Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Accept no bloody substitutes, laddies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/SPACEdotcom/status/1542620971458330624

Space Force just created a proto-Section 31.

It’s probably keeping track of any armed satellites that Russia sent up into space during the Cold War and beyond and/or actively monitoring any space debris that could pose a risk of kicking off a Kessler Syndrome catastrophe more than aliens or whatever :tinfoil:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

I don't know, judging by the logo, it looks like somebody's a Stargate fan :allears:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
There was some news article a few months back talking with members of Space Force and they were all miserable because no-one believes it's a real thing. They would go places and get people asking them what uniform that was and what branch they were with and when they respond 'Space Force' people would just laugh in their face.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cross-Section posted:

I don't know, judging by the logo, it looks like somebody's a Stargate fan :allears:

Yeah, are they defending us from the Goa'uld or aspiring to become the Goa'uld? Do they even have a Ha'tak or are they slumming around in Al'keshes still?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

There was some news article a few months back talking with members of Space Force and they were all miserable because no-one believes it's a real thing. They would go places and get people asking them what uniform that was and what branch they were with and when they respond 'Space Force' people would just laugh in their face.

I imagine they feel pretty silly after they wake up from that zat blast

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, are they defending us from the Goa'uld or aspiring to become the Goa'uld? Do they even have a Ha'tak or are they slumming around in Al'keshes still?

Well they've pulled the engine out of a crashed Death Glider and strapped it to a plane, they're just getting ready to test it but everyone's very confident!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

McSpanky posted:

Accept no bloody substitutes, laddies

drat right.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Red Warrior posted:

Because like just about every aspect of the Trump Presidency, people thought it was a joke until it had to be pointed out to them that it was in fact 100% serious, just monumentally stupid as a well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just rename it back to Space Command, it's a much more appropriate name.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Name it Star Command to ride the hype train of Disney/Pixar's smash-hit Lightyear

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gonz posted:

They already have a Section 31.

It does software development.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Because like just about every aspect of the Trump Presidency, people thought it was a joke until it had to be pointed out to them that it was in fact 100% serious, just monumentally stupid as a well.

That feeling...

"Haha, Trump would do that if he were president."
"He is... and he did."
"Haha, suits him to a T."
"It's stupid as gently caress."
"I know, can you imagine?!?"
"...again, it happened. For real."
"HAHAHAHAHAHA"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let me tell you, the thing that dates Star Trek more today is the fact that canon history involves a global WWIII rather than a splintering and dissolution of the republic from internal forces. Though, maybe that will spark a global WWIII.

All I know is I'm feeling like the money in my 401k isn't going to get a chance to be spent.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol just lol if you aren’t hoarding silver in a safe in your garage

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

I'm so glad :allears:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Lol just lol if you aren’t hoarding silver in a safe in your garage

for the inevitable werewolf uprising or...?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Red Warrior posted:

You have to feel bad for the people who got caught in the middle like that. They went from being part of the Air Force Space Command, which sounded awesome and surely impressed the hell out of people at parties, to being Captain Video's Space Cadets and no one takes them seriously anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It doesn't help that their uniforms look like a low-budget sci-fi channel show from the early 00s.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Should've gone with being Homo Spaciens.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The best part about how dumb this all is, is that Space Force would have happened regardless of who was president at the time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tighclops posted:

The best part about how dumb this all is, is that Space Force would have happened regardless of who was president at the time.

I would like to see why that's the case. What made Space Force inevitable?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wish STO wasn't so bad and I wish there was a good modern Star Trek game

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I would like to see why that's the case. What made Space Force inevitable?

Because the plans for it were in motion before Trump got elected. The Pentagon are worried that other nations like Russia and China are either matching or leapfrogging their own abilities in what they view as the next battlefield and organizing a new branch of the military about it is their response

Please note that I didn't say it was a good plan

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah the Space Force or something like it was always in the works and the pentagon was pretty gung-ho about it. When Trump got in for a while he just did whatever the generals said because he's a moronic boomer who loved "Patton" until he eventually found out they were all clowning on him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hell yeah let's Speedrun Kessler Syndrome

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The future is the blade runner sequel mashed up with children of men, if you are reading this you'll get the children of men part

If you're really lucky you'll get to be Michael Caine

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

Because the plans for it were in motion before Trump got elected. The Pentagon are worried that other nations like Russia and China are either matching or leapfrogging their own abilities in what they view as the next battlefield and organizing a new branch of the military about it is their response

Please note that I didn't say it was a good plan

During World War II, something like a third of the US Army was on the aviation side, and those folks were clearly doing very different things than the rest of the Army. It made perfect sense to spin them off, and so after the war the US Air Force was born.

In contrast, the Space Command was something like two percent of the Air Force. They were the ones in charge of the satellites: spy sats, the GPS constellation, military comsats, etc. Important stuff, to be sure, but... do they really need to have their own uniforms, and bases, and academy, and theme song, and football team, and flag, and recruiters squatting in dying mini-malls all across the country?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tighclops posted:

The future is the blade runner sequel mashed up with children of men, if you are reading this you'll get the children of men part

I've got my Quietus appointment all booked!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

In contrast, the Space Command was something like two percent of the Air Force. They were the ones in charge of the satellites: spy sats, the GPS constellation, military comsats, etc. Important stuff, to be sure, but... do they really need to have their own uniforms, and bases, and academy, and theme song, and football team, and flag, and recruiters squatting in dying mini-malls all across the country?

:tinfoil: yes because as a new branch they technically aren't banned from being used for domestic law enforcement

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tighclops posted:

The future is pretty much The Windup Girl, and/or The Peripheral.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's definitely a good amount of Snow Crash in the pipes, at least the first section

the best part is people who are just now rewatching all those 70's/80's/90's movies that steadily got more overt in their "the corporate techno-dystopia IS COMING" messaging and picking up on that

like a friend just rewatched Total Recall for the first time in years and was like "lol how long til they actually start charging money for air" and I'm just like :catstare:

A.o.D. posted:

Hell yeah let's Speedrun Kessler Syndrome

a game I just played (Hardspace: Shipbreaker) takes place in the near-future where crossing the Kessler debris field to leave Earth has like a 95% chance of death, unless you go into massive debt paying for a ticket off-world through the 1 megacorp that possesses the tech/debris maps to safely chart the trip, and it's depressingly not that far-fetched

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 1, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
So much bullshit is getting slowly normalized and institutionalized that, much like the slowly boiled frog, we can't even really tell how deep we are creeping into our dystopia. I like to use the self-check stations to human cashiers ratio at a typical Walmart as a thermometer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

do they really need to have their own uniforms, and bases, and academy, and theme song, and football team, and flag

They're the Air Force's Marines. They get their own uniform and flag, but go to the Air Force Academy and play football for them.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wish STO wasn't so bad and I wish there was a good modern Star Trek game

yea

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
STO is frustrating because the space combat and customization are great ideas bogged down by every other aspect of the game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the first mistake was making it an MMO.

Hey remember that time Hilary Clinton did unethical surgery on Worf's spine?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tighclops posted:

STO is frustrating because the space combat and customization are great ideas bogged down by every other aspect of the game

Yeah. I would sell an organ for a modern remake of Starfleet Command 2 or 3.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i still play that fleet ops mod for armada 2 occasionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the first devs who made it produced a lot of concept art and no workable product

the current company got the contract slammed over to them and had to frantically hack Champions Online into a Star Trek Game within a few months

all its problems can be traced back to being a superhero mmo