Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ahobday posted:

I watched the first season of Slime and enjoyed it. There's some tension, but it's not too bad. I think I bounced off the second season because of all of the society building stuff.

Weird since a lot of people hang around for the society building stuff. But more in line,

Eminence in Shadow

Red Ranger Isekai

Karate Baka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

On the topic of things not aging well I tried out Kids On the Slope and while the music and animation is excellent that camp gay affectation from one of the characters made me recoil. It was like the Paulie Shore Pinocchio without any of the irony.

I liked that guy a lot lol

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Weird since a lot of people hang around for the society building stuff. But more in line,

I liked it as a whole, but I found watching it weekly to drag since some parts are just world-building/fun-service, so you can't just skip forward to the action scenes if that's what you're after. But since S1 & S2 are all out now and you can fast-forward thru the slow parts.

Also recommend: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

ahobday posted:

What they have in common is that the main character is seriously overpowered, but more importantly that when they get into a fight their victory is guaranteed. I like that there's no "will they won't they" tension.

Any recommendations?

Well this might sound strange because it's not a "battle" show in any regard, but Sakamoto Desu ga? is an absurdist comedy where the main character conquers any situation he gets into because he's just that cool. I enjoyed it a lot.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

ahobday posted:

I'm looking for more shows like One Punch Man, Overlord, The Misfit of Demon King Academy, and Cautious Hero.

What they have in common is that the main character is seriously overpowered, but more importantly that when they get into a fight their victory is guaranteed. I like that there's no "will they won't they" tension.

I'm not a fan of shows where the main character is apparently overpowered but still gets into tense fights.

Any recommendations?

Seconding Sakumoto Desu Ga?. It's a comedy, not a fighting anime, but the main character is hilariously extra-qualified at everything he does. But my #1 recommendation for you would be Mob Psycho 100. It was written by the same guy who made One Punch Man, and it shows. One of the best anime adaptations within the last few years, and there's a third season coming out soon to boot.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I have an idea for an anime that, given all the animes in existence, I would be surprised doesn't exist. A hero that's summoned to another world/the same world in the future, who is destined to defeat the Demon Lord/whatever, just generally sucks at everything, and has his exceptionally lovely incompetence overwritten by his even more exceptionally awesome luck, to the extent that he wins at everything. Being a male not required at all. Not Konosuba, because Kazuma occasionally is useful. Is there such a thing?

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 28, 2022

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

The Islamic Shock posted:

I have an idea for an anime that, given all the animes in existence, I would be surprised doesn't exist. A hero that's summoned to another world/the same world in the future, who is destined to defeat the Demon Lord/whatever, just generally sucks at everything, and has his exceptionally lovely incompetence overwritten by his even more exceptionally awesome luck, to the extent that he wins at everything. Being a male not required at all. Not Konosuba, because Kazuma occasionally is useful. Is there such a thing?

Irresponsible Captain Tylor but isekai?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sounds a little like the Irresponsible Captain Tylor, which is about the biggest dumbass in the future space navy getting assigned to the flagship of the fleet and luckshitting his way to victory, much to everyone's confusion.

Of course, the show thrives on the ambiguity over if he's that stupid and lucky, or if he's a genius pretending to be an idiot to throw everyone off guard.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
This having been aired when I was eight years old, no wonder I never heard of it. Thanks!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

There's a soon to be introduced character in Tensei Slime whose whole gimmick is just that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good shounen based on games like board game or card game? Like Yugioh. Not expecting peak anime just basic fun to watch on the side stuff.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ulio posted:

Any good shounen based on games like board game or card game? Like Yugioh. Not expecting peak anime just basic fun to watch on the side stuff.

Hikaru no Go. There's also Chihayafuru, No Game No Life, Kakegurui and Phi-Brain off the top of my head.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ulio posted:

Gonna reference my last post about this:

Strange Quark posted:

The Cardfight Vanguard anime has basically been airing for over ten years, but it's strongest material is in the first few seasons of G (G, GIRS Crisis, Stride Gate). It's got lots of good antics (one of the early antagonists is voiced by Koyasu and at one point he rides a horse straight down the sheer face side of a skyscraper), but it also has legitimately good character drama writing about finding a passion through the community brought about by playing card games. Also, they play a drafted game at one point which I've never seen done in any other card game anime.

Build Divide is currently airing and also pretty cool. The mystery of the setting is basically the driving force here (better to go in blind on this, but they do things like show childhood flashbacks exclusively in a letterboxed 4:3 aspect ratio and do not explain why), but there's occasionally some fun bits with the protagonist acting all confident about winning and then revealing he mathed out the probabilities of what cards were remaining in his opponent's deck. It can be kind of hard to follow the game with how often Aniplex throws in obvious translation mistakes though.

Shadowverse is another card game show I enjoy very much as a Saturday morning children's cartoon. It's a bit slow on the pacing starting out, but it's got solid jokes, hype moments, and production values good enough to be probably the best looking card game anime out there.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

New Shadowverse has been very good imo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Gonna reference my last post about this:

Shadowverse is another card game show I enjoy very much as a Saturday morning children's cartoon. It's a bit slow on the pacing starting out, but it's got solid jokes, hype moments, and production values good enough to be probably the best looking card game anime out there.

I always been interested in Cardfight Vanguard, I watched a bit when it initially aired. Will check it out.

Pootybutt posted:

Hikaru no Go. There's also Chihayafuru, No Game No Life, Kakegurui and Phi-Brain off the top of my head.

Hikaru no Go seems interesting. I did watch No Game No Life, found it to be massively overhyped though. It was pretty though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I do not believe I have watched an anime all the way through that was made after 2010. My view on anime is that it moved away from what I enjoyed about it. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it stopped being what I liked. I want to find out if I'm right. Let me discuss a bit about my preferences.

The following is a small sampling of series that I enjoyed:
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan
  • Code Geass
  • S-Cry-Ed
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Big O
  • Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • Tenchi Muyo
  • Nausica Of The Valley Of The Wind
  • Lupin The Third Part II
  • Detective Conan
  • One Piece
  • Dragonball
  • Ranma 1/2*
  • Inuyasha
  • Full Metal Alchemist
  • Excel Saga
  • FLCL
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • Paranoia Agent
  • Gaogaigar
  • Digimon Adventure
*This one likely has more to do with the fact that I was trans and didn't know it, more than anything else.

I believe that's a good smattering of series across genre lines which give a picture of the shows that I enjoy. I've watched more shows than the ones listed here, but I believe this does a good job showing the ones that come first to mind. The only downside being that I have grown and changed over the years and my interests have changed with them. However, I believe this list gives a good sense.

A bit on my taste.

• I like "cool" shows. Big explosions, melodrama, action, adventure, mecha powers, you get the idea.
  • I'm not all shallow. I do enjoy the occasional cerebral show or philosophy series, but I find those less my taste as real life has become shitter and harder to deal with as of late.
  • When I was younger, I enjoyed zany comedies, but it feels many of them are samey when you watch enough of them. They tend to fall on a lot of the same jokes between series. However, I am totally open to the idea, if its something original or does what has been done exceptionally well.
  • I guess one could say my taste is very 80s and 90s. Cool for the sake of cool, strong emotions, everything is big and loud, a lot of experimentation and silliness, all mixed with a sense of spontaneity and creativity.
  • I have a fondness for hand-drawn animation.

What I dislike is a lot of things.

• I cannot stand "lolita" poo poo or "shotacon" poo poo. That is loving pedophile crap and its weird how anime treats that poo poo as normal. It's hosed. It's uncomfortable. It's a problem.
  • I also really can't stand when a series has negative depictions of LGBTQ+ characters. This comes up rarely in anime, but, when it does come up, it can suck the air out of the room, like with Persona 5.
  • I really also hate some of the sexist poo poo that just some times finds its way into a series. Sexism, especially, comes up all too often and I'm not here for it. I can stomach the kind of "sexist by omission" poo poo like the "damsel in distress" trope or series that only have women in a secondary role. But I cannot stand when a series goes out of the way to say some sexist bullshit or actively have female characters disparaged for being women and whatnot. Same poo poo for racist crap, but I feel that happens less often but when it does it also sucks just as hard.
  • I also really cannot stand "isekai" bullshit. I actually enjoy fantasy (and scifi for that matter) but I HATE the whole "I know video games, so I have the biggest dick and I am God and I'm so cool and CHAD FROM SCHOOL is going to learn a lesson" shtick that comes with it. I liked isekai in the before times. You know, before sword art online and stuff when Isekai was more like Magic Knight Rayearth and was just a jumping off point for a fantasy story with a modern protagonist. But all the gamer power fantasy poo poo is a huge turnoff.
  • I find harems very tiring.
  • I find relying too much on "dere" archetypes really tiring, especially when it comes in place of a personality.
  • I hate "moe" and "moe culture." I hate series that project really toxic bullshit like it's normal.
  • I hate shows that go on forever and ever.

With all of that shared with the class, what series should I consider potentially looking into. Despite all I said here, I am interested in seeing a newer series because I feel my tastes are so out of date that I can't relate anymore to the modern fanboy. However, if there is some really good old poo poo you think I didn't see, let me know about it too.

Any replies are appreciated. There are no stupid answers. Thank you.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 6, 2022

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hunter X Hunter (2011)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's polarizing, but based on S-cry-ed on your list it may be worth checking out Back Arrow, one of Goro Taniguchi's recent shows. it's pretty much just dumb mecha spectacle in a weird western/feudal/Chinese sci-fi mashup world. watching it weekly made the start feel a bit slow, and they definitely have to warm up when it comes to the CG mech animation, but as the reveals and escalations started hitting it had me hooked.

for some with less preamble:
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Megalobox
Hinamatsuri*
Millionaire Detective: Balance Unlimited
Akudama Drive
Oddtaxi
Sonny Boy

*comedy

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Odd Taxi - self-contained within 13 episodes, great writing, doesn't dip into any of your dislikes. Pretty much anime of the year 2021 if you discount Demon Slayer, and Attack on Titan (Final Season Part 1), due to the weeb-hype-train buff those series have.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) - also a recommend, tho the first 2 episodes are slow, it then goes 0-100 real quick.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) - On paper sounds like your thing 100%, so give it a go like Kild recommended.

I'd also say there are probably a lot you may have missed pre-2010? Baccano! comes to mind, tho I haven't seen it in 15 years so can't remember if there are any triggers/dislikes in it for you (goons welcome to jump in).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drat I was gonna say Oddtaxi.

Shows where things blow up a lot:

One Punch Man
Mob Psycho
The Great Pretender
86 (Warning - this is a mecha show but it's heavy as poo poo. You will be sad. It's so good though.)

Since you said you were open to it, I'm going to suggest some stuff you might not like so feel free to ignore.

The famous comedies are Konosuba and Gintama, which have all the things you hate (sexism, isekai tropes, etc.) but in an intentionally making fun of it kind of way. Konosuba is kind of like Always Sunny in the "holy poo poo these are literally the worst people" sense and Gintama is just a straight up parody of anime tropes mixed in with lots of dick jokes.

As for comedies that aren't all about T&A:

I'm going to second Hinamatsuri
Saiki K
Teasing Master Takagi-san
Kaguya-sama
Spy x Family

Edit: I forgot about Chunibyo, which instead of being a show about middle school nerds who have gamer powers, is a show about middle school nerds who pretend to have gamer powers.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 6, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm on sleeping pills trying to sleep at the moment but insomina is winning. I am not super lucid so I'll probably post again the morning. I like a lot of the suggestions so far.

dogsicle posted:

it's polarizing, but based on S-cry-ed on your list it may be worth checking out Back Arrow, one of Goro Taniguchi's recent shows. it's pretty much just dumb mecha spectacle in a weird western/feudal/Chinese sci-fi mashup world. watching it weekly made the start feel a bit slow, and they definitely have to warm up when it comes to the CG mech animation, but as the reveals and escalations started hitting it had me hooked.

for some with less preamble:
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Megalobox
Hinamatsuri*
Millionaire Detective: Balance Unlimited
Akudama Drive
Oddtaxi
Sonny Boy

*comedy

I looked through and a lot of these caught my eye, especially Akudama Drive. Thanks all around for this one.

Jomo posted:

Odd Taxi - self-contained within 13 episodes, great writing, doesn't dip into any of your dislikes. Pretty much anime of the year 2021 if you discount Demon Slayer, and Attack on Titan (Final Season Part 1), due to the weeb-hype-train buff those series have.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) - also a recommend, tho the first 2 episodes are slow, it then goes 0-100 real quick.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) - On paper sounds like your thing 100%, so give it a go like Kild recommended.

I'd also say there are probably a lot you may have missed pre-2010? Baccano! comes to mind, tho I haven't seen it in 15 years so can't remember if there are any triggers/dislikes in it for you (goons welcome to jump in).

I like what I see here too. I didn't super love JoJos but I can give it another shot. I tried Baccano! with my boyfriend. I saw most of it but didn't finish. It's weird. On paper, I should love it and I know it was good but I never finished it. Maybe because I broke up with that guy?

KillHour posted:

drat I was gonna say Oddtaxi.

Shows where things blow up a lot:

One Punch Man
Mob Psycho
The Great Pretender
86 (Warning - this is a mecha show but it's heavy as poo poo. You will be sad. It's so good though.)

Since you said you were open to it, I'm going to suggest some stuff you might not like so feel free to ignore.

The famous comedies are Konosuba and Gintama, which have all the things you hate (sexism, isekai tropes, etc.) but in an intentionally making fun of it kind of way. Konosuba is kind of like Always Sunny in the "holy poo poo these are literally the worst people" sense and Gintama is just a straight up parody of anime tropes mixed in with lots of dick jokes.

As for comedies that aren't all about T&A:

I'm going to second Hinamatsuri
Saiki K
Teasing Master Takagi-san
Kaguya-sama
Spy x Family

Edit: I forgot about Chunibyo, which instead of being a show about middle school nerds who have gamer powers, is a show about middle school nerds who pretend to have gamer powers.

I actually love Gintama. It was one of my favorite anime for a long time. Same with One Punch Man. I really should see Mob Pyshco. I read the 86 Light Novel but only parts. I suppose I could give the anime a try. I didn't check all of the suggestions out yet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Covok posted:

I actually love Gintama. It was one of my favorite anime for a long time. Same with One Punch Man. I really should see Mob Pyshco.

Good news - because of how popular all of these shows were, they are extremely influential.

Also based on this info I'm gonna say go watch JoJo.

Edit: and Aggretsuko. It's not like any of the other shows we talked about but I think you'll like it anyways

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 6, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One Punch Man Season 1. It's basically the perfect superhero story. Season 2 isn't really worth it though because the joke ran its course and it starts getting more into conventional Shonen power level faffing about. Plus it looks nowhere near as good or dynamic as Season 1.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Covok posted:

I do not believe I have watched an anime all the way through that was made after 2010. My view on anime is that it moved away from what I enjoyed about it. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it stopped being what I liked. I want to find out if I'm right. Let me discuss a bit about my preferences.

A bit on my taste.

• I have a fondness for hand-drawn animation.

What I dislike is a lot of things.

• I cannot stand "lolita" poo poo or "shotacon" poo poo...
  • I also really can't stand when a series has negative depictions of LGBTQ+ characters...
  • I really also hate some of the sexist poo poo that just some times finds its way into a series...
  • I also really cannot stand "isekai" bullshit...
  • I find harems very tiring.
  • I find relying too much on "dere" archetypes really tiring, especially when it comes in place of a personality.
  • I hate "moe" and "moe culture"...
  • I hate shows that go on forever and ever.

Any replies are appreciated. There are no stupid answers. Thank you.

Excellent taste, nothing wrong with appreciating the lost craftsmanship that went into older works. Let's try to find you something.

Shall we start with some older stuff that you might have missed? I figure you've seen a fair few of these already, but I'm obligated to mention them. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust* is pre-2010, but if you like hand drawn stuff you owe it to yourself to check it out. There is a damsel involved, but she's a minor character and there's also a prominent badass female bounty hunter, so it more than evens out I think. Princess Mononoke is in a similar basket, and I suspect you would really like its characters. You liked Ghost in the Shell: SAC, so I assume you've seen the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie that predated it, but if not: go watch it! It's far more action-heavy than SAC, and the animation is top-notch.

On the more modern side of things, Your Name has fantastic artistry, and while the story isn't exactly that of an action movie it heads into more dramatic territory than the premise would suggest. Kaguya-sama: Love is War is probably the best anime rom-com, period, and reaches a pretty good stopping point as of its most recent season. I did find its first season to be "only" enjoyable, as opposed to the outright-amazing peaks that its later seasons reach, so follow your gut on this one. You might be interested in watching Megalobox, since it oozes that signature late-90s / early-2000s feel. If the first season doesn't grab you, or you simply feel like minimizing your time expenditure, feel free to skip ahead to its second season. It was runner-up to my AOTY last year and works fine as a stand-alone. I'll echo the recommendation for Hunter X Hunter (2011), with the caveat that I didn't like the first thirty episodes. But when it gets good, it gets good. Same with Mob Psycho 100, which has some of the best animation to come out in the last half-decade and will be getting a conclusion that airs this October. Attack on Titan is popular for a reason. So popular, in fact, it rarely comes up in this thread because the default assumption is that everyone has seen it and come to their own conclusions already. Maybe you're the exception? Of all action anime, it is my favorite. Fair warning though, it is still ongoing and the """"Final"""" (*big laugh*) season saw a change in animation studios, and the newer one likes to use CGI models. (To their credit, they did kind of backtrack on that, and the second part uses more hand-drawn animation). ID: Invaded was my personal AOTY 2020, a fantastic thriller (even if the identity of the villain is fairly obvious).

How about some more esoteric recommendations? Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit has action scenes, but it's on the slower side of things, especially the middle. Why do I bring it up? Because I really liked the lead and I think you would, too. One of the finest examples of realistically-badass women in anime. Hyouka is another option, if you're looking for post-2010 TV anime that wow you with their artistry this would be it. It *is* a slower series though: the focus remains on everyday mysteries rather than your typical nation-ending conspiracies that many other mystery-anime go for. But I wouldn't classify it as a Slice-of-Life either; the mysteries are genuine mysteries, the characters are rich and dynamic, and while I guess you could describe some of them as cute they never wade into moe territory.

And to wrap it all off, here are some anime that I have not personally watched, but I think you might like anyways. If it's sheer spectacle you're going for, then Jojo's Bizarre Adventure offers some of the craziest action in the business. I admittedly struggled to get into it, not because it's bad but because (much like Gurren Lagan) it runs on wild emotion and logic can back the gently caress off. Finally, others seem to really like Utena (the TV series, the movie is its own separate beast). It's an oldie but, allegedly, a goodie, and from what you described about what you like /dislike, I think you'd find it a comfy fit.

* Edit: I'm talking about the movie released in 2000, not the older 1985 movie.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 6, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still, a 1992-1998 seven-episode OVA about rival organizations of superheroes and supervillains, some of whom use giant robots, who battle for the fate of the world in the face of an unprecedented energy crisis with a dark secret at its heart. God, I should watch that again.

Patlabor. Just the whole franchise, really, but probably start with the OVA and go on to the TV series if you liked that. Nominally about a special police unit that responds to crimes involving mechas (all of which are depicted with an unsurpassed emphasis on realism), there's not much I've seen that has the variety, playfulness, and sheer audacity of this series. Anchored by a core cast of lovable weirdos (including several very strong female characters), it is free to transcend genres, so you never know with any given episode if you're going to be seeing mystery, comedy, thriller, existential sci-fi, a surreal character study, or what. When it ventures into social commentary, you may find that its politics are somewhat particular to its circumstances: at the time, police were seen as the lesser evil compared to the military, whereas these days it's more common to see the opposite opinion.

Speaking of police, you said you were a bit tired of zany comedies, but hear me out: they don't come any zanier than 2012's no-budget micro-series Inferno Cop, which has the bonus of being watchable in its entirety in a single sitting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Inferno cop is immune to bullets.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

got somewhat of a weird request. can i get some recs on an anime/manga that's 1) long 2) currently running? preferably something shonen related, but not required.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

got somewhat of a weird request. can i get some recs on an anime/manga that's 1) long 2) currently running? preferably something shonen related, but not required.

Anything more specific? There's obviously One Piece and Ippo, and there's another part of Jojo upcoming, but I can't imagine you haven't heard of those already.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Anything more specific?

sadly not really lol. it's more of a "i'll know it when i see it kind of thing". i'm open to a lot of different genres so feel free to just throw whatever you got

quote:

There's obviously One Piece and Ippo, and there's another part of Jojo upcoming, but I can't imagine you haven't heard of those already.

yeah i'm aware of those, and i guess to knock out any others that i'm already familiar with:

- hunter x hunter
- my hero academia
- bleach (if it's still going. i forget)
- boruto (it might be relatively recent but i consider it a part of naruto anyway)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How about some recs for shows set in the real world but outside of Japan? I tried Great Pretender but I'm not really a fan of con job stories where they explain poo poo afterwards with a series of arbitrary asspulls. SpyXFamily is good but it's more about emulating the feel of a cold war European city than anything specifically real world. I want to see shows set in verifiable real world places and see how Japan represents them, be they accurate depictions or Mad Bull 34 insanity depictions. Maybe Yuri On Ice might fit the bill?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

How about some recs for shows set in the real world but outside of Japan? I tried Great Pretender but I'm not really a fan of con job stories where they explain poo poo afterwards with a series of arbitrary asspulls. SpyXFamily is good but it's more about emulating the feel of a cold war European city than anything specifically real world. I want to see shows set in verifiable real world places and see how Japan represents them, be they accurate depictions or Mad Bull 34 insanity depictions. Maybe Yuri On Ice might fit the bill?

Well, Baccano is a classic if you haven't seen it. Great dub, too. Similarly, Lupin part IV, V, and VI are pretty globetrotting, with focuses on Italy, France, and the UK, respectively. They all have some of that con stuff, though, so it might not be a perfect fit.

Gunsmith Cats is an old OVA set in Chicago about lady bounty hunters, so that might be a fit if you like that kind of thing. Oh, and Area 88 is set in a fictional country, but it's sort-of trying to be set in the real world.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

There's a lengthy list of anime that fit the description here: https://anime.jhiday.net/hof/challenge/worldTour#challengeItems, though it explicitly does not include the fictional country settings obviously inspired by the real world like fake Brazil in Michiko and Hatchin.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I would not recommend One Punch Man to Covok, due to how it handles its most prominent queer character.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Comedy watch jojo option. Part 6 if you want the authentic Florida experience.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

jump on that new Adventure of Dai adaptation

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Arc Hammer posted:

Monster is in Germany.
Master Keaton is all over the world.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Covok posted:

I looked through and a lot of these caught my eye, especially Akudama Drive. Thanks all around for this one.

Akudama Drive is the epitome of the slick, dumb action fest. It’s great. It’s like the Red Line of heist ensembles.

Also, you should watch Red Line if you haven’t. >_>

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Covok posted:

I'll nth the recommendations for this. It's real good and should match right up with your tastes. I'd also recommend Princess Principal.

Mr Interweb posted:

Detective Conan?

Arc Hammer posted:

How about some recs for shows set in the real world but outside of Japan?

I don't remember exactly when in the series it starts or how long it lasts, but a large part of Nodame Cantabile takes place in Europe while the main characters are studying at a music conservatory.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nrook posted:

I would not recommend One Punch Man to Covok, due to how it handles its most prominent queer character.

I forgot about that... unfortunate characterization. But they already saw it anyways.

Arc Hammer posted:

Super Crooks is set in San Francisco. It's kind of similar to Great Pretender but subverts the whole "explain poo poo afterwards with a series of arbitrary asspulls" trope by the entire cast being fuckups who can't do anything right except the one female character who is actually semi-competent but also wants nothing to do with their poo poo.

It also has cool superhero stuff happening to distract you from the bad plot.

Edit: I just remembered Cut Along The Dotted Line, which is in Italian, set in Italy and made by an Italian screenwriter. You might argue that it doesn't count as anime and also is obviously not "how Japan thinks about Italy" but it's really good and you should watch it anyways.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arc Hammer posted:

Uhhh, Black Lagoon!?

Come on, folks!