Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
China completely flexing on everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

There is 1 Bojangles in all of Pennsylvania. I'd love to see how they got this data.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, dunno if it's the most popular takeout in Kazakhstan, but Almaty has a very well-regarded burger place called KetchUp, for one of the no data countries. There's something delightful about KZ of all countries having such a silly-named burger restaurant so highly esteemed.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 30, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

China completely flexing on everyone

My former girlfriend's family was Chinese, and every restaurant we went to or picked up food from with them, for 6 years, was a Chinese restaurant. The sentiment seemed to be "Our poo poo is really good, and if we want to mix it up we can get Sichuan or Fujian-style or something." I ate a lot of good food with them, but my girlfriend confirmed that yes, they basically never went out to any other type of restaurant.

Leviathan Song posted:

There is 1 Bojangles in all of Pennsylvania. I'd love to see how they got this data.

I believe the first Cane's just opened in California like, a couple weeks ago. I'm beginning to suspect that this map isn't based on anything, much like every "most popular x by territory".

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Leviathan Song posted:

It has to be going by ratings.

Trip Advisor used bad methodlogy based on their ratings system to put insane ratings lists like this - like the time they declared that the best city in the US for Pizza was San Diego.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Leviathan Song posted:

its just that much better than our current options

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kenning posted:

My former girlfriend's family was Chinese, and every restaurant we went to or picked up food from with them, for 6 years, was a Chinese restaurant. The sentiment seemed to be "Our poo poo is really good, and if we want to mix it up we can get Sichuan or Fujian-style or something." I ate a lot of good food with them, but my girlfriend confirmed that yes, they basically never went out to any other type of restaurant.

Yeah that's pretty standard. I had Chinese coworkers who were complaining once about how Italy has no good food and I had to ask for some details since it's Italy, and discovered they had not eaten any Italian food the entire trip, just went to lovely Chinese restaurants and complained it was bad (or ate the cup noodles they brought for times when there was no Chinese restaurant available). I would beg my students to not just eat Chinese food when they moved abroad for college.

It's one of the cultural barriers that was just incomprehensible for me as an American, to live in Korea and meet people who just ate Korean food three times a day, every day, their entire lives. I can't imagine eating kimchi and rice at every meal for 40 years straight. I don't care how much I like something, I need variety. Every country needs immigrants who want to open restaurants. One of the only unambiguously better things about living in the US.

China does have quite a range of cuisines but my experience is people mostly just eat their local stuff. I was living in Sichuan and if you wanted like Cantonese food? Good luck finding anything actually Cantonese and not "Cantonese" that's been Sichuanified into being unrecognizable. There was a single decent Dongbei restaurant in a city of 12? million.

One of the funniest things I saw was the Korean guy bringing a five kilo bag of rice with him on vacation to Japan so he'd have something to eat.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 30, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

New Zealand's colonialism is much prettier too because they decided to go big into sheep, but that land's not naturally pastures.

Neither is Britain! Neolithic Wales was mostly temperate rainforest.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm bothered by the way this map shows the states extending into their underwater territory in the Great Lakes... but doesn't do it for Michigan. Show it or don't show it, but be consistent! :argh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zaxburt is too salty

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that's pretty standard. I had Chinese coworkers who were complaining once about how Italy has no good food and I had to ask for some details since it's Italy, and discovered they had not eaten any Italian food the entire trip, just went to lovely Chinese restaurants and complained it was bad (or ate the cup noodles they brought for times when there was no Chinese restaurant available). I would beg my students to not just eat Chinese food when they moved abroad for college.

It's one of the cultural barriers that was just incomprehensible for me as an American, to live in Korea and meet people who just ate Korean food three times a day, every day, their entire lives. I can't imagine eating kimchi and rice at every meal for 40 years straight. I don't care how much I like something, I need variety. Every country needs immigrants who want to open restaurants. One of the only unambiguously better things about living in the US.

China does have quite a range of cuisines but my experience is people mostly just eat their local stuff. I was living in Sichuan and if you wanted like Cantonese food? Good luck finding anything actually Cantonese and not "Cantonese" that's been Sichuanified into being unrecognizable. There was a single decent Dongbei restaurant in a city of 12? million.

One of the funniest things I saw was the Korean guy bringing a five kilo bag of rice with him on vacation to Japan so he'd have something to eat.

Isn’t this a relatively recent phenomenon?

I had grandparents (and then parents) that only barley got out of Great Depression palettes so I personally got used to eating a lot of the same foods.

Hyper-capitalism bringing variety is super cool - don’t get me wrong - but I think the idea of having so many options is literally a brand new concept for the human experience.

I grew up and live in NYC for context.

I still get upset when I hear folks say “omg I can’t drink this water - it’s not flavored” because I still think that’s too much haha. I know people that straight up refuse to eat or drink anything unless it’s flavored.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I could definitely eat kimchi and rice every day for 40 years if my mum or wife always cooked it for me

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Leviathan Song posted:

Similarly, there are only three Church's Fried Chicken locations in the state of Washington (and one of them is closed "temporarily"). If people here wanted to avoid naming KFC, Ezell's--a Washington-based fried chicken chain with 17 locations--would be a far more believable choice.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I guess this passes for a map.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'd eat all these food types

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I feel like "Chinese" might need some more nuance in China lol. Also "Indian" for pakistan

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FishBulbia posted:

I feel like "Chinese" might need some more nuance in China lol.

Nah, "Chinese food" is the term people use there. There are specific terms for different styles if you want to specify but usually people just say Chinese food and you can correctly presume they're talking about what they grew up with.

One of the delivery apps I used there had "Chinese food" as one of the search categories and I always found it funny. Really narrows it down!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

lol "Indian" for the Netherlands.

Nooo, that would be "Indisch", Indonesian. Because colonialism. Often prepared by chinese restaurants that rebranded themselves to "chinese-indisch" when they found out that's more popular than traditional Chinese here.

True Indian takeaway exists in the Netherlands but it's not that easy to come by.
True Chinese food also exists but you kinda have to go to Chinatown to get it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wish it were bigger; I can't find tapas and even blown up on my big rear end monitor I can't

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

I wish it were bigger; I can't find tapas and even blown up on my big rear end monitor I can't

Here's the full size image, the OP had the image link to the source article which itself has a link to the full size image further down.

https://www.moneybeach.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/World.png

E: Hey, Kalinigrad has sunk.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 30, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Found this with the caption "A girl at work drew what she thinks the map of the USA looks like. She's almost 30 with 2 kids. The NC public school system has really failed her 🤦🏻‍♀️"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least Alaska is in the right place :v:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I guess this passes for a map.

The Japanese need a good talking if they feel the same about British and Greek food.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Greek food is almost nonexistent in East Asia, I doubt many Japanese people have ever had it. But lamb is pretty unpopular in Japan (probably the only time you'll ever see it there is in jingisukan) and I am guessing if they know anything at all about Greek food it's that it involves lamb, so that's where the judgement is.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

pik_d posted:

Found this with the caption "A girl at work drew what she thinks the map of the USA looks like. She's almost 30 with 2 kids. The NC public school system has really failed her 🤦🏻‍♀️"

I like rhode island's location

though I don't know what the island of AF in the Eastern Pacific is

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

FishBulbia posted:

Based on everything else I see, I'm gonna assume "Africa"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

pik_d posted:

Based on everything else I see, I'm gonna assume "Africa"

Africa begins at the Appalachians

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Grape posted:

The Japanese need a good talking if they feel the same about British and Greek food.

The problem with that chart is that it conflates ‘don’t like’ with ‘haven’t tried’

I’m guessing Peruvian is better than it appears, for instance (I don’t know, I haven’t tried it)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Family Values posted:

The problem with that chart is that it conflates ‘don’t like’ with ‘haven’t tried’

I’m guessing Peruvian is better than it appears, for instance (I don’t know, I haven’t tried it)

A Peruvian restaurant outside of Peru will almost certainly be roast chicken with both fries and rice as side so I have no idea how it scores so low.

Im vegetarian now but back when I ate meat Peruvian chicken was a fave.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Singaporeans apparently are the only ones outside of the nordics to appreciate Swedish food. Either they have some really nice meatball restaurants there, or they enjoy surströmming videos way too much.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Singaporeans apparently are the only ones outside of the nordics to appreciate Swedish food. Either they have some really nice meatball restaurants there, or they enjoy surströmming videos way too much.

Sweden and Singapore are in love with each other in a very consumerist bröderbund way.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Private Speech posted:

I'd argue it doesn't, it was the descriptive word for soviet ideology stemming from Lenin until the end.

Are you saying Lenin called himself a Marxist-Leninist?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Family Values posted:

It says "% of people who have tried that cuisine in each country that say they like it" so I assume you don't count if you haven't even tried it.

Its pretty obvious that people like something familiar. There are lots of Filipinos working overseas and on the seas so it makes sense they're the most open-minded about food.

It's also amusing how visible French and Spanish colonial history is on the chart.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

It's obviously Midway Atoll.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Are you saying Lenin called himself a Marxist-Leninist?

Well no, for the same reason Marx didn't call himself a Marxist.

Just that the M-L description was used even after Stalin was begrudgingly considered a Bad Man and wasn't linked to him in the way it was to Lenin/SU itself.

Of course arguably Stalin had a strong formative influence on the SU as a regime so it's all a bit complicated. Even so it isn't the same thing as Stalinism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's very italian that not only are they internationally on top, but their self-rating is the highest of anyone.

pik_d posted:

lmao @ the great state of Canada, New England, USA

and its proud sister state the isle of New Brunswick??

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 1, 2022

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Another dig at NC since I live here but I did a test to see how many people knew the capital of Canada in college. The results were... concerning.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No way it's pizza in India, right? Admittedly I haven't been there yet but I have been to south/SE asia and pizza is... very niche, let's say.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Carbon dioxide posted:

The logos of the municipal office of every municipality in the Netherlands.

Fantastic mix of lame corporate looking logos, bomb rear end coats of arms, places that wish they had sweet coats of arms but actually had an intern with a clipart library and the outline of an escutcheon, and the occasional leaping stag or rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was bored so I did my own memory map, and frankly I thought I could do better