Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

It's a game I absolutely recommend but the power ups are waaaay less crazy than isaac and it's never given me a god run high. I still dont think there's anything out there that's even in the same ballpark as isaac when it comes to power up craziness.

Revita gets close with some "fill the screen with bullets and hold down the attack button to beat the final boss in 10 seconds" builds you can luck into, but I think what makes Isaac feel unique is the poo poo you can do outside of the combat portion. When everything comes together you're rerolling items and duplicating pickups and manipulating RNG and it makes you feel like you're Neo and you've hacked into the code of the matrix. That feeling of mastering the rules so you can break them is just incredibly empowering

edit: like it's one thing to find a build that lets you whoop the final boss, but it's an Isaac thing to find a build that lets you beat one of the final bosses and then rewind time to beat a different final boss and get credit for finishing two different runs at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

When everything comes together you're rerolling items and duplicating pickups and manipulating RNG and it makes you feel like you're Neo and you've hacked into the code of the matrix. That feeling of mastering the rules so you can break them is just incredibly empowering

this to me is the big part of isaac that brings me back. knowing how each system interacts with each other and manipulating it one way or the other until i work the odds in my favor and makes you think youre big brained is really cool.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, there's a genuine addictive strength to the feeling you get when you have the eureka of "Wait! If I spend my one bomb here, it'll let me get to there, to spend my card on THIS, and then I can reroll THAT" and suddenly you've made your own RNG and you're back on a winning track. I'm still in disbelief Nintendo hasn't twigged on to make a Binding of Zelda clone, since it's already overflowing with character/dungeon/item materials to create similar systems of complex play.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

Yeah, there's a genuine addictive strength to the feeling you get when you have the eureka of "Wait! If I spend my one bomb here, it'll let me get to there, to spend my card on THIS, and then I can reroll THAT" and suddenly you've made your own RNG and you're back on a winning track. I'm still in disbelief Nintendo hasn't twigged on to make a Binding of Zelda clone, since it's already overflowing with character/dungeon/item materials to create similar systems of complex play.

Probably would have done a lot better than their Crypt of the Necrozelda clone

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the crypt of the necrodancer zelda game is both made by the original devs and also owns

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I always pass on the d20 because I just don't have the time to dick around getting stupid overpowered anymore

But I finally sat down and had a ... I dunno, 2 hour d20 run

Repentance cannot handle a d20 run
God drat thought my computer was going to explode with all the insane stupid synergies I had going

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

I always pass on the d20 because I just don't have the time to dick around getting stupid overpowered anymore

But I finally sat down and had a ... I dunno, 2 hour d20 run

Repentance cannot handle a d20 run
God drat thought my computer was going to explode with all the insane stupid synergies I had going

I made it to the Chest once with tarot cloth, jera rune and blank card. I spawned so many chests the game crashed to the desktop

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Blank Card no longer working with runes was a giant nerf and I almost never take it anymore.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
IMO the alternate route is such a pain in the rear end that the second treasure room item should always be visible. I don't know if it's me, but the number of times the ? item turns out to be Cursed Eye is loving disproportionate.

The only mods I'm using are item descriptions and no curses - the most useless, uninteractive, get hosed LOL game mechanic - but I'm at the point where if I'm getting cursed eye in dross or mines I'll just remove it with the console. It's not a "fun" bad item, which I'd be totally ok with, and it probably shouldn't be in the game in the first place.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 6, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's great if you're playing either flavor of Loss though. The downside is nonexistent because it's overidden by loving dying.

A not small number Lost games have been won by cursed eye for me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Always take cursed eye if you have Marked, the cursor aiming overides the charge completely and the teleport can't trigger.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Mr Phillby posted:

Always take cursed eye if you have Marked, the cursor aiming overides the charge completely and the teleport can't trigger.

But Marked is also terrible!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Best Tainted Keeper - Mother. Just Greedier and Beast to go for that postit. Keepers Sack in the first shop made for a powerful run. 4.5V + Sprinkler melted Mother but it was the soul of the keeper when clearing the floor before dropping down to Mother that saved the day. Would have died otherwise. I'm just not that good at avoiding damage.

Mons Hubris posted:

But Marked is also terrible!

Yes it is! Down there with Ludovico Technique in items that seem like they should be good and are in fact garbage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PostNouveau posted:

My understanding is that's a bug where his segmented forms (Larry Jr and Hollow) where you can kill part of them and sometimes it will obliterate its health.

There was some speculation that it was just a display bug and his health doesn't really change when that happens, but it always seems to me like it really does go lower.

Araxxor posted:

I'm sure both variants of the bug are possible, I've personally seen both cases happen where Delirium suddenly loses its HP and then gets immediately obliterated. And some where yes it looks like it loses its HP, but the fight is still as typically as long as it normally is.

Turns out there's a variant of this bug that is very much possible to do in Repentance. And may make Eraser worth taking on Delirium runs.

If you manage to erase a segmented boss (Larry Jr., the Hollow, etc.) and it has to be segmented, not something like Monstro. When Delirium transforms into that boss, Delirium will instantly die. :laffo:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

Down there with Ludovico Technique in items that seem like they should be good and are in fact garbage.

:psyduck:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ludovico owns you should learn how to use it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
every person i've ever seen hate ludovico doesn't play on controller, and you should

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

there's no issue with Ludovico on keyboard either

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ludovico is extremely good almost all of the time, but a run-killer in combination with a few items. you always want to think about it before picking it up even though 99% of the time you want it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ludovico mainly sucks if it's too slow moving around (low tear speed I guess?)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Color Printer posted:

This. Ludovico is also great with items like Brimstone that increase the tear size and with Gnawed Leaf to just win (unless moving the tear counts as moving for it?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I don't like it with mom's knife. Otherwise, it can be really good.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

to me it’s one of those items where it’s really good but i just don’t care for the mental overhead of it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The knife is kinda boring too, tears get so many fun modifiers now
And yeah Ludo's problem is that it's way way too slow by default

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

watho posted:

to me it’s one of those items where it’s really good but i just don’t care for the mental overhead of it

Black August posted:

And yeah Ludo's problem is that it's way way too slow by default

Yeah it's slow and it changes the way the game controls. It's an item that comes up that infrequently that I'm not used to dual sticking that way compared to hold down in direction for tears. Much more fine control needed.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

oh, mausoleum door takes four full hearts to enter if you're using rotten hearts huh

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

well yeah. rotten hearts are worth half a heart of damage

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Rotten hearts, at least, count as armor when hit, so you don't lose deal chances.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Color Printer posted:

Shot speed is what determines the tear's speed. Which is one of the few times that stat actually matters and one of the few instances where you actually want more shot speed instead of less.

I used to love that thing back in Rebirth, but nowadays it's not an item I'm jumping on at first opportunity. The thing having such a slow starting speed really makes it kind of annoying to use if you see it as your first item. Not to mention it's kind of outdated, there's a lot of synergies it doesn't work with, so some really fun builds can just end up being a lot less interesting upon taking it (though not necessarily bad or even run ruining.)

I don't hate the item, and there's definitely a few runs where I'll take it, but I can't exactly disagree with the quality 2 rating they slapped onto it. The game is less friendly to ludo runs than it used to be, especially now that running into big synergies with it is way harder with the all the new items.

I'd definitely love it way more if the tear was faster at base shot speeds.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 10, 2022

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully complaining about in the thread will break the curse, but I can't for t he life of me get a Mega Satan run going with T. Samson.

I just want to unlock the crane game

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I just did that!
I lucked out and had a decent run. I think I got umbillical cord and got two of the bullet eating familiars out of it so I was able to just post up right in mega satan's face behind them.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

T. Eve seems really easy when you have all the time in the world and horribly difficult when you're on a time limit.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

T ??? seemed really difficult until I figured out how to play them and then when it clicked, they were the easiest character in the world.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edmund Sparkler posted:

T ??? seemed really difficult until I figured out how to play them and then when it clicked, they were the easiest character in the world.

A lot of the gimmick characters require you to really get in the mindset. You just gotta play only Tainted [insert character] for like 2 days.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The best T??? feeling is finally figuring out how to make a diy bomb out of different poop effects

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

T Beth still feels like one of the easiest characters, since you can just generate a shitload of items every single run.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Relyssa posted:

T Beth still feels like one of the easiest characters, since you can just generate a shitload of items every single run.

Until you get to one of the bullet hell bosses and all your wisps get popped.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

PantsBandit posted:

Until you get to one of the bullet hell bosses and all your wisps get popped.

Yeah, but you still keep all the other items you found along the way. She would be more of a challenge if finding an item only gave you a more durable wisp or two Lemegton charges or something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah, but you still keep all the other items you found along the way. She would be more of a challenge if finding an item only gave you a more durable wisp or two Lemegton charges or something.

Yeah it's just always jarring losing all my wisps and realizing "THAT'S how weak I am??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I've also recently come to love T Eve, spamming the straw so they don't all get popped immediately. She's slow to start but really fun when she gets properly going.