Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

no, intensely analytic self-critical approaching middle age nerds aren't anybody's target demographic. if you just got rid of that loving self-critical part, maybe we could sell some poo poo to them god damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

roomtone posted:

it's gotta have a calming effect even if it doesn't rise to the level of their actual opinions

it's like that thing where if somebody is about to change an opinion, any push in the direction of change at that moment will cause them to snap back

just let it settle in.

It's on the level of talking (conversing, not arguing or fighting) with normal people who have opposing views. Once you stop trying to conquer other people's ideas and just talk and listen, it's a lot easier to use that rapport in a non-threatening way to foster understanding, even if you don't outright change their minds, which you won't, directly or immediately. And that's actually ok.

Yes, I realize I'm typing this onto the internet.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

strangle them until their opinion is changed?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Worf posted:

strangle them until their opinion is changed?

Post and username checks out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This seems as good a time as any to reiterate my theory that Worf becomes a terrorist that calls everyone decadent cowards wasn't a crime because it was all fake, as part of a Risan Fantasy Island type thing. That was literally Worf's Good Vacation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sash! posted:

This seems as good a time as any to reiterate my theory that Worf becomes a terrorist that calls everyone decadent cowards wasn't a crime because it was all fake, as part of a Risan Fantasy Island type thing. That was literally Worf's Good Vacation.

This checks out, I say we go with it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

Does this mean Risa has a whole thing going on where it's like they make Disney's Star Wars hotel actually work? I suppose that's one way to run your railroad.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They gotta compete with holodecks now, I bet it's a new thing they're trying to win back business

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Does this mean Risa has a whole thing going on where it's like they make Disney's Star Wars hotel actually work? I suppose that's one way to run your railroad.

Also explains the entirety of Captain's Holiday.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Captains Holiday was The Game. Should have had him shoot Riker holding a bottle of Picard Wine right before they revealed the ruse.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I caught "The Offspring" on BBC America this morning. When the admiral is tells Lal she must go to Starfleet for study, it triggers her fear emotion which leads to her death.

Shouldn't he have been charged somehow? Had he not been a dick, she might have lived a little longer.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

star trek never seems to mind making its admirals reprehensible poo poo bags, ship thieves, etc

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Admiral Kirk was a galactic menace

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I caught "The Offspring" on BBC America this morning. When the admiral is tells Lal she must go to Starfleet for study, it triggers her fear emotion which leads to her death.

Shouldn't he have been charged somehow? Had he not been a dick, she might have lived a little longer.

I don’t think he could reasonably be held responsible - it’s not like anyone warned him or seemed aware themselves that stress or fear could kill her.

If anything, it’d make his point for him - that a starship was too risky a place for Lal to live long term.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lals dead sovereignty

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Worf posted:

star trek never seems to mind making its admirals reprehensible poo poo bags, ship thieves, etc

Also treasonous edgelords. Like, they get that extra pip and suddenly they are wiping their asses with every treaty, planning watergates, developing forbidden secret weapons etc.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Now I want a Lower Decks spinoff that is just a bunch of Badmirals getting up to no good and generally wrecking the place.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Penitent posted:

Also treasonous edgelords. Like, they get that extra pip and suddenly they are wiping their asses with every treaty, planning watergates, developing forbidden secret weapons etc.

Yeah its a really amusing mechanism

Rip cal Hudson tho

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Worf posted:

Gene Roddenberry and Gene Coon were both military veterans, so they had opinions about diplomats and superior officers and how they would let soldiers die for advantages.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apropos of the last comment, when did Eugene (Gene) go out of style? By 1986(?) it was already known as unfavorable enough a name as to be one of the leads of Revenge of the Nerds. But it's a good name -- it means well-born in Greek. Just curious. Was there some big shift around the name in US culture?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Penitent posted:

And illin' MCs.

Dougherty O U T

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
God, I completely forgot about Admiral "Trail of Tears" Dougherty.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Admiralty Flag posted:

Apropos of the last comment, when did Eugene (Gene) go out of style? By 1986(?) it was already known as unfavorable enough a name as to be one of the leads of Revenge of the Nerds. But it's a good name -- it means well-born in Greek. Just curious. Was there some big shift around the name in US culture?

Gene is making a comeback in a big way!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They all died out in the Eugeneics Wars

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Angry Salami posted:

I don’t think he could reasonably be held responsible - it’s not like anyone warned him or seemed aware themselves that stress or fear could kill her.

If anything, it’d make his point for him - that a starship was too risky a place for Lal to live long term.

Do androids hold grudges?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rue Daneel Olivaw

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Penitent posted:

God, I completely forgot about Admiral "Trail of Tears" Dougherty.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a genocide admiral hmm?

Tbh him and Picard going back was cool. I didn't hate that movie like many did but it was pretty dumb even at the time, which is saying something since I was probably 11

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What's the best tasting emotion chip?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

What's the best tasting emotion chip?

Zesty mordant or dressed all over

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Limeranch

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Kesper North posted:

lmao

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Looks like it peaked in the late 1920s, a few years after Roddenberry was born, and declined thereafter:

https://nametrends.net/name.php?name=Eugene

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Admiralty Flag posted:

There's some point where names are just your grandpa's name and they get abandoned.

I went to high school with a Eugene and I'm pretty sure that he was actually a Yevgeni too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kesper North posted:

Lal

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Worf posted:

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a genocide admiral hmm?

Tbh him and Picard going back was cool. I didn't hate that movie like many did but it was pretty dumb even at the time, which is saying something since I was probably 11

Insurrection is my go-to dumb fun Trek movie watch. I don't care how bad it is, the film just has this vibe to it that fuckin' slaps. Like it's always the middle of July and I'm 13 whenever I watch it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Insurrection is my go-to dumb fun Trek movie watch. I don't care how bad it is, the film just has this vibe to it that fuckin' slaps. Like it's always the middle of July and I'm 13 whenever I watch it.

DEFINITELY FEELING AGGRESSIVE TENDENCIES

lmao yeah Ill end up watching that soon. The part with the riker maneuver and poo poo is awesome

Is that the one where riker is like GEORDI EJECT THE WARP CORE!

and geordi is like :smugbert: I just did

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I don't think I could go back and watch Insurrection again. There are fun moments, like Riker and Troi getting back together and the quip about Riker's chin being as smooth as an android's behind, but there's enough cringe in it to keep me from liking it.

That being said, I'd rather rewatch Insurrection one hundred times rather than rewatch Nemesis once.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I don't think I could go back and watch Insurrection again. There are fun moments, like Riker and Troi getting back together and the quip about Riker's chin being as smooth as an android's behind, but there's enough cringe in it to keep me from liking it.

That being said, I'd rather rewatch Insurrection one hundred times rather than rewatch Nemesis once.

Especially with the Frakes/Sirtis commentary track.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bogus Adventure posted:

I rewatched it like a year or so ago and it’s an odd movie. Definitely more comedy heavy than the other TNG movies. Worf’s whole time in the movie once they rescue Data is just a long running joke about him having pimples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Especially with the Frakes/Sirtis commentary track.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I rewatched it like a year or so ago and it’s an odd movie. Definitely more comedy heavy than the other TNG movies. Worf’s whole time in the movie once they rescue Data is just a long running joke about him having pimples

Yeah, it's not terrible. I like the overall pitch of having a TNG movie where the crew is trying to save a native species from being exploited rather than an ultra-action and special effects bonanza. You can have a goofy movie like that a la The Voyage Home. However, the funny bits in Insurrection just did not land for me. I also hated the Son'a design. It was a cool concept, but they ended up looking way too goofy and plastic. I can forgive that in a TV episode more than in a movie.