Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sickening posted:

Let’s not forget that multi session host pools for windows 10 can’t join aad only intune beacuse reasons.

This isn’t true anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

Teams is second best in two major product categories and does a solid job of tying those features together into a cohesive whole.

Yes, Zoom has better video conferencing, chat its chat is poo poo.

Yes, slack has better chat but poo poo video.

Neither does file sharing and collaboration as well as teams, and as bad as it is, teams has way better data management than either.
Pisses me off that the arrow keys in the text entry box of Teams stops working half the time

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Really hate when someone is up my rear end for a fix or update for something....after handing it over you never hear from them again

Did it work? Did you not end up using it? Do you just not care? (X)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I opened a ticket to get internet access added to one of our servers, and it be placed in the SSL Bypass group (because they didn't setup their SSL inspection quite right)

Denied.

I provided examples of a ticket last month where we did the same thing for 3 other servers after I spoke with the SECURITY TEAM and showed them what was happening

Approved

BTW BOB WE NEED A SCREENSHOT OF THE ANTIVIRUS CLIENT ON THAT MACHINE

It's Linux bitch we don't have AV on those

SORRY

Anyway, I figured out that I went about this the wrong way - our datacenter team can give our servers internet access. So it's best to just ask them and we don't have to deal with the network and security folks.

Then some super helpful person replied to my ticket. "Have you installed the ssl certificates in the special way for your application?" (https://help.zscaler.com/zia/adding-custom-certificate-application-specific-trusted-store)

Did you look at any of the logs or screenshots in the ticket or the other tickets that are linked? Jesus christ.

Where do I apply to be a professional copy/paster?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

i am a moron posted:

This isn’t true anymore

Since when? It was true two months ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There are the usual caveats of being Azure AD-only but it's out of preview now

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/deploy-azure-ad-joined-vm

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea I just learned this on some AVD project that kicked off two weeks ago

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

i am a moron posted:

Yea I just learned this on some AVD project that kicked off two weeks ago

Fun. I went down this rabbit hole REALLY hard a few months back and there were conflicting pieces of documentation over this topic. I went through every tier of support hell only to get to someone said "oh yeah, this document that says it will work is wrong, sorry."

Glad its now working. Because the "preview" version of this didn't work. it only worked for hybrid joined.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Even if I had nothing else to do, a meeting request that comes with no notice and without some sort of contrition in the invite doesn't get attended.

Oh I agree, but because we all got the popup before we even saw the email (most of us don't leave Outlook in the foregound while working), we all collectively were like "poo poo, did I forget a meeting with the boss" dropped our work and panic joined, then figured it out in the time it took him to literally show up 10 minutes late with Starbucks (only it was the work's coffee pod machine output)

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

SyNack Sassimov posted:

First off, wow, my first thread title, thanks IE!

Second,

I'm no Colorfinger, and my voice is real out of shape after the last two years of not singing, but I can rip a karaoke track from YouTube no problem (edit: of COURSE I would NEVER do that that would be STEALING and it's wrong you hear me, wrong), plus I had an hour to waste today and plugins gloss over a lot of issues, so, voila.

https://voca.ro/1akNQxdrzwPL

edit: oh poo poo I admitted on the Internet that I'm a guy with a voice and I work in IT, gently caress how do I erase this
edit2: I'm actually a dolphin I just pretend online that I'm a guy so I don't get hit on by the Delphinidae fetishists
edit3: do you have any idea how hard it is to record and mix a track with flippers? Entire recording industry is biased against us. :mad:

I visited the forums for the first time in like a year, searched my name, found this, thoroughly enjoyed it, and now I want an IT themed Disney album with this, and the one that I did (and some others).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate when product guys live in their own bubble inhabited by spherical cows.

Hey, we should be able to do x.

"It doesn't work like that"

Yes, I know it doesn't work like that. What I'm telling you is that it should work like that.

"But we have feature y for that"

Feature y doesn't work in the real world because it's already used for a million other things and is error prone and manual. I want to be able to do x instead.

"It doesn't work like that."

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I love being encouraged to take initiative, put forward suggestions for improvements, and slap together a coherent argument for why "change the item order in this list" is not something that's worth an urgent hotfix.

And then being told "do it anyway". :geno:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
EU is likely to finally ratify the maligned DMA act, along with DSA( https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news...ine-environment ). The first is to let anyone get in into every core service from apple/google/facebook/whatever it counts as big tech, meaning that theoretically steam/apple app store/etc. cannot no longer hold their monopolies. DSA is something i've never heard until now, it makes every law concerning sale of real products and services apply to the web, meaning that if any weird law from the last century blocking whatever applies to your web firm, you are hosed and you need it to kill it yesterday.

Why it pisses me off? Because one of the doom scenarios is that ios must allow third party stores, and it's going to be a malware infestation to every parent/grandparent you made switch to iphones, cause they will click on every pop up and install whatever they push via banner/notification.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 6, 2022

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Wait, so you’re not enthusiastic about returning to The Internet Circa 2002 all so that the likes of Tim Sweeney can more efficiently wire credit card readers to slot machines?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Walled gardens were never going to last, the only positive take is we got a couple solid decades reprieve out of them. Now it's time for bonzi buddy 2.0

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

EU is likely to finally ratify the maligned DMA act, along with DSA( https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news...ine-environment ). The first is to let anyone get in into every core service from apple/google/facebook/whatever it counts as big tech, meaning that theoretically steam/apple app store/etc. cannot no longer hold their monopolies. DSA is something i've never heard until now, it makes every law concerning sale of real products and services apply to the web, meaning that if any weird law from the last century blocking whatever applies to your web firm, you are hosed and you need it to kill it yesterday.

Why it pisses me off? Because one of the doom scenarios is that ios must allow third party stores, and it's going to be a malware infestation to every parent/grandparent you made switch to iphones, cause they will click on every pop up and install whatever they push via banner/notification.

And now with entering the post-security world posted in the other thread:

https://www.cisa.gov/uscert/ncas/current-activity/2022/07/05/prepare-new-cryptographic-standard-protect-against-future-quantum

Its doom and gloom all the way down today.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ptier posted:

And now with entering the post-security world posted in the other thread:

https://www.cisa.gov/uscert/ncas/current-activity/2022/07/05/prepare-new-cryptographic-standard-protect-against-future-quantum

Its doom and gloom all the way down today.
The worst thing about this kind of article is that when you ask how exactly a quantum computer will break encryption they go "because quantum", and if you really push them they'll mutter something about it being faster.

At no point does anyone sit down and think what threat model your organisation has to have where you are worrying about quantum computer owning attackers and how few of that ~50 entities give a poo poo about your webstore selling cat t-shirts.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

The worst thing about this kind of article is that when you ask how exactly a quantum computer will break encryption they go "because quantum", and if you really push them they'll mutter something about it being faster.

At no point does anyone sit down and think what threat model your organisation has to have where you are worrying about quantum computer owning attackers and how few of that ~50 entities give a poo poo about your webstore selling cat t-shirts.

The main thrust is that there WILL BE a quantum computer that can do such a thing because math, and the kind of math those computers seem to be good at, at least theoretically. And eventually, they will be cheap and easy to acquire, as with all computing technology. If we start working on a successor to PKI then, it will be way too late. So, instead, lets do it now so that when it does happen, we at least have something to work with.

The real problem is that if there is a flaw in the algo, NSA has like a 50/50 shot of not telling anyone until its too late.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arquinsiel posted:

Because once they pop the key you used, everything you ever did that they were able to packet capture is now trivially readable? Making the standard and pushing people to it now means that in 15 years when quantum computers are expensive commodity hardware instead of bespoke fiddly research tools, most of the interesting-enough-to-hack parties are no longer using vulnerable crypto.

Now I wonder how long it would take one of the cutting edge quantum computers to break the wallet key for Satoshi's Bitcoin Hoard.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SlowBloke posted:

Does this mean there could potentially be an Android iMessage client?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ptier posted:

The main thrust is that there WILL BE a quantum computer that can do such a thing because math, and the kind of math those computers seem to be good at, at least theoretically. And eventually, they will be cheap and easy to acquire, as with all computing technology. If we start working on a successor to PKI then, it will be way too late. So, instead, lets do it now so that when it does happen, we at least have something to work with.

The real problem is that if there is a flaw in the algo, NSA has like a 50/50 shot of not telling anyone until its too late.
Well they're claiming that they've got one and it'll be released in two years, and either it works fine or the NSA have backdoored it, but either way this is basically just pointless scaremongering because any organisation that needs to care should just be plugging a new library into their existing suites and deprecating known weak suites as they're broken.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Because once they pop the key you used, everything you ever did that they were able to packet capture is now trivially readable? Making the standard and pushing people to it now means that in 15 years when quantum computers are expensive commodity hardware instead of bespoke fiddly research tools, most of the interesting-enough-to-hack parties are no longer using vulnerable crypto.

Now I wonder how long it would take one of the cutting edge quantum computers to break the wallet key for Satoshi's Bitcoin Hoard.
The first part is just what happens when any key gets popped and the party that popped it has captures. I've been hearing this same story of it being "any minute now" for almost 20 years, plus people are still using DES for TLS and the world hasn't ended.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Another day, another Marketing person demanding I make a change ASAP that turns out to be for something his department doesn't own that causes a production outage.

He went straight under that bus, you run an ASAP demand up the chain that causes an outage because you don't know what you're doing, you get to answer questions about it. Thankfully I was able to revert the change within 3 minutes of hearing about the outage since I had the original state saved in case it didn't work.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Sooooo, anybody else affected by the Network Solutions outage that has been on-going for over 24 hours now?

(p.s. what DNS providers does everyone recommend)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

route 53, azure dns, or cloudflare

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

I did not know people still used anything other than these.

(We have one client that has internet through Sonic and insists they keep DNS on them as well - nothing against Sonic, but ....really?)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I did not know people still used anything other than these.

(We have one client that has internet through Sonic and insists they keep DNS on them as well - nothing against Sonic, but ....really?)

Look, you don't want to mix and match your internet. Like how you don't google on Edge, or Bing with Chrome

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Does this mean there could potentially be an Android iMessage client?

Correct, so is a sea of fake whatsapp clients that snoop all the messages.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

SlowBloke posted:

EU is likely to finally ratify the maligned DMA act, along with DSA( https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news...ine-environment ).

This also requires *all messaging services* to be interoperable. WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, iMessage, Telegram, Signal... It's hilarious. Either they all dump their encryption (if any) or they give up and shut down. I'm very curious what's going to happen. :allears:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

This also requires *all messaging services* to be interoperable. WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, iMessage, Telegram, Signal... It's hilarious. Either they all dump their encryption (if any) or they give up and shut down. I'm very curious what's going to happen. :allears:

Companies are going to give up and shut down

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, every company will start an initiative to develop a new open messaging standard and none of them are compatible and they all refuse to adopt anyone else's.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

XMPP is back, baby!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I love being encouraged to take initiative, put forward suggestions for improvements, and slap together a coherent argument for why "change the item order in this list" is not something that's worth an urgent hotfix.

And then being told "do it anyway". :geno:

Don't ever become a consultant. The entire job is about having your suggestions ignored and being told to do it the dumb way instead.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Telegram is the only one that is pretty much compliant already, the api covers every user facing feature already, the rest of that list not so much.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Nah, every company will start an initiative to develop a new open messaging standard and none of them are compatible and they all refuse to adopt anyone else's.
If only there were an open messaging standard that Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Apple have all already supported publicly and many others still use internally to this day which is explicitly designed to support gatewaying messages between different networks...

Jeoh posted:

XMPP is back, baby!
:hmmyes:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Companies are going to give up and shut down

One can only hope. Alas, I doubt this will actually happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume OP was being facetious, but I'll bite anyways: chat is too important for anyone to shut it down. Anyone that's a big player is gonna fight hard to keep it available and be the ones to control whatever protocol gets used.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If it would take a regular old supercomputer 9,000 years to crack it, this experimental quantum computer can do it in less than a second:

https://twistedsifter.com/2022/07/quantum-processor-completes-9000-years-of-work-in-36-microseconds

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

If it would take a regular old supercomputer 9,000 years to crack it, this experimental quantum computer can do it in less than a second:

https://twistedsifter.com/2022/07/quantum-processor-completes-9000-years-of-work-in-36-microseconds

You probably meant this as a joke, but it's extremely misleading. Quantum computers aren't faster than regular computers in a general sense. Instead, there are certain algorithms that can only run on a quantum computer that are more computationally efficient than the best algorithms for a conventional computer. The opposite is true, as well. Certain encryption methods just happen to be vulnerable to some of those algorithms.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 7, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Fool posted:

Is there a reason not to use Google DNS? Been using it out of force of habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A month and a half into the new job and I'm getting really tired of the attitude for our AWS environment being "We can't do anything that will cost more money."