Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

OP isn't even given any 'well I told some jokes and for some reason nobody laughed' or 'I was completely calm as I explained to the girlfriend's dad why his race was a problem' vibes in his story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pentyne posted:

Kind of curious what that means. The kinds of people who can afford to buy multiple houses and work in Manhattan aren't likely to be typical 'blue-collar' workers that are stereotyped as embarrassments.

It sounds like either a race/politics thing and there's no way of knowing who's in the right, but the whole in-laws moving in before the wedding is weird as poo poo so they clearly aren't a 0.1% rich family looking down on the typical upper class.

Yeah that tripped me up too. It's totally the way a rich family would dismiss the poorer ones but Daddy Two-House doesn't sound like he's struggling. If it's race you'd think they wouldn't be moving into the house either. Strange one all around.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Every time I start the class I kick the door open and lead in with "sup fuckwits?"

It's the most inclusive greeting so far for the reasons below:

If they're a fuckwit, job done.
If they think they're not a fuckwit, but don't say anything? Well, you'd have to be some sort of fuckwit to just let someone insult you like that.
If they get upset and complain, who would complain about their teacher trying to use an inclusive greeting?
That's right

A complete fuckwit

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If the house is in rural or suburban PA (which many colleges are) the in laws are probably blue collar conservative and see the OP's family as rich snobs. But if their plan was to leech off the rich kid it doesn't seem like it's going to work out so great for them!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

Kind of curious what that means. The kinds of people who can afford to buy multiple houses and work in Manhattan aren't likely to be typical 'blue-collar' workers that are stereotyped as embarrassments.

It sounds like either a race/politics thing and there's no way of knowing who's in the right, but the whole in-laws moving in before the wedding is weird as poo poo so they clearly aren't a 0.1% rich family looking down on the typical upper class.

My guess is politics and the OP are MAGA chuds or Qultists.

I guess it could be the other way around, but I feel, perhaps wrongly, that a liberal family is more likely to ban a republican from their home versus the other way around?

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 29, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Canuckistan posted:

Well that would make it much less funny, so I chose not to believe it

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

If you want to feel for the other side, OP is the landlord and thus should be put in a vat.

Or assume his wife or his daughter said something racist/homophobic/anti-MAGA or otherwise divisive and while the land not now being part of their family is a bit of a surprise, to not invite someone that has enough money to own two properties to their own son's wedding seems odd.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Electric Wrigglies posted:

If you want to feel for the other side, OP is the landlord and thus should be put in a vat.

I wouldn't call OP a landlord. He charged no rent and he put the house up for sale as soon as it wasn't needed anymore (lol). That's pretty much the opposite of a parasitic landlord.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Dazerbeams posted:

Hasn’t this thread established dude as an all inclusive term?

Go ask a straight man how many dudes he's had sex with.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for not stopping my husband from yodeling every time my MIL asks me about having a baby?

quote:

I (27F) am married to my husband (28M) who we'll call Keith. We've been married 3 years now. My MIL, who we'll call Beth, and I have never had the best relationship and at times we've gone low contact because of it. She has never wished me a happy birthday, or gotten me any kind of present that wasn't an attachment of my husbands, she refused to come to any big events for me (like I got my Master's last year and she said it wasn't a big enough deal to drive an hour to celebrate), and things of that nature. I've grown to just have thick skin but also my husband normally handles everything for me. He very much is my bodyguard around her and stops her every time she tries to say anything. But it has never stopped her much anyway.

Beth's new big thing is kids. She has wanted us to have a baby since before we were married. She has an older son who is unmarried and will probably never have kids so she always tells Keith that he is her "last hope of true happiness" and always tries to bribe us into kids. Last year she told us if we got pregnant that she would buy us a house.... and she meant it. This woman WANTS a grand baby. However, it's gotten to the point where it's all she talks about. She never asks me about work, my hobbies, my family or anything now- she basically only talks to me about children. My husband and I want kids, just on our own time.

This started really upsetting it and it made my husband angry. Something to know: my husband jokingly learned how to yodel when he was in high school. Yodel is loose term too, it's more he makes a loud obnoxious sound for a long period of time and calls it yodeling. A couple months ago when we saw his parents, Beth started to make a baby comment again and he got so irritated he just started to loudly yodel. It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen and immediately shut her up. Ever since, he does it EVERY TIME she asks about a kid.

This is where I might be TA. We went out for his parents anniversary at a very nice restaurant. It was just his immediate family (parents, brother, Keith, me) and beforehand he told him mom very nicely we would really appreciate no baby talk. Well, she didn't care and thought because we were somewhere nice my husband wouldn't yodel... and she was wrong. He did it for so loud and so long that everyone in the restaurant was staring by the end. It embarrassed her so badly she almost started crying.

His dad thinks we are major AH's for ruining their anniversary dinner and we could have just ignored her. My husband feels justified in what he did and his brother doesn't really care. I mostly feel bad because I should have stopped this awhile ago and made us talk like adults, but it's just never worked in the past, and I feel really bad about ruining her dinner. AITA?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

that’s an entirely inappropriate way to refer to the professor of your course I will need to speak with you after class. So disrespectful

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nae posted:

That's cute and I'm glad for them, but I absolutely cannot hear the word 'folks' without a loop of Obama saying 'We tortured some folks' playing in my head

Oh yeah, we did, but not in, like, a bigoted way.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for not stopping my husband from yodeling every time my MIL asks me about having a baby?

NTA That is amazing and I need to learn how to do that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

:bisonyes:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

NTA That is amazing and I need to learn how to do that.

Anyone can yodel, as long as you have faith

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Sisal Two-Step posted:

"I was just wondering: you guys have been married for 4 years, when are you going to be responsible and have some chil-"

"YODELLLLLLLLLLEYYYYHEEEEHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Solenna posted:

Go ask a straight man how many dudes he's had sex with.

Men who have sex with men is a whole thing involving a lot of self-identifying heterosexual guys.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for insisting my boyfriend swap his plate of pizza with mine, after he cut our portions unevenly?

quote:

This is a running theme within our relationship and I'm furious about it now.

It happens so often, we spend 50/50 on food etc, and he portions it up. I end up with less than him, or less 'tasty' bits like chicken, duck etc.

Yesterday he put a pizza in the oven, and whenever I sort the pizza, I open it and spread the cheese out on the top so both of us have cheese on our slices. It tends to come with all the cheese accumulated on one half, because of how it's stored in the store i guess.

He put it straight in with all the cheese on one half, and then served me the half with literally minimal flecks of cheese, which he had two heavily loaded cheesy bits.

I snapped and insisted we swap plates, so i got the slices covered in cheese and he got the tomato bread.

AITA here?

i think i'd be pretty pissed the first time i had to do "divide and choose" with a grown-rear end adult who claimed to care about me. it would not get to the point of being a "running theme"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

I guess it could be the other way around, but I feel, perhaps wrongly, that a liberal family is more likely to ban a republican from their home versus the other way around?

Yeah most plausible explanation is he's one of the chuds who can keep it in his pants when it suits him (if it was about race or being a dirty single-digit-property-owning peasant wouldn't they have figured it out long ago and ditched the son?), but that just raises the question of if they know to not go heiling Hitler in mixed company what the hell happened at the barbecue???

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Why don’t they rearrange the cheese before cooking it??? What the gently caress.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

monkeytennis posted:

Why don’t they rearrange the cheese before cooking it??? What the gently caress.

'cuz then you can't put your gf in her place by giving her the half without cheese

also lol, this guy's a real catch:

OP posted:

I feel this. I do think he's considerate with some things, but he also does things like buy way under our agreed present budget for gifts so we agree $100, I spend $100 and he spends $60 without any explanation.

He says 'let's get you something nice from this shop', 'shall we get you this', but then doesn't get out his wallet when i get to the checkout so i... get buy the something nice for myself...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Canuckistan posted:

I'll throw in my two cents here and say the in-laws are part of a religious cult, like some weird evangelicals or something. It's annoying how the OP just left a bunch of details out and doesn't seem to be commenting though.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bad news everyone no one!

I'm sorry for not knowing about the estranged parents ban. Please accept a six-month-old AITA with an obvious answer and no update.

AITA for not giving back child support $$?

quote:

My exH is $20k in arrears for my daughter (11) but has another daughter (18) from a previous relationship. Her mom had asked him for extra money for something specific & so he paid “extra” toward child support a few days ago for her, but since it was over the amount ordered, it apparently defaulted to my daughter. Now they want the money back. AITA for saying it’s not my problem? I feel sort of guilty but he’s always sending her daughter extra money & I never ask for anything. They are ordered about the same amount per month, but I almost never get anything since he’s dodged it every way he can until very recently because of a warrant against him. Thanks in advance.

And this one was deleted but the title is good enough on its own: AITA for needing some space over a fart?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

'cuz then you can't put your gf in her place by giving her the half without cheese

also lol, this guy's a real catch:

Man I know it's too easy to make sweeping judgments on these short writeups, but once again: people know they don't have to just chug along indefinitely in a relationship like this, right? ...right?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for getting mad at my dad for bringing his girlfriend to my graduation?

quote:

Info: My(22F) dad(52m) has a girlfriend “Tara”(29F) who he recently started dating, and to put it simply I don’t like her. To paint a picture, she can be described as a stereotypical blonde bimbo that’s had plastic surgeries. Their relationship makes me uncomfortable mostly because she’s only a couple years older than me.

On Friday, I had my college graduation where I was allowed to bring 6 guests. I invited my two grandparents, mom, dad, and younger brother which made 5 guests. A couple days before the ceremony I called my dad to give him details on the day and I mentioned who was coming, etc. During this conversation, I tell him that I do not want Tara to come. Everyone gets there early, and to my surprise my dad shows up with Tara. I didn’t say anything at the moment because I didn’t want to ruin the day for everyone else. None of them had met Tara so it made things a little awkward.

Later, after the ceremony and my other family leaves I pull my dad aside and go off about how he had no business bringing Tara when I specifically asked him not to. He said that he figured I wouldn’t have an issue with it since there was an extra ticket. I told him that her, an almost complete stranger, being in the pictures ruined them and that I was not going to dinner with them afterwards. He called me “ungrateful” and said that he had the right to bring her because he helped me out financially through school.

So, AITA for blowing up at my dad because he brought his girlfriend to my graduation without my permission?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for getting mad at my dad for bringing his girlfriend to my graduation?

quote:

During this conversation, I tell him that I do not want Tara to come.

quote:

Later, after the ceremony and my other family leaves I pull my dad aside and go off about how he had no business bringing Tara when I specifically asked him not to. He said that he figured I wouldn’t have an issue with it since there was an extra ticket.
Yeah, I mean, she only told you she didn't want your girlfriend there, how were you to know that she didn't want your girlfriend there? You're not a mind-reader! What, listen to your daughter? After you helped her out financially for all this time?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

there's only one way to greet a class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3elVe9Mlh8

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

trickybiscuits posted:

I'm sorry for not knowing about the estranged parents ban. Please accept a six-month-old AITA with an obvious answer and no update.

AITA for not giving back child support $$?

Yikes

quote:

It won’t affect my life one way or another except if I gave the money back, he would owe my daughter less because as far as the courts are concerned, he already paid me that money & it cannot be reversed.
I can’t say that I’m not afraid of him. I always will be. I probably shouldn’t be, though.
The other mom in a passive aggressive way told me the extra money was meant for her daughter. She would never outright ask me for it. But it was very clear that she wanted me to know the money was meant for her daughter for a formal dress. She didn’t say anything after I told her that he’s $20k in arrears. & he was smart enough to not try to contact me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trickybiscuits posted:

And this one was deleted but the title is good enough on its own: AITA for needing some space over a fart?

Important info: your fart or theirs?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
AITA for not allowing my (f36) daughter (f18) to go study abroad

quote:

I recently found out that my daughter, Nina, is planning on going to college in another country, on another continent. I was floored. I haven’t heard about her trying or applying and she was even accepted in local college.

Apparently, she’s applied ages ago and confirmed her place and had the audacity to hide it from me and just told me this week. I quiestioned how it’s possible they didn’t need any of my financial information and she told me she didn’t have to have my permission nor my financial data that she got full ride scholarship, grant to cover her accommodation and she’ll work part time to earn living. I told her that absolutely not and that she doesn’t even speak the language. Well, she told me that apparently she taught herself Andy had even obtained a certificate confirming it because she would’ve been accepted otherwise.

The audacity. So many lies.

I told her I absolutely forbid her from going ahroad, that it’s dangerous and she’s out of her mind and that I’m not letting her go. She to,d me that I don’t have a choice, she already has tickets (I tried to find them and destroy or cancel but I think she has them on her email and it’s not the one I know), accommodation sorted and she’s going.

I argued that she has perfectly good college lined up and continued trying to convince her but she accused me of not caring what she does normally d that if i listened to her it wouldn’t come as a surprise but i ignored her. I told her she’s being disrespectful Andy sent her to her room. She hasn’t been talking to me since and started packing her room and making list of things. I threaten to kic’ her out but she’s not buckling.

My sister told me I was a major rear end in a top hat and I told my sister that she’s (f24) too young to makethat kind of a judgment because she doesn’t have kids. AITA for not allowing my daughter to study abroad?

I figure this doesn't break the "estranged parents" rule because we're more at a pre-estrangement period. Just lo loving l.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
“If you move out of this house I’ll kick you out of this house!” :raise:

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

DeeplyConcerned posted:

*sigh* Yeah I've been in the acid vat business for 43 years. made right here in the USA, all by hand. but I'm thinking of closing up shop. I just can't compete with the cheap, factory-assembled Chinese vats anymore.

now I hear people are trying to solve their relationship problems by launching them into space. call me sentimental, but there's just no warmth to that. not like yeeting a deadbeat dad into the vat and watching him writhe and boil. or dumping the whole vat onto a bridezilla like a game show contestant.

I had a client the other day who wanted me to launch her mother-in-law into the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy. I told her even if I could reach the center of the galaxy, there's tons of poo poo orbiting that hole and there's no way she's even going to get close, much less get MIL across the event horizon. last I heard she's working with Elon Musk.

maybe I'm just too old for this business.

I'm four pages back, but I giggled like a fuckin idiot at this

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solkanar512 posted:

I figure this doesn't break the "estranged parents" rule because we're more at a pre-estrangement period. Just lo loving l.

Who the gently caress's Andy?!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Who the gently caress's Andy?!

Scratch that, it’s probably supposed to be ‘and’ but given the rest of the way she types…

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Does no one else find it alarming that she apparently has access to her daughter's email?

That kid is 100% running to the hills as soon as she can for really good reasons.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 29, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Does no one else find it alarming that she apparently has access to her daughter's email?

Think there's a reason she's moving to a completely different continent buddy

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

I feel like this has a lot of missing backstory

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Solkanar512 posted:

Welp that's it lady, your time is up. If she had any sense she would spend that time buttering up her kid in the hope that she might make the list to receive a wedding invite or birth announcement. As it stands she'd better get ready to talk about the daughter she used to have

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I feel like "audacity" is another one of those telling words, like "disrespect". Unless they're talking about the audio editing software, but I've yet to see that come up in an r/relationships post.

Good on the daughter for putting in the work to put an ocean between her and her insane parent, though.

e: Also how the hell do you type kic' instead of kick??

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
She's probably signing up to be a globetrotting secret agent considering she was able to hide all of this from a mother who doesn't seem to have the meanest sense of boundaries or respect for privacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Solkanar512 posted:

I can't believe that little backstabber, teaching herself Andy!