Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Oil! posted:

This can't be that hard, just need to practice this until it is muscle memory. /s

People sight read this, wtf, this poo poo is crazy. Even with years of practice, if you ever lose your spot, it looks like it is impossible to recover.

Music games are all about chunking: your brain stops seeing individual notes and instead sees patterns that become the muscle movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
And ending on a Perfect Full Combo

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Music games are all about chunking: your brain stops seeing individual notes and instead sees patterns that become the muscle movement.

Playing instruments is very similiar too. It's hard to time out 4 guitar strums individually but thinking of it as 'chugga chugga' or w/e makes it easier, faster, and more accurate.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

That was extremely impressive, really glad that it ended up getting showcased.

Still, I think GDQ could do to drop their incentives by, like, 20%. If you're repeatedly rearranging the schedule to make sure they get in they're probably, like, a little too high.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

Okay but double the number of buttons and make 2 people share the washing machine..

Big same, it's basically ASMR.

it put me right to sleep somehow. amazing goddamn run and now I need to wake myself up for Celeste.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

That was extremely impressive, really glad that it ended up getting showcased.

Still, I think GDQ could do to drop their incentives by, like, 20%. If you're repeatedly rearranging the schedule to make sure they get in they're probably, like, a little too high.

yeah

they prolly won't have problems meeting the ocarina of time incentive for tomorrow at least

also i really wanna watch celeste, but i badly need to get some drat sleep since i'm gonna be watching everything from chocobo gp through celeste.smc tomorrow

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They don't appear to have the incentive for the bonus Pokemon Any% run open but it's still on the schedule so who knows what's going on with that

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cernunnos posted:

They don't appear to have the incentive for the bonus Pokemon Any% run open but it's still on the schedule so who knows what's going on with that

it's a short run so i doubt it is being axed. they probably just aren't opening the incentive yet and it will prolly be a relatively low dollar amount.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
If there's no visible incentive for it they haven't decided on a price yet.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Maddy <3

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Let’s go Gay Mountain Game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

who is this sexrex guy, sounds like a jerk

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Absolute Bell end

E. 8:03 summit is unreal

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 1, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

(This is possibly the best avatar in the whole of SA)

Celeste one of those games I enjoy seeing ran but I could never make it very far playing. I've beat some precision platformers but some of this stuff was just too hard.

Sounds like from the comments the rhythm game showcases were full of fun and wizardry again.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TeaJay posted:

Celeste one of those games I enjoy seeing ran but I could never make it very far playing.

:same:

i kinda want to dedicate the time to get good at celeste but precision platformers in general are not something i have ever had any skill in at all.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

A big secret about the story of Celeste is that it's actually about me personally thinking I wasn't good enough to play precision platformers at a high level before I started running the pico 8 version.

TeaJay posted:

(This is possibly the best avatar in the whole of SA)

don't snitch on me but this quote resonated so strongly with me that I actually set it to this before the game came out 🤫

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 1, 2022

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I never could get the dash jumps consistent to play Towerfall at a high level so the moment in Celeste where it told you to start doing them was the moment I put the game down. Love the games from Maddy and her blog post on the Towerfall engine was incredibly insightful when working on my own platformer prototypes when I was doing game dev.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Interestingly, tomorrow night there will be a speedrun race of a Super Mario World hack called Celeste.SMC that is a Celeste inspired Kaizo SMW hack. If you like Celeste, check it out.

Also, shortly after is a blind relay race of custom kaizo Super Mario World levels, one of which was made by Maddy.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Interestingly, tomorrow night there will be a speedrun race of a Super Mario World hack called Celeste.SMC that is a Celeste inspired Kaizo SMW hack. If you like Celeste, check it out.

Also, shortly after is a blind relay race of custom kaizo Super Mario World levels, one of which was made by Maddy.

I do love me some rom hack mario.

This Borderlands 2 run is fun, BOING BOING BOING.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

I think they've ran that one before because it sounds familiar. Or at least played one Celeste inspired level in some of their earlier mario maker relays.

Anyways I have high expectations for the blind relay race. Too bad I won't be able to catch it live (unless the schedule will be pushed back even further into the next morning)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TeaJay posted:

I think they've ran that one before because it sounds familiar. Or at least played one Celeste inspired level in some of their earlier mario maker relays.

Anyways I have high expectations for the blind relay race. Too bad I won't be able to catch it live (unless the schedule will be pushed back even further into the next morning)

They played a demo of part of the first level in the previous kaizo relay race a few years back, the full hack only just came out a few months ago.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
This doom run is good as hell

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
landed the trick called Moroccan spiced chicken with vegetables

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Blank Construct posted:

This doom run is good as hell

I really love speedruns on harder game settings, up that risk! Fantastic movement , great couch, good rear end indeed.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
This is an incredible run and its a shame that it ended up at 5am because gdq is so behind

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
That was some slick ballista movement.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wait what the gently caress i just got kicked out with "your free viewing trial has expired, subscribe to gamesdonequick to continue watching" :psyduck:

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
What in the world

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Kikas posted:

Wait what the gently caress i just got kicked out with "your free viewing trial has expired, subscribe to gamesdonequick to continue watching" :psyduck:

Twitch is an impossibly cursed video platform and hanging out with an engineer this week has only confirmed that bias

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Kikas posted:

you got a screenshot?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One thing I already mentioned is that how few classic retro console runs this event seems to have. I counted 5 NES runs and a couple Genesis/MD runs. Couple GBA runs too. SNES is probably the most featured retro console this time around.

Maybe at AGDQ we'll have a NES block again.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

you got a screenshot?

Unfortunately it is in polish as I'm watching on my TV. But re-starting the stream fixed it and I was able to watch this insane run to the end. They totally undersold how crazy the meathook movement was holy poo poo.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Fantastic run!

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Kikas posted:

Unfortunately it is in polish as I'm watching on my TV. But re-starting the stream fixed it and I was able to watch this insane run to the end. They totally undersold how crazy the meathook movement was holy poo poo.

Thanks lol :psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally watched the Tunic run and congrats to the devs, Ive never thought less of a game after a devs insightful commentary but now I have

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

What an intensely mean-spirited post

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm digging this Control run. Still haven't managed to play it myself, even though I think I have it on Epic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TeaJay posted:

I'm digging this Control run. Still haven't managed to play it myself, even though I think I have it on Epic.

it's a tad spartan when it comes to its core campaign - something like 8-10 hours - but it's got a bunch of side content to do if you end up liking the combat. $10-15 is a good price point for it imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Controls a super fun game with a couple of bits of design weirdness and cruft that keep it from greatness, but its definitely good enough if you like Third Person Gunplay and spooky bureaucracy can't have a better time.

It has a DLC that I wish did not exist even if, mechanically and content wise, that DLC is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barudak posted:

Controls a super fun game with a couple of bits of design weirdness and cruft that keep it from greatness, but its definitely good enough if you like Third Person Gunplay and spooky bureaucracy can't have a better time.

It has a DLC that I wish did not exist even if, mechanically and content wise, that DLC is fun.

The part where Control is a third person shooter is where it fell apart for me, but everything surrounding that core gameplay is very very good, and hell, the gameplay is still alright.