Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The local stores don't carry Krylon so I got a cheap Maston grey.

I've got a bunch of Blood Bowl elfs I did some paint crimes on years and years ago, they'll be my first project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Be careful with the cheap spray paints. Always spray one model first. I did not heed that advice and sprayed a squad of second hand chaos space marines with some beautone paint and it took way too many coats anf i lost some detail

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Nooooooo those textured paints will fill in small details, they're basically a filler primer

Edit: great for props and costumes though

I thought that they might serve for large, flat panels or Paul drones

Is there another way to get this effect?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Shark posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Brown-Earth-Gel-200ml/dp/B0044LDRGU

Apply very thin and splotchy

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

You could mask off the rest of the model and just spray the areas of interest.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I used "dark earth" for the base of my earlier model post, you can give it some peaks and everything if you want.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The vallejo textures come in different grit and finishes. All are pretty good. I like that particular one for anything <=40mm and the white pumice for anything >40mm bases.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

My Spirit Otter posted:

Be careful with the cheap spray paints. Always spray one model first. I did not heed that advice and sprayed a squad of second hand chaos space marines with some beautone paint and it took way too many coats anf i lost some detail

I bought a cheap brassy spray for some Stormcasts... I now have a fine blocky statue-like figurine that could be a small terrain piece. But only the one, I was at least that smrt.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Placentaur posted:

It’s pretty close to Extinction Angels, which I only know because it’s firmly in the “so bad it’s good” category of chapter/warband names

First time reading about these guys and I concur that name is so bad it's loving amazing.

Makes me want to start a Chaos Marine warband of them.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Biggest model I've painted to date - Abomination Dragon. Loved painting this model and found painting it in pieces made it actually easier for the most part. What's great is that this guy is going to find it's way into the D&D campaign I'm currently DM'ing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did a few Stargrave minis, loot tokens really, for some easy wins. I needed something simple.

I wanted to do the brain with ONLY speed paints, and well, 3 of the colors are, but I had to do the highlights with regular acrylics, namely the white and the green since there wasn't anything in the speedpaint line as saturated as I wanted.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Boogity boogity boogity: a pumpukin.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I will not get that punkin

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm looking to start an Escher Gang and wouldn't mind buying another box of something to convert them, recommendations? I'm interested in keeping their punk stylings but toning down the sexuality; I think in particular a "hips down" conversion would let me replace the booty shorts, fishnet stockings, and heels?

I already own the Soritas kill team box and haven't yet assembled those repentia. I also have unassembled Novitiates but upon first examination the heads seem to be molded to the body and I don't think I could do anything with that.

Maybe the Victoria Miniatures guard, mixing and matching pieces? Do those scale with modern Escher?

Edit: I'm reviewing the Escher squad and they have pants, don't know what I was thinking earlier. I think I read some goonhammer article on the models, with pictures of them unpainted, and just misremembered.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 6, 2022

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm looking to start an Escher Gang and wouldn't mind buying another box of something to convert them, recommendations? I'm interested in keeping their punk stylings but toning down the sexuality; I think in particular a "hips down" conversion would let me replace the booty shorts, fishnet stockings, and heels?

I already own the Soritas kill team box and haven't yet assembled those repentia. I also have unassembled Novitiates but upon first examination the heads seem to be molded to the body and I don't think I could do anything with that.

Maybe the Victoria Miniatures guard, mixing and matching pieces? Do those scale with modern Escher?

Edit: I'm reviewing the Escher squad and they have pants, don't know what I was thinking earlier. I think I read some goonhammer article on the models, with pictures of them unpainted, and just misremembered.

Have you seen these conversions?

https://youtu.be/RMi6hZ1P_pI

I would think there is a better economy in buying non-GW heads like the ones from Victoria miniatures.

If you know someone with a 3D printer I'm sure they'd be happy to print out as many teeny tiny mohawked heads as you want.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hadn't; they look great from what I can see skimming the video, though I wish it'd showcase them more.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I painted some stuff for Rangers of Shadow Deep and Silver Bayonet

Some undead creatures from the long forgotten past.

Giant flies, because my old models sucked and I finally figured out how to get reliable results from my 3D printer.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Anyone have ideas about hobbyist-level seamless backdrops? I've been thinking about a moonscape and a cityscape, but not sure how to buy or print something that big. I was looking at like >1m width, like a good size painting. more like a small diorama backdrop.

^the above totally reminded me that I was trying to look into this, not going to pretend otherwise

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any great way to desaturate a color after the fact? glazes?

I have a bunch of dead knights on a base I've tinted with some contrast, but they are much too colorful. I'm already darkening them with some agrax earthshade and plan on hitting them with a drybrush of a dark metallic for some weathering.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vaporware posted:

Anyone have ideas about hobbyist-level seamless backdrops? I've been thinking about a moonscape and a cityscape, but not sure how to buy or print something that big. I was looking at like >1m width, like a good size painting. more like a small diorama backdrop.

^the above totally reminded me that I was trying to look into this, not going to pretend otherwise

Are you trying to use it for pictures or for use in a diorama?

For pictures just go to any craft store with fabric and pick something you think looks cool. Then just drape it on something or use painters tape to secure it to something like the wall behind your desk or two paper towel holders https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay...ectedSellerId=0

You can also get cheap posterboard and do the same thing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Any great way to desaturate a color after the fact? glazes?

I have a bunch of dead knights on a base I've tinted with some contrast, but they are much too colorful. I'm already darkening them with some agrax earthshade and plan on hitting them with a drybrush of a dark metallic for some weathering.

Look up “filters” with respect to miniature painting, basically very dilute glazing. I think oils tend to work better that dilute, but you can get away with it using acrylics, especially with an airbrush instead of regular brushing. Could be worth consulting some colour theory in addition to using black or muddy tones to darken, a complementary colour layered overtop might be more effective at changing your overall vibrancy instead of looking like you put mud overtop a really bright colour.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

I painted some stuff for Rangers of Shadow Deep and Silver Bayonet

Some undead creatures from the long forgotten past.

Where are these from? I need a set! :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Where are these from? I need a set! :)

https://gamedecor.com/undead-heroes-of-the-realm.html

(This is a digital product for use with 3D printers and is provided via direct download from GameDecor.com This is NOT a physical product.)

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm looking to get a better light for my painting setup. There's this one light from amazon I see everyone recommend but it's too big for my space. So would I be able to get by okay if I just bought a desk lamp with a clamp and got some daylight bulbs for it?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Should be fine, that's basically what I use. I just have 3 of them. left, right and overhead

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Good news everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPLHZKPR9Bc

how to all the techniques.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Anyone have advice for making bases with a crushed glass effect? I want something that looks like the Dark Angels Dread Wing just absolutely blasted the place; nothing but fine dust and a landscape turned almost to glass.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Maybe try crushed glass medium? Might be too uniform for your needs though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gato The Elder posted:

Anyone have advice for making bases with a crushed glass effect? I want something that looks like the Dark Angels Dread Wing just absolutely blasted the place; nothing but fine dust and a landscape turned almost to glass.

Do you want like big shards of glass like you broke a bottle? Or a ton of little shards like broken safety glass (think car wreck)?

Former: take a blister pack and cut the plastic up into shards, glue with some clear Elmer's glue that you can find at office Depot, Walmart, or anywhere with a school supply section. Then you can use gloss varnish to make them shiny.

Latter: clean out your coffee grinder or spice grinder, put some clear hard plastic in there like from a chessex dice box. Wear an n95 and chem goggles, also do this outside if you can, and grind that poo poo up. Glue with that clear glue, gloss varnish. Then thoroughly clean that grinder.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think you could probably get away with a standard crackle paint painted gloss black with some dark weathering dust in the cracks, or if you found a transparent enough crackle medium you could paint that straight over a painted base and see what it gets you.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You could use Mordant Earth and paint it to simulate broken glass or mirror pieces or whatnot. I am using it to make a broken ice base and that is kind of similar.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gato The Elder posted:

What about something like one of GW's technical paints, like Mordant Earth (seen below, making lava). Paint it all black, with some light blue-green highlights, and then a very glossy coat or two over the top.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I hadn't; they look great from what I can see skimming the video, though I wish it'd showcase them more.

It's your lucky day.

Warhammer 40k Army Showcase. Punk Rock Sisters of Battle

https://youtu.be/bdcTuFSC5oI

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I know Mordant Earth was my first suggestion, because that is what I have on hand, but I think some of these crackle paints would work even better. They have white and clear ones:

https://www.viva-decor.com/en/paints/effect-paints/texture-effect/166/artline-crackling-color-250-ml-6-colors

You could do the clear over a small circular mirror and it might be cool!

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Did some Legion models last month.

The weathering on the bottom of the AT-ST...box didn't really pan out the way I was hoping, but it was a learning experience.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Lucinice posted:

I'm looking to get a better light for my painting setup. There's this one light from amazon I see everyone recommend but it's too big for my space. So would I be able to get by okay if I just bought a desk lamp with a clamp and got some daylight bulbs for it?

I have two of these on my desk
https://www.ikea.com/jp/en/p/tertial-work-lamp-dark-grey-80343891/

Put in a big strong white LED bulb and they're fantastic. Cheap in price, not in quality

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

EAThief posted:

Did some Legion models last month.

The weathering on the bottom of the AT-ST...box didn't really pan out the way I was hoping, but it was a learning experience.

Love the green on the dewback and the weathering on the AT-ST looks great to me!

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Printed and painted up one of Fabelzel's 4th ed styled Chaos Dwarfs. They've absolutely nailed the aesthetic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfvAozAh3vv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 8, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

are the Raphael 8404 still in stock for USA? I heard something about them not being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

are the Raphael 8404 still in stock for USA? I heard something about them not being?

where would they be in stock? your question makes no sense

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 8, 2022