Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Upsidads posted:

Bale is in the movie unblurred

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

The review embargo hasn't lifted yet, from what I understand. So these are all vague, non-spoiler impressions. But the first impressions from Twitter, as much as they can say, are pretty negative so far. Which is surprising, after the huge positive view of Ragnarok.

General Marvel backlash for this phase? Or is the movie that bad? I know I liked Dr. Strange 2 way more than most people seem to, but everything else this phase has felt loving dire. And I have hopes for this movie.

Spoken like someone yet to see Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight, both of which rock hard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

Spoken like someone yet to see Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight, both of which rock hard.

Moon Knight I liked, once we got to the asylum. But I still only consider it pretty good, outside of the acting. And Ms. Marvel is...still finding itself, I'd say? It mostly seems to be about her learning about her family, which is fine, but maybe isn't for me? Which, again, fine, not everything has to be for me. I like the style, but the villains are boring, so far.

But, this should be said, when I said "loving dire", I meant to refer to the movies only. My mistake.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Read through all these tweets and I can honestly say no two people seem to be complaining about the same thing and also no one’s criticisms make sense.

I’m not saying they can’t make sense to someone but Minions? Sailor Moon OVA??? And Jojo Rabbit was loving great.

Its great that you personally liked that movie. But it was rear end

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its great that you personally liked that movie. But it was rear end

thanks for sharing OP

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

thanks for sharing OP

You're welcome. I'm here for the Taika Waititi backlash.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
more kingo or we go, imo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You're welcome. I'm here for the Taika Waititi backlash.

this one got me

https://twitter.com/Ruby_Stevens/status/1542354915045117953?s=20&t=KnqnOzZXCkhpb-PZGKZV-A

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol that's a great one sentence review

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Twitter impression reviews are poo. They're just a bunch of words strung together that makes you wonder what the heck.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Twitter impression reviews are poo. They're just a bunch of words strung together that makes you wonder what the heck.

I think this only applies in this instance to Taika Waititi fans who adore him and can't see the other side of the coin (every single terrible acting role he was in last year alone)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Taika was excellent in Our Flag Means Death.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hm. On the one hand if these are regular MCU Stans maybe if they hate it…perhaps a legitimate good movie got out instead of typical MCU schlock and this is a good thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the turnaround for taika, he has had a charmed run but he has a shtick and people get sick of them.

Jojo was great though, nfi what that post was about

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Jojo is toothless. Utterly ignorant about the nature and appeal of fascism. Pathetic lib poo poo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

porfiria posted:

Jojo is toothless. Utterly ignorant about the nature and appeal of fascism. Pathetic lib poo poo.

Counterpoint: lol ok

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

porfiria posted:

you are in a thread about comic book movies my guy

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Sandwolf posted:

you are in a thread about comic book movies my guy

Captain America 2 is toothless. Utterly ignorant about the nature and appeal of fascism. Pathetic lib poo poo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jojo Rabbit is a movie that, in the year 2019, had the message "some Nazis are actually good people."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

porfiria posted:

Minions the rise of gru is toothless. Utterly ignorant about the nature and appeal of fascism. Pathetic lib poo poo.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

When I was a kid, I remember watching a trailer for Despicable Me, and hoping that the movie would be good. I thought that having a subversive film series about a guy who was a bit of a dick would be a great change from the white-bread, straight-laced protagonists we'd gotten for decades at that point. I hoped that it would do well.

The film series has made about $4 billion globally. Forgive me. Also, I'm hopeful that the new Thor movie will be good.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Really wish it had been Megamind that got a bunch of sequels and spin-offs

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wasn't too hot on Jojo Rabbit but it was fine. I trust Taika though, and Hemsworth always brings the goods.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/ShakExcellence/status/1542534568883929089

New Minions has ascended in the meme hierarchy btw.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I enjoy the Minions movies for what they are: just Saturday morning schlock. They are fine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

Really wish it had been Megamind that got a bunch of sequels and spin-offs

Good news

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thor 4 impressions are a bit messy at the moment, but they were kinda the same for Ragnarok.

If you don't like Waititi then it's probably smart to skip one of his movies. Doubly so because it seems like they're letting him go a bit nuts on this one.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Vintersorg posted:

I enjoy the Minions movies for what they are: just Saturday morning schlock. They are fine.

and yet they are quiet on the subject of fascism… hmm

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gatts posted:

Hm. On the one hand if these are regular MCU Stans maybe if they hate it…perhaps a legitimate good movie got out instead of typical MCU schlock and this is a good thing.

I only know Allegra Frank from the sadly defunct The Polygon Show, and she is not at all what you'd call a diehard for anything except pokemon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

and yet they are quiet on the subject of fascism… hmm

Aren't the minions literally guys that help out fascists?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There were an unusual amount of minions living in Argentina in the years proceeding WW2.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Peacock?? Guess I’ll never see it

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The minions were conveniently living in a cave between 1812 and 1968 because the filmmakers knew they would have served Hitler, had they been aware of him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jenny Agutter posted:

Peacock?? Guess I’ll never see it

Piracy still exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robot Style posted:

The minions were conveniently living in a cave between 1812 and 1968 because the filmmakers knew they would have served Hitler, had they been aware of him.

Let's see what the Fandom Wiki has to say about that!!

.. huh.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was Napoleon actually evil? The simple history I read showers him as just a commander who wanted power and to conquer. As was the style at the time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ImpAtom posted:

Let's see what the Fandom Wiki has to say about that!!

.. huh.

Oh ya Hitler would love em, so would Stalin.
Kinda want a Yeltsin Minions movie

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

porfiria posted:

Captain America 2 is toothless. Utterly ignorant about the nature and appeal of fascism. Pathetic lib poo poo.

i was googling random movies to continue this moderately funny gag form, when i came upon the reviews for barbie princess charm school and well gosh

quote:

anthony goodwin
a year ago

this movie can be described easily in 2 words: cinematic masterpiece. Barbie: Princess Charm School (2011) is nothing short of the greatest film of all time and I feel blessed to have seen this movie. Each and every character has so much depth with riveting stories. Not to mention the subtle commentary on the negative effects of capitalism and how Barbie herself wants to make Gardenia a communist society (evidently the right decision). All this in mind I would like to say that this movie was carried to the top with the help of 3 pivotal characters: Brock, Isla and Prince. Derek Waters' delivery with his lines were outstanding and really helped bring to life the best character in the film with his incredible accent. Isla, another pillar of this godlike film is an absolute waifu and i dont have much more to add in that department. When it comes to Prince there was no better of a voice actor to choose than Brian Drummond, what with his incredible performance in Hot Wheels: World Race. It was only right to cast him for Prince and by god does he live up to his prestige. Overall these 3 characters helped culminate this film into the masterpiece that it is and I enjoyed every moment of this film. Especially the carefully and intricately choreographed dances that was the icing on the cake for the ending of this film. And don't even get me started on that hunk of a guy Prince Nicholas who was the ideal mate for Barbie. In conclusion, this film was outstanding and I will be sure to share this movie with everyone I meet and watch it whenever the opportunity comes up. Would highly recommend this movie to anyone with a great appreciation for high quality media. Thank you for reading.

quote:

Jonathan Sreeves
2 years ago

What an emotional roller coaster this film was! From heart-wrenching moments of Blair's savage tormentors, to the climatic and altogether stunning conclusion of this marvel of a cinematic masterpiece, Barbie: Princess Charm School held me captivated throughout. The animation and cinematography was truly groundbreaking, smashing down preconceptions of the limits of rendering technology. To me, however, it was Brock that truly stole the show; the subtle nuance provided by Derek Waters is truly remarkable, and the depth behind those 3D rendered eyes gives a glimpse into this security guard's alluded troubled past. Truly a spectacle to behold.

quote:

Nasywa Salsabila
a year ago

This is not only the best barbies movies i watched, but overall the best movies of all time. It gave me so much emotions, enjoyment and satisfaction as a viewer and i have watched more than 20 times. It has such a good concept and the way of blending the royalty concept to the modern times was absolutely fantastic. It has done a great job on the clothes, characters and setting too. Loved this movie and would totally watch it again!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I kinda want to see the Minions movie where they’re popping tons of amphetamine with Adolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I made the same joke in the scifiwifi Harry Potter thread of all things.

Kinda funny that given they apparently raised Gru suggests that Gru is the first master who really knows how to work with them and play to their bumbling strengths without getting himself killed.