Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Playing MGS5 on this thing was pretty loving wild last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I really love how versatile this device is. Can it run 3D games at 40fps with a good amount of fidelity? Yes. Can it also run Vampire Survivors for several hours? Very yes.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I gave in to the word of mouth of Vampire Survivors.

Does it look like a burn victim. Yes. Do I constantly want to take another stab at it. Also yes.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cowman posted:

how are you guys checking this? I'm curious what mine is at.

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Iacen posted:

I gave in to the word of mouth of Vampire Survivors.

Does it look like a burn victim. Yes. Do I constantly want to take another stab at it. Also yes.

Can confirm, just spent like 2 hours playing it this morning (on PC, at least). It's hard to put down even if it looks pretty crispy.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

jokes posted:

For real though what should I play on my deck

Been really enjoying the batman Arkham series

And jump man for the bathroom as it's pretty good for short burtsts

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

Monster Hunter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Playing MGS5 on this thing was pretty loving wild last night

It runs so flawlessly

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It runs so flawlessly

I got the Deck on the way. Does MGSV run at 60fps or is it better at 40fps? I'm finally gonna play that stupid game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

an iksar marauder posted:

It’s a bullet hell for the enemies, not for you

bullets for thee but not for me!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Animal posted:

I got the Deck on the way. Does MGSV run at 60fps or is it better at 40fps? I'm finally gonna play that stupid game.

60. Tbh almost everything I’ve played runs at 60 out of the box.

But I also usually play near an outlet so the 2-3 hour battery life for 60fps AAA games works fine for me.

I’d only really use the 40 fps cap on a trip where I couldn’t charge personally.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

60. Tbh almost everything I’ve played runs at 60 out of the box.

But I also usually play near an outlet so the 2-3 hour battery life for 60fps AAA games works fine for me.

I’d only really use the 40 fps cap on a trip where I couldn’t charge personally.

I’m hoping for Elden Ring locked at 40.

Anyways I’ve put a bunch of games on an external SSD to transfer to the Deck when I receive it. Here they are:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Animal posted:

Anyways I’ve put a bunch of games on an external SSD to transfer to the Deck when I receive it. Here they are:

Excellent. I have to admit, I've been mostly using my Deck to play games that could run reasonably well on a literal phone, like Siralim Ultimate and Monster Sanctuary. But I've installed Elden Ring on it now, I'm determined to break out of this habit.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
No man's sky took a lot of reconfiguring to get the controls just right but it is great on the deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chainchompz posted:

No man's sky took a lot of reconfiguring to get the controls just right but it is great on the deck.

Really? I haven’t had any issues with the default ones. It seems to work exactly like it should.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Animal posted:

Let me know if you can get this because everything I’ve seen it seems like a locked 30 for sure but 40 not so much.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Same, I pulled up the "recommended" bindings and there's a couple minor nitpicks I have about the inventory tabbing but I think the only actual change I made was changing which back button was bound to run out of personal preference

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

perfect thanks! Looks like I ordered a lot later into the preorders than I thought so it'll be a while for me.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Animal posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Let me know if you can get this because everything I’ve seen it seems like a locked 30 for sure but 40 not so much.

i did like 100 hours of elden ring on the deck. I used the 40fps lock in steamOS, most settings on low, and resolution at 720p. This gave me framerate in the upper 30's for most of the game, and basically never going below 35. It wasn't rock solid 40fps though, but I didn't mind much.

30fps locked is very attainable with medium settings at 720p, very very infrequent dips below 30.
Getting a solid locked 40 fps is some work/tweaking: use the low graphic presets and resolution at 540p with FSR to start off. Incrementally change your settings until you hit an acceptable balance with occasional dips. Can also depend on area/amount of enemies/spells/etc.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

I just can't play any FPS with a controller unfortunately.

It's not so bad if the devs were kind enough to add an aim assist option :buddy:

jokes posted:

Death Stranding, Cyberpunk, Mechwarrior 5, Ace Combat 7 is my current rotation. Picked up No Man's Sky for when I inevitably do everything there is to do in DS. I can't believe I can play this poo poo handheld.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Samopsa posted:

i did like 100 hours of elden ring on the deck. I used the 40fps lock in steamOS, most settings on low, and resolution at 720p. This gave me framerate in the upper 30's for most of the game, and basically never going below 35. It wasn't rock solid 40fps though, but I didn't mind much.

30fps locked is very attainable with medium settings at 720p, very very infrequent dips below 30.
Getting a solid locked 40 fps is some work/tweaking: use the low graphic presets and resolution at 540p with FSR to start off. Incrementally change your settings until you hit an acceptable balance with occasional dips. Can also depend on area/amount of enemies/spells/etc.

Ok thanks! This helps!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Marx Headroom posted:

It's not so bad if the devs were kind enough to add an aim assist option :buddy:

I'm too proud for that, I have to use my headshot skills for something. I am OK with aim assisted third person shooters on controller sometimes, though. But hey, these are just my arbitrary rules, don't let me stop you if you enjoy FPS on a controller, I just can't.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so my deck's only real problem just seems to be overheating and that's mitigatable with graphical tuning or forcing 40fps so i'm happy for now. so far only a couple of games have really set the deck into temperature hyperdrive, Blacksad, Hell Pie and Alekon (and I assume the XEL demo since it had a freeze, but I didn't check the temps at the time). In the case of Blacksad & Hell Pie I locked them to 40fps to dial down the GPU load, and Alekon I just changed some graphical settings and then I could keep it at 60.

May just have to do with game optimization :shrug: Alekon is not a super GPU-intensive looking game (it's a Pokemon Snap-like) but it may just not be optimized for underpowered PCs. Makes me think any AAA game is gonna need an FPS lock to keep the Deck under 90C, while indie games will mostly be OK with some exceptions.

I was able to play through all of Dysmantle and Crystal Project (a combined 75 hours) at 60fps and I only needed to make minor graphical tweaks to Dysmantle. So if a dev is really good at Unity or UE, or has a custom engine, then my Deck should be able to stay at safe temperatures

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Siralim ultimate worth getting if I liked crystal project and monster sanctuary? I’ve basically gravitated towards 2d games only on the deck, 3d games are better for me with mouse and keyboard on my big PC.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Samopsa posted:

Thanks. Seems like the trade offs are not worth it, I’ll take a higher quality, stable frame paced 30fps over an ugly and unstable 40fps. I hope the next Steam Deck has a VRR screen with a range down to 30.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

MarcusSA posted:

Really? I haven’t had any issues with the default ones. It seems to work exactly like it should.

Yeah the default controls for it just didn't feel right to me and I've been playing on controller + PC, too.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Help! A performance overlay appeared out of nowhere, top left in the pic, but I have it turned off in settings:

I didn’t intentionally turn this on, but maybe I accidentally hit a shortcut or something? I pulled up the general performance overlay, and as you can see it’s turned off, so I don’t know where this is coming from. Appears in all games.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

The Pirate Captain posted:

Help! A performance overlay appeared out of nowhere, top left in the pic, but I have it turned off in settings:

I didn’t intentionally turn this on, but maybe I accidentally hit a shortcut or something? I pulled up the general performance overlay, and as you can see it’s turned off, so I don’t know where this is coming from. Appears in all games.

It's that slider, but it's buggy and sometimes comes on for no reason. I've found that going to a few different levels on that slider then back to OFF usually fixes it. Otherwise give it a restart!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Question Time posted:

Siralim ultimate worth getting if I liked crystal project and monster sanctuary? I’ve basically gravitated towards 2d games only on the deck, 3d games are better for me with mouse and keyboard on my big PC.

It's not really very much like either of those. It's all about developing absolutely ridiculous synergies with your monsters. The story is paper thin and the campaign is really only the tutorial for how the game works. You can play it forever if it clicks with you, and it really did click for me. It's not all that difficult, but it is *awesome* when you hit on a monster combination that works and find an item that makes one of their abilities get extremely silly. If you like systems mastery you'll like it.
Also you can get costumes that make your character into a dog or cat.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Pirate Captain posted:

Just turn the overlay on and off again, that has solved any buggy buggy behavior. If it still persists, then a reboot will solve it.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

23 Skidoo posted:

Will be reserving when my tax return comes through for hopefully October '22 Q3;

Decided to wait until it's available in Australia, or for the inevitable sequel.
Have too much of a backlog already, and with the pressure of a PC backlog in portable mode, I'd probably self destruct.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
So I'm doing the steps to set up Gamepass on this thing and I'm stuck on the step where you add Microsoft Edge Beta as a non steam game. It just doesn't show up in the list of non-steam games to add, no matter how many times I add it to steam from the application menu. Anyone had this problem and get past this? I'm googling the problem but having trouble finding anything that addresses hangups at this step.

edit: resolved it, it was just adding the game to steam and skipping a step for me, so I had like 6 Microsoft Edge browsers in there.

Got it working though and this is pretty sweet, but of course just adds even more poo poo for me to decide from when playing, oy!

edit 2: So I got PS5 remote play working too with Chiaki but it only works on my local network. Anyone know how to get that working outside a local network? Port forwarding has always been a bit of a weak point in my tech skills. I'm on Comcast/Xfinity. My router claims to let me do it and I used a guide to set up port forwarding, looked up my local IP, but I'm not sure how to get it to gel with Chiari itself. Once I set up the original PS5's settings I can't seem to find a way to go in and edit them. I'm also not sure I did the port forwarding right in the first place. if anyone's figured it out and has an idea, I'll try whatever is thrown at me tomorrow night.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 4, 2022

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
If I want to load up my SD card before my Deck arrives, precisely what should I format the card to? And can I dump the files into directories of my choosing or do I need to generate a specific directory structure?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Deck has broken me into an unproductive slob, I haven't played video games like this so addictively since I was college accomplishing nothing in life. I find myself staying up until 4 or 5 every night just in bed on the Deck chipping away at my backlog.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If I want to load up my SD card before my Deck arrives, precisely what should I format the card to? And can I dump the files into directories of my choosing or do I need to generate a specific directory structure?

Don't do it unless you're running linux on your current pc. The deck uses ext4 (with casefolding), which isn't supported by windows.

My advice: let the deck format the card. You can copy over stuff later using wifi through warpinator (on the deck, install through the store in desktop mode) and winpinator (on your pc, from https://winpinator.swisz.cz/). It's hella quick and convenient. If you'd rather copy stuff without wifi you can connect an external HD or something to the deck, but remember it only has an usb-c port so you'll probably need a hub/dock; and you cannot charge the deck at the same time if you're not using a dock/hub that has power-passthrough.

The file structure on the sd card is just like you're used to, you can just directly copy poo poo like ROMS or whatever in folders however you like.
It's also possible to copy your steam library or certain games onto the deck's SD-card from another device and it should just work (it just needs to download some shaders/compatibility files for most games afterwards); but most of the time just downloading it from steam is faster/easier and makes sure it's all clean.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Warpinator is quick and easy, super easy. I’m really bad at computers and I got it to work

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Thanks for the help everyone. The problem actually persisted through a reboot (patch + reboot) but a second reboot made it go away.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The new AI Somnium Files: nirvana initiative doesn't actually fill the screen all the way on the steam deck. I found out you can also like force a resolution, and even though I did that and messed around with the launcher settings, I still get black bars on the top and bottom.

Watching this video, I can see the guy was able to override it but he doesn't provide any details. Anyone know how to do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6tDXrzaBoA&t=256s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Goddamn, RE Village runs like a champ on balanced settings and the framerate cap at 40. Setting the gyro aim to L2 full press so it turns on when you're actually aiming made it even better to play.

The Deck rules.