Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It's weird how these shows kinda just unravel completely when they try to become Marvel movies. I had hopes Ms. Marvel would be different but after such a messy episode, I'm expecting a return to form for episode 5 and then a bloated ending like almost every one of the D+ shows. They really gotta learn to reign it in a bit, the flow of episode 4 was just a mess and the villains are just lame as hell - the show would be 10x better without any world-threatening crisis at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Firebert posted:

the show would be 10x better without any world-threatening crisis at all.

yeah, they hinted at a world ending threat last episode and now we have a brand new world ending threat in this episode and c'mon sometimes a hero's story can just be something small

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Like...our hero already has obstacles and adversity in her life already! She's a brown teenage girl in America! She is constantly butting heads with her mother over generational trauma, struggling with becoming an adult and figuring out what she wants to do after high school! That's enough!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This episode had some of the most exciting chase sequences of Marvel history.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Not to reopen old wounds, but I finally saw Everything Everywhere All At Once today and holy poo poo does Multiverse of Madness (which I hated) look even lower effort than before. Yeah yeah, been there and done that on that discussion, but holy poo poo that a movie which had to wholesale invent all its multiverses was infinitely more creative than a movie which could just use any of the existing Marvel multiverses and decided to pick just two of the most boring ones. That 30 second montage in MoM? That's half the film in EEAAO. And they made that without the Disney money.

But for real, please go and see EEAAO in theatres if you still have the chance because we need to encourage more films like this to be made. Lots of films make me laugh. Lots of films make me cry. Very few have me doing both at the same time on multiple occasions.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I'm a bit disappointed in this episode for reasons others have said. Feels rushed, without the characters we've gotten used and the Clan Destined escape was super lame.

I'm upset at the threat being world-ending. I would've really liked the whole series to be Kamala coming to terms with her heritage and powers in Jersey while battling some local "street-level" threat.

I stopped reading Ms Marvel when they started shoving her into every cosmic and bullshit event because she was popular. Sad to see this process is getting fast forwarded in the MCU.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Not to reopen old wounds, but I finally saw Everything Everywhere All At Once today and holy poo poo does Multiverse of Madness (which I hated) look even lower effort than before. Yeah yeah, been there and done that on that discussion, but holy poo poo that a movie which had to wholesale invent all its multiverses was infinitely more creative than a movie which could just use any of the existing Marvel multiverses and decided to pick just two of the most boring ones. That 30 second montage in MoM? That's half the film in EEAAO. And they made that without the Disney money.

But for real, please go and see EEAAO in theatres if you still have the chance because we need to encourage more films like this to be made. Lots of films make me laugh. Lots of films make me cry. Very few have me doing both at the same time on multiple occasions.

they are different types of movies and they do not compare in any way except for having "multiverse" as a setting. Everything is not a comic book action movie, the action in that movie is enterally incidental to the story it's trying to tell. Stop comparing them.

But yes, you can and should buy EEAAO on prime video if it's not in theaters because it is a wonderful film and made me happy cry.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
This felt like two good episodes that got smashed together and chopped down for time. Still acceptable TV, but the past 3 episodes set a high bar. Still a fun watch a superior to most other D+ shows. Hopefully, they rushed the exposition in this episode to allow a better pace for the last two.

If this were show just about a Muslim-American family dealing with generational trauma and the reconciliation of mothers and daughters, I’d still watch it.

Wait. poo poo. Mum is over seas. Who’s feeding Bruno?!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I want more Zoe. How are they supposed to fall in love, if she's not even around all that much?

Did they fall in love? I thought she gently lets her down and they simply become besties instead and Zoe eventually finds someone else...

Admittedly, I checked out after GWW left the book, does it happen later on?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
still not sold on the villains and agree that they escaped way too easily, but I enjoyed this episode a lot and didn't really have a problem with the change of setting, new characters, or pacing, and I've criticized the pacing of a lot of Marvel shows. ymmv though

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Dumb thought that just occurred to me about TV Kamala’s ‘hard light’ powers. She should be able travel great distances using her powers to create a ‘light sled’ like Iceman does with his ice powers, right?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That could have saved the heel turn for this episode. Have Kamala dig into her past because she's wary of trusting these people she's just met. Then these other secretive dudes with red scarves start telling her the horrible consequences of helping the djinn. How can she know who to trust??? Oh, probably not the dudes who just kicked the door in and tried to murder everyone.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think I might be one of the ppl here who thought this was an improvement. Yes, the action sucks. Yes, the bad guys are lame/almost hilarously unthreatening. But unlike the last ep, it showed a really cool setting I hadn't seen before and some interesting new family dynamics. Karachi as a setting is something I haven't seen before, and its apparent it was depicted by people familiar with it. It felt real, and interesting, and honestly enticing. So yeah this ep got me based on it being a travelogue I'd see on Discovery or something.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Shageletic posted:

I think I might be one of the ppl here who thought this was an improvement. Yes, the action sucks. Yes, the bad guys are lame/almost hilarously unthreatening. But unlike the last ep, it showed a really cool setting I hadn't seen before and some interesting new family dynamics. Karachi as a setting is something I haven't seen before, and its apparent it was depicted by people familiar with it. It felt real, and interesting, and honestly enticing. So yeah this ep got me based on it being a travelogue I'd see on Discovery or something.

I thought the action was pretty good :(

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Sorry to interrupt Ms. Marvel chat but my girlfriend and I are watching What If? and I just noticed in the Star T'Challah episode that the ship is named the Mandela instead of the Milano which was a fun detail.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The action was really good this episode.

And yeah, I loved seeing a new setting that I've never seen before. I'm loving all of this diving into culture that I'm severely uneducated on. More shows need to be like this.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

yeah, they hinted at a world ending threat last episode and now we have a brand new world ending threat in this episode and c'mon sometimes a hero's story can just be something small

gently caress it. It's Marvel. They invented the plural of apocalypse way before Buffy. Plus, I'm completely okay with watching this particular brown girl from Jersey save the world.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Dumb thought that just occurred to me about TV Kamala’s ‘hard light’ powers. She should be able travel great distances using her powers to create a ‘light sled’ like Iceman does with his ice powers, right?

Maybe? Still, Kamala does seem to exert some effort/energy to use her powers. Assuming she could eventually move as fast as a commercial airliner (up to 575 mph) with no more effort than a light jog, according to Google that's 16 hours and 50 minutes straight of "light jogging" to get from Newark, New Jersey to Karachi, Pakistan. At that point just take the plane. You get to sit down, drink way over-priced club soda and otherwise be out of the elements for that time.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

kazil posted:

I thought the action was pretty good :(

The action on Ms.Marvel is stronger than most Marvel projects.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sentinel Red posted:

Did they fall in love? I thought she gently lets her down and they simply become besties instead and Zoe eventually finds someone else...

Admittedly, I checked out after GWW left the book, does it happen later on?

No, as best as I can recall that is some head canon poo poo. Zoe's unrequited crush in the comic is on Nakia anyway.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It took 4 episodes to get to the first major action set piece and there was a lot to like in it, but the action sequence was edited and shot by the team that did the Bourne Identity on meth.

SMASH CUT
SHAKY CAM
SMASH CUT
.5 SECOND PAN TO REACTION
SMASH CUT
SHAKY CAM
CUT TO OTHER SCENE
SMASH CUT BACK TO ORIGINAL SCENE
SHAKY CAM DURING AN EARTHQUAKE
SMASH CUT
EVERYONE IS DEAD.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Everyone posted:

gently caress it. It's Marvel. They invented the plural of apocalypse way before Buffy. Plus, I'm completely okay with watching this particular brown girl from Jersey save the world.

Maybe? Still, Kamala does seem to exert some effort/energy to use her powers. Assuming she could eventually move as fast as a commercial airliner (up to 575 mph) with no more effort than a light jog, according to Google that's 16 hours and 50 minutes straight of "light jogging" to get from Newark, New Jersey to Karachi, Pakistan. At that point just take the plane. You get to sit down, drink way over-priced club soda and otherwise be out of the elements for that time.

You make a very good point and I should have been more precise in what I was thinking of concerning 'great distances'. I'm talking from like Jersey City to Manhattan (8.6 miles). This would be her version of "webslinging" to get around town quick. Comics Kamala can make her legs real long so she can run across town fast, right? Same idea.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I WAS WONDERING WHY SHE DIDN'T JUST THROW UP A WALL in front of the bus. oops caps

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

swickles posted:

Sorry to interrupt Ms. Marvel chat but my girlfriend and I are watching What If? and I just noticed in the Star T'Challah episode that the ship is named the Mandela instead of the Milano which was a fun detail.

In this universe everybody loves Alyssa Mandela

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It seemed pretty obvious that she wasn’t trying to use her powers during the car chase because she doesn’t want the entire city to find out she has them

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

You make a very good point and I should have been more precise in what I was thinking of concerning 'great distances'. I'm talking from like Jersey City to Manhattan (8.6 miles). This would be her version of "webslinging" to get around town quick. Comics Kamala can make her legs real long so she can run across town fast, right? Same idea.

I recall creating a character for the old TSR Marvel system with one of his abilities being Flight via a set of creepy-looking wings. The wings were basically a construct like Kamala's stuff using "hard dark" instead of hard light. Maybe if she gets a little more experience/control, Kamala could eventually do the winged thing.

Soonmot posted:

I WAS WONDERING WHY SHE DIDN'T JUST THROW UP A WALL in front of the bus. oops caps

Because most of Kamala's constructs don't seems especially large or robust. I mean several of them were disrupted by a dude throwing knives at them. If she put up a wall, the truck would likely just bust right through it (like it was busting through everything else). So, after a bit of concentration she made a ramp instead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As others have said, there's like three episodes' worth of material in just this one. Now we're doing some kind of time travel thing with only two episodes left?

One major thing that's been bothering me about this show so far are the villains. It just seemed a bit much that they introduced these characters and also had them do the heel turn within the same episode. Then here, they manage to break out of some kind of supermax facility, get out of the US, get all the way to Pakistan, and immediately find their enemies' secret HQ in like a matter of hours. That's way too much. I feel like there has to have been a better way to approach these characters than speedrun them straight to villainy and murder.

The action in this show has been pretty lackluster compared to something like Moon Knight, which I think pulled it off better. There's something about how Kamala's light powers look onscreen that just doesn't seem quite right and makes it look like of cheap compared to the films. Which I'm sure is just budgetary constraint. However, we saw a similar problem in that first trailer for She-Hulk so this isn't new.

99% of this show is riding on the main cast

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kiminewt posted:

I'm a bit disappointed in this episode for reasons others have said. Feels rushed, without the characters we've gotten used and the Clan Destined escape was super lame.

I'm upset at the threat being world-ending. I would've really liked the whole series to be Kamala coming to terms with her heritage and powers in Jersey while battling some local "street-level" threat.

I stopped reading Ms Marvel when they started shoving her into every cosmic and bullshit event because she was popular. Sad to see this process is getting fast forwarded in the MCU.

To be fair the threat is more presented as world-ending. Figure what actually happens if the CDs start tearing down the barrier (and Kamala doesn't stop them in the nick of time) is that Dr. Strange and Wong show up to magically bitch-slap the lot of Clan Destine into the Great Red Spot of Jupiter or something. Clan Destine is a way for our brown girl from Jersey to save the world at the skill/power level she is right now.

FlamingLiberal posted:

As others have said, there's like three episodes' worth of material in just this one. Now we're doing some kind of time travel thing with only two episodes left?

One major thing that's been bothering me about this show so far are the villains. It just seemed a bit much that they introduced these characters and also had them do the heel turn within the same episode. Then here, they manage to break out of some kind of supermax facility, get out of the US, get all the way to Pakistan, and immediately find their enemies' secret HQ in like a matter of hours. That's way too much. I feel like there has to have been a better way to approach these characters than speedrun them straight to villainy and murder.

The action in this show has been pretty lackluster compared to something like Moon Knight, which I think pulled it off better. There's something about how Kamala's light powers look onscreen that just doesn't seem quite right and makes it look like of cheap compared to the films. Which I'm sure is just budgetary constraint. However, we saw a similar problem in that first trailer for She-Hulk so this isn't new.

99% of this show is riding on the main cast

Damage Control is the kind of "hard people, hard choices" face of the Security State which is actually just deeply lovely at their supposed jobs. Clan Destineprobably has quite a bit of money/resources/contacts/etc. Plus they've probably got something like a Lojack on the Bangle or can otherwise know where it is when it's being used.. But you're basically right. One problem Marvel is having right now is understanding the difference between a movie and TV show. They've mostly been making 4.5 hour movies and cutting them into six pieces. This show really need to be maybe 8-10 episode to give it a chance to breath some. A little filler/side-tracking isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I miss the main support characters too but I also like the ones they introduced in this episode. This show's major strength is in its character writing (outside of the villains which I agree are lackluster).

The show definitely could use another episode or two to let the Marvel part of the story be more developed.

Edit: Didn't a lot of people bitch about Wandavision being so slow to start up? I seem to remember that. I wonder if that's why Disney isn't letting these shows breath more.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Viridiant posted:

I miss the main support characters too but I also like the ones they introduced in this episode. This show's major strength is in its character writing (outside of the villains which I agree are lackluster).

The show definitely could use another episode or two to let the Marvel part of the story be more developed.

Edit: Didn't a lot of people bitch about Wandavision being so slow to start up? I seem to remember that. I wonder if that's why Disney isn't letting these shows breath more.

IIRC most WV episode were basically 30 (22?) minutes (like a sitcom). At 9 episodes or so with a couple of expanded episodes, WV likely clocked about the same amount of content as the other Marvel series.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tuk-tuk chase ruled, but I agree that this was the weakest episode so far.

I guess it really is just a 6-part origin story, with not getting to see her in the full costume until the very end.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wait. poo poo. Mum is over seas. Who’s feeding Bruno?!

Did you forget about the Hostesstm Fruit Pies?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I liked how literally nobody reacted to the superhero fights. I choose to believe that is how people act on Marvel Earth now -- "oh poo poo, is that a fight? Wait, at least one of them's wearing a mask, it's just superhero nonsense. Back to my shopping."

Sockser posted:

She bought her domino mask at the bazaar, right? That's the implication? That's a weird like, 5 second scene to choose not to show, that would probably have been fun vs keeping in the polaroid guy, which... felt weird and unnecessary and then didn't lead to anything because she just popped up at the train station anyway (also she has a phone)

And I have no sense of the time scale of this episode
Go out to brunch? meet up with cousins for afternoon shopping, go meet red daggers, go home to see Nani, go back out at night to red daggers campfire (there's an outfit change so probably a different day?), come home for toffee, go back to red dagger HQ the next day for training, that's when the Clandestines show up
Like is this three days? A week?
Isn't Kamala in deep poo poo with her mom, but then she's just running around uncollared the whole time?
Bruno gave her the mask last episode, the polaroid guy was fleecing the American but still gave valid directions, just in I'm-a-local-this-city-is-confusing-that's-the-joke-ese, and: brunch happens around noon, afternoon shopping is after that, meet red daggers is quite explicitly minutes after shopping because we see Kamala split off to go to the train station, going home for dinner happens in the evening, go back out at night is after dinner and there's an outfit change because a teenage girl is going to hang out with a cute boy and his friends at a campfire at night, next day they go back to red dagger HQ. Kamala had a busy day.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
The action scenes are so loving bad in this show, the enemies are like C grade villains that wouldn’t have made it onto agents of shield, and the writing is pretty meh.

Its really carried on the strength of the concept which is cool af and the leads.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teacup posted:

The action scenes are so loving bad in this show, the enemies are like C grade villains that wouldn’t have made it onto agents of shield, and the writing is pretty meh.

Its really carried on the strength of the concept which is cool af and the leads.

Kamala's a bit of a living "sky-beam" throwing slightly goofy-looking CGI around and the villains... are villains that could realistically get beaten by a newbie 16 year old superhero who throws goofy CGI around. gently caress it, the concept is still great and the leads, especially Iman Vellani, are even better. I can forgive a bunch for all that.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
i was really impressed that they did a 100% new credits sequence on this one

just a real flex is what that is, curious which version(s) will get used for the last two episodes

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Ms. Marvel is following the bones of Spiderman Homecoming(High school based hijinks leading up to a big party, parent of crush revealed as villain) and Far From Home(High school based protagonist goes to foreign location, light tourism/hijinks ensue), but with different characters. The final episodes will clearly be the speedrun of No Way Home. I predict we will see no less than 5 Kamala Khan's, trying to capture villains on the order of Captain Marvel.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

teacup posted:

It is weird the show goes out of it's way to show the villains getting clowned on by everyone. Like just regular humans can kick the poo poo of out them.

The DODC stuff was real dumb too. Especially with Kamala's mom saying how she ruined the wedding. Like did they not see a bunch of federal agents arresting half a dozen people who wrecked the venue? But no, it was the fire alarm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Undead Hippo posted:

Ms. Marvel is following the bones of Spiderman Homecoming(High school based hijinks leading up to a big party, parent of crush revealed as villain) and Far From Home(High school based protagonist goes to foreign location, light tourism/hijinks ensue), but with different characters. The final episodes will clearly be the speedrun of No Way Home. I predict we will see no less than 5 Kamala Khan's, trying to capture villains on the order of Captain Marvel.
Ok I’m glad you brought this up, because it also occurred to me last night that this show so far has felt like a mashup of Homecoming and Far From Home

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

It is weird the show goes out of it's way to show the villains getting clowned on by everyone. Like just regular humans can kick the poo poo of out them.

The DODC stuff was real dumb too. Especially with Kamala's mom saying how she ruined the wedding. Like did they not see a bunch of federal agents arresting half a dozen people who wrecked the venue? But no, it was the fire alarm.

the red daggers are as much regular humans as the hand are. They're a martial order formed to fight extradimensional beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teacup posted:

Hey hey let's not get crazy here