Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You gotta wonder if someone at Tatsunoko is looking at the hype that the post-SDF stuff is getting vs Robotech's nothing burger and just cursing to themselves about letting them keep SDF/DYRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Was it Robotech or another one where one side could activate a 3D battlefield overlay and this gave them a tactical advantage in fights? I think that guy who could do it for the good guys also had like a mech with a pickaxe or battleaxe for a weapon?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

are you thinking about gundam wing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

or the battletech cartoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcrQ9rVbNBQ

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yeah that's it! My first mecha anime.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I saw Everything Everywhere at once. It was good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Love those rocks

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lmfao

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I watched Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt over the few weeks after finishing Gurren Lagann. Impressions:

- Ironically, the only stretch of episodes I really enjoyed were 6 through 9. With the exception of the second part of episode 7, I thought those were great.
- Aside from them, the standout segments were the second part of episode 3, the second part of episode 5, and the last segment of episode 10.
- I thought everything else was somewhere between mediocre and bad. I was going to drop the show until the end of episode 3 convinced me to stick with it.
- Other things I liked: the ending theme, the animation style swaps, and the cuts to little figurines getting blown up.

I think I probably needed to run into this one when I was a kid or preteen to love it, though. So much of it isn't really jokes; it's just cutesy characters saying crude/taboo things to try to shock and titillate enough to be funny.

It's cool that it's getting a second season after so long; I know it's got a lot of fans. Overall, there was enough that I liked that I'll check it out, but it's a notch below Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann for me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

really loving good. my favourite movie in quite some time. it owned

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Love those rocks

it rocked, even

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Justice for Raccacoonie.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

homeless snail posted:

i'm assuming that harmony gold is, somehow making money on the us release of macross stuff because, how is this company still in business otherwise lmao
yeah, harmony gold controlled the US distribution rights to macross for decades. it was a really complicated and stupid fight between harmony gold and big west. they're absolutely getting paid off the new releases now.

my theory behind harmony gold and big west finally agreeing on US release of the other macross properties is that harmony gold wasted so much cash/time on a robotech movie that they had to cave to whatever percentage big west offered to stay out of chapter 7 bankruptcy. gotta admit, it took way longer for Harmony Gold to cave than I imagined, as I thought the success of Frontier would be enough to tempt them to reach an agreement. back when Frontier came out in 2008, maybe Harmony Gold thought the Robotech movie was just around the corner. by the time Delta came out, HG probably realized the Robotech movie wasn't happening and is probably really hard-up for cash.

it's hilariously telling that harmony gold isn't handling any part of the US release of Macross 2, Plus, 7, Frontier, or Delta, but instead handing it off to Right Stuf, etc. they really did degenerate into an IP troll outfit with no in-house production capacity. what clowns. i hope Harmony Gold isn't planning on wasting the cash from the new US releases on more Robotech movie bullshit

e: lol that's exactly what they're doing, apparently

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 5, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Which was killer due to licensing lol

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Raenir Salazar posted:

Was it Robotech or another one where one side could activate a 3D battlefield overlay and this gave them a tactical advantage in fights? I think that guy who could do it for the good guys also had like a mech with a pickaxe or battleaxe for a weapon?
no, they got a tactical advantage because a lady sang really good.

Waffleman_ posted:

You gotta wonder if someone at Tatsunoko is looking at the hype that the post-SDF stuff is getting vs Robotech's nothing burger and just cursing to themselves about letting them keep SDF/DYRL
they really, really backed the wrong horse there, huh? although i bet in the 80s/90s, the allure of robotech breaking big into the US market was more of a possibility worth exploring for Tatsunoko. maybe that was worth alienating the Good Ideas People who made the shows cool?

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 5, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They really thought this movie was gonna happen, and a Big Hollywood Blockbuster is a very easy sell

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

EEAAO rules, it's my second favorite movie of the year so far (after RRR)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, harmony gold controlled the US distribution rights to macross for decades. it was a really complicated and stupid fight between harmony gold and big west. they're absolutely getting paid off the new releases now.

my theory behind harmony gold and big west finally agreeing on US release of the other macross properties is that harmony gold wasted so much cash/time on a robotech movie that they had to cave to whatever percentage big west offered to stay out of chapter 7 bankruptcy. gotta admit, it took way longer for Harmony Gold to cave than I imagined, as I thought the success of Frontier would be enough to tempt them to reach an agreement. back when Frontier came out in 2008, maybe Harmony Gold thought the Robotech movie was just around the corner. by the time Delta came out, HG probably realized the Robotech movie wasn't happening and is probably really hard-up for cash.

it's hilariously telling that harmony gold isn't handling any part of the US release of Macross 2, Plus, 7, Frontier, or Delta, but instead handing it off to Right Stuf, etc. they really did degenerate into an IP troll outfit with no in-house production capacity. what clowns. i hope Harmony Gold isn't planning on wasting the cash from the new US releases on more Robotech movie bullshit

e: lol that's exactly what they're doing, apparently

Will these new Macross releases be dubbed?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There are no plans at this time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hope that, they find some way preserve the ADV dub of sdf-1, but hikarus english va being utterly deleted from the anime industry, might be too much baggage. mari ijima though...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NikkolasKing posted:

Will these new Macross releases be dubbed?
i hope not!

homeless snail posted:

mari ijima though...
good news

Waffleman_ posted:

They really thought this movie was gonna happen, and a Big Hollywood Blockbuster is a very easy sell
Dragonball: Evolution's box office take must have really put a damper on that plan

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 5, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started watching Demon Slayer and boy, Zenitsu is an earache in yellow, isn’t he

I know episode 19 is the one that put the series on the map but it’s been pretty run of the mill so far, the watercolor effects aside

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Oxxidation posted:

started watching Demon Slayer and boy, Zenitsu is an earache in yellow, isn’t he
I got to his episode then peaced out

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

surf rock posted:

I watched Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt over the few weeks after finishing Gurren Lagann. Impressions:

- Ironically, the only stretch of episodes I really enjoyed were 6 through 9. With the exception of the second part of episode 7, I thought those were great.
- Aside from them, the standout segments were the second part of episode 3, the second part of episode 5, and the last segment of episode 10.
- I thought everything else was somewhere between mediocre and bad. I was going to drop the show until the end of episode 3 convinced me to stick with it.
- Other things I liked: the ending theme, the animation style swaps, and the cuts to little figurines getting blown up.

I think I probably needed to run into this one when I was a kid or preteen to love it, though. So much of it isn't really jokes; it's just cutesy characters saying crude/taboo things to try to shock and titillate enough to be funny.

It's cool that it's getting a second season after so long; I know it's got a lot of fans. Overall, there was enough that I liked that I'll check it out, but it's a notch below Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann for me.

If you didn't watch it dubbed, you need to go back and watch it dubbed. Especially the segment which is just P&S shooting the poo poo in their apartment.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

P&S is like the one anime where the dub is better by far

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

how about milk-chan

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the dub doesn't change it into something different from a crude humor magical girl show though, wrt OP's issues

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

idk i think jokes tend to land better if you can understand the language/tone they're speaking in

reading a joke and hearing a joke are different things imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojiOyoyUYC4

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's sorta of amazing that even if you take out Harmony Gold blocking Macross they still have misused Robotech to such an extent. Can't even get a movie or a new series out when really it should be easy to get it on a streaming or TV given the popularity of anime and 80's is. Just 100% incompetence all around

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Literally the most recent thing they've made is a cheap as hell remake of a GBA shmup lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRe47KZhkEU

It shouldn't be hard to make a Robotech game! You did it with Battlecry!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You have to wonder if they've just burned a bunch of studios/companies when they tried to do stuff in the late 90's/early 00's. I can easily see them trying to cheap companies out on work and it might have just spread around the industry . Plus probably hard to get Japanese companies to work on stuff too

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hbag posted:

P&S is like the one anime where the dub is better by far

It's a good dub in It's own right, but I actually do prefer the subs. I find the gratuitous swearing and Engrish works better in contrast with the Japanese dialogue, some of the dub liberties in changing the script didn't work for me, and I do prefer the Japanese VAs performance.

They also removed the rolling r 'rules' gag the demon sisters had, and that's a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J548XM9-jKU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pretty sure this is the only psg dub content i've seen, first time was as it aired and i just rewatched from those however many years later

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

AlternateNu posted:

If you didn't watch it dubbed, you need to go back and watch it dubbed. Especially the segment which is just P&S shooting the poo poo in their apartment.

I'll have you know that I only watch dubbed because I'm lazy :colbert:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was not expecting Toradora to actually hit me so hard in the feels. :(

Kinda glad I went back to finish it today now though. Up next is Welcome to the NHK.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH9w2jkLzUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9SESFuiMOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sb2LBkLgd8

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's sorta of amazing that even if you take out Harmony Gold blocking Macross they still have misused Robotech to such an extent. Can't even get a movie or a new series out when really it should be easy to get it on a streaming or TV given the popularity of anime and 80's is. Just 100% incompetence all around

That's always been the darkly funny part, if someone even half competent held that IP you'd think there would have been some kind of revival along the lines of Netflix Voltron, it's almost a no brainer and could have been done without even needing the OG Macross designs anymore, avoided the negativity involved with that. Remove the IP squatter aspect of the situation and who even really hates Robotech rather than just being indifferent or uninterested?

But the people there really seem to suck badly so everything they've ever tried has always face planted, feels like the best they can manage is every couple of years shoveling out some comic book retelling of the Macross Saga with bad art and valkyries traced from Japanese artbooks