Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's the third game in the series and set in the combined world of the first two games dealing with the fallout of their plots, gives 'grand finale of trilogy' vibes to me which this seems to also imply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

a finale to the xenoblade games, before all the xenoverses merge into one gloriously messy collage for future installments

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chronojam posted:

Sharla is really good for helping you to gently caress up a crafting session while still collecting a lot of cylinders that edge ever-closer to 99%.

It's also worth it to mix in garbage ore in order to intentionally dilute the chances of things you care about accidentally hitting 100% while Sharla ruins things.

Then you slam two cylinders together at 96%+98% together and let Shulk and Reyn party down to scream up to 300% which gives you two maxed out copies of the higher-level.

I did a lot of that in my last run where I killed every unique monster including the super bosses.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

No Dignity posted:

It's the third game in the series and set in the combined world of the first two games dealing with the fallout of their plots, gives 'grand finale of trilogy' vibes to me which this seems to also imply

Definitely the vibes I got, not counting the finale tagline in the song title. Even if this is the end in some respect, they still have a half finished story from XBX to work with. Also hard to imagine them shutting down a franchise that's outsold everything else they've done.

IcePhoenix posted:

When should I start bothering with gems in DE?

Now is always a good time to make more agility up gems.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Have there been any winks alluding to xbx or is that game verboten?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mea Tulpa posted:

Now is always a good time to make more agility up gems.

are there other gems I should be focusing on or is it all agility all the time for everyone

I have a lot of crystals

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Calaveron posted:

Have there been any winks alluding to xbx or is that game verboten?

A Hero's class is "Full Metal Jaguar".

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

are there other gems I should be focusing on or is it all agility all the time for everyone

I have a lot of crystals

Lightning (or thunder, can't remember) Plus gems for melia. Summon Bolt gets a huge boost from them.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Getting some night vision gems is also a good idea if you want to fight things over your level, and is pretty much a requirement for if you want to fight the end game superbosses.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

IcePhoenix posted:

I have a lot of crystals

Spike Defense, Debuff resist, Daze/Topple resist are all good defensive gems, maybe Haste, Double Attack and Phys Defense Down on your physical attackers. Daze/Topple Plus if you want to go crazy and just stunlock fuckers. Chill/Blaze/Poison plus go well on Melia and Riki. Melia does a shitton of lighting damage but good *lord* her poison damage is absolutely disgusting if you work your chain attacks right.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Agree with above for the most part but most of those won't be available yet in meaningful quantities during the midgame. Back atk plus is great for Melia since she shouldn't be holding aggro, but it's also more of a lategame find. I don't think topple/daze resist or blaze plus are really necessary though.

Given where OP is, basic stat up gems are fine. Ether up and strength up depending on which type of attacks a character uses, and they're useful through the postgame. Boosts to HP and defense can be good until better gems are available. I also like quick step to run around the map faster. You don't need to optimize beyond some decent stat boosts. Party and arts setup makes a bigger difference at this point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like for early-middle parts of the game it's fine to just stick to Agility and Strength/Ether (depending on the main damage type of the character in question).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I feel like I was a fan of double attack gems, too. And seconding Quick Step for just general travel convenience.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Haste and double attack are great on Dunban. Let’s him build aggro and refill his talent art gauge quicker.

I used naked Dunban for a good chunk of my last run and it was great until Agility Up gems give better bonuses. Dunban is pretty much the best character. Melia/Shulk/Dunban 4 life

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the advice friends :)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

No Dignity posted:

Is there a quick and dirty explanation of the fallout from those two games or how it will lead into this one? I never beat XC1 and honestly plowed through the end of 2 a few years ago so most of that is hazy.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Note: as per the series dabbling with gnostic trappings, every time I say God substitute demiurge

XB1: Shulk defeats the Mechonis leader and is promptly backstabbed and killed (he gets better) by an ancient conspiracy led by the Bionis aka god. God kills the Mechonis and its goddess, so the party decides to murder God and topple his throne.

While doing so, they discover Zanza and Vanea where originally two human scientists on Earth that hosed up the universe with an experiment, and the Monado is actually a demiurge one tier above those two.

Killing God crashes the universe or something so Alvis aka the Monado politely offers Shulk a job as God (he refuses) then restarts the universe. The Mechonis is mostly gone, the Bionis's corpse is still there, I think there might be new landmasses in the restarted universe

XB2: Mythra and Malos are literally monados and Alvis' sister and brother. The switch XB1 remake turned Alvis' pendant into a core crystal.

Anyways, dealing with the ancient conspiracy and Torna Yadda Yadda murder God and topple his throne except God knows he's a gently caress up and is welcoming the murder. God is Klaus aka Zanza, but the half of Klaus that's not an rear end in a top hat. Yes, this means we're on post apocalyptic Earth.

Malos usurps god's throne so the party has to topple it, after a last ditch try to make the idiot stop being an idiot. To be fair to Rex, he was actually getting through to Malos.
This happens at roughly the same time the XB1 party is killing Zanza, and from Klaus' comments I think the timing was important.

Malos dead, God dead, the world tree collapses, Pyra and Mythra die so the party can escape (they get better), the titans crash into a new landmass and turn into continent themselves. As per XB3, they were crashing at/near the Bionis and the two worlds were united again

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 6, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo thanks so much for that, I was dreading hours of YouTube explanations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

XBX: The game ran out of money so the story is blatantly incomplete.

What I think are the relevant beats:

Humanity had to flee Earth due to alien invaders. The landing on the XBX planet was not gentle and the ship broke up in multiple pieces and it's a miracle humanity survived.
twist 1: all the humans' bodies are currently in cryogenic stasis in a part of the ship they haven't recovered yet. Everyone is remote controlling robot bodies, but NLA doesn't have the means to produce new robot bodies and/or link them to the consciousnesses without access to the skyhold (was it called the skyhold?) housing the bodies.

Twist 2: there was nowhere enough space for actual bodies on the skyhold. What the skyhold holds is actually a computer housing the digitised minds and souls of the population, remote controlling the robot bodies. It also holds records of the DNA of every passenger plus a lot of Earth species, and they have the tech to print new biological bodies with it. The main exception is Emma, whose biological body was brought on the ship. She's not human but an alien and she's the one who gave humanity a lot of the tech needed for all this poo poo. All this is explained just before and after the final boss.

Twist 3, stinger: the skyhold did NOT survive landing. Upon recovery, it is quite clear it was damaged beyond repair in the crash and stopped functioning shortly afterwards. So where the gently caress is everyone's mind stored? Roll credits.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 6, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a quick and dirty explanation of the fallout from those two games or how it will lead into this one? I never beat XC1 and honestly plowed through the end of 2 a few years ago so most of that is hazy.

XC1 ends in classic JRPG fashion where you rise up and kill god. A new world is created by Shulk where humanity will control its own destiny. One character describes the new world as boundless which is how one of the tags describes the world of XC3.

XC2 at first appears to be totally unconnected to 1 until the end. Where it's revealed that while it is a different universe. The events of both games are happening in parallel and the gods of 1&2 are halves of the same human scientist who fractured reality using forces beyond any human control. While Rex and co defeat Malos the world is in ruins, but everyone seems to get transported to the world Shulk has just created. Where the Titans fuse into a landmass for them to live.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kingtheninja posted:

Holy poo poo thanks so much for that, I was dreading hours of YouTube explanations.

I have skipped Future Connected, which probably has massive amounts of foreshadowing for 3; and the Torna DLC, which is probably not relevant for 3.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Omobono posted:

XBX: The game ran out of money so the story is blatantly incomplete.

What I think are the relevant beats:

Humanity had to flee Earth due to alien invaders. The landing on the XBX planet was not gentle and the ship broke up in multiple pieces and it's a miracle humanity survived.
twist 1: all the humans' bodies are currently in cryogenic stasis in a part of the ship they haven't recovered yet. Everyone is remote controlling robot bodies, but NLA doesn't have the means to produce new robot bodies and/or link them to the consciousnesses without access to the skyhold (was it called the skyhold?) housing the bodies.

Twist 2: there was nowhere enough space for actual bodies on the skyhold. What the skyhold holds is actually a computer housing the digitised minds and souls of the population, remote controlling the robot bodies. It also holds records of the DNA of every passenger plus a lot of Earth species, and they have the tech to print new biological bodies with it. The main exception is Emma, whose biological body was brought on the ship. She's not human but an alien and she's the one who gave humanity a lot of the tech needed for all this poo poo. All this is explained just before and after the final boss.

Twist 3, stinger: the skyhold did NOT survive landing. Upon recovery, it is quite clear it was damaged beyond repair in the crash and stopped functioning shortly afterwards. So where the gently caress is everyone's mind stored? Roll credits.

It's Lifehold, and also a twist that's briefly mentioned and barely reacted to by the characters in game is that the Samaarians, the ancestors/creators of humans, suddenly appeared in the X dimension one day, and we're told in Xenoblade 2 that The Experiment ended up flinging parts of the original Earth to distant dimensions. So the Samaar could have been from Klaus's Earth, or I guess they could have been Standard Takahashi "We came from another dimension" folks unrelated to the Xenoblade Prime story. I guess it doesn't really matter because nothing about X will ever be followed up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Omobono posted:

XB2:
This happens at roughly the same time the XB1 party is killing Zanza, and from Klaus' comments I think the timing was important.

it's because when Zanza dies so does Klaus and he's directly tied to the Conduit, which is what's holding like the entire world together. So Zana dies -> Klaus dies -> Conduit goes away -> if you didn't fix poo poo by now you probably can't anymore. The timing was only important because he was about to die, not because it had to happen when he dies, if I'm remembering correctly

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Omobono posted:

the titans crash into a new landmass and turn into continent themselves. As per XB3, they were crashing at/near the Bionis and the two worlds were united again.

Ought to be mentioned that it's not confirmed that the two worlds fused at this point. It's possible, but not confirmed. At the time of Future Connected, the bonus campaign in DE that takes place months after 1s ending, the different civilizations had not come into contact.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Omobono posted:

I have skipped Future Connected, which probably has massive amounts of foreshadowing for 3; and the Torna DLC, which is probably not relevant for 3.

Just replayed FC because the timing seemed right and I wanted to wander around Bionis Shoulder again.

Shulk/Melia and 2 nopon nuggets crash on the Bionis Shoulder. A sentient dimensional rift has taken up residence in nearby Alcamoth, shooting at stuff and possessing nearby wildlife. Melia convinces the quarreling local races to make up, then she and Shulk attack the rift with the power of friendship. The rift in corporal form supposedly reuses the model from the Galdo boss in XB2. The significance of this remains a mystery.

Telethia fly into the rift and close it. Alcamoth is fixed up and Melia ascends the throne. She patches things up with Tyrea, and makes Tyrea her bitch.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

But how does Territorial Rotbart fit into all of this?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Still can't get over the fact that they named the X2 guy Bad. Like wow.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Electric Phantasm posted:

Rotbart is actually the final evolved form of a Nopon. As long as the Nopon scourge exists in the universe, so shall he.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Toad King posted:

Rotbart is actually the final evolved form of a Nopon. As long as the Nopon scourge exists in the universe, so shall he.

What do you get when you cross high concentrations of Ether with Nopon?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Omobono posted:

the Torna DLC, which is probably not relevant for 3.

Probably not yeah.

Curiously the direct shows the party walking though Dannagh Desert. A zone that only appears in Torna on the Torna Titan. Which is long dead by the time the worlds merge, so how is it here?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Malos rules. Love that guy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He’s so good

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

INDEED!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
its very important to the lore of xenoblade 2 that this statement can be applied to both jin AND malos. they are both each others poor little meow meows

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

if only the architect had named him Good instead....

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

if only the architect had named him Good instead....

Bonum? I hardly know 'em.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

It’s the mastermind behind XC3.

Soon, everyone will leave its territory: the totality of existence.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

What do you get when you cross high concentrations of Ether with Nopon?

Every series needs Space Pirates and Phazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

OhFunny posted:

Probably not yeah.

Curiously the direct shows the party walking though Dannagh Desert. A zone that only appears in Torna on the Torna Titan. Which is long dead by the time the worlds merge, so how is it here?

You do get to visit some dead titans in XBC2 and at least Uraya is very dead looking for the XBC3 cover art so that's hardly an obstacle.