Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a ghost dog
Jul 15, 2008

Anyone have an issue where the steam cloud will sync saves from the deck to the desktop, but not the other way around? I've tried a restart but I can't get it fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Isn’t that what steam family sharing is for? Can’t you make a 2nd account for the second person they could login with and play your games while you’re on the deck?

You can't both be playing games at the same time(even different games) with family share. Your shared library isn't accessable to them while you are in a game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

a ghost dog posted:

Anyone have an issue where the steam cloud will sync saves from the deck to the desktop, but not the other way around? I've tried a restart but I can't get it fixed.

You should be able to click on the Cloud Sync button next to Play to force a sync. That's from memory, but IIRC you can force a sync in both Decktop and Deck Steam.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

You can't both be playing games at the same time(even different games) with family share. Your shared library isn't accessable to them while you are in a game.

Keep in mind you can put the steam deck into offline mode and keep playing while the account is in use elsewhere.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

JazzFlight posted:

Well Holocure just gave me an error when trying to install it using the itch.io app anyway, so I just added the .exe from my Download folder to Steam manually and used Proton Experimental.

Is there really a big problem with how Holocure saves on the Steam Deck?

The itch.io linux client doesn't download anything marked for Windows, only linux. It's kind of annoying since then you do need to download and add the game manually.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

parasyte posted:

The itch.io linux client doesn't download anything marked for Windows, only linux. It's kind of annoying since then you do need to download and add the game manually.
I saw on reddit someone was like "oh, I just downloaded it and installed through Lutris" like it was so simple. When I open Lutris from the flatpack I installed from the Discover app, it immediately pops up a warning that I don't have some vulkan libraries installed. Then when I try to add a game, I realize I'm way out of my element because there are so many fields it looks like you're supposed to fill in yourself.

Thankfully for Holocure, it seems like the game is a self-contained executable, no install needed, so just adding the unzipped .exe to Steam and setting Proton Experimental for it is enough.
I'm wondering if downloading the game again when the next update hits will be an easy procedure or not. Like, are save files going to easily sync to the next version? Hopefully it just auto-loads the files from the same save location.

EDIT: Apparently, updating is simply replacing the same files in the unzipped folder:

quote:

UPDATING YOUR GAME:

When updating your game, you can simply replace the old files in the game directory folder with the new files from the zip. Your save will still work as is, so you don't need to do anything about that. Your save file is located in a different location on your computer, so replacing your files in the game directory will not affect your save.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 29, 2022

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Commander Keene posted:

If the game has hot-seat or split-screen multiplayer you could use Steam streaming or something like Moonlight to play on different devices, right?

Yes, that works because technically you're running one copy of the game and streaming the view of the game to two places - not running two separate copies of the game.

To really put it in fine detail:

- You can have your Steam account logged in on as many devices as you want
- But your Steam account can only be running one game at a time, total, across all machines
- The one exception is if you put some of the accounts into Offline Mode, these can run offline games at the same time because they can't communicate to the Steam servers to say "this computer is running a game right now, don't let another computer run a game at this time"
- You can use Steam streaming or Moonlight or whatever to stream the one running game to as many other screens as you want, since really you're only running one copy of the game

I don't work for Valve or anything, so this is just my understanding. If I've made a mistake please correct me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Apparently Morrowind works fine via proton/wine. There's also an open-source version of morrowind (OpenMW) that can do native linux as well, if you like to gently caress around with that kind of thing. It wasn't that hard for me to set up but ymmv and I did it on an ubuntu install a few years ago. It can do a lot of mods, but some of the more intensive mods (anything that patches the binary or some of the scripting extenders I think) wouldn't work. But I was able to install a lot of qol improvements when I used it so it was fine for me.

Ok thanks! How are the controls though? I know the PC version never got native controller support like the Xbox version has.

This goes for both morrowind and oblivion.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

parasyte posted:

and honestly i've found it easier to just do that for all the games. sometimes a linux game doesn't have an obvious executable file and i don't feel like guessing

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks! How are the controls though? I know the PC version never got native controller support like the Xbox version has.

This goes for both morrowind and oblivion.

In my brief testing, the "default" controls work fine for playing the game, as in walking around and hitting things with your sword, but were bad for interacting with menus and the inventory. So I had to modify them to set one of the trackpads to work as a mouse with left click just for the menus.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
lol Fedex says my deck will arrive the day before the longhaul flight I want to take it on, so I am going to have to open it up and get it ready to go quickly.

Normally I'd take my time to explore the device, but I suppose I should plan head to know exactly what I am installing so I can get through it quickly.

I have a list of Steam games I want to install. Should be easy. Steam will probably want to update the OS too.

I also want to install a full suite of emulators and dump my ROM collection on it. To do that, I'll go to https://www.emudeck.com/#download, download the installer, follow the prompts, and it should be easy too.

I then need to dump my ROMs onto the device. Right now they're in Google Drive. For that, I'll log in via the browser and download them? I assume there's obvious directories they need to be dropped in, set up by Emudeck.

Is there anything here which might be a surprise or that I need to make absolute sure I do before getting on my flight? For example, I know I need to launch any Steam games I have cloud saves for to make sure they're downloaded. Anything else?

I don't want to get on my flight, launch something, and realize "ah shite, it needs an internet connection to finish setting up X".

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

lol Fedex says my deck will arrive the day before the longhaul flight I want to take it on, so I am going to have to open it up and get it ready to go quickly.

Normally I'd take my time to explore the device, but I suppose I should plan head to know exactly what I am installing so I can get through it quickly.

I have a list of Steam games I want to install. Should be easy. Steam will probably want to update the OS too.

I also want to install a full suite of emulators and dump my ROM collection on it. To do that, I'll go to https://www.emudeck.com/#download, download the installer, follow the prompts, and it should be easy too.

I then need to dump my ROMs onto the device. Right now they're in Google Drive. For that, I'll log in via the browser and download them? I assume there's obvious directories they need to be dropped in, set up by Emudeck.

Is there anything here which might be a surprise or that I need to make absolute sure I do before getting on my flight? For example, I know I need to launch any Steam games I have cloud saves for to make sure they're downloaded. Anything else?

I don't want to get on my flight, launch something, and realize "ah shite, it needs an internet connection to finish setting up X".

Nah, you’ll be good. Budget two hours for config stuff (mostly emu deck and transferring ROMs) and prepare to leave the device plugged in and downloading overnight. There’s really not a ton to configure in most cases.

You’re correct about emudeck directories.

Set the Deck to offline mode before the flight and happy farming/shooting/crafting/crying.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Insanite posted:

Set the Deck to offline mode before the flight

Why does this matter? I had assumed the Deck would go into offline mode automatically if there was no wifi detected.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Why does this matter? I had assumed the Deck would go into offline mode automatically if there was no wifi detected.

Haven’t actually had to use the thing with no internet access yet, but I assumed the “set Steam to offline mode” caveats were still as they used to be.

I’ve had home internet outages recently where automatic offline mode didn’t work (if it’s a thing at all), but I haven’t pressed it since tethering exists.

E: and since it’s a long flight, lean on graphically undemanding games unless you want to bet on a functional outlet.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 30, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It doesn’t go into offline mode automatically but it doesn’t matter.

You can download things and play them with no issues after you’ve gone offline.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You have not needed to set steam to go offline before losing your connection for like, 8 - 10 years. It's really been that long since they fixed that.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You have not needed to set steam to go offline before losing your connection for like, 8 - 10 years. It's really been that long since they fixed that.

TIL. You'd still need to have an online first launch, generally, though, right?

Insanite fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 30, 2022

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

50 point steam deck checklist

This person is totally going to forget to pack, like, underwear or a toothbrush but the deck will be PREPPED

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

This person is totally going to forget to pack, like, underwear or a toothbrush but the deck will be PREPPED

*accidentally packs gun into carryon*

No sir, this is just uh, a videogame controller for my steamdeck, yes, this large object.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

This is my entire life. Some day I'll break my glasses and end up like that guy on the Twilight Zone with a Game Boy Micro

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Got Monster Hunter Sunbreak and it looks like the base game crashes every few minutes on Steam Deck.

I hope it gets fixed soon.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I just got the Waterfield pouch for the Steam Deck and recommend it as a less bulky alternative to the default case - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/gaming-cases-for-steam-deck/products/pouch-for-steam-deck

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

PowerBeard posted:

Got Monster Hunter Sunbreak and it looks like the base game crashes every few minutes on Steam Deck.

I hope it gets fixed soon.

FWIW I played a few hours of regular Rise and had 0 issues :shrug:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

shrike82 posted:

I just got the Waterfield pouch for the Steam Deck and recommend it as a less bulky alternative to the default case - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/gaming-cases-for-steam-deck/products/pouch-for-steam-deck

Did they ever revise it from the original so that the zipper doesn't scratch the poo poo out of the Deck anymore? A few months ago, these had 0 recommendations and also cost like 1/3 the price of the Deck itself.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

Did they ever revise it from the original so that the zipper doesn't scratch the poo poo out of the Deck anymore? A few months ago, these had 0 recommendations and also cost like 1/3 the price of the Deck itself.

Not sure what you’re referring to but the zipper doesn’t make contact with the Deck

It’s not cheap but it’s more travel friendly than the Valve case - that thing is ridiculous to travel with

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

whenever i've travelled with my switch i used the semi-hard case because i'm sure soft cases will just offer no real protection against bending

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

shrike82 posted:

Not sure what you’re referring to but the zipper doesn’t make contact with the Deck

It’s not cheap but it’s more travel friendly than the Valve case - that thing is ridiculous to travel with

This was posted Mid-March. It looks like you bought a newer revision because the original is elsewhere on the site but has the same dimensions. They apparently used the cad dimensions released by Valve to design the case, but never had a fake Deck 3D printed to see if it'd even fit in the damned thing. I'd read similar stories regarding the case scratching the Deck on other sites like Resetera in March/April, but your post is the first mention I've seen of them since.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

You can buy underwear and a toothbrush wherever you're going, seems like fine prioritization to me op

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Deck can be used as either in a pinch too, of course. It's a Linux machine, just pacman -S toothbrush underwear it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Protocol7 posted:

The Deck can be used as either in a pinch too, of course. It's a Linux machine, just pacman -S toothbrush underwear it.

There's probably a toothbrush-mode plugin for emacs tbh.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Holy poo poo just got my email, UK 512GB reserved 1h17m after launch. wasn't expecting that. I guess they really did ramp up production 'cos all the calculators and estimates put me at mid July at the earliest. :dance:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Just got a frightening account alert at the top of my page... it was an early Q3 Steam Deck! Paid with Steam wallet funds without issue, and got 64 summer event cards as a bonus. I was just past the 2 hour mark for NA 512GB buyers, so we've cleared that milestone.

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Holy poo poo just got my email, UK 512GB reserved 1h17m after launch. wasn't expecting that. I guess they really did ramp up production 'cos all the calculators and estimates put me at mid July at the earliest. :dance:

I’m the same, UK 512GB, showing as Q3 (which it near enough is, but it’ll be very early Q3 when I get it), and I got the email about an hour ago. I just started laughing because it was so unexpected.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
They weren't kidding about the production ramp up.

Reserved: Jul 16, 2021 @ 11:58am PDT
Got my notification Jun 30, 2022 @ 10:09am PDT

Not bad. Little under a year and looking at the reservation for the 516GB and others after purchase has them at Q3 (Oct 2022 or later).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

shrike82 posted:

My lady is going to get this for me as an early birthday gift because I really don't like the case the Deck comes with at all. How much can you fit in this thing? I was hoping to use it as my EDC because my bitch rear end is carrying the Deck with me everywhere, I'm basically hoping it can hold my phone, wallet and earbuds as well.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Are there any known hacks to change the resolution of gaming mode on an external display? My usb c adapter negotiates to 4k30 when plugged into my tv and I can't find any way to get it down to something more befitting the power level, like 1080p or even 720p so there's only one stage of upscaling.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Does anyone else have a creaky steam deck? When I put a little pressure on the left of mine it creaks pretty loud.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

My lady is going to get this for me as an early birthday gift because I really don't like the case the Deck comes with at all. How much can you fit in this thing? I was hoping to use it as my EDC because my bitch rear end is carrying the Deck with me everywhere, I'm basically hoping it can hold my phone, wallet and earbuds as well.

Is EDC just code for purse.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SerCypher posted:

Is EDC just code for purse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007