Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

There's a great onboard video from multiple trophyhaver Peter Hickman from the 2018 Senior TT where he talks through a full lap, I never get tired of watching these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_hxwAanX0

Fifty Three posted:

We flew into IOM through Dublin and took a bus from the airport to downtown Douglas, that part was easy. IOM sells bus passes at the airport info desk that are good for 1/3/5 days etc. On race/practice days there are both normal IOM busses for the main cities/towns and special TT busses that will take you anywhere you'd like to go along the track, including most of the campsites I think. IOM's bus website can be confusing because certain race days use specific day of the week schedules, but spend a bit of time studying it and you'll figure it out. Leading up to the TT that site had a special TT section with the modified schedules and info on the special TT busses. The main bus stand in Douglas had volunteers in hi-viz helping people figure out what bus to take, shout out to them they were delightful. We ended up catching a normal bus to Crosby at around 7am and walked from there to The Crosby, an awesome little pub with picnic benches and friendly people and cheap beers all day. Don't tell your friends. Got there at 7:30 and benches were already being taken, the pub wasn't even set to open until 9am. Roads closed at 10am and reopened after the day's racing was over, caught a special TT bus back into town. Road closure times and race schedules varied based on the weather and were posted on the evenings prior on IOMTT's Facebook.

The last day of racing, as Redvenom mentioned in another thread, is a national holiday in IOM so everyone was partying and in a great mood except for one geezer who mocked us and tried to start a debate with us because we were wearing masks and there were concerts and fireworks over the water in Douglas at the end and oh my god it was just overwhelmingly cool. Like a Forza Horizon festival brought to life. We flew out of IOM to Edinburgh to continue our trip.

Lodging we got very lucky and found an AirBnB right downtown as well. It was expensive, but I expected that with how late I was booking. The first few AirBnBs I contacted tried the "we can book offline and promise you a room!" :lol: nope. Would highly recommend booking as far in advance as a hotel or campsite will let you. Campsites can be reserved directly through IOMTT's website, I believe, and most hotels don't list their rooms on Expedia etc. Gotta book those directly.

If there's any other specific questions you have I'm happy to answer, hope you can make it work and go, it's seriously an incredible experience and I'll remember it forever.
Thank you! Bookmarking that for the future, maybe next year especially if things continue to be less* covidy. Partner finds my obsession with IOMTT hilarious and likes to call it "the man race", we were thinking of doing some traveling in the future though and it's a beautiful country with lots of other stuff to do in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Toe Rag posted:

I personally ride based on what I can see not on what I think may be next. I don't think that's what those guys are doing.

Slavvy is right, racing is in large part knowing several turns ahead exactly where and when you need to brake and turn and accelerate. At least, that's how you get the fastest possible lap time. You're not wrong though that it's more dynamic than that when you actually introduce opponents you have to react to and get ahead of. Aside from spanking a buddy at Maximum Tune in an arcade every now and then, I never "got" the uh, other people, part of racing. Give me a free circuit to time trial in a racing game and I'll pull decent times for an amateur, but a dozen other guys on the track, all tryin' to have it all, is a nightmare to me and easily the most impressive part of road racing.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Bookmarking that for the future, maybe next year especially if things continue to be less* covidy.
You'll never guess what we caught either just before or at the TT and had to spend a large part of the rest of our vacation isolating for. :v:

(I hope that bit improves as well, for you and everyone else's sakes)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Slavvy is right,

Don't stop I'm nearly there

Wrt how they do it with other people: games make you think racing is roughly like a bf1942 match where everyone is a rambo out for glory. But in reality it's more like a dance where even if you hate the guy and desperately want to beat him, there has to be a mutual respect and understanding that you won't do unpredictable poo poo and you'll concede the line when you're clearly beaten. People who repeatedly break the honor system find themselves unable to race in short order.

This is what it looks like when the honor system breaks down and two of the most towering talents in history decide to have a boxing match via motorized proxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWVc5VY5BKI

(I don't know how to embed with a time so you'll need to skip forward 2-3 minutes)

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Thank you! Bookmarking that for the future, maybe next year especially if things continue to be less* covidy. Partner finds my obsession with IOMTT hilarious and likes to call it "the man race", we were thinking of doing some traveling in the future though and it's a beautiful country with lots of other stuff to do in between.

If you're interested in going then most of the time you are looking to book a year in advance, or at least lay down your plans and do your investigation in that sort of timeframe. Certainly pre-covid you would have to book accommodation and the ferry (coming from mainland UK) as soon as bookings opened - pretty much straight after the racing from the year before.

Also if you follow anything around the TT then you'll see that everyone says that the first one or two years are basically for finding your way round the track. There's a reason that even the best of riders don't just turn up and win.

knox_harrington posted:

North West 200 is kinda the next notch up from the TT in danger

Yes and no. The NW and other Irish road racing events are less well known and less lucrative, and as a result have less 'safety' measures around the track (despite having improved massively in the last few years). That said the actual IOM TT course is probably amongst the most dangerous just based on raw speed, geography, volume of riders, lack of run off and hence impact of making a mistake. Fatalities per year speak for themselves. I really enjoy the NW but it's a very different event from the IOM.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Don't stop I'm nearly there

Wrt how they do it with other people: games make you think racing is roughly like a bf1942 match where everyone is a rambo out for glory. But in reality it's more like a dance where even if you hate the guy and desperately want to beat him, there has to be a mutual respect and understanding that you won't do unpredictable poo poo and you'll concede the line when you're clearly beaten. People who repeatedly break the honor system find themselves unable to race in short order.

This is what it looks like when the honor system breaks down and two of the most towering talents in history decide to have a boxing match via motorized proxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWVc5VY5BKI

(I don't know how to embed with a time so you'll need to skip forward 2-3 minutes)

Holy poo poo how do we get this level of pettiness and amazing racing in today’s motogp. That’s incredible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That incident basically broke the sport and led directly to the current stewardship fiasco so idk. Just terrible dishonor for everyone involved, it's eased a bit now that Rossi has retired but the miasma of that race still hangs over every decision the organizers make when big names have biffo.

Also: they were on Bridgestones so the front tyre didn't suck and let them do actual moves, Michelin have still not caught up despite the unceasing clamor for a stronger front.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Once again an example of the ancient tale of Yamaha handling and Honda horsepower. Yamaha being the only moral and honorable Japanese brand builds their bikes to steer and brake with finesse and stability, whereas Honda the robber baron big oil capitalist frauds throw thoughtless millions of dollars into maximizing intake air flow in a 200rpm power band. Disgusting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What does that make Ducati though

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Slavvy posted:

What does that make Ducati though

Nowhere near a championship since 2007.

Ba dum tish.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:iceburn:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Once again an example of the ancient tale of Yamaha handling and Honda horsepower. Yamaha being the only moral and honorable Japanese brand builds their bikes to steer and brake with finesse and stability, whereas Honda the robber baron big oil capitalist frauds throw thoughtless millions of dollars into maximizing intake air flow in a 200rpm power band. Disgusting.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The yamaha fanboi in me likes this post.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
RE: the recent IoM / TT chat...

I live on the IoM, so if anyone's thinking of travelling over I could probably help out with some reasonable priced accommodation (if I can swing it with the other half), we've got 3 spare rooms and a double garage if anyone thinks of riding over. It'd be very much a "here's a key, come and go as you please, and don't be a dick" kinda thing as we tend to work for majority of it..I'm about a 20-25min walk away from the granstand/paddock area, unfortunately busses from here are a pain because of the lovely routes from the nearby stops :(

At the very least I can try to help find some accommodation. I have a few colleagues that do the homestay stuff, and some that have holiday-let properties. Maybe help save on the extortionate hotel/BnB prices.

Happy to help with any questions etc, just send me a PM.

Here I am wobbling up the hill on the wrong side of the road

ManxGP/ClassicTT in august is pretty cool too

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

From the bikevestments thread:

Slavvy posted:

I think you'll find that's the color of FREEDOM and not a mere plebian 'orange'

FREEDOM contains GLITTER.

(I'm not normally one for Harley/cruiser stuff but I gotta say, this one looks fantastic!)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wish that was even in the top ten worst vrods I've seen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You live at ground zero for hosed up vrods though

It'd be like me saying "that's not even in the top ten of lifted F350s with smog tunes and untreated fender rust"

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

I wish that was even in the top ten worst vrods I've seen.

I know who i'm talking to, but how can you (in this case the general "you" and not Slavvy) hate bass boat sparkle?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Isn't the whole point of those things to park in the sun and attract admirers, then ride slowly down busy streets and annoy pedestrians? This one seems pretty fit for both purposes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's true and I've only internalized just how bad the situation is in the last couple of years; I always thought it was like everything else in NZ ie a lovely low rent imitation of the real thing. I've only now realized we are actually on the bleeding edge of fuckwit bike innovation. And I want to emphasize: the worst most gangster bikes never make it to the internet, they only change hands for cash and they are the two wheeled equivalent of a dirty hypodermic needle. Occasionally, one of these dudes will get higher ambitions and spend 50-60k on something insanely dumb.

Just look at these beauties:

This one is my personal favorite because of the brakes:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 14, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is that a see-through timing cover? Lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

got 'eeem

Slavvy posted:

This one is my personal favorite because of the brakes:

are... are those rotors painted?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's perfect, really. It'll never rub off because nobody who rides that bike is ever going to even think of touching the front brake! :golfclap:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yes but what gets me is they spent money on one of those but didn't feel like replacing the bent foot peg.

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's perfect, really. It'll never rub off because nobody who rides that bike is ever going to even think of touching the front brake! :golfclap:

What's remarkable is the listing has another shot of it in the street and the rear disc paint is still there so they clearly trailered it to a carpark.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's perfect, really. It'll never rub off because nobody rides that bike!

FTFY

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

being able to look at your stator really got me good.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Heard an audible "boop" in my head when viewing the third pic.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Customized vrods always look like such rear end. I don't like the appearance of regular ol stock vrods, but that's just a personal thing because they look like 90s sunglasses or something. At least their original design is pretty cohesive across the bike. Interrupting that with stupid wheels or ape hangers just looks bad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anything more than just a subtle add on almost always looks like rear end. Vrods already looked pretty oakley circa 1999 but then adding the worst trend of tall skinny bars to a long low bike makes it look like a child drawing of an American chopper. You either need to completely change the lines of the bike or leave it alone.

In the name of customization, people are incredibly eager to make an okay/ugly bike look infinitely worse (not to mention the handling), and willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to do so.

I will never understand the attention seeking issues of the Harley crowd as a culture.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well, show me one application of those bars that actually looks good. I feel like they ruin every bike they’re on.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Revvik posted:

Well, show me one application of those bars that actually looks good. I feel like they ruin every bike they’re on.

Much like their riders

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verman posted:

Anything more than just a subtle add on almost always looks like rear end. Vrods already looked pretty oakley circa 1999 but then adding the worst trend of tall skinny bars to a long low bike makes it look like a child drawing of an American chopper. You either need to completely change the lines of the bike or leave it alone.

In the name of customization, people are incredibly eager to make an okay/ugly bike look infinitely worse (not to mention the handling), and willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to do so.

I will never understand the attention seeking issues of the Harley crowd as a culture.

This is not remotely limited to Harley people, it is very much a general cruiser owner thing because they care far more about looks than function (or they wouldn't have a cruiser probably).

At least the lovely AliExpress fakrapovich on squid's R6 is there because it theoretically does something to make them bike faster or better in some way. Likewise the lights and farkles on an ADV theoretically do something. Cruiser people seem to be in love with totally functionless modification in the name of somehow being a rebel with a 'custom' despite all the customisation being part numbers coming out of a corporate catalogue.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

This phenomenon is not limited to cruiser people, someone did this to their VanVan within the first 900 miles of ownership, replacing a ridiculously ugly tail end with an uglier, less useful tail end. And then selling it almost immediately.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I was looking at used Bonnevilles and yeah … not limited to Harley people. There’s just more Harleys in the US, so the majority of us see them more often.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Are we all forgetting the 2000-2010s cafe racer craze?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but those were meant to be a specific particular type of thing even if people did it in a moronic way. The cruiser thing is more like just modifying poo poo for the sake of it being modified, but then doing it in a really directionless, half assed, consumerist way.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

world's dumbest trials bike

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Honda is seriously missing a trick by not re-releasing this as an electric that weighs less than half as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

It's true and I've only internalized just how bad the situation is in the last couple of years; I always thought it was like everything else in NZ ie a lovely low rent imitation of the real thing. I've only now realized we are actually on the bleeding edge of fuckwit bike innovation. And I want to emphasize: the worst most gangster bikes never make it to the internet, they only change hands for cash and they are the two wheeled equivalent of a dirty hypodermic needle. Occasionally, one of these dudes will get higher ambitions and spend 50-60k on something insanely dumb.

Just look at these beauties:

gently caress ugly vrods

Hmm I don't see that many vrods but oddly they seem to be the ones that don't get modded. gently caress those big front wheel ones that looks hideous. I like the red/blacked out color combo on the last one (especially if factory) but those dumbass bars just ruin it and....is the paint on the rotors just spray paint? Who takes a $5 can of spray paint to a set of $500 rotors??? You normally only see this on stolen bikes.