Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

an iksar marauder posted:

Warpinator is quick and easy, super easy. I’m really bad at computers and I got it to work

unless you have a static IP setup without wifi on the PC end. Biggest annoyance from the deck so far (and still), only works when I set it up through proton directly, but the settings are getting frequently wiped.

Have not found any solution yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

haldolium posted:

unless you have a static IP setup without wifi on the PC end. Biggest annoyance from the deck so far (and still), only works when I set it up through proton directly, but the settings are getting frequently wiped.

Have not found any solution yet.

I'm using a PC on static IP without wifi (ethernet to router) and warpinator/winpinator work just fine. Go to winpinator and warpinator's preferences and change the network adapter selection from auto to your ethernet adapter on each device. I dunno what yours is on the PC, but on the Deck it is wlan0. If I leave winpinator on auto, it shows the Deck as offline in the list, but changing the pref to my ethernet adapter instead of auto changes the status to online.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yes I couldn't get it to work either until I told it the right ethernet adapter.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm using a PC on static IP without wifi (ethernet to router) and warpinator/winpinator work just fine. Go to winpinator and warpinator's preferences and change the network adapter selection from auto to your ethernet adapter on each device. I dunno what yours is on the PC, but on the Deck it is wlan0. If I leave winpinator on auto, it shows the Deck as offline in the list, but changing the pref to my ethernet adapter instead of auto changes the status to online.

gonna check the settings later, thx. Is your Deck dhcp then?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Doesn't change anything, the Deck in its DHCP wifi environment is not detected by Warpinator within static IP LAN.

/its not even "offline" - its not detected at all unless I change the Deck to static IP, which for some completely unknown reason never works from the Steam UI directly and when setup through Proton works (also works when then switching back to Steam and using the connection) but gets wiped eventually, resetting the connection to "Auto" within proton

Maybe its a router thing but its a fairly common one and not overly customized setup

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 4, 2022

Butt Frenzy
Jul 29, 2004
My US 512 GB just went from 73% to getting my email today! Excited for my Vampires Survivors machine.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Missionary Positron posted:

Setting the gyro aim to L2 full press so it turns on when you're actually aiming made it even better to play.

drat thats a great idea. Ive been turning the gyro off because having it always on when touching the right stick was making me seasick when running around in fps games but that might actually work for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Butt Frenzy posted:

My US 512 GB just went from 73% to getting my email today! Excited for my Vampires Survivors machine.

Mine just popped too; I think I was at 86%.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If I want to load up my SD card before my Deck arrives, precisely what should I format the card to? And can I dump the files into directories of my choosing or do I need to generate a specific directory structure?

Mine is also on the way, and I’m gonna be on a shifty hotel wifi so downloading the games or using a wifi file transfer app is not an option. I did some research and it seems the best method is to transfer your games to an external USB-C drive if you have one. Then let the Steam Deck format the SD card, go into desktop mode, plug in the external drive, transfer your games to the Steam Deck’s game folders (should be steamapps/common just like in Windows.) Once the games are inside the Deck, then go back to the Gaming UI and choose to download those games. The Deck should find them already in its storage, verify integrity, and download any proton compatibility files it needs

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Just got mine. Was at 83%. What’s the usual ship time from paying to doorstep in California?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

jabro posted:

Just got mine. Was at 83%. What’s the usual ship time from paying to doorstep in California?

Mine was about a week

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Papercut posted:

Mine was about a week

Not too bad but at first I was like drat that's a long time. Amazon has me spoiled.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jabro posted:

Yeah about a week for me to LA as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sigh, 4.12% for US-region 512.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Sigh, 4.12% for US-region 512.

I bet it'll start zooming through the hours pretty quick now that they've gotten through the bulk of the initial rush

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I bet it'll start zooming through the hours pretty quick now that they've gotten through the bulk of the initial rush

From your lips to Gabe’s ear…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People who have Decks: how is the battery drain when sleeping? One thing I don’t like about my Switch (maybe the only thing other than lack of Bluetooth audio) is that after a few days of sleeping the battery is dead or nearly so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

People who have Decks: how is the battery drain when sleeping? One thing I don’t like about my Switch (maybe the only thing other than lack of Bluetooth audio) is that after a few days of sleeping the battery is dead or nearly so.

It seems pretty drat good tbh.

It’s way better than the switch imo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

It seems pretty drat good tbh.

It’s way better than the switch imo

Sweet, thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I could get a good week out of standby. It goes into a pretty deep sleep.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Checked the Fed Ex shipping:

7/5/2022 by end of day
Initially expected: Friday, 7/8/2022
----
Valve putting in priority shipping over the 4th weekend? That seems utterly crazy it jumps up from shipping yesterday morning to being here two days later from the midwest.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I can't get my GOG games to run even when they are native to Linux via heroic games launcher. What's especially weird is games where I have a copy of in steam and in GOG, the steam version runs but the GOG version always fails to load. Any ideas?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

I think "sleep" is more of a mismomer for this console than it is for anything that can still run downloads like the Switch/PS4 do, this seems to be more of a full-on "save ram state to disk and shut down" hibernate. Network connections drop, downloads halt, unresponsive to anything but the power switch, the whole shebang.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Subjunctive posted:

It's great when I need to set the deck down to do something that might take more than a minute so I don't burn a ghost into the screen but also not every game is cool with sleep being used as a pause button.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think "sleep" is more of a mismomer for this console than it is for anything that can still run downloads like the Switch/PS4 do, this seems to be more of a full-on "save ram state to disk and shut down" hibernate. Network connections drop, downloads halt, unresponsive to anything but the power switch, the whole shebang.

Shutting all that poo poo down is what usually happens when a computer goes to sleep but it maintains a trickle of power to keep memory active and allow quick resuming. Hibernate is when it writes state to the disk and shuts down completely and consumes zero power and laptops can last a long time that way, way longer than a week.

Consoles that still download and poo poo while "sleeping" are just turning the CPU & GPU speed/power way down but still running and those obviously consume more power while "sleeping".

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

Consoles that still download and poo poo while "sleeping" are just turning the CPU & GPU speed/power way down but still running and those obviously consume more power while "sleeping".

Depending on the console that can be a more complex set up than running the main cpu at low power. The PS4 for eg has a low power ARM coprocessor with its own low-power 256MB memory that is used for rest-mode downloads.

They seem to have designed the Deck to turn off completely when suspended, which I think is a great decision for many reasons, not least heat dissipation when in the case.

One of the motivations for the PS console's download while suspended feature is their lovely, lovely, lovely download infrastructure which will sometimes start you off at lovely speeds and stay there. At other times it would start you off at an ok speed but then dropped you to lovely speeds. Disconnects, the works.

Steam on the other hand comes with the best download infra I've seen. I routinely get 600+ Mbps downloads and have seen 800+ Mbps (over wifi from my desktop no less). There's no reason to do things while sleeping.

Where power while downloading is concerned, steam decompression eats up a bunch of CPU - which I think is more a function of the size of game installs these days than inefficiency. So it's going to use power for that whether in rest mode or not.

I think the PS4's download while in rest mode was more to mask their lovely download infra than to give you power savings.

Reading all that again, it's pretty clear nursing PS4 downloads has left deep scars.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
What are some Tactics games that fit the Steam Deck? I love turn based poo poo on hand helds so I can fall asleep or something in the middle and keep going when I wake up.

Just ordered my Deck this morning so I am scanning the sale for anything before it ends.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
most of the disgaea series is right there on steam

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've played through most of FFT emulated on the steam deck now. Works great.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Fell Seal is a pretty good indie take on FFT and works perfecly on the deck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Update your Switch and look at the bottom of the settings, they patched in support for Bluetooth audio output at some point.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Has anyone tried using Yuzu or other Nintendo Switch emulators on the Deck? I'm curious how well it runs because I'd really like to play the Switch Fire Emblems but I don't want to have to buy a Switch to play them if I've got a Deck pre-ordered

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Defenistrator posted:

I can't get my GOG games to run even when they are native to Linux via heroic games launcher. What's especially weird is games where I have a copy of in steam and in GOG, the steam version runs but the GOG version always fails to load. Any ideas?

Do you require that they launch through the heroic games launcher or are you fine if they just work?

I've got a handful of things, GoG games included, that launch natively through the Steam Deck's interface. Won't cloud sync but other than that it'd be hard to tell they weren't Deck Compatible.

Revitalized posted:

What are some Tactics games that fit the Steam Deck? I love turn based poo poo on hand helds so I can fall asleep or something in the middle and keep going when I wake up.

I just bought Into the Breach for the third time in anticipation of its pending huge free content patch.

And as an excuse to start the game over. Again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Culka posted:

Fell Seal is a pretty good indie take on FFT and works perfecly on the deck.

I haven't finished it but I quite like it

there's also the "Mercenaries" franchise, some of them are on steam now, was on Switch before

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1582510/Mercenaries_
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1867810/Mercenaries_Rebirth_Call_of_the_Wild_Lynx/

These are the 5th and 6th games respectively, rest are still on the switch

they're about as bog standard FFT as you'll get

Heran Bago posted:

Update your Switch and look at the bottom of the settings, they patched in support for Bluetooth audio output at some point.

keep in mind if you lock the screen you have to reconnect to bluetooth all over again, including going into that menu

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

keep in mind if you lock the screen you have to reconnect to bluetooth all over again, including going into that menu

Wow I hadn't noticed. Apparently it limits the number of wireless controllers you can connect too.

Tibbeh posted:

Has anyone tried using Yuzu or other Nintendo Switch emulators on the Deck? I'm curious how well it runs because I'd really like to play the Switch Fire Emblems but I don't want to have to buy a Switch to play them if I've got a Deck pre-ordered

There are a lot of YouTube videos with people playing stuff smoothly with the right settings. Should be fine for Fire Emblem.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sorry for the ignorant question. Is the work that’s been done on Proton likely to eventually lead to something similar for Macs?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

Sorry for the ignorant question. Is the work that’s been done on Proton likely to eventually lead to something similar for Macs?

It’s possible, but unlikely it’d be done by Apple themselves. The closest we have right now is Crossover, which is a subscription program (about $40 a year) which works pretty well in making windows games work on MacOS. Andrew Tsai did a good video on how to get the best prices on that if you do go down that route.
https://youtu.be/5tuWFR_QHcs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

It’s possible, but unlikely it’d be done by Apple themselves. The closest we have right now is Crossover, which is a subscription program (about $40 a year) which works pretty well in making windows games work on MacOS. Andrew Tsai did a good video on how to get the best prices on that if you do go down that route.
https://youtu.be/5tuWFR_QHcs

Do you think it’s something Valve would be interested in pursuing?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

Do you think it’s something Valve would be interested in pursuing?

I don't, I think someone else might work on a Mac version of Proton similar to MoltenVK, the compatibility layer for using Vulkan on Mac but given Valve are going all in on Linux (again) I don't see them doing more to support MacOS. It's not out of the question for Apple to do something themselves, the Apple Silicon GPUs right now are extremely good but also seriously lacking for anything to really push them but it's not something I'm expecting, especially when the focus at WWDC seemed to be way more about getting more Mac and specifically AS native games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Valve spent all this time and money to get away from a platform like windows, there's no way they put effort into MacOS, especially how absolutely awful it is for gaming.