignorance, so I can't tolerate it here, the one place where motorbike people aren't total morons. Also because the response is usually someone learning something instead of getting butthurt about my tone or whatever :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Once again I'd like to ask everyone to pay attention to what Slavvy says, he knows what he's talking about!

Slavvy posted:

They also want to sell bikes to younger and poorer people and those bikes need to be small and light,
Not quite sure I agree here though because I've seen no evidence that Harley recognizes that younger customers want lighter bikes. I think the lightest thing they make still is the Street 500 (unless they discontinued the whole Street line?) and that's nearly as heavy as an 883 which is nearly 600lb last I looked.

Slavvy posted:

Horsepower is an abstract number with no meaning outside of racing.
This is a really important fact.
Having said that, though, more RPM = better than. I want an engine that sounds like a V10 F1 car. Which is why the proliferation of singles frustrates me today. Big pistons no fun.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Since we're talking about Harleys i passed somebody on a Pan America today and they didn't wave :(

Showing air cooled pushrod bike:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dog Case posted:

Since we're talking about Harleys i passed somebody on a Pan America today and they didn't wave :(

Greybeard boomer Harley riders are the only ppl who won't wave to me :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m a big man I need a big man bike.

Jokes aside I really wanted the cb300r but I sat on one at the dealer and it was way too small and squished way down when I sat upon it.

Ended up with the worlds last new vfr deluxe instead for $8k.

How about that new gold wing. It’s pretty dang nice imo

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It squished way down because you are not a 140lb person (I assume); would need a shock adjust.

What was too small about it? Peg to seat distance?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not quite sure I agree here though because I've seen no evidence that Harley recognizes that younger customers want lighter bikes. I think the lightest thing they make still is the Street 500 (unless they discontinued the whole Street line?) and that's nearly as heavy as an 883 which is nearly 600lb last I looked.

The new, water cooled sportster is listed as 220kg wet. But you're right, which is why there's going to be an Indian built Harley 300 with a v-twin, and below that a range of e-bikes with 1930's styling. I think the old XL will finally shuffle off it's mortal coil in a couple of years and their transition to a triumph style model range will be complete: one platform for old men who demand air cooled tradition and backwards compatibility, the rest totally modern bikes with a Harley badge. The street 500 and 750 were basically learning models to cut their teeth on without a huge amount of investment, they were pretty crap and are long gone.

And yes, middleweight singles and i2's are sooo tedious compared to a zippy little four or a banging V.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Having said that, though, more RPM = better than. I want an engine that sounds like a V10 F1 car. Which is why the proliferation of singles frustrates me today. Big pistons no fun.

Slavvy posted:

And yes, middleweight singles and i2's are sooo tedious compared to a zippy little four or a banging V.

Preach.

Personally, the most important metric to judge an engine by is musicality. There has to be some tonality to it. And not just as a byproduct of function, but something someone considered in the design and chose to emphasize. My GSX-S doesn't have to sound like it does, but the designers knew it could, so they made it so you could hear the intakes sing (special mention to the engineers at Yoshimura).
In bikes built for racing like the flat plane R1 and various Ducati superbikes, sound probably doesn't factor in much other than as a byproduct, but when they stick that engine in a street chassis, then the designers can say "ok, how do we want this bike to sound. How should the sound reflect the character of this bike." Harleys have a really lovely low timpanic (like the drum) rumble with stock pipes. Unfortunately, mouth breathers just put straight pipes on them and then they just sound like the world's loudest rear end clapping fart. If the only thing you're considering an engine for is how it moves the bike forward, you end up with a BMW or maybe some (most) Hondas. People love those bikes, and they're not wrong to, but like, imagine Blade Runner without the Vangelis score. You can have the most brilliant bike, but without the music of the engine, it falls flat. I think some electric bike manufacturers understand this, since they can't sound loud, they have to sound good. I can't wait to see some Siemens engineers go to work on EV drivetrains so they can make some kind of chord progression as they accelerate.

Sorry that was some coffee induced stream of consciousness shitposting. Tl;Dr engines gotta sound good.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Finger Prince posted:

I can't wait to see some Siemens engineers go to work on EV drivetrains so they can make some kind of chord progression as they accelerate.

Already did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zDkTVFL61g&t=23s

Built by Siemens!

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 29, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah, exactly that, but on an electric motorbike.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Come to SE PA and visit one of our thousands of office parks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

opengl128 posted:

Come to SE PA and visit one of our thousands of office parks

I really want this pretty xerox machine ngl

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
a little late to the Harley engineering chat, but this fortnine video suggests, with some convincing figures, that Harley's insistence on air-cooled pushrod v-twins is indeed less efficient/powerful than the japanese way. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ooue7i73zo

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You don't buy American for efficiency. You buy it for freedom, aesthetic, and the virtue of never forgetting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MSPain posted:

a little late to the Harley engineering chat, but this fortnine video suggests, with some convincing figures, that Harley's insistence on air-cooled pushrod v-twins is indeed less efficient/powerful than the japanese way. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ooue7i73zo

Did you read literally nothing I said about power and efficiency? Cause that's how it looks and it's very annoying!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

Did you read literally nothing I said about power and efficiency? Cause that's how it looks and it's very annoying!

Your name is cassandra.

Anyway, I was thinking of buying a 401, they look neat/lol harley only makes old inefficient motors due to *heritage*, they should really make some modern ones.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I did read your post, I'm just noting that you are arguing that the shortcomings of long stroke, air-cooled, pushrod engines don't practically matter and the guy in the video is saying the opposite. and he used all sorts of flashy VFX so the ball's in your court :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Without watching the video (I'd rather stick forks in my eyes): he is falling into the marketing trap of defining a bigger number as better than and then declaring one thing is better because it has a bigger number.

How close did I get?

Did you read the posts I linked the other guy to? Cause if you find something I didn't cover in there I might actually be compelled to watch it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RyanF9 is a dweeb. :c00l:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

700 mile trip up the 101 begins… now !

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Which route? I'd strongly recommend going Hwy 9->35->84->1 from Santa Cruz. 101 is much nicer than 5 leaving LA, but once you get to the Bay Area it turns into a soulless freeway. I'm down to show you around the Santa Cruz Mountains if you want :shobon:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Slavvy posted:

Without watching the video (I'd rather stick forks in my eyes): he is falling into the marketing trap of defining a bigger number as better than and then declaring one thing is better because it has a bigger number.

How close did I get?

Did you read the posts I linked the other guy to? Cause if you find something I didn't cover in there I might actually be compelled to watch it.

Been lurking the past 2 pages this whole time thinking, "Everybody must be talking about what they saw in that F9 video..."

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

Which route? I'd strongly recommend going Hwy 9->35->84->1 from Santa Cruz. 101 is much nicer than 5 leaving LA, but once you get to the Bay Area it turns into a soulless freeway.

This. 101 doesn't get good again until it merges with 1.

In fact, if it's open, I'd take 1 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey Bay. Life is too short to spend time in the Central Valley.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That sounds awesome but I’m on a time crunch to get back up there, need to slab it. Those roads look awesome though. I’ll post again if I come thru there

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
lmao at getting mad at me for not reading your post (which I did) while not watching the video in mine

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Haven't had a chance to get out and ride for a bit.

Here's my bike on the mountain in front of a double rainbow and a microburst that I had to ride through down lower on the road. First time riding in a serious rain (for all of 5 minutes) after over a year of riding! I got to test wet tire grip a little, really surprised how much traction these Rosso 3s have on a very wet road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MSPain posted:

lmao at getting mad at me for not reading your post (which I did) while not watching the video in mine
:effort:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MSPain posted:

Cmon man you've had your first bike less than a week

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I hereby drop it because you are right and I never professed to know poo poo about bikes. That response just seemed real rude

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MSPain posted:

I hereby drop it because you are right and I never professed to know poo poo about bikes. That response just seemed real rude

Toe Rag posted:

RyanF9 is a dweeb. :c00l:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MSPain posted:

He’s.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got a new (to me) bike. 2020 Scrambler Icon Dark with 2000km on it.

I got them to stick a lower bar on it, I kinda wanted a flatter one but the available Ducati one has a slight rise. Looks way better than the weird stock one anyway. The seat is also non standard, I'll probably switch it for the flat stock one.

It goes very nicely, super calm of course compared to the Blade but nice to brrrppppppp around the countryside. I ran out of revs a couple of times overtaking, the amount of thrust at peak is about the same as when my other bike is about to start its steam catapult impression so I need to modify my riding a bit.

Fun anyway, I really like it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gosh Scramblers look so nice :allears:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

I got them to stick a lower bar on it, I kinda wanted a flatter one but the available Ducati one has a slight rise. Looks way better than the weird stock one anyway. The seat is also non standard, I'll probably switch it for the flat stock one.

It goes very nicely, super calm of course compared to the Blade but nice to brrrppppppp around the countryside. I ran out of revs a couple of times overtaking, the amount of thrust at peak is about the same as when my other bike is about to start its steam catapult impression so I need to modify my riding a bit.

You done good.

You ran out of revs overtaking? Surprised to hear that. Downshift and then try?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

?? That doesn't make sense. No I hit the redline, partly it's just a less fast bike, partly because it's a twin instead of a 4 so the exhaust note is an octave lower.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Also because the redline in 1st on a Fireblade is 160kph so running out of revs is not generally a problem

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

knox_harrington posted:

Nice!

Russian Bear posted:

Gosh Scramblers look so nice :allears:

They really do.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

?? That doesn't make sense. No I hit the redline, partly it's just a less fast bike, partly because it's a twin instead of a 4 so the exhaust note is an octave lower.

Upshift then try? :)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Haha thank you for your help :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

knox_harrington posted:

I hate to interrupt an engineering argument to comment on a photo someone posted of their bike in the post photos of your bike thread, but welcome to the Scrambler club.

Never, ever leave it off the battery tender.