Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I like star of bethlehem it seems real low key but drat if you actually use it it melts everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Plus it's hard to overstate the value of always taking the most efficient possible path to the boss room on post-D2 floors.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Star of Bethlehem used to buff my tears so much it'd crash my machine on more ridiculous builds, making it a new difficulty setting of racing to defeat the boss before I wasn't allowed to shoot in the centre of the room

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think it mostly comes down to them buffing a lot of the terrible items and rebalancing the pools. Afterbirth+ definitely gave you a decent number of runs where every item you found was just useless crap that didn't make you noticeably stronger.

And the last few updates added in more items to the boss pool which are namely serving as DPS increases to help the player get some leg ups. Agreed that game shattering runs are still possible, but definitely way more slim compared to earlier eras (The days of Restock + Double Steam Sale are pretty much over. Like that's the kind of thing we're referring to and pulling that level of shattering off requires way more setup to do nowadays.) though at least the normal runs are definitely at a higher baseline power.

Adding to the pool rebalance, the Golden Chest pool being changed to "household" items instead of heads and bag related stuff was a huge buff to the pool. Which share a bunch of items with the boss pool, which are focused around direct buffs to Isaac's stats. Like just compare the pool to before and after Repentance.

Not only that, Golden and Bomb Chests had their chances of giving out an item buffed up to 20% in Repentance! Absolutely worth opening these things if you can! That alone is a big average power boost to Isaac runs now.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Plus it's hard to overstate the value of always taking the most efficient possible path to the boss room on post-D2 floors.

And, conversely, it always goes straight to Delirium's room in the Void, so you can freely farm all the other bosses first.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just annoying that it sits just outside the Hush and Mother fights instead of going into the arena.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Genesis is very fun, it's like a superior d100.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I am wary of them futzing with the delicate balance

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1541920914719223808

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Delirium rework... when...?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ButterSkeleton posted:

Genesis is very fun, it's like a superior d100.

I use it every time I get it even if my build is amazing, it's just too fun to do a complete RNG rebuild on the fly into something equally good or better

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do tainted characters have a better chance at planetarium rooms? I've been slowly filling out the tainted postcards and sometimes I'll get 2 planetariums in a single run. When doing vanilla characters it seems like I'll get 1 every 10 runs or so

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Delirium rework... when...?

At this point delirium rework is just a carrot on a stick

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they should delete delirium from the game imho

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Just replace Delirium with a Super Boss Rush where you fight like six random bosses per wave and they can be any boss except the Beast

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the only good thing about delirium is when i sometimes just deal half his lifebar instantly and i can quickly delete him

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Do tainted characters have a better chance at planetarium rooms? I've been slowly filling out the tainted postcards and sometimes I'll get 2 planetariums in a single run. When doing vanilla characters it seems like I'll get 1 every 10 runs or so

are you skipping treasure rooms? your first planetarium has a high chance of showing up if you do, and there's also a small chance of one on every floor above womb regardless. a string of runs with 2 planetariums is outrageous luck but not impossible

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought surely someone would have modded delirium to fix it by now but this was the only complete overhaul mod I could find

quote:

The mod replaces Delirium with a naked one... garge... girl. That's all.
Why? Don't know. I just like this boss :)
Model was taken from mod The Lusting of Isaac, but now it's outdated (at least for now...), so the working prototype is from my "trash" port [REP] The Lusting of Isaac [NON-OFFICIAL]

(P.S.) You can not even ask the questions "why? a pervert? a pedophile? it's a game about a child..." I don't care. I threw the mod, but to download or not - everyone will decide for themselves

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
why would you post that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

why would you post that

Misery loves company

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

…garge…

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

flatluigi posted:

why would you post that

Quality content imo

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Trying to complete greedier mode with The Lost really shows how much unavoidable utter bullshit is in this game.

Regardless of how powerful you are, womb spawns with multiple laser eyes/shop spawns with multiple walking skulls/bad first floor will instantly gently caress you up any day of the week.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Kawabata posted:

Trying to complete greedier mode with The Lost really shows how much unavoidable utter bullshit is in this game.

Regardless of how powerful you are, womb spawns with multiple laser eyes/shop spawns with multiple walking skulls/bad first floor will instantly gently caress you up any day of the week.

Try doing it with Tainted Lost sometime :pram: It took me 100 tries (not counting all the runs I immediately R'ed away because I got bad treasure items on the first floor/shield break on the first floor) before I finally got a run too bullshit for the game to overcome. When you get spawns of 4 super troll bombs in close succession all you can do is laugh.

Ironically, my winning Lost run had me with no shield up (and persisting through two hits thanks to Blanket) and needing several goes at it since I had a Dead Cat, but the winning Tainted Lost run I didn't even break my shield and still had a Holy Card in my back pocket.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

are you skipping treasure rooms? your first planetarium has a high chance of showing up if you do, and there's also a small chance of one on every floor above womb regardless. a string of runs with 2 planetariums is outrageous luck but not impossible

No, that's what was so weird about it. They'd pop up even if I'd been to every single treasure room. Maybe I'm just crazy lucky. I'm actually having lots of fun with the tainted characters after falling off them pretty hard when the last expansion was released. Tainted Judas in particular is lots of fun to play as.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I think there's a flat 1% chance to get a planetarium, and you get the 20% bonus chance if you miss a treasure room. There's also some weird interactions with XL floors, and I've also seen a treasure room + planetarium on the first floor

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

The Fattest PI posted:

I think there's a flat 1% chance to get a planetarium, and you get the 20% bonus chance if you miss a treasure room. There's also some weird interactions with XL floors, and I've also seen a treasure room + planetarium on the first floor

Treasure room + planetarium first floor is just that 1% you're mentioning.

There are also items to increase the chance like Crystal Ball, Magic 8 Ball and that trinket.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
For people looking for more isaac, the void rains upon her heart is a good facsimile. Same synergy. Same kind of shameful cringe plot. But bosses, tons of them.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GrandmaParty posted:

For people looking for more isaac, the void rains upon her heart is a good facsimile. Same synergy. Same kind of shameful cringe plot. But bosses, tons of them.

It's very good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/790060/The_Void_Rains_Upon_Her_Heart/

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

GrandmaParty posted:

This looks to be extremely my poo poo, thanks for the recommendation!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Idk looks bad.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

AKZ posted:

Idk looks bad.

It's a fun game that looks ugly like BoI.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

kinda reminds me about that isaac clone for the original game that was instead themed around kids in an evil orphanage or something?

I actually liked that one but I don't think it ever got updated

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's the #1 'Hidden Gem' on Steam 250. I'm guessing that means it has a very high rating relative to the number of people that have bought it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Released Feb. 2018, still in early access.

Finish your game!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Finish your game!

It's massive especially for a one person developer. It has 576 achievements most with an unlockable attached. (Fully finished Repentance* Isaac has 637 achievements and that's a timeline from 2014-2021).

The core game is fully complete except the story, fine tuning, and some extra bonus monsters/events.

*Repentance was not fully finished until a few months after release

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 5, 2022

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's the #1 'Hidden Gem' on Steam 250. I'm guessing that means it has a very high rating relative to the number of people that have bought it.
its because unless you just straight up hate shmups it's one of the best games in its class and has something for just about anyone.

thats why even after like four years of early access and constant content updates its managed to have zero negative reviews.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PostNouveau posted:

Finish your game!

The dev really can't seem to resist feature creep. Not complaining because it's led to a bunch of great content but like.... here's something from the last patch note when I bought the game 2 years ago in July 2020 and it was a couple bosses and some cutscenes away from leaving EA

quote:

Coming Soon
Just a few bug fixes and smaller tweaks before the FINAL CONTENT UPDATE

Since then he's added 30+ new bosses, like 100+ new items, two alternate game modes that play very differently and have a ton of content and their own associated unlocks, and doubled the character roster by giving them all very different "tainted" equivalents. Still the same placeholder cutscenes though lol

edit: Like it's definitely not a dead project, it gets very very regular content updates, but at this point I think he's just going to develop it forever and 1.0 is like a zeno's arrow paradox thing

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 5, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

The dev really can't seem to resist feature creep. Not complaining because it's led to a bunch of great content but like.... here's something from the last patch note when I bought the game 2 years ago in July 2020 and it was a couple bosses and some cutscenes away from leaving EA

Since then he's added 30+ new bosses, like 100+ new items, two alternate game modes that play very differently and have a ton of content and their own associated unlocks, and doubled the character roster by giving them all very different "tainted" equivalents. Still the same placeholder cutscenes though lol

OK, this truly is a successor to Binding of Isaac

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i bought it tonight seems pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's a game I absolutely recommend but the power ups are waaaay less crazy than isaac and it's never given me a god run high. I still dont think there's anything out there that's even in the same ballpark as isaac when it comes to power up craziness.