Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

drat it's wild how quickly everything is getting so much worse, hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

As we head toward the 2080s, the economy will be in a recession more often than not, even if the pandemic hadn't happened. More and more often, it will be too hot to hunt, fish, or go outside. There will be a permanent recession while tens of thousands more outdoor workers die. https://www.brookings.edu/research/how-the-geography-of-climate-damage-could-make-the-politics-less-polarizing/ Good luck everybody

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SniperWoreConverse posted:

They found that towns with increased lithium in the water have lower violent crime rates so just gnaw old batteries it's fine

incredible we got fluoride in the water and not lithium and we're supposed to be living in a fascist nanny state. cmon pump that poo poo full of chemicals to keep us docile

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"permanent recession" is such a polite euphemism

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hahaha perfect username/post/page number combo good to have you back Rime

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

galenanorth posted:

As we head toward the 2080s, the economy will be in a recession more often than not, even if the pandemic hadn't happened. More and more often, it will be too hot to hunt, fish, or go outside. There will be a permanent recession while tens of thousands more outdoor workers die. https://www.brookings.edu/research/how-the-geography-of-climate-damage-could-make-the-politics-less-polarizing/ Good luck everybody

so youre saying its not that bad yet

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shima Honnou posted:

so youre saying its not that bad yet

i might be old and/or dead by 2080! this is fantastic news. i don't need to worry about any of this!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You can't just say things will or might happen
Where's your PROOF

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

galenanorth posted:

Can't even imagine us making it to 2080.

Wonder how many nukes will be used by then.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

galenanorth posted:

As we head toward the 2080s, the economy will be in a recession more often than not, even if the pandemic hadn't happened. More and more often, it will be too hot to hunt, fish, or go outside. There will be a permanent recession while tens of thousands more outdoor workers die.

Good luck everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8om_JZjTY

Good Luck Everybody!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i might be old and/or dead by 2080! this is fantastic news. i don't need to worry about any of this!

first as a boomer tragedy, then as a millennial farce

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

err posted:

Can't even imagine us making it to 2080.

Wonder how many nukes will be used by then.

More than nuclear power plants used

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Holy poo poo that's looks terrifyi- wait that's only -2.8%?

:nallears:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

lol

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Shima Honnou posted:

the golden rule: faster and harder than previous predictions

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Maybe the thread title should be changed to Biosphere Collapsed

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

net work error posted:

Maybe the thread title should be changed to Biosphere Collapsed

things arent that bad, yet

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We are probably going to see a hurricane so big it hardly moves while straddling a landmass continually drawing power from two different areas of ocean

Hopefully the first one parks over florida for a week or two

last month hurricane agatha formed in the pacific, hit mexico - and though it broke up - the system had enough oomph left in it to form tropical storm alex and hit florida. afaik it's the earliest anything like that has happened.

so i'm thinking the days of continents getting skullfucked by eldritch horror storm systems are coming sooner rather than later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Agatha
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Alex_(2022)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
i actually have it on good authority things will only be 2.8% worse than now by 2080 so itll be fine

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

i actually have it on good authority things will only be 2.8% worse than now by 2080 so itll be fine

*whispers* sir that's actually a 2.8% increase in shittiness per year

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

when can we get more hurricanes up in the PNW?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Pacific_Northwest_hurricane

quote:

The 1975 Pacific Northwest hurricane was an unusual Pacific tropical cyclone that attained hurricane status farther north than any other Pacific hurricane. It was officially unnamed, with the cargo ship Transcolorado providing vital meteorological data in assessing the storm. The twelfth tropical cyclone of the 1975 Pacific hurricane season, it developed from a cold-core upper-level low merging with the remnants of a tropical cyclone on August 31, well to the northeast of Hawaii. Convection increased as the circulation became better defined, and by early on September 2, it became a tropical storm. Turning to the northeast through an area of warm water temperatures, the storm quickly strengthened, and, after developing an eye, it attained hurricane status late on September 3, while located about 1,200 miles (1,950 km) south of Alaska. After maintaining peak winds for about 18 hours, the storm rapidly weakened, as it interacted with an approaching cold front. Early on September 5, it lost its identity near the coast of Alaska.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm sensitive to heat and end up with major migraines whenever it's around 25 degrees and higher. Thankfully live in a relatively temperate climate for now lol. Everything is so dumb.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

*whispers* sir that's actually a 2.8% increase in shittiness per year

this is the problem with you eggheads, you really expect the average joe to be able to calculate compound interest on shittiness and interpret those figures in a meaningful way? this is why nobody gives a gently caress about climate change

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cup Runneth Over posted:

incredible we got fluoride in the water and not lithium and we're supposed to be living in a fascist nanny state. cmon pump that poo poo full of chemicals to keep us docile

i don't exactly remember where this was supposed to be or what the exact situation was, but if i remember right without conflating other poo poo it wasn't exactly that crime went down, but that specifically there was less violence in terms of like domestic violence, and i think suicide? idk my brain may have accidentally just made it up.

There's for sure a steven king(?) short story based on this but the difference is that the scientists identify the exact compounds and throw a ton of it into a volcano just as it erupts. It spreads around the whole earth and it's like a paradisical new era... except it also kills all humans because there was an unknown side effect that it causes everyone to become permanently brain damaged or some boomer cocaine concepts type poo poo you get from the author

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

-0.28% -> 0.972^50=0.242 so a -75% decrease in the labor supply after 50 years of the 2.8% level of tossing outdoor workers into a metaphorical incinerator, before factoring in any population growth that counters it (0.57% in 2021 and recently slowing by 0.01% per year)

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
The Water Wars Come to the Suburbs

quote:

In 2018, Phoenix, concerned about its own supply, stopped selling water to haulers who serviced New River, an unincorporated community north of the city. Nabity grew worried that Scottsdale might make a similar decision and cut off supply to Rio Verde Foothills. If that happened, the water haulers could look for other sources, but trucking water in from farther away would cost significantly more. And what if other communities also stopped wanting to sell their scarce water to outsiders? Nabity, a real-estate agent, worried that water insecurity could prevent her from selling her home someday. But, when she and others began raising the issue, some of her neighbors accused her of fearmongering. Scottsdale promised to be a good neighbor, they insisted. The Foothills weren’t going to get cut off.

buddy you are literally a character from The Water Knife and i love that for you

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

again: the water knife is an optimistic book, because nonexistent technologies do heavy lifting in the story

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

and the fundamental point of contention in the book is also hilariously unrealistic in its promise of help. no one gives a gently caress about Native American water rights, lol

fun book to read though, highly recommended

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Wakko posted:

buddy you are literally a character from The Water Knife and i love that for you

yeah, if trucking in water gets much more expensive, they may have to get rid of the water hazards at the anthem golf and country club

terrible for property values

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sure it's an existential crisis for the whole community/state but think about my property values

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Pryor on Fire posted:

drat it's wild how quickly everything is getting so much worse, hahaha

I was wondering today if the vast quantities of methane released in the move to natural gas are behind the accelerated enfuckening

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

SniperWoreConverse posted:

a paradisical new era... except it also kills all humans

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
maybe if they stopped wasting all the water by turning it into knives we wouldn't be out of water right now

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

kyojin posted:

I was wondering today if the vast quantities of methane released in the move to natural gas are behind the accelerated enfuckening

same, but with certainty

https://www.edf.org/climate/methane-crucial-opportunity-climate-fight

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wakko posted:

lmfao honey i've got bad news about the future of Scottsdale if you're worried about them cutting you off

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Wakko posted:

anyone who lives here knows exactly how much of a "good neighbor" scottsdale is and what kind of people generally live there

hint: "rich" / "white" / "assholes"

e. someone moved here from colorado (jesus christ) and a month ago was telling me about her abusive boyfriend who she described as "bougie". i asked her if he was from scottsdale. "yes, how did you know?"

it's basically a meme

Raine has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Jun 30, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"ahh come on, that other city in the middle of an inhospitable desert wasteland will look out for us!"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
gonna go live in the middle of a desert, seems like the prudent thing to do
-dumb white idiots

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Raine posted:

anyone who lives here knows exactly how much of a "good neighbor" scottsdale is and what kind of people generally live there

hint: "rich" / "white" / "assholes"

lol this owns

quote:

As the January 1st deadline approaches, many Foothills residents still don’t know where their water will come from. The uncertainty and drama that keeps Nabity up at night doesn’t seem to be dissuading newcomers, though. “I just sold my daughter’s house, next door,” she said, shaking her head. “We got two great offers in, and neither of them cared about the water situation. They believe that the county is not going to let five hundred homes next to one of the wealthiest cities go without water.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lol people are already talking about scarring the earth to canal out the mighty mississippi's water into the southwest to keep the party going for a few more years and these people think Scottsdale is gonna come to their rescue?