Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I wouldn't call it a "parallel" per se, but I doubt the show runners are ignorant of a very highly publicized murder and it has a direct thematic relevance.

And when Blue Hawk kills people he swoops out of the sky, is the show commenting on drone warfare?

I see the parallel that you and other goons are drawing here, but The Boys isn't a subtle show. When the show wanted to draw a parallel between Starlight and Britney Spears it did it twice in the same episode[1] and used repeated audio and visual motifs to make their point. Really on the nose audio and visual motifs. IMO if the show wanted you to think about Byrd Jr. they'd have used his name, or made some other implicit allusion to back the image up.

[1] arguably the two most load bearing locations in the episode too -- the end of the cold open and the end of the episode.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Open Source Idiom posted:

And when Blue Hawk kills people he swoops out of the sky, is the show commenting on drone warfare?

I see the parallel that you and other goons are drawing here, but The Boys isn't a subtle show. When the show wanted to draw a parallel between Starlight and Britney Spears it did it twice in the same episode[1] and used repeated audio and visual motifs to make their point. Really on the nose audio and visual motifs. IMO if the show wanted you to think about Byrd Jr. they'd have used his name, or made some other implicit allusion to back the image up.

[1] arguably the two most load bearing locations in the episode too -- the end of the cold open and the end of the episode.

I don't think it's a very sophisticated message or necessarily fully realized but "black man road hauls a racist cop" inherently has political and thematic resonance. Even if we have an explicit statement of authorial intent to the contrary, it still is saying something that is going to affect people.

Dawg that's like trying to deny that art exists as a concept.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
A racist is killed by a black man in a very graphic way that mirrors an infamous murder method used by racists against black people

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

if the show wanted you to think about Byrd Jr. they'd have used his name,

Byrd/Hawk?

(I am not seriously suggesting this was a thing, you just made me think of it)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I suspect the writers are not making a connection, as said up thread there are only so many ways to do over the top gore.

If the writers were thinking of Byrd it is either story relevant and just poorly done or it's not story relevant and someone asked "we need a cool new kill" and someone responded "oh, so I heard about this cool death in Jasper, TX"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

JossiRossi posted:

there are only so many ways to do over the top gore.

Yeah, it's not like there are multiple genres of just that going back years and years in cinema alone.

A loving barren wasteland of ideas, super-powered violence is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it was intended but I thought of the Byrd murder during that scene.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It looks like the Kabal fatality from MK11 almost exactly. When looking it up since it's been a bit one of the first autofill results is now "kabal fatality a train".

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
How do a trains shoes not disintegrate?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

tokin opposition posted:

How do a trains shoes not disintegrate?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

He has vought made football studs on them and he just gets a new pair when they run out,boom! Next question.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

Made of the same stuff that homelandera cape is made of, which can withstand the tension from being pulled by a superhumon

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

If it comes up as part of his probate that he went through literally dozens of shoes a week, it'd be pretty funny.

He has hundreds of hundreds of shoes stored up in his house but it's not a fashion thing, it's just part of his normal stock of consumables.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

If it comes up as part of his probate that he went through literally dozens of shoes a week, it'd be pretty funny.

He has hundreds of hundreds of shoes stored up in his house but it's not a fashion thing, it's just part of his normal stock of consumables.

And he just keeps getting sent more and more shows in order to keep up the lie that he's still running. His house packed with thousands and thousands of A Train branded shoes.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1542195993348898816

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

well friend, if you'll entertainment me for a moment, id like to talk to you about the history and mechanisms of trains

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

I appreciate that twitter and youtube replies to all vought international stuff are mostly people pretending they live in The Boys universe

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

loving hysterical women, amirite

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you can really feel the moment highlander takes over the keyboard

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh no! They've lost the coveted 18-35 demographic!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

That DICK! posted:

you can really feel the moment highlander takes over the keyboard

Well you're right that there can be only one, but you're still thinking of the wrong 'lander

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

OctaMurk posted:

I appreciate that twitter and youtube replies to all vought international stuff are mostly people pretending they live in The Boys universe

Yeah, I don't know how or where the trend started but I think it's neat that fans collectively decided to be part of the kayfabe.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
#VoughtLiedPeopleDied

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

#IStandWithStarlight

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

pik_d posted:

Well you're right that there can be only one, but you're still thinking of the wrong 'lander

gently caress, i love highlander

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Eau de MacGowan posted:

loving hysterical women, amirite

If she's making these kinds of accusations simply because her relationship ended, I'm not sure what else to call it? Psychotic I suppose, if you prefer that.

It really sucks either way, because Starlight honestly was my favorite on the Seven :sigh: I trust Homelander to deal with this the right way of course, but yeah, it's a bummer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Do y'all think that DC Comics exist in The Boys universe, and by extension the Justice League?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

That DICK! posted:

gently caress, i love highlander

That reminds me, apparently Henry Cavill is involved in a remake. Defintiely cautious optimism there

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They should've added a cgi mustache to Homelander for the clips from the first episode.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

pik_d posted:

#IStandWithStarlight

#HomeSlander

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
My personal favorite is that the actual Blondie Rapture video on youtube is filled comments from people who watched the Boys.

As Nero Danced posted:

That reminds me, apparently Henry Cavill is involved in a remake. Defintiely cautious optimism there

He's really living the dream isn't he? He's Superman, he's Geralt of Rivia, he was Sherlock Holmes, he's going to be the Highlander.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

mcbexx posted:

#HomeSlander

Oh this is good I hope they use this.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
What if it was homieslammer and it was only for the fellas with the fellas?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

cant wait for cool adam to join the seven

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

January insurrectionist

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jedit posted:

In the comics Becca dies when her baby uses laser eye beams to perform a self-Caesarean from the inside and Butcher beats it to death. So there's no equivalent storyline.

Metal :black101:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Morrow posted:

He's really living the dream isn't he? He's Superman, he's Geralt of Rivia, he was Sherlock Holmes, he's going to be the Highlander.

His dreams will only be complete when he gets to star in a Warhammer 40k movie.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Habibi posted:

Put me on the other side of this perspective, because answering the questions you pose abovr would IMO make for a fascinating half season, at the very least. What the gently caress does Homelander do? How does he survive? Where does he go? You could go the Vought puppet route someone described, or a number of other ways that involve him having to deal with the harsh realities of life as a human, but hot drat it would make for great and tense TV.

I don’t think they’ll depower him but I do think they’ll make the subtext text and have him run for president. I don’t see how else they keep up the arc of his ego escalating.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I don’t think, given what we’ve seen in the show, that running for President (and subjugating himself to the will of the untermensch) would fit in his worldview.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
although lmao at "I want to be universally loved, but how? I know! I'll run for office."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

I don’t think, given what we’ve seen in the show, that running for President (and subjugating himself to the will of the untermensch) would fit in his worldview.

Him being President could be what leads to Vic the Veep.