Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Was gonna do North America and countries and stuff but got lazy

e: Looking at this it's interesting to see where my assumptions end up being, and I wonder how it affects my worldview. I rememeber last time one of these memory maps got posted they e.g. put Japan way out off on its own, and my hunch was that's because they don't understand how integral Chinese/Korean civilization was to what it became -- if you know that, you know there's no way for it to not be close to them. I meanwhile know gently caress all about e.,g. New Guinea or the Philippines and as such plonked them down with no relationship to their neighbors whatsoever.
I bet I could have done a better Europe but I was phoning it in by the time I got to the top left. Other parts of the world, no excuse.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I learned about this profoundly dumb thing, so now you have to as well: Disney Villains Victorious.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rebel Blob posted:

I learned about this profoundly dumb thing, so now you have to as well: Disney Villains Victorious.

Is this...the EU3 map?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

where's gaston's hunk republic

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, "Chinese food" is the term people use there. There are specific terms for different styles if you want to specify but usually people just say Chinese food and you can correctly presume they're talking about what they grew up with.

One of the delivery apps I used there had "Chinese food" as one of the search categories and I always found it funny. Really narrows it down!

Japan does the same thing domestically with 'Japanese Food' except that map narrows it down to 'Sushi'. Inconsistent scales. 'Chinese Food' in China is thousands of different kinds of food, including local adaptions of other countries' food. Which I know you know, I'm just pointing out that it is stupid to use 'Chinese Food' on a map like that. They could have narrowed down to at least a specific 'genre' of popular food.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Groda posted:

Sweden and Singapore are in love with each other in a very consumerist bröderbund way.

They make awesome edutainment games ?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reveilled posted:

Is this...the EU3 map?
That was my first thought/question.

Also why is magenta not part of the Africa list?

Koramei posted:

Was gonna do North America and countries and stuff but got lazy

I'm the Aral Sea.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm sulawesi

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I guess this passes for a map.

China notably doesn't like any foreign cuisines.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

No chance is fish and chips more popular in Canada than pizza, shawarma and Chinese.

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 1, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I also don't believe Pizza is the most popular take away item in india

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

quote:

Methodology
We used Google search data (searching all languages) to establish the average monthly search volume in each country for common search terms associated with ordering a takeaway, such as ‘pizza takeaway’, ‘pizza delivery’ and ‘pizza takeout’. The most searched for takeaway choice was then used as the top takeout cuisine for the specific country. Data correct as of December 2020. 

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I was gonna say, I suspected either search engine or Twitter mentions, since those seem like the popular zero-effort method for making a lovely conversation-piece map like this.

Like, there must be hundreds of food items in India more popular for take-out than pizza, but I bet most people have their go-to local spot and don't need to look up a place. Pizza, meanwhile, is probably ordered infrequently enough that when someone wants it, they have to search for a place first.

In Korea's case, pizza is fairly popular for take-out, but I doubt it's more popular than fried chicken or (Koreanized) Chinese food.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Arglebargle III posted:

China notably doesn't like any foreign cuisines.

To be fair, the western food available in China isn't always very well made either.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

To be fair, the western food available in China isn't always very well made either.

have the italians ever stopped to consider that they might be wrong about their cooking

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Most "foreign" food in China (this also applies to Korea) is barely recognizable as whatever it's supposed to be. I've had more than a few things where I'm pretty sure the cook saw a blurry picture of the food in question once and then just made up some poo poo.

One of my favorites that happened to a friend was a baked potato. The cook didn't know what sour cream was but had apparently seen pictures, so it had a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

redleader posted:

have the italians ever stopped to consider that they might be wrong about their cooking

Conan went to italy and got an italian meal with jordan schlansky and whipped out a packet of ketchup

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I guess this passes for a map.

:finland:

This is just a matter of marketing, I am sure. Who would not love these culinary delights?

Chopped vegatables boiled in milk

Sweetened potatoes in unrecognisable form

Mystery meat boiled (with carrots and potatoes)

Peas every Thursday

and for dessert

Leftovers from beer making, served with cream and sugar

:shrug:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Letmebefrank posted:

:finland:

This is just a matter of marketing, I am sure. Who would not love these culinary delights?

:shrug:

I do appreciate the brevity, where the name of the dish is also the recipe.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The stew looks good :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bodyholes posted:

Another dig at NC since I live here but I did a test to see how many people knew the capital of Canada in college. The results were... concerning.

Why tho, itd make way more sense to see if they knew something important instead

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

This one confuses me because where are all the US americans who don't like spag balls. That is not an uncommon food. My only guess is most people just call it spaghetti with meat sauce instead of bolognaise?

Also thank you Hong Kong and Indonesia for having correct opinions on the ketchup pasta.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 1, 2022

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Grand Fromage posted:

Most "foreign" food in China (this also applies to Korea) is barely recognizable as whatever it's supposed to be. I've had more than a few things where I'm pretty sure the cook saw a blurry picture of the food in question once and then just made up some poo poo.

One of my favorites that happened to a friend was a baked potato. The cook didn't know what sour cream was but had apparently seen pictures, so it had a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on it.

This is one of those things I think has improved dramatically in recent years, most of the foreign (western-style; other non-Asian stuff is still sparse) I’ve had in Korea has been pretty good, and the best pizza I’ve had in my life was in Busan (and I live in NYC).
There’s still some atrocious stuff out there but I think tastes have improved a lot. I heard the same about coffee before my time too, these days you can’t go a block in a big city without tripping over 3 different and usually pretty good coffee shops but apparently back in the day things were dire.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This one confuses me because where are all the US americans who don't like spag balls. That is not an uncommon food. My only guess is most people just call it spaghetti with meat sauce instead of bolognaise?

Also thank you Hong Kong and Indonesia for having correct opinions on the ketchup pasta.

My guess is something along the lines of "No, bolognese goes with tagliatelle".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koramei posted:

This is one of those things I think has improved dramatically in recent years, most of the foreign (western-style; other non-Asian stuff is still sparse) I’ve had in Korea has been pretty good, and the best pizza I’ve had in my life was in Busan (and I live in NYC).
There’s still some atrocious stuff out there but I think tastes have improved a lot. I heard the same about coffee before my time too, these days you can’t go a block in a big city without tripping over 3 different and usually pretty good coffee shops but apparently back in the day things were dire.

Well there's your problem, world's most overrated pizza city

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Definitely agree. Manhattan food in general is super overrated. Queens has some good stuff though.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Reveilled posted:

My guess is something along the lines of "No, bolognese goes with tagliatelle".

It might be half that and half the a case of misreading "bolognese sauce" as "bologna sausage."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e - oops wrong thread sorry.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 1, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I honestly don't know if I've ever heard it called 'bolognese sauce' in terms of spaghetti, it's just 'meat sauce'. Spell check's also saying it isn't a word.

Also, good kitties.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Byzantine posted:

I honestly don't know if I've ever heard it called 'bolognese sauce' in terms of spaghetti, it's just 'meat sauce'. Spell check's also saying it isn't a word.

Also, good kitties.

I like the one in the middle who is a brazen poser

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Japanese food is very popular in Brazil (in general, it's not just sushi), but i really doubt it's more popular than pizza. Easily second place though.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

I love that the "Sultanate of Agrabah," which maps onto the Umayyad Caliphate but with less than half of Spain and even greater holdings throughout Asia, is categorized as a European empire.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seeing that quoted again, I would like to know what alt world the mapmakers are from where Kashmir is independent but Kyrgyztan and Tajikistan are in the PRC.

e: food map not disney map

The US/Mexico border or the borders of the Pizza Union can be clearly seen, but China has just eaten its western neighbours

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 1, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Bring back the black cats!

Rebel Blob posted:

This sounds like it'd be a fun Civ mod.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Byzantine posted:

Bring back the black cats!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The modern wobblies have somewhere north of 9000 US members and 12000 total members, including 2000 in the UK, so I'm very curious what the colour scheme of this map represents. Canada stealing a ton of valour. In fact I'd bet my life Baffin Island isn't denser with IWW members than anywhere in the United States.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 1, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rebel Blob posted:

Apparently only Elsa cares about her EEZ

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

steinrokkan posted:

Apparently only Elsa cares about her EEZ

Oil and fisheries, she's got good sense.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Interesting that she only cares about the peninsula proper and leaves Finland to Chernobog and Denmark to the Evil Queen.

There's some big pulls in there. Pirates of the Caribbean is counted so it's not just taking animated movies into account, but Santa Anna from Disney's Davy Crockett movie sure is something. Why not include Hitler from Bedknobs and Broomsticks?

Nobody remembers the movie Dinosaur, but I was under the impression that the Carnotaur specifically wasn't on the island with all the lemurs, he was in the place they went after the island got hit by meteors.

Brave is technically not a disney movie, Te Ka is technically not a villain, Bagheera definitely isn't a villain, but whoever made the map really liked The Jungle Book.

Venice is Pleasure Island. No idea what's going on with Japan.

Frionnel posted:

Japanese food is very popular in Brazil (in general, it's not just sushi), but i really doubt it's more popular than pizza. Easily second place though.

Buddy I've seen Brazilian pizza. Nobody's happy ordering that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SlothfulCobra posted:

Venice is Pleasure Island.
I spent too long looking for that.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why not include Hitler from Bedknobs and Broomsticks?
And Der Fuehrer's Face!